Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Jeremy Brockie thread

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...n%20Loan/66774

Loan until Aug. Article seems to say some sort of partnership is formed between TFC and Wellington
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well not many good players come from the A league so if he doesn't play too well, I wouldn't be surprised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brockie is no stranger to BMO Field having played here twice during the U20 World Cup for New Zealand.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, I'll admit I've only started supporting TFC since Nelsen took over as manager as I'm from New Zealand (and Nelsen's home city). Quick word on Brockie who plays for NZ's only professional team who I also support. He's a pacy striker who only really fulfilled his potential this season. He has a happy knack for scoring spectacular goals. If you look at his goals from his Newcastle Jets days, there aren't many tap-ins on there. He generally has pretty good finishing ability, and is quite clinical when he gets a chance, but does have games and even patches of games where he goes completely missing. Perhaps he won't do that in the MLS as he'll be keen to make a good impression. He's also equally adept on either wing, and has a good cross on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to transfermarkt, his market value is approx. $785,000, which isn't unreasonable if he were to perform in the MLS at the same rate as he did in the A-League. It also opens the door for scouting players in a league that has talented players that can adapt to North American football IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nztfc View Post
    Hey guys, I'll admit I've only started supporting TFC since Nelsen took over as manager as I'm from New Zealand (and Nelsen's home city). Quick word on Brockie who plays for NZ's only professional team who I also support. He's a pacy striker who only really fulfilled his potential this season. He has a happy knack for scoring spectacular goals. If you look at his goals from his Newcastle Jets days, there aren't many tap-ins on there. He generally has pretty good finishing ability, and is quite clinical when he gets a chance, but does have games and even patches of games where he goes completely missing. Perhaps he won't do that in the MLS as he'll be keen to make a good impression. He's also equally adept on either wing, and has a good cross on him.
    Nice - thanks for the report (and welcome to the world of TFC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome and thanks for your input. A little off-topic, but I think Wellington and TFC are somewhat mirrored in their situation. Both teams are/were for a time, that country's only team in a league mostly populated by teams in another, both leagues are up and coming, both are working under a salary cap, both have teams that failed (Tampa Bay, Miami, North Queensland, Gold Coast and NZ Knights), even both countries themselves as Canada and NZ have common history with a more populous neighbouring country sometimes adjudged to be obnoxious. This all being so, I've actually kept an eye on Wellington Phoenix as I feel there's a kinship with TFC. So welcome! I hope Brockie can also create goals from nothing here, we sort of need that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you enjoy following TFC. Prior to Nelsen, we actually spent some time last year having the worst professional record in the world. Hopefully Nelsen can work wonders.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. Those interested in seeing more of how this move is viewed can go to the link below. It's an aggregate of all news stories pertaining to TFC in the English-speaking world.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/North+America/MLS/Toronto+FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there a guy from Wellington who used to post on here occasionally? I'm thinking 3-4 years ago.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Wasn't there a guy from Wellington who used to post on here occasionally? I'm thinking 3-4 years ago.
    Yeh I don't remember his name but he was from their supporters group Yellow Fever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    It does indeed. However, the GM of Wellington clearly expects Brockie to come back so it pre-supposes the existence of a gentleman's agreement that TFC will not exercise its option to buy. It theoretically could, but then would be a pariah of a team worldwide (or at least in MLS and in the eyes of Wellington). Brockie seems to be a good player for Wellington and may turn out to be good as well with TFC, but it's still not the sort of player on which you'd want to ruin your reputation. Or alternatively, the two teams could agree on an exorbitant fee (such as $10 million, way in excess of any real market value) that TFC would never pay in order to satisfy the "option to buy" that MLS mandates and re-assure Wellington that it will get its player back.
    if Nelsen wants Brockie on a 3 months loan only, and no intention to buy, we have to ask, why? does he think TFC sucks so much on offence that he thinks Brockie's 3 months loan is worth it? or a temporary solution until Danny K is fit again? or TFC doesn't have any other strikers lined up and Brockie is the best option?

I think if Brockie does well enough, TFC will buy him. as much as Wellington might not like it, Wellington isn't exactly flushed with cash. a decent transfer fee will go a long way for that club. and Brockie may force the issue, with promise of higher wage and better quality football. he's got to be looking at Europe in the future and MLS is a stepping stone for him.

for TFC, Nelsen is hoping that Brockie turns out to be another Saborio. a star in lower quality league ends up panning out. if TFC manages cap space well, Brockie may even be bought for non DP status.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    if Nelsen wants Brockie on a 3 months loan only, and no intention to buy, we have to ask, why? does he think TFC sucks so much on offence that he thinks Brockie's 3 months loan is worth it? or a temporary solution until Danny K is fit again?
    This was my initial thought. Even when Danny is ready to return, he won't be ready for 90+ minutes. I imagine he'll be slotted in as a 65th minute sub for a few games, and then move over to starting and progressing 65/75/90 over a few weeks. Braun was the obvious initial cover for him, but with him injured (or not adequate enough), they need to look elsewhere. This also gives us a bit of overlap with Earnshaw's loan ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious, what do Wellington supporters think of this loan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Nelsen wants Brockie on a 3 months loan only, and no intention to buy, we have to ask, why? does he think TFC sucks so much on offence that he thinks Brockie's 3 months loan is worth it? or a temporary solution until Danny K is fit again? or TFC doesn't have any other strikers lined up and Brockie is the best option?

I think if Brockie does well enough, TFC will buy him. as much as Wellington might not like it, Wellington isn't exactly flushed with cash. a decent transfer fee will go a long way for that club. and Brockie may force the issue, with promise of higher wage and better quality football. he's got to be looking at Europe in the future and MLS is a stepping stone for him.

for TFC, Nelsen is hoping that Brockie turns out to be another Saborio. a star in lower quality league ends up panning out. if TFC manages cap space well, Brockie may even be bought for non DP status.
    All good questions. The best I can come up with, is that after Urruti fell through, this is a sort of plan B? I know we weren't exactly left with the impression that there was a plan B, but who knows? Your scenario would seem to fit TFC's preference to get players on loan first, to sample the merchandise in MLS before buying.

Just like when Nelsen was hired, TFC was vague on when he would join so as to not undermine QPR's position in the transfer market, perhaps an agreement was made so that the Wellington GM could insinuate that Brockie will be back. Losing one of their best players wouldn't be looked upon favourably, especially if they're selling season tickets for next year, for example. Payne is known to employ deception (case in point the MLS draft) so I wouldn't put it past him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, by all reports Brockie is... mercurial striker/winger? I like the fact that he seems to be able to use both feet. But questionable work rate?
    Last edited by Yohan; 05-08-2013 at 01:51 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, by all reports Brockie is... mercurial striker/winger? I like the fact that he seems to be able to use both feet. But questionable work rate?

Makes a pleasant change from the hard working donkey we sign all too often.

Might just be fun to watch!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brockie seems like a decent enough acquisition, but the real question is, can he prevent the opposition from scoring goals in stoppage time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I am curious, what do Wellington supporters think of this loan?
    Good deal for both parties. The A-League off-season is outrageously long. I think the off-season is longer than the season itself. The Phoenix spend this time playing meaningless friendlies against local amateur teams and invitational teams comprising local amateur footballers. Last year they chucked in a trip to India as well (hardly a stronghold of world football). A loan deal over part of our off-season is good for Brockie and good for the Phoenix, and good for the All Whites as well who have some important games coming up. As long as he doesn't break his leg or anything along those lines, its a perfect deal for the Phoenix and Brockie in my opinion.

Not sure what the arrangement is, but if he did well and ended up signing for TFC permanently, I would be more happy from an All Whites perspective than I would be disappointed from a Phoenix perspective.

Hope this helps.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....we havn't had many lazy and talented guys. A lot of lazy and used to be talented, yes.

Might take a bit of getting used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good deal for both parties. The A-League off-season is outrageously long. I think the off-season is longer than the season itself. The Phoenix spend this time playing meaningless friendlies against local amateur teams and invitational teams comprising local amateur footballers. Last year they chucked in a trip to India as well (hardly a stronghold of world football). A loan deal over part of our off-season is good for Brockie and good for the Phoenix, and good for the All Whites as well who have some important games coming up. As long as he doesn't break his leg or anything along those lines, its a perfect deal for the Phoenix and Brockie in my opinion.

Not sure what the arrangement is, but if he did well and ended up signing for TFC permanently, I would be more happy from an All Whites perspective than I would be disappointed from a Phoenix perspective.

Hope this helps.
    This. The more kiwis we get loaned out to decent clubs, the better - we have an important 2-leg World Cup qualifying game coming up this year and players need gametime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valeo View Post
    This. The more kiwis we get loaned out to decent clubs, the better - we have an important 2-leg World Cup qualifying game coming up this year and players need gametime.
    Do people in NZ view Toronto as a decent club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we're in any position to judge considering we were stone cold last this year

Decent club as in a good professional setup in a good league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COMMENTS FROM KIWI FAN:

Brockie’s from my hometown, Nelson, New Zealand and I’ve followed his career since he was a kid. Always showed a lot of potential in the local South Island leagues and then for Canterbury United in our NZ Football Championship. From there was signed by the predecessor New Zealand franchise in Australia’s A-League, the NZ Knights and started with a bang, scoring twice on debut in one of the side’s few wins that 2005-6 season. Then signed for Sydney FC, Australia’s wealthiest club then coached by former England international Terry Butcher but didn’t work out for him there and went on to more success with North Queensland Fury, Newcastle United and Wellington Phoenix.
    He's only become a regular goal-scorer in the last two A-League seasons. Even in the NZ national league he only scored a couple of goals before going to Australia. But he's really worked on that aspect and has been one of the biggest attacking threats in the A-League this season, scoring more goals than Sydney's super-star Del Piero or Emile Heskey, the former England international.
    Has been a useful and versatile player for our national teams at senior and age-group levels, first catching attention with a great goal vs. China at the 2008 Beijing Olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmTfMcWs_hs
    (Your new manager Ryan Nelsen was at centre-back as an over-age Olympic player in that game.)
    However, it’s an enigma to NZ fans that he’s never scored for our senior national team, the All Whites, in 36 appearances.
    More Brockie goals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM82dAsX0KM
    He's been used as a winger, midfielder and forward by our national team, and even did well filling-in as a wing-back on one occasion.
    A Brockie goal in “World’sTop 40 Amazing Goals” on major international site goal.com’s channel:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GUHL...iScn9sLSXirSUa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that you should've taken Durante instead..

Your problems are definitely at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valeo View Post
    I think that you should've taken Durante instead..

Your problems are definitely at the back.
    Definately would have been welcomed. Can you tell us more about the league? I am sure a lot us are interested in a scouting report from a league with some talented players. Players that have caught my eye and that could be good in the MLS IMO are Marco Rojas, Dani McBreen, Besart Berisha, Gui Finkler, Shinji Ono and Jerome Polenz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree on the Durante comment, a few good but not expensive defenders in the A -league, Durante on loan was looked into...Marco Rojas is going to Stuttgart, actually they have picked up a number of A-league players over the last few years. They are mid-table performers in a strong league so the quality players in the A -League should be consistent performers at least in the MSL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SiguenzaFC View Post
    Definately would have been welcomed. Can you tell us more about the league? I am sure a lot us are interested in a scouting report from a league with some talented players. Players that have caught my eye and that could be good in the MLS IMO are Marco Rojas, Dani McBreen, Besart Berisha, Gui Finkler, Shinji Ono and Jerome Polenz.
    As a Kiwi A-League follower (Wellington Phoenix fan) I can say the A-League is generally regarded as the third best league in Asia after (1) the J-League in Japan and (2) the K-League in South Korea. So it's head of China etc. Though it's only comprised of ten teams. Final standings for season just finished (click on a team name for details about that side):
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/aleague/ladder
    BEST PLAYERS IN THE A-LEAGUE (AS VOTED BY FANS THIS MONTH) TOWARDS SELECTING "ALL-STAR" TEAM TO PLAY MANCHESTER UNITED IN JULY:
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...-by-fans/66763
    (Click on a player's name for more details about them - in some cases you'll have to click on "Clubs" at the top of the page & then search individual clubs, clicking on "Players & Staff")
    Goalkeepers: 1.Mathew Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) / 2. Ante Covic (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 3.Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United) / 4. Michael Theo (Brisbane Roar) / 5. Nathan Coe(Melbourne Victory)
    Defenders: 1.Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Pedj Bojic (Central Coast Mariners) / 3.Patrick Zwaanswijk (Central Coast Mariners) / 4. Adama Traore (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Michael Beauchamp (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Lucas Neill (Sydney FC) / 7. Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar) / 8. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners) / 9. Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory) / 10. Joshua Rose (Central Coast Mariners)
    Midfielders: 1. Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Thomas Broich (Brisbane Roar) / 3. Youssouf Hersi (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 4. Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners) / 5. Aaron Mooy (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory) / 7. Dario Vidosic(Adelaide United) / 8. Marcos Flores (Melbourne Victory) / 9. Richard Garcia (Melbourne Heart) / 10. Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)
    Strikers: 1. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) / 2. Marco Rojas (Melbourne Victory) / 3. Emile Heskey (Newcastle Jets) / 4. Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Daniel McBreen (Central Coast Mariners) / 6. Besart Berisha (Brisbane Roar) / 7. Jeremy Brockie (Wellington Phoenix) / 8. Shane Smeltz (Perth Glory) / 9. Mark Bridge (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 10. Bernie Ibini (Central Coast Mariners)

Four of those guys are current New Zealand internationals (Brockie, Rojas, McGlinchey, Smeltz). In my opinion, Wellington Phoenix defender & NZ international Andrew Durante should be on the defender list (centre-back), whilst Wellington Phoenix & NZ international goalie Glen Moss is as good as any. A midfielder from my local team, Canterbury United, Aaron Clapham (NZ World Cup Finals squad 2010) who plays in NZ's top league, the ASB Premiership, is crying out for a professional contract overseas (second-highest scorer in NZ season just finished).
    For a different opinion on the best players, see: Australian PFA A-League Team of the Year (20% of the All-Star make-up):
    http://www.pfa.net.au/index.php?id=231
    Last edited by kiwicom65; 05-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwicom65 View Post
    As a Kiwi A-League follower (Wellington Phoenix fan) I can say the A-League is generally regarded as the third best league in Asia after (1) the J-League in Japan and (2) the K-League in South Korea. So it's head of China etc. Though it's only comprised of ten teams. Final standings for season just finished (click on a team name for details about that side):
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/aleague/ladder
    BEST PLAYERS IN THE A-LEAGUE (AS VOTED BY FANS THIS MONTH) TOWARDS SELECTING "ALL-STAR" TEAM TO PLAY MANCHESTER UNITED IN JULY:
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...-by-fans/66763
    (Click on a player's name for more details about them - in some cases you'll have to click on "Clubs" at the top of the page & then search individual clubs, clicking on "Players & Staff")
    Goalkeepers: 1.Mathew Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) / 2. Ante Covic (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 3.Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United) / 4. Michael Theo (Brisbane Roar) / 5. Nathan Coe(Melbourne Victory)
    Defenders: 1.Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Pedj Bojic (Central Coast Mariners) / 3.Patrick Zwaanswijk (Central Coast Mariners) / 4. Adama Traore (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Michael Beauchamp (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Lucas Neill (Sydney FC) / 7. Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar) / 8. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners) / 9. Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory) / 10. Joshua Rose (Central Coast Mariners)
    Midfielders: 1. Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Thomas Broich (Brisbane Roar) / 3. Youssouf Hersi (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 4. Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners) / 5. Aaron Mooy (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory) / 7. Dario Vidosic(Adelaide United) / 8. Marcos Flores (Melbourne Victory) / 9. Richard Garcia (Melbourne Heart) / 10. Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)
    Strikers: 1. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) / 2. Marco Rojas (Melbourne Victory) / 3. Emile Heskey (Newcastle Jets) / 4. Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Daniel McBreen (Central Coast Mariners) / 6. Besart Berisha (Brisbane Roar) / 7. Jeremy Brockie (Wellington Phoenix) / 8. Shane Smeltz (Perth Glory) / 9. Mark Bridge (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 10. Bernie Ibini (Central Coast Mariners)

Four of those guys are current New Zealand internationals (Brockie, Rojas, McGlinchey, Smeltz). In my opinion, Wellington Phoenix defender & NZ international Andrew Durante should be on the defender list (centre-back), whilst Wellington Phoenix & NZ international goalie Glen Moss is as good as any. A midfielder from my local team, Canterbury United, Aaron Clapham (NZ World Cup Finals squad 2010) who plays in NZ's top league, the ASB Premiership, is crying out for a professional contract overseas (second-highest scorer in NZ season just finished).
    For a different opinion on the best players, see: Australian PFA A-League Team of the Year (20% of the All-Star make-up): http://www.pfa.net.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=470&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=566954615d
    Sainsbury (CB) is my pick out of this lot - with Adama Traore (left back) a close 2nd. Both great, young players that would be terrific pickups for any MLS side.