Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Nobody is jumping on him, it's just matter-of-fact. He's just the latest in a long line of people to give us an overview of big plans. These were previously cheques written but not cashed. So in terms of feeling graditude I don't anybody following TFC is going to accept anything but hard currency so to speak.

Promise whatever you want, but results are the bottom line. He'll have time to get those in the long run.
    Precisely.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit to being slightly troubled that Leiweke seems to believe that recreating the LA Galaxy is the goal.

What he would do better to be saying, and what I think is actually being worked on, is that creating a long term dynasty, involving DP's and a strategy, like was done in LA and in DC, is the goal.

Regardless, it will take time. But, expect a big name European signing this summer, although not necessarily a DP. I still have my fantasy of Iniesta, who would draw players and crowds and would be the best player in this continent since Pele. But, really, we'll have to see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laugh at the names being thrown around these forums...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ me too seems we're the new City or United.

At least he didn't take out a full page spread in the paper that's seems to be a MLSE MO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    ^ me too seems we're the new City or United.

At least he didn't take out a full page spread in the paper that's seems to be a MLSE MO.
    Haven't seen tomorrow's Toronto Sun yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I don't care if it's a message from a magic man in the sky.

Shut the fuck up and show us. I was sick of these videos years ago.

bang on brother..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Haven't seen tomorrow's Toronto Sun yet.
    True true lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    CR7 in 7-8 years. The only player who carries an image with people outside of the football world.
    Sooner then that if it happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beckham got a deal at PSG at 38 years old... they were willing to extend it
    you dont think CR7 will be back to get anything better than MLS at 35? Im not a fan of either of those pretty boys, but I think Ronaldo is a much better player than Beckham ever was.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, despite what some are saying this video isn't exactly what we've heard before. At least not to my ears.

Whereas Tom Anselmi and others speaking on behalf of the club utilized a lot of caveats and non-committal wording (we're going to try to do this or we want to do that), Tim tended to speak more concisely and confronted the issues more directly.

I'm certainly not saying his word should mean any more to us by all this - I'm firmly in the "talk is cheap" camp; but the message and it's delivery is definitely a change (albeit small) from what we've seen and heard before.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^So, Leiweke looking better in a promotional video than Anselmi did. That's a low bar.

You're making the case that he is better at performing. Said another way, he's better at pretending.

Yay.

Payne is suffering from the same thing, the need to be constantly "messaging" (the scourge of our times).

Enough.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took two years to land Beckham, I seriously doubt we'll see a Big Name this transfer window. Maybe we'll get one of Payne's young DPs, but getting a current Big Name will take time.
    EDIT: I'm assuming here Koevs is gone next year.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-07-2013 at 07:44 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The names being thrown out are based on what both Payne and Leiweke have said - the best player in MLS and like a Beckham. If none of it pans out, oh well. But it beats life with short pants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I hear "bring in a big name and that may attract better players" my mind can't help but to think it could translate to "let's get a massive name in to sell merchandise, fill the stadium, create a buzz, improve the TFC brand, get an advertising deal to pay for the big player, increase ticket prices back to higher profit margins....and maybe win more games".

I just can't believe ML$E will keep the "reset to beginning" ticket prices the same for very long. They WILL have to start increasing ticket prices again sometime and they need to tag that increase on something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say forget about the DP for this year. We're way off playoff pace, what's the point? I would just go with the team we have right now. With all the short term loans, players in and out, we lack consistency in our starting 11. And I don't blame guys for putting in less than 100% while the turnstile is going. If I were Nelsen I would tell the guys we have now they are the team from here out, we have the confidence in them, and go with them. Make the odd change if something presents itself, but stick with these guys now. Look at the DPs for next season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I say forget about the DP for this year. We're way off playoff pace, what's the point? I would just go with the team we have right now. With all the short term loans, players in and out, we lack consistency in our starting 11. And I don't blame guys for putting in less than 100% while the turnstile is going. If I were Nelsen I would tell the guys we have now they are the team from here out, we have the confidence in them, and go with them. Make the odd change if something presents itself, but stick with these guys now. Look at the DPs for next season.
    I'd be still looking for a young DP like Lopez for sure. That's actually all I think we should be looking at for now but if they want a huge splash one then I would only go for it if all the pieces just lined up and there was no choice but to act now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    I just can't believe ML$E will keep the "reset to beginning" ticket prices the same for very long. They WILL have to start increasing ticket prices again sometime and they need to tag that increase on something.
    You're right. Not to mention the upcoming CBA negotiations and potential salary cap adjustment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    You're right. Not to mention the upcoming CBA negotiations and potential salary cap adjustment.
    With the 2nd NY team coming they're going to have to increase the cap so that NY can spend more to get it's base and then spend retarded money on it's DP's to be instantly potential champions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the 2nd NY team coming they're going to have to increase the cap so that NY can spend more to get it's base and then spend retarded money on it's DP's to be instantly potential champions.
    Good point. NY is a massive market for MLS and I'm sure they will do what they can to make significant inroads into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ For sure MLS and Garber will be running the ship to allow NY2 to be a powerhouse out if the gate. I would expect them to changes the rules of the game ala LA bringing in Becks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    +1. Nicely put.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get the DP now, that way he has the rest of the season to get use to the mls and can develop some chemistry with laba if its an AM signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything they do at this point will have an eye to the next season seat renewal. While not getting a DP now makes sense from a team perspective they need something to hang their hat on when it comes to pushing seasons seats at the end of the year. I guarantee some sort of washed up big name will be making an appearance later this summer.

If they do not get a 'washed up big name' or better they will have nothing to use to sell tickets. And that is the bottom line for them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It bothers me that he seems to think he can "fix" TFC by bringing in a ridiculously famous DP level player.

He can't. There's a lot, lot more to fix than that, on the pitch and off it.

Until the FO grasps hold of that fact, we're not going to move forward.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    It bothers me that he seems to think he can "fix" TFC by bringing in a ridiculously famous DP level player.

He can't. There's a lot, lot more to fix than that, on the pitch and off it.

Until the FO grasps hold of that fact, we're not going to move forward.
    Oh it fixes TFC all right.
    Fixes price increases.
    Fixes merchandise.
    Fixes ticket renewals.
    Fixes profit margins.

Shame none of that matters to us though........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so when do we make a 'Welcome Fearless Leader' banner with TL on it
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I know people keep laughing but I think we are going to end up with Rooney.

He fits the bill better than anyone else around right now, only equal would be C. Ronoldo.
    Has two more years to run on his contract - the transfer fee being talked about is £30 million. He is on a reported £250k/week, we'd need to pay more than that to get him to leave the top of the game and Champions League football behind (if he would even consider). I just don't see it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    There is nobody close to Beckham when it comes to being recognized by many.

He's English and the ladies love him and know him because of his wife. There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Sooooooo.....Lieweke needs to find somebody that brings a lot of stardom as well as being a great player that can help. There are plenty of those. Either of the two you mentioned would do just fine.

I'd be hesitant to go with a striker though. He'd never get the service he'd want. A midfield general is the way to go. A Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Gerard TYPE.

Not those guys necessarily...but that type of player.
    Yaya Toure - cant think of a single better DP for this league. Rooney would be up there though. Can score, can bring others into the game, strong as hell and good at dropping deep to pick up possession when not getting service. Neither would come though.

Not sure a forward would be a waste though. Look at what Danny K was doing when fit. Banging them in for fun with no service. But I'd prefer a midfielder like you mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The names being thrown out are based on what both Payne and Leiweke have said - the best player in MLS and like a Beckham. If none of it pans out, oh well. But it beats life with short pants.
    Kaka is really the only player I can think of that fits the bill and is actually feasible. Shame he's crocked...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict changes to make it easier for clubs to spend their own $$$ on transfer fees.