Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stance has not changed on TFC since the end of last season.

I beleive nothing they say, I believe only what I see. I've listen to lip service from the organization for 6 years, I'm done with that now.

That is no condemnation of the people in charge or what they are doing, just a simplified view that I have taken after years of getting my hopes up and then being disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after."

Kaka? (He's not Beckham brand level tho). Drogba? Maybe? I don't even know who else?

I can't think of a lot of people who we could realistically get, who would create that buzz that gets soccer watching non-TFC fans to go to a game at BMO and who could attract other players. Kaka doesn't for me. Maybe Drogba but he may have lost that with his China fiasco. Tevez would get people to BMO but not sure it would get other players here (although Payne does seem to have something for Argentinian players). I really don't know either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after.

Kaka? (He's not Beckham brand level tho). Drogba? Maybe? I don't even know who else?
    If that is the quote, it implies attracting other players with the DP, not fans. Player doesn't need to be a household name for that, but someone of quality to show we mean business and make other players want to follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we could get a high level player from one of the markets we've been looking at a lot (Argentina, Honduras for example), it might be enough to get other younger, more affordable players to follow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after.

Kaka isn't near that level really and Drogba is too old now. There aren't any big splash guys like Beckham out there for sure. He was a one of a kind for publicity so it'll have to be a guy on that next peg down like Henry. Because Payne is in the mix too I would assume the player would have to be good as well. Maybe Gerrard, although seemingly a lifer at Anfield, might be just about done at Liverpool. Not sure how long he can continue to play in Rodger's system. Midfield is getting a bit crowded and ran better when he was out with Henderson, Lucas, & Coutinho leading the way.

Also, I think the DP appeal for Lieweke isn't just to lead to better players (and results) coming to TFC but to expand the brand to other markets, drive up advertising costs, and make lotsa cash.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 06-06-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really isn't any is there.

The difference between bringing a Beckham type player is it appealed to everyone, Media, Stars,Glamour, Football Fans (like him or not).
    Bringing in a Messi, Kaka, Drogba, will only appeal to Football Fans.
    Just a thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anselmi, Cochrane, even Beirne, all own the mess ... and all are still there, Tim.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Anselmi, Cochrane, even Beirne, all own the mess ... and all are still there, Tim.
    Beirne basically does little for/with the first team now and Anselmi is so off in the wilderness collecting cheques he probably has no idea TFC's record anymore. Cochrane is still in the mix but as log as they keep him in some cubical in the bowels of BMO crunching numbers utilizing his used car salesmen prowess then he means little to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Beirne not part of the business management side whose ticket pricing practices has eroded the base of the club?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Was Beirne not part of the business management side whose ticket pricing practices has eroded the base of the club?
    Yup but that fucks us. Not the first team directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yup but that fucks us. Not the first team directly.
    Yeah, but they should be looking at the whole picture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CR7 in 7-8 years. The only player who carries an image with people outside of the football world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gareth Bale. In 10 or so years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know people keep laughing but I think we are going to end up with Rooney.

He fits the bill better than anyone else around right now, only equal would be C. Ronoldo.

Even Lampard (whom I love) wouldn't do the trick. It needs to be someone that pretty much everyone knows whether they watch soccer or not.

Kaka is not that player.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot build a reputation on what you say you are going to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beirne basically does little for/with the first team now and Anselmi is so off in the wilderness collecting cheques he probably has no idea TFC's record anymore. Cochrane is still in the mix but as log as they keep him in some cubical in the bowels of BMO crunching numbers utilizing his used car salesmen prowess then he means little to me.
    I'd rather they just get rid of them all. Basically these guys were the cancer and they're just in remission - they'll come back if given the chance.

The weird thing about Anselmi that has me concerned is at the start of the season I've heard first hand about him schmoozing with people (business) re TFC going on how they've got the right guy (Payne) to lead the team, this time they've got it right, etc ... which was either him being a great BS artist that he has any involvement or somehow he is still trying to have his paws on the sports side. I hope it's the former.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nobody close to Beckham when it comes to being recognized by many.

He's English and the ladies love him and know him because of his wife. There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Sooooooo.....Lieweke needs to find somebody that brings a lot of stardom as well as being a great player that can help. There are plenty of those. Either of the two you mentioned would do just fine.

I'd be hesitant to go with a striker though. He'd never get the service he'd want. A midfield general is the way to go. A Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Gerard TYPE.

Not those guys necessarily...but that type of player.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    That is a bit of brilliance there Coach
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    There is nobody close to Beckham when it comes to being recognized by many.

He's English and the ladies love him and know him because of his wife. There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Sooooooo.....Lieweke needs to find somebody that brings a lot of stardom as well as being a great player that can help. There are plenty of those. Either of the two you mentioned would do just fine.

I'd be hesitant to go with a striker though. He'd never get the service he'd want. A midfield general is the way to go. A Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Gerard TYPE.

Not those guys necessarily...but that type of player.
    Ozil? I think with Laba and just about ANYONE up top they could unleash a hail of shots never before seen in MLS
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of discussion.

Nice words from Leiweke, and I even believe he means it. I also thought Anselmi genuinely meant it too. Wanting to deliver the goods isn't the same as delivering the goods.

Take some decisive and successful actions to this effect, and I'll give all the credit in the world. Until then, it's just more words.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, here. If I could plus rep this I would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Ozil? I think with Laba and just about ANYONE up top they could unleash a hail of shots never before seen in MLS
    Wow..that would be nice. But if we're talking pipe dreams give me Marco Verratti. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs to clean out the TFC office and I don't mean Nelsen or Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it seams like he has the desire to win and to turn the team around... similar to what the previous regime had. The big difference this time is i believe we have competent management in place now with TL, and Payne at the helm.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We knew going in this season was a write-off. Lets just hope the rest of it gives management the information they need to turn things around. I think overall TFC needs to find an identity both on and off the pitch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the late Al Davis once said, "Just win, baby!"
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

Nice words from Leiweke, and I even believe he means it. I also thought Anselmi genuinely meant it too. Wanting to deliver the goods isn't the same as delivering the goods.

Take some decisive and successful actions to this effect, and I'll give all the credit in the world. Until then, it's just more words.

- Scott
    Difference between Lieweke & Anselmi is that Liewke has done what he is promising before and did it well. Anselmi accomplished nothing.

Lieweke just got here and was announced after our season started. He obviously had to take care of the Raptors first as they are a bigger team and now he has all summer to focus on TFC before the Fall brings the Leafs back into the picture. How about at least giving him one transfer window before jumping all over him and his promises?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody is jumping on him, it's just matter-of-fact. He's just the latest in a long line of people to give us an overview of big plans. These were previously cheques written but not cashed. So in terms of feeling graditude I don't think anybody following TFC is going to accept anything but hard currency so to speak.

Promise whatever you want, but results are the bottom line. He'll have time to get those in the long run.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-06-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its true... its all about winning...but the people that are comparing him to the previous stiff or stiffs that were running the club,are out to lunch.
    this guy has a track record and he loves soccer,would you guys rather have some corp monkey that will put TFC pg 9 of his agenda,we are lucky to have him.
    now get to work TIM...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between Lieweke & Anselmi is that Liewke has done what he is promising before and did it well. Anselmi accomplished nothing.

Lieweke just got here and was announced after our season started. He obviously had to take care of the Raptors first as they are a bigger team and now he has all summer to focus on TFC before the Fall brings the Leafs back into the picture. How about at least giving him one transfer window before jumping all over him and his promises?
    I haven't jumped on him at all, or his promises. I've pointed out that until something concrete materializes, it's just that - promises, and words. The stuff he said in this video could have been pulled, almost verbatim, from speeches Anselmi has given to us in the past.

I think Leiweke was a great hire, precisely because of AEG's cumulative track records under his leadership. That doesn't give this speech any more meaning, because it's the same speech we've heard for years. I don't get the warm fuzzies from speeches any more -- I'll be judging his actions.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens