Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
This link was posted elsewhere in the forum: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...n%20Loan/66774

But it brings up an interesting point in that the GM of the team feels the A-League off-season is too long (some have expressed that opinion about MLS too) and in a sense, a partnership between TFC and Wellington would make sense to resolve that problem (for those who agree it is one).

The two leagues play during each other's off-season. Brockie is obviously a top player for them. Wellington can loan us a top player or two in their off-season to expose them to higher level play. TFC in return can loan a squad player or two in our off-season in order to get them competitive game time that the reserve league doesn't really provide as much. Both leagues are salary-capped so there's not really cap-management issues (we can fit Wellington higher salaried players due to bigger cap and TFC squad players make less and would fit in better with the lower A-league cap) supposing the lending team doesn't pick up the tab entirely.

I could go and on but it seems to me there's a lot of potential in such a relationship. Thoughts?
I can see the potential benefits too. A League is lower quality than MLS, but still good level for developing players. Similar styles of play and even traveling requirements are same.

Problem is, A League has even more restrictions on foreign players and limited spots. Wellington would want players that can make immediate impact on first team. And they'd probably be limited to attacking players. And TFC won't like to give up players that can contribute to first team.

I'd like to see close coordination for TFC and Wellington to identify young players that needs game time, but can still contribute to Wellington. And very few TFC players fit that criteria IMO.