Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bobby Convey thread

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05...s-bobby-convey

Dude lost a lot of fire he used to have and seems to be coasting along. SKC is pretty stacked though and Convey at 200k is too expensive for depth player. Salary dump move by SKC, but a move to Toronto may be what Convey needs to rejuvenate his career. I like having natural left footer as a winger. Can't argue with Convey's pedigree, and his age at soon to be 30. He has been playing professional since his teen days. Hopefully he's got something left in his tank
    Last edited by Yohan; 05-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this means goodbye Bostock or Ephraim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put him in at LB makes more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, good depth move

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Put him in at LB makes more sense.
    I think Convey was pissed at Yallop because Yallop made him play LB
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all we've given SJ I really hope this is a change of scenery that lets him steps up his game.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    After all we've given SJ I really hope this is a change of scenery that lets him steps up his game.
    Hes coming from KC, where his last good stretch of playing time was over a year ago.
    Desperately need a wide (left) sided player, hopefully he can contribute as a short term fix.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golaso.gol View Post
    Hes coming from KC, where his last good stretch of playing time was over a year ago.
    Desperately need a wide (left) sided player, hopefully he can contribute as a short term fix.
    haha nice call. Don't know why I just assumed we were doing another trade with SJ I guess.

Nagamura and Peterson hardly make the same argument for me...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So this means goodbye Bostock or Ephraim.
    Wouldn't be surprised if this trade means Ephraim is leaving soon. Convey's a LM and makes roughly the same money as Hogan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya... SKC has SUCH a stacked midfield that I don't think being benched for Joseph, Nagamura, Feilharber, Sapong, Zusi is bad, I would take ANY of those players over Lambe or Ephraim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the move. He's much better at wide midfield than full back, and I expect him to be used higher up the field. I can imagine that's the end for Bostock, not Ephraim.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I read this article in Nelsen and Caldwell's voices. The narrator was Morgan Freeman.

Full disclosure: I don't know what Caldwell sounds like. So he sounds like Mike Myers doing Shrek.
    Gold
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convey was playing Left Winger in SKC's 4-3-3 at the start of the season, but hasn't got much a sniff at the field since. Regardless, he's an immediate upgrade in quality and I'm sure he'd be available for Saturday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Convey was playing Left Winger in SKC's 4-3-3 at the start of the season, but hasn't got much a sniff at the field since. Regardless, he's an immediate upgrade in quality and I'm sure he'd be available for Saturday.
    Probably one of the best trades this team has ever made. The team needs to add, not subtract, good American MLS players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gave up a third-rounder for him? Basically a bag of balls. I'll take that deal.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proven domestic player, I like it.

What's his health status?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Proven domestic player, I like it.

What's his health status?
    stuck chasing nurses all the time

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convey is partially blind in his left eye due to optic nerve damage.
    -wikipedia

Lenscrafters for new TFC sponsor

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year, the only supplemental draft pick making his name heard is Adam Jahn for San Jose Earthquakes (crazy, since they also pulled Wondo out of the later rounds), but Toronto's picks were Taylor Morgan, Jose Gomez, Nik Robson and Ashton Bennett, so Convey is a good trade for a player of that quality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Probably one of the best trades this team has ever made. The team needs to add, not subtract, good American MLS players.
    Exactly right. The biggest problem with this team has been failure to identify and acquire MLS talent. This move is a step in the right direction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    KC supporters seem to say he is an injury problem but from 2011 earlier he seemed okay. Seemed great in 2010. For a supplemental pick we can't complain especially before seeing him play. Would have to be an upgrade on Lambe at least and good cover for when Ephraim is returned from loan.
    at 200k I hope he's a starter most games.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convey was was available because KC has CJ Sapong and Zusi in his place.
    Why can't TFC find a CJ Sapong or Graham Zusi instead of the player he benched?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    at 200k I hope he's a starter most games.
    KC may be picking up some of his hit (personal speculation), also IIRC because the season has started he is not full cap hit.

If we nix Ephraim it may be a man for man trade + we end up with an extra international spot.

I would take a bag of balls over the third round draft pick, at least you don't have to feed the balls.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Today? Tomorrow? For all you know we have the next Sapong in our academy, he's just not mature yet.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dood, Graham Zusi is a diamond in a coal mine. He is better than players who make 20x as much (he gets $140k)

One does not just 'find' a player like Zusi, you get Bekker/Osorio and you make Zusi out of him.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Today? Tomorrow? For all you know we have the next Sapong in our academy, he's just not mature yet.
    Haha - image of the TFC Academy all sitting round the field after practice, and one by one standing up and shouting: I'M SAPONG!

We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because we (and the rest of MLS) hasn't drafted as well as KC has over the past few seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    One does not just 'find' a player like Zusi, you get Bekker/Osorio and you make Zusi out of him.
    Interesting comment. Of course it brings up the question whether we believe the current coaching team (sorry i have lost count of how many coaches we have) are capable of taking young talented players like the two you mentioned and getting the best out of them over the long term so they become excellent. Our track record and current situation surely suggests otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I hope your right. My comment was a hypothetical, questioning the performance of our Academy so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting comment. Of course it brings up the question whether we believe the current coaching team (sorry i have lost count of how many coaches we have) are capable of taking young talented players like the two you mentioned and getting the best out of them over the long term so they become excellent. Our track record and current situation surely suggests otherwise.
    Also based on our track record, we'll be doomed to never get the best out of our players and we'll never make the playoffs...ever.