Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post - Game 11: Columbus at Toronto, Sat 18 May, 5pm

TFC welcomes the Piss stains to BMO Field. At least we pissed off Crew supporters by stealing one of their former legends Duncan Oughton from them.

Don't worry. Columbus will score a late goal to draw again. It is like a given. For once I'd like to see TFC not give up a late goal. That would be a sign of progress in my mind.

--------------Bendik
    -Ben Haim-Henry-O'Dea-Emory
    -Brockie--Laba--Hall--Ephraim
    --------------Silva
    -----------Earnshaw

Bench
    Frei
    Caldwell
    Boss
    Bostock
    Osorio
    Bekker
    Braun
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 days...........SO LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    10 days...........SO LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.
    frankly, I need the ten days to get unpissed at TFC. I do expect a better showing against Columbus. I hope the players know that after Montreal, Columbus is considered another derby match.

Well, hopefully Oughton will remind them of that fact.

10 days also to get Caldwell, ben Haim and Brockie to get integrated into Nelsen's set up
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

highlights were not kind to Henry's defensive moments last game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tal ben Haim played 90mins for QPR last Sat, so he's should be good for 90mins for TFC

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is also a reserve game scheduled against Piss stains reserves at 8pm, also at BMO Field

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    There is also a reserve game scheduled against Piss stains reserves at 8pm, also at BMO Field
    I'll be curious to see if Koef plays in the reserve game. If not, he's not a month away like some have said.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry. Columbus will score a late goal to draw again. It is like a given. For once I'd like to see TFC not give up a late goal. That would be a sign of progress in my mind.
    Times they are a-changin' in TFC land. I think Columbus will score to win the game in the 75th minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're leading in the 80th minute and still have all our subs, I'd like to see him stick three extra defenders in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Lambe in the 18 Yohan? Can't see that happening. I see Brockie and Silva starting out wide.

Only reason I have Silva out wide is because we need Braun with the way we're playing. He helps us a lot in retention of possession when we run out of ideas and play it long.

Personally I think I'd try a 4-1-2-1-2 with Laba DM and Silva AM, but Hall is playing fairly well and I don't think Nelsen wants to break up the defensive CM tandem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik
    Haim-O'Dea-Caldwell-Richter
    Lambe-Laba-Hall
    Silva
    Brockie-Earnshaw

you heard it here first.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we figure a Spanish chant for Higuain about his little brother being WAAAAY more successful than him?

Maybe : Su papi quire Gonzalo más (grammar help appreciated)

(your dad likes Gonzalo more)

That may actually cut deep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Can we figure a Spanish chant for Higuain about his little brother being WAAAAY more successful than him?

Maybe : Su papi quire Gonzalo más (grammar help appreciated)

(your dad likes Gonzalo more)

That may actually cut deep.
    how about "douchhhbbaaaggggg...."?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the highlights of yesterday's Crew loss to Colorado and couldn't help noticing all of the Barbasol advertising.
    And for some reason an old song popped into my head.
    Would be nice if they played this song the odd time at BMO Field during our match against them on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------------Bendik
    -Ben Haim-Henry-O'Dea-Emory
    -Brockie--Laba--Hall--Ephraim
    --------------Silva
    -----------Earnshaw
    I think we'll go 4-3-3

-------------Bendik
    --Ben Haim--Caldwell--O'Dea--Emory
    -----Laba---Silva---Hall-------
    Earnshaw---Braun---Brockie

He's brought Brockie in to score goals, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think we'll go 4-3-3

-------------Bendik
    --Ben Haim--Caldwell--O'Dea--Emory
    -----Laba---Silva---Hall-------
    Earnshaw---Braun---Brockie

He's brought Brockie in to score goals, I think.
    I don't think Silva is suited for a place in a midfield three. He's best just behind the strikers, and you need players who can dictate play from deeper positions in the midfield three. Also I think Earnshaw would be pretty ineffective out wide. If you're going to play 4-3-3, put Silva in the front three instead of Braun or Earnshaw (who's way off form anyway) and put Osorio or Bekker in midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't think Silva is suited for a place in a midfield three. He's best just behind the strikers, and you need players who can dictate play from deeper positions in the midfield three. Also I think Earnshaw would be pretty ineffective out wide. If you're going to play 4-3-3, put Silva in the front three instead of Braun or Earnshaw (who's way off form anyway) and put Osorio or Bekker in midfield.
    Earnshaw is a class player, a better dribbler than most and would probably be quite fine wide. But that's not what I meant. He's playing as a wide forward, not a winger, in that formation. The two dms sit back, silva comes up in behind the target man. The two wide fowards are channeled to the edge of the box, not the byline. Then they can either cut inside for a chance or feed silva or braun.

EDIT: Perhaps if I don't express it as a 433 (almost all of these are 433 variations but anyway...) :

---------------Bendik
    Ben Haim -- Caldwell -- Odea -- Emory
    ---------Laba-------Hall
    ---------------Silva------------------
    ----Earnshaw--Braun--Brockie

The Fullbacks sit back, so that they can't just punish us wide by stretching our defensive midfielders. We play a defensive one-way game, and an offensive one- way game, where the four attackers are responsible for all of the goalscoring load. Silva is the only one who really plays two ways, and that's largely cover, because Laba and Hall act as anchors. If one of them is played into the flow of an offensive move and heads into an attacking part of the field, then silva briefly drops back to cover that role.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-12-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen putting a line up with 4-3-3 formation and playing with 3 strikers at the same time? I would be shocked if Nelsen would play 3 strikers and more offensive formation starting of the game. He's too defensive/conservative to start with 3 strikers.
    Last edited by TFC07; 05-12-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Earnshaw is a class player, a better dribbler than most and would probably be quite fine wide. But that's not what I meant. He's playing as a wide forward, not a winger, in that formation. The two dms sit back, silva comes up in behind the target man. The two wide fowards are channeled to the edge of the box, not the byline. Then they can either cut inside for a chance or feed silva or braun.

EDIT: Perhaps if I don't express it as a 433 (almost all of these are 433 variations but anyway...) :

---------------Bendik
    Ben Haim -- Caldwell -- Odea -- Emory
    ---------Laba-------Hall
    ---------------Silva------------------
    ----Earnshaw--Braun--Brockie

The Fullbacks sit back, so that they can't just punish us wide by stretching our defensive midfielders. We play a defensive one-way game, and an offensive one- way game, where the four attackers are responsible for all of the goalscoring load. Silva is the only one who really plays two ways, and that's largely cover, because Laba and Hall act as anchors. If one of them is played into the flow of an offensive move and heads into an attacking part of the field, then silva briefly drops back to cover that role.
    If the game plan is hoofball, than I could see this formation working better than the flat 4-4-2 we've been playing. Braun takes down the longballs and lays them off to Earnshaw, Silva, or Brockie, with Silva being the pointman of the attacks. But it also has no potential for buildup play. With a lack of proper wide men and fullbacks sitting back, Hall and Laba would be completely crowded out. On the ball they would have no space, and no outlets other than Silva in the middle, likely marked. Off the ball they would likely get overrun unless Silva tracks back and does some serious pressing.

I feel like one of our major problems already is being unable to control the midfield due to subpar wide men. I don't see how taking away the wide men all together is going to help. Although I can see the logic in instead of trying to compensate the weakness of the team (inability to control the midfield), strengthen the areas we can (the striker force). If we resign ourselves to a longball system with no buildup, this could be a good formation for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC needs to jam the midfield. 4-5-1 with minimal use of the wings, we have nobody that can do shit out wide so you might as well bring everyone through the centre and play straight up the gut. On defence you try to crowd out the opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the game plan is hoofball, than I could see this formation working better than the flat 4-4-2 we've been playing. Braun takes down the longballs and lays them off to Earnshaw, Silva, or Brockie, with Silva being the pointman of the attacks. But it also has no potential for buildup play. With a lack of proper wide men and fullbacks sitting back, Hall and Laba would be completely crowded out. On the ball they would have no space, and no outlets other than Silva in the middle, likely marked. Off the ball they would likely get overrun unless Silva tracks back and does some serious pressing.

I feel like one of our major problems already is being unable to control the midfield due to subpar wide men. I don't see how taking away the wide men all together is going to help. Although I can see the logic in instead of trying to compensate the weakness of the team (inability to control the midfield), strengthen the areas we can (the striker force). If we resign ourselves to a longball system with no buildup, this could be a good formation for that.
    I think realistically that's the team we have. We don't have good enough wide players to compete in this league and we INEVITABLY end out headmanning .

So why not play to that? Makes sense to me and at least the expectations on each player are established.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if we are going to lose, let's do it with younger players and just build properly.

Bendik
    Richter/Eck- O'Dea - boss/Henry - Morgan/Eck
    Hall-Laba
    Osorio - bekker - Silva
    Braun

Let the kids play. We need some pieces, fine, but let's BUILD a team. Something long term.

Next year maybe we keep half as starters and replace half but we have young veterans, which imo is the most valuable asset to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking, that we actually have the pieces to do a 3-5-2 if the players can learn that formation. In Caldwell, Califf, O'Dea, Agboss, and Henry, we have an abundance of good CBs, and with our defensive problems it might not be a bad idea to play three of them against teams with only two strikers (most of them). In Morgan and Richter we have two high energy fullbacks who can attack and do some defensive work. Neither are that good at defending, so moving them up as wingbacks would be the ideal role for them, especially Morgan. Play Hall as the holding mid, Laba as the b2b, and either Silva as a #10, or Bekker as a deeper playmaker. Then play Earnshaw and Braun/Silva as the striker pair.

If the players could learn their roles, it could solve our wide problem, and make the most of the players we have. We wouldn't have to rely on our defensively shit fullbacks to defend anymore with a sweeper, so they would be free to do more of what they're actually decent at - which is bombing down the wings. Morgan might actually look like the player he was under Winter again.

^now does that not look like one heck of a better rounded team that covers more areas of the pitch than what we've been playing recently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking, that we actually have the pieces to do a 3-5-2 if the players can learn that formation. In Caldwell, Califf, O'Dea, Agboss, and Henry, we have an abundance of good CBs, and with our defensive problems it might not be a bad idea to play three of them against teams with only two strikers (most of them). In Morgan and Richter we have two high energy fullbacks who can attack and do some defensive work. Neither are that good at defending, so moving them up as wingbacks would be the ideal role for them, especially Morgan. Play Hall as the holding mid, Laba as the b2b, and either Silva as a #10, or Bekker as a deeper playmaker. Then play Earnshaw and Braun/Silva as the striker pair.

If the players could learn their roles, it could solve our wide problem, and make the most of the players we have. We wouldn't have to rely on our defensively shit fullbacks to defend anymore with a sweeper, so they would be free to do more of what they're actually decent at - which is bombing down the wings. Morgan might actually look like the player he was under Winter again.

^now does that not look like one heck of a better rounded team that covers more areas of the pitch than what we've been playing recently?
    I kinda like that. I'm not sure how much I trust hall to drop back and cover the hole in the line when we're pulled wide with the fullback up high, but it would be a better use, in terms of having some possession, than what we've been doing.

I still think Brockie will be a starter, and he's better suited from what we've seen to being a striker than winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[IMG][/IMG]

I want to see this. Laba and ecks working in tandem on the left both ways, and the more experienced Ben Haim assisting talented but inexperienced Osario on the right.

This style breeds fluid possession and chance creation possibilities and allows the team to stay compact on the defensive end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

I want to see this. Laba and ecks working in tandem on the left both ways, and the more experienced Ben Haim assisting talented but inexperienced Osario on the right.

This style breeds fluid possession and chance creation possibilities and allows the team to stay compact on the defensive end.
    I like AjaxTfc idea better, it gives us width

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I suspect we will get. (Not what I would prefer but what Nelson will do)

[IMG][/IMG]

I think Ephraim and Bostock are likely to be not seen as starters.

Ecks will fill in on the left as Silva will pinch in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I like AjaxTfc idea better, it gives us width

A 3 man backline would be a diaster with our personnel, and your wingbacks are better as Ecks(left) and Lambe(right).

Like I said before width is not something we need, we need ball retention.

The best idea other than mine is 451.

I am not playing a popularity contest so I dont expect people to jump up down about my suggestions..............but I know 3man backline is not the answer.

The formation I posted, Maximizes the potential we have in midfield. and Width will come naturally with ball movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What I suspect we will get. (Not what I would prefer but what Nelson will do)

[IMG][/IMG]

I think Ephraim and Bostock are likely to be not seen as starters.

Ecks will fill in on the left as Silva will pinch in.

Unbalanced. Lambe is to wide to be effective and and Sliva will be run ragged doing winger duties and hence none effective in the 3rd which will cause our creativity and strikers to suffer.

Imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brockie will need some good defensive cover behind him - he's not one to track back much.