RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only question:

Did they give Hoilett a numbered shirt to wear while training and if so what number. Not that I'm at the store ordering the shirt or anything. But this guy is waiting to know.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim: what needs to be done with TFC
    A: A LOT, kevin payne has built 2 of the most successful teams in MLS.

HE speaks, and lets hope he has an idea of what the hell to do . .

TFC / TORONTO:
    aka THE ISLAND OF MISFIT TOYS

Looking for a game changer, that can lead us to a championship. . Like David Bekham. .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Dunfield is ready to get back on the field and help his team get back on a winning track.
    Honestly, if he can turn things around for this season, all the best.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Lieweke made a point of stating that he wants to assemble a team that can defend a lead and not concede goals in the final 15 minutes of matches.

He's obviously familiar with the history of our club, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The club announcement on Ephraim came several hours after the player landed in London. He had tweeted on the weekend that QPR wanted to end his loan spell so he would be “refreshed” for preseason.
    “Toronto it has been a pleasure - unbelievable people and treated me so well #muchlove,” he tweeted.
    Could this be the first time a player left our organization and had positive things to say? I can recall those that complained, and many stayed quiet, but very few offered up compliments. The only other off the top of my head might be Carl Robinson, but I can't recall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's also the flavor of the month, our lack of finishing games out. Words are just that I want to see actions. If Lieweke has the taken to bring us around all the more to him. Unfortunately I'm not so convinced by words from FO/Presidents/Coaches. Need to see proof were moving in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Looking for a game changer, that can lead us to a championship. . Like David Bekham. .
    And they wonder why Landy Cakes ran way to Africa for half a season.

Hate to say it, but some of Tim's ideas about the game seem really misplaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^maybe landy cakes can run away to Toronto :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And they wonder why Landy Cakes ran way to Africa for half a season.

Hate to say it, but some of Tim's ideas about the game seem really misplaced.
    He did actually put together the best team in the MLS. And Beckham was part of that. You have to remember that signing Beckham clearly wasn't just down to footballing reasons. The other players that he (Becks) attracted to LA improved the whole team immensely. Sometimes it isn't one that one star player brings to the field, its what that player attracts to the team overall.

Bringing Kaka (at the end of his career) wouldn't be bringing Messi to Toronto, but the crowd and other players that would follow Kaka's arrival would be crazy!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    He did actually put together the best team in the MLS. And Beckham was part of that. You have to remember that signing Beckham clearly wasn't just down to footballing reasons. The other players that he (Becks) attracted to LA improved the whole team immensely. Sometimes it isn't one that one star player brings to the field, its what that player attracts to the team overall.

Bringing Kaka (at the end of his career) wouldn't be bringing Messi to Toronto, but the crowd and other players that would follow Kaka's arrival would be crazy!
    Beckham seem to also be a good teacher as well. You need someone who other players can learn from - That's how teams and players get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we’re going to be coming at from different directions on this one.

Watching LA games, reading the body language of the players, reading about Beckham, his arrival in LA and the whole deal… I very much doubt that guy is the leader in the locker-room. That’d be like the President of a 100B dollar company coming down from the C-suite to be the shop foreman. The other guys might admire his success and he might still be a great person but he has nothing in common with the run-of-the-mill guy on that team. On the field as well, he’s not the guy keeping them organized or constantly chattering. He stood over the dead balls and does his job on the wing on a superstar level, but anything additional to that in terms of on the field stuff is waxing poetic. LA is successful because they have a well balanced team and a great coach, that's really the full-stop to it.

Yeah Kaka would be a nice guy to have here, it would marginally increase attention to our team, but in the end nobody is going to have a beckham like impact because he really is one of a kind, once in a generation type player in terms of his profile. Even if we signed the best player in the world (whoever you want to call that) it would be up in the air if we could draw as much attention as Beckham did. It was basically headlining the mainstream media news cycle for more than a month. That’s like running around in a storm and catching every bolt of lightning in a bottle.

Not that concerned with the recruitment aspect of it. Think it's more important TFC starts using more soft measures to take care of the average player and help them adjust to moving here than worry about trying to draw galacticos style talent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Could this be the first time a player left our organization and had positive things to say? I can recall those that complained, and many stayed quiet, but very few offered up compliments. The only other off the top of my head might be Carl Robinson, but I can't recall...
    Plenty of players have had good things to say after leaving. Wynne is one example, would still drop by to visit office staff years after leaving. Even some of the guys that had a bad time with MoJo or other specific coaches/managers, would often make a point of praising the organization (or certain parts of it) after leaving. I think maybe even Ali Gerba, who was probably the most vocal in his complaints?

I think it has changed over time, with different regimes, managers, coaches, and players. Different players have had different beefs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I see lots of players that would provide what they seem to be looking for. Iniesta for example?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaka would be nice, even at the end of his career, but given that his name hasn't been mentioned by any of the sports journalists, I don't think there's any sign that he's coming here any time soon, or anywhere else in MLS for that matter.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you need to give Arena credit on this as well. IMO if he wasn't there LA would be hovering around like NYRB, not to mention the Galaxy was stabilized by many players he coached at the USMNT - they probably wouldn't have come were it not for Arena.

Don't forget before this - Becks got to pick the coach and LAG were complete garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    My only question:

Did they give Hoilett a numbered shirt to wear while training and if so what number. Not that I'm at the store ordering the shirt or anything. But this guy is waiting to know.
    He was wearing #26, FWIW.

John Molinaro

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    He was wearing #26, FWIW.

John Molinaro
    Hahaaaaaaaa, Thanks John!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I think you need to give Arena credit on this as well. IMO if he wasn't there LA would be hovering around like NYRB, not to mention the Galaxy was stabilized by many players he coached at the USMNT - they probably wouldn't have come were it not for Arena.
    Yeah, it was a great idea to appoint the coach Payne brought to MLS -- based on his history in DC you could tell he would be a good pick-up!