Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Message from Tim Leiweke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOrK...ature=youtu.be

One could be cynical after all these years, but it sounds like he gets it. Can we believe him?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care if it's a message from a magic man in the sky.

Shut the fuck up and show us. I was sick of these videos years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I don't care if it's a message from a magic man in the sky.

Shut the fuck up and show us. I was sick of these videos years ago.
    Meaningless video. Put up or shut up; otherwise, it's just another corporate exec who thinks his secret toastmaster sessions give him an 'edge' at being convincing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results oriented business. Go get us some positive results, I don't care how.

.....but the optimist inside me is cautiously excited he might be the exec TFC has always needed. Someone who genuinely likes football! Must be dreaming again.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same old. We've heard all of this before, whether it's from the latest manager or from Anselmi. Until there are outcomes and results, all we have is words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense to us as citizens of Toronto, but it's probably a lot easier to sell Los Angeles to players in any sport. Beckham wanted Hollywood, not the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Regardless, lets see what Mr Leiweke can do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no winning us over until we're winning is the message I get.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have all the respect in the world for Tim Lieweke based on his exalted reputation and impressive track record, but I think we have all grown weary of putting any stock in the verbiage and platitudes emanating from the new management regime at MLSE. I'm also in the "show me the money" camp, then I'll get excited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing wrong with him putting this video out there, telling us what he wants to do, has done, and thinks he will do...

There's also nothing wrong with us, the paying fans/supporters from thinking/saying "...been here, heard that - show us results, don't just tell us they're coming..."

It's sounds cheesy but "only time will tell"... One thing is certain, time is running out on the foundation that was here in this city - it's crumbling fast...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I have all the respect in the world for Tim Lieweke based on his exalted reputation and impressive track record, but I think we have all grown weary of putting any stock in the verbiage and platitudes emanating from the new management regime at MLSE. I'm also in the "show me the money" camp, then I'll get excited.
    Exactly.

Besides, it's not like he'll front a video saying "You know what, we totally blow. And in fact, we'll continue to do so until you idiots stop giving us money." (although sometimes I wonder if MLSE thinks that)

P.S. Love your avatar. I'd prefer that on a third kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at this point i would take 2 wins in a row and the odd game at home where we score more then one goal..
    but we are lucky to have TIM...he is a soccer guy,they could of hired some corp guy who has no clue about soccer.
    in TIM i trust....

NO PAYNE NO GAIN

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, basically Tim needs to put up or shut up. We've heard NUMEROUS promises from this organization in the past.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We're going to fix that." - Tim Lieweke, 2013

"We're going to fix this." - Tom Anselmi, 2010

Heard it all before. Will hear it again in about 3 years.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not a cheerleader, and I dont consider myself a a footy N00b. (only a footy NORB lol)

But it comes down to choice.
    Either we choose to give people a chance, who have an honest desire to see TFC succeed and are willing to spend (read: sacrifice) part of their carreer to help it do so.
    Or we chose to discount any attempt by our questionable owners to improve our situation.

I've said before, I dont go for the product on the field, ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys I go for the lads in the stands.
    But it would be nice to win from time to time.

Tim, like all the other folks that have tried will get my support as they attempt to turn things around.

Good luck mate.
    trust us. . you bloody need it.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke just officially started his job now!

Right now, I except he will be busy with the Raptors more than TFC or Leafs. I think next summer will see more of Leiweke influence on this club.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

The only difference is that as a suit, Leiweke has more credibility than our favourite engineer.
    However, I doubt many will believe anything until/unless the team starts winning, myself included.

He talks about DPs, I don't even care that much if he managed to pick up Messi, we need a good team to start winning.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that video is missing is a plea to keep buying tickets.
    This fanbase is so jaded and tired of corporate words and slick marketing videos that anything you put out, other than wins, is a waste of time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talk is cheap. Time for results.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

Well there's the problem. All these years MLSE has been focused on fixing this, when all along they should have been focused on fixing that.

The clarity is blinding!

Anything short of a consistently winning team means nothing at this stage. Even one winning year can be a fluke. In the short tem, give me some free beer coupons every home game so I can stomach the visits to BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leadership starts at the top. It will be interesting to see if the organization responds. It was pretty obvious throughout his term that Anselmi never should have been in charge of TFC or any football club for that matter. He must be good at something.....not really sure why this guy made it so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I think this is HUGE.

Yes results matter but this guy is the top of the chain - the CEO of MLSE.

It matters a lot that he says he is passionate about the Leafs and Raptors but is VERY passionate about MLS and TFC. There is complete buy-in from the very top of the org re: TFC and where we're headed - imo that is solid. he states that they have to show it and we all agree but to have someone in his position with that committment and passion towards soccer is fantastic imho.

My point being we could very easily have got a 'hockey' guy as the CEO - a Bob McCown type that could care less for scoccer - so again, it is a very big deal - and yes now deliver...
    Last edited by backbeat; 06-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    talk is cheap. Time for results.
    bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the video is just his way of first contact with the fans. It is just his starting point. However, from an overall view I see some positives. We have always said the front office needs an overhaul. We now have Payne and Leiweke the 2 best football architects in MLS with a track record of success. We have improved coaching, maybe not great but improved. So let's see what they can do over the next 6 months.

Some of the moves Payne made have worked out, Earnshaw, Gale, Laba and some have not worked out "English League Retreads". I have always argued our problem has been in the midfield. We have two pieces of the puzzle with Orosio and Laba. Last game in the first half we had 70% possession of the ball and we played them even in the second half with only 10 men. When is the last time that happened if ever?

The biggest thing the front office has done is clear cap space and cleaned up all the dumb contracts. We now can be active in the summer transfer window and have 2 DP positions open. What the Front Office accomplishes in the next 60 days will be crucial and this is where we will see if they can deliver.
    Last edited by SKB; 06-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, heard most of that script before, but i do believe Tim is truly passionate about MLS and wanting to make TFC a championship side.

one thing stood out for me in what Tim said ... he basically said he is going to model TFC on LA Galaxy, he said he wants to bring the same attitude and environment from LA to here, and elaborated on spending resources getting DPs. My first thought when hearing that was to question whether that aligns with Payne's plans and goals here. IIRC Payne made similar comments when arriving that he wanted to use DCU as a model and acquire new players in a fiscally responsible manner. Some of you with more knowledge of MLS history can correct me if i'm wrong, but DCU never seemed to rely on DPs and big spending. I'm just concerned that we might have another situation where management is in conflict with each other, one guy wanting to get players on loans and short contracts and build a budget conscious team over time, and another guy ready to open the vault for the aging euro star players for immediate effect.

the other thing is Tim said he wants to come join us in the stands ... and i laughed out loud. love to hear it if it actually happens.

anyways, at this point i just want some stability and improvement and results ... the last thing i want is another round of back stabbing execs and managers with conflicting agendas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Payne said that at first, but is he really going to pass up the chance to bring in a possible world class player as a DP? He himself has been saying of late a DP is in the cards. So I don't think there is an issue of competing agendas. I do hope they don't forget you need 11 + quality guys to win, so hopefully they are addressing other areas of the team at the same time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is that through the first 6 years there were idiots at various levels running the club. Sometimes with idiot(s) at every level right from the field all the way up to Anselmi. What everyone needs to do is what Payne asked for in the beginning of his time; not to forget the first 6 seasons but to look at this new season as a start. I've been through the shit too so I know it's been righteously fucked up since before day 1 but this is the first time ever that when a big time TFC boardroom meeting goes down we've had a decent group of actual Football people with enough league clout and connections to get things done. I see Lieweke as the classic American sports CEO/Owner; do what it takes to win so you can start rolling in the money for years to come.

And as bad as it may be now last year was way worse from front to back. Considering that this season was openly called a rebuild year by everyone involved with the team I'm not sure what people were expecting to happen in the first half of this rebuilding year. It's right about what I expected minus the blowing leads in the 90th as I didn't expect us to have (m)any leads to blow by this stage.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    Some of you with more knowledge of MLS history can correct me if i'm wrong, but DCU never seemed to rely on DPs and big spending. I'm just concerned that we might have another situation where management is in conflict with each other, one guy wanting to get players on loans and short contracts and build a budget conscious team over time, and another guy ready to open the vault for the aging euro star players for immediate effect.
    I followed DC before 2007, they were my favourite MLS team.

Payne had to follow a frugal model with DC because the team didn't have deep-pocketed ownership and was losing money playing in crumbling RFK instead of its own SSS. When he was talking about using DC as a model, he didn't mean not spending on DPs, what he meant was intelligent cap management. TFC often overpaid their players, to the detriment of having a quality squad. Payne has proved himself well able to do that. Where Payne has less of a record is in signing high-priced talent, he'll have to prove himself in that.

Where the 2 differ isn't in getting DPs at all, rather Kevin would prefer to get young DPs who you can build a squad around for years to come, whereas Tim would prefer to make a splash with a "Big Name" DP. I'm sure they'll be able to work it out, they do respect each other it seems. Probably we'll get one of each.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    There's no winning us over until we're winning is the message I get.
    I think that would make an awesome banner

Big Square piece of material with the words:
    To: Tim Leiweke
    There's no winning us over until we're winning

With the RPB logo below.

Just a thought.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Initial B;1589421]"We're going to fix that." - Tim Lieweke, 2013

Darn..... That would also make a good banner!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after.

Kaka? (He's not Beckham brand level tho). Drogba? Maybe? I don't even know who else?