Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Nelsen, playing style, player signings......all failures so far.
    May 7th, 2011. Aron Winter (who had never coached a professional game in his life before, by the way) gets 9 points from his first 9 MLS games, 2 points better than Nelsen in the same number of games. TFC suffered two 3-0 blowouts in that time. Winter used a squad he largely hand-picked himself. Did you also describe Winter and his plan as failures on that day?

Talk about rose-colored glasses. The Winter regime was doomed from Day 1. Winter had his plan, but so did Mariner, and Anselmi was just a bystander. End result? No plan, not one we could carry out with any success anyways. Just by calling it a plan, you give it too much credit.

This is the first time in the history of this club that everyone in it, from the President down to the players, believe in and are working towards the same thing, and you want to throw that away? Do you want to throw it away? Because I'm not sure what your post is suggesting. Should we fire Nelsen? Should we demand results now?

History shows it takes about a year and a half to make a competent MLS team from scratch. That's Payne's timeline, he's said it multiple times. He wants improvement this year, playoffs next year. That's the same amount of time Winter got. So you can call our rebuild so far a failure, just know it's completely meaningless to do so.

Also, unless I'm missing something Earnshaw is on loan until July. And you can add Laba as a building block.
    Last edited by notthesun; 05-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, about the rant. But I really enjoyed those first few years, it was fun going to bmo. The atmosphere, the women, the noise, even the cold and the rain. Watching the demise is very frustrating. If u guys are right, the team may improve, but there will only be a few thousand who care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know where the f**k we go from here, I watched Emory's mistake on SBI, I mean come on I can understand one of either mis-kicking or slipping but both, that really is the sign of a useless lump. If it wasn't for the attractions of being outside downtown on a summer weekend, I honestly would find it hard to motivate myself to go to games at BMO. Thank god they built down there and not Downsview

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Common. I was sold his line of (&:@)/ in 2008' 2009 , when my wallet was emptied each winter by MLSE reapers. Remember the season ending sermons? Seattle, Philly, Van, Montreal, San Jose....they didn't need five, six, seven years of utter futility to establish a plan. And, what about Houston and Salt Lake. Didn't take them 7 years either.
    I think you sold yourself a line, this year, if you thought (ever) that we were getting 45-50 points, push for playoffs. pretty football... yada yada yada...

A season of 25-40 points is ugly, its disappointing, its frustrating. It is gaffs, it is hoofball, it is injuries. Recognize and accept that neither you, or anyone is going to pull a rabbit out of their hat in the 2013 season. No one can change this - you are on the path to your happy place once you accept this reality.

Trust me, once you have the lobotomy and a few electro-shock treatments, you will feel a whole lot better!
    Last edited by tiberius; 05-05-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Common. I was sold his line of (&:@)/ in 2008' 2009 , when my wallet was emptied each winter by MLSE reapers. Remember the season ending sermons? Seattle, Philly, Van, Montreal, San Jose....they didn't need five, six, seven years of utter futility to establish a plan. And, what about Houston and Salt Lake. Didn't take them 7 years either.
    none of the teams you mentioned, aside from montreal, are currently in a playoff spot.

we have a plan, we just need to see it through. that's the issue. it's always been the issue. you can't see anything through when your owners sack the manager after a season, every season. a new manager brings in their own players, style, system and then you have to rebuild from scratch. you get lucky breaks, good spells where everything clicks and maybe you can squeak into a playoff spot and some half decent success in a cup tournament, but thats not what i want. i want consistency. i want depth. i want a team who can constantly contend. we can't have that when the players know that they'll be answering to 2 or 3 other coaches before their contract expires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    May 7th, 2011. Aron Winter (who had never coached a professional game in his life before, by the way) gets 9 points from his first 9 MLS games, 2 points better than Nelsen in the same number of games. TFC suffered two 3-0 blowouts in that time. Winter used a squad he largely hand-picked himself. Did you also describe Winter and his plan as failures on that day?

Talk about rose-colored glasses. The Winter regime was doomed from Day 1. Winter had his plan, but so did Mariner, and Anselmi was just a bystander. End result? No plan, not one we could carry out with any success anyways. Just by calling it a plan, you give it too much credit.

This is the first time in the history of this club that everyone in it, from the President down to the players, believe in and are working towards the same thing, and you want to throw that away? Do you want to throw it away? Because I'm not sure what your post is suggesting. Should we fire Nelsen? Should we demand results now?

History shows it takes about a year and a half to make a competent MLS team from scratch. That's Payne's timeline, he's said it multiple times. He wants improvement this year, playoffs next year. That's the same amount of time Winter got. So you can call our rebuild so far a failure, just know it's completely meaningless to do so.

Also, unless I'm missing something Earnshaw is on loan until July. And you can add Laba as a building block.
    First of all...Winter was a coach. N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    none of the teams you mentioned, aside from montreal, are currently in a playoff spot.

we have a plan, we just need to see it through. that's the issue. it's always been the issue. you can't see anything through when your owners sack the manager after a season, every season. a new manager brings in their own players, style, system and then you have to rebuild from scratch. you get lucky breaks, good spells where everything clicks and maybe you can squeak into a playoff spot and some half decent success in a cup tournament, but thats not what i want. i want consistency. i want depth. i want a team who can constantly contend. we can't have that when the players know that they'll be answering to 2 or 3 other coaches before their contract expires.
    All of the teams I ave mentioned have either been contenders, or will be contenders while we continue to discuss the merits of long ball, Lambe and Hall mistakes etc etc. The rapids were crap, then got better, then won the championship, and have now fallen. Are u saying TFC is on par with them? New York were worse then us one year, now are a steady contender. MLS is a league designed to encourage and maintain parity, yet TFC finds itself rebuilding every year. Question: Why do we call it rebuilding? It should be called scrambling each year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne/Nelsen is totally different than WinterMariner. You can do all the "analysis" you want on comparisons. There isn't one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all...Winter was a coach. Not a senior team/pro league coach...but he was at least a coach. And no...I didn't call Winter a failure on the day you asked because I had legit reasons for being optimistic then. What reason(s) do we have now to be optimistic?

Only thing I can come up with is Kevin Payne was hired and he has a history of having done good things at DC united.

Beyond that I see no reason for optimism.

Nelsen is a player that we now call a coach.

Our captain is young and overpaid and I just don't see what he will be able to teach up and coming young players. And thats no fault of his own because he's still learning himself.

Secondly....how do you know everybody from the top down is on the same page? Isn't that what we were told under the Winter regime?

I think you misunderstood me. I don't expect or care about results right now. I totally agree that it takes time and that we have to give them time. But it's not because I think they can do a good job. It's because we have no other choice.

I just don't see why I have to be positive and optimistic in the meantime.

For me these guys and this club is on notice. No hugging and good will from me. They've fucked me over too much for me to give them carte Blanche like that.

I get that we will struggle, but I'm not gonna sit here and smile while we do.

As for earnshaw...I remember reading that he was signed beyond his loan deal....right around the time that he scored 4 goals in the first few games. I could be wrong though.

I can't see the vision for this team. That's what bothers me. Based on our current style of play and the players we've brought in (even if they are only for the short term) I don't like what I see.

I see a coach that preaches the need for personality and makes little mention of the need for talent or valuing possession of the ball. I see a keeper that boots the ball 70 yards up field at every chance.

I see long throw ins into the box as the only option when awarded a throw in in the attacking third.

I see wingers who can't link with the players in the middle of the park.

And I see a "coach" is a hard nosed central defender of a player....not someone that I can see making the type of football I wanna see an option. I could be totally wrong on that.

There are plenty of reasons for me to be worried. I get being patient. We have no choice but to be. But I don't get the whole "things are looking up" talk.

I always find myself asking..."based on what?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, about the rant. But I really enjoyed those first few years, it was fun going to bmo. The atmosphere, the women, the noise, even the cold and the rain. Watching the demise is very frustrating. If u guys are right, the team may improve, but there will only be a few thousand who care.
    Yeah I hear you. It still pisses me off that this ownership group was gifted one of the best (if not the best) markets in the league and all they did was put together a slick marketing plan and try to milk us all for dollars. I've cut my spend multiple times and vowed to not go to any games this year, but I cracked a little picking up singles for a couple games at cheap prices.

I believe this team can still bounce back if the product is majorly cleaned up. I'm not talking about cheap leaf-style trips to the playoffs either. They need to put their stamp on this thing and we need to be one of the premier franchises in this league if they want people to come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    I would argue this is somewhat true, with the exception of Winter who was rightfully fired. Sure, I bet he had longer term goals, but there are always checkpoints along the way and losing nine straight games (injuries or not) was a huge red flag that he was never going to get to the finish line.

It's worth noting that every coach prior to Winter was tainted by Mo Johnston. It was never really "their plan" we were seeing as much as it was Mo messing around while using the coaches as fall-guys. Even Preki had a questionable level of authority over the roster (doubt he was much of a Mista fan).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the MLS transfer window closes tomorrow. It will open again in July. I wonder if TFC will have something to say tomorrow?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    I think you sold yourself a line, this year, if you thought (ever) that we were getting 45-50 points, push for playoffs. pretty football... yada yada yada...

A season of 25-40 points is ugly, its disappointing, its frustrating. It is gaffs, it is hoofball, it is injuries. Recognize and accept that neither you, or anyone is going to pull a rabbit out of their hat in the 2013 season. No one can change this - you are on the path to your happy place once you accept this reality.

Trust me, once you have the lobotomy and a few electro-shock treatments, you will feel a whole lot better!
    Pretty funny, really. Until you contemplate the notion of 45 years without a Stanley cup, and the people cheer like morons a team that has missed the playoffs for close to a decade. This is the reality of an mlse owned team. They won't give a shit about TFC as long as the $ flows one way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    First of all...Winter was a coach. Not a senior team/pro league coach...but he was at least a coach. And no...I didn't call Winter a failure on the day you asked because I had legit reasons for being optimistic then.
    Which were what, exactly? Winter was a rookie coach so it couldn't have been his resume. Results and play were about as bad as they are now so it couldn't have been the team. Nearly every player he brought in at that point was a bust, so it couldn't have been his signings. So it must be his promise of sexy 4-3-3 football? I really don't see how that's any more cause for optimism than Payne/Nelsen's promise of high pressure, defensively compact and multi-faceted attacking football. I guess Winter's vision can be summed up with a nice catchphrase ("Dutch" or "Total" football)... but you did say "legit" reasons. If anything, as you say, Payne's history of success at D.C. should inspire more confidence in you than Winter's regime did. If you're too burned out from this team's failures for that to happen, fair enough. But that's on you, not the reality of the situation. I don't buy there was anything about Winter that inspired more optimism than Payne/Nelsen, not for a second. They're both attempts at a rebuild with inexperienced coaches, except this time we have a guy who seems to know what he's doing running the show (not to mention a history of success with hiring rookie coaches in the first place).

You mention Payne's presence like it's barely worth discussion. That's a big deal. He already knows what it takes and how to go about building a good MLS team. We've never had that. You think Winter had an easy time navigating the salary cap and the countless player signing rules of MLS? Even if having Payne is the only reason for optimism, that's a pretty big one in my book, and easily puts him above Winter.

Most of the things you describe about our play will change once Payne actually builds a team (assuming it's good of course), which is why I don't put too much stock into things like long throw ins. It's not like Reggie Lambe is going to dribble past two defenders off a throw and whip in a great cross, right? With the players we have, and a chance to get the ball straight into the box with lots of targets, it makes sense not to pass that up.

At the same time, I think there are some signs of improvement as well. We're not 0-9, for starters. And ok, that's an easy one, agreed. But we do finally seem to have a competent CB pairing. We're pretty solid defensively. And with what you really have to say is a last-minute, makeshift team, Nelsen has managed to at least have a chance at points in every game besides the Montreal embarrassment. Winter had a 4-2 loss and two 3-0 losses in his first nine, Nelsen has yet to lose a game by more than 1. Maybe you don't see any significant progress there. I don't see any significant cause for concern in the things you mentioned. They're the type of things (including my point about Nelsen's teams being competitive) you look back on and think "you could see this coming", whether "this" ends up being good or bad. So I consider them, but I don't concern myself over them, and I think that's where it should end.

I get being cautious, critical, etc. It's fair to not be feeling too positive just yet. It's not fair complain about temporary English signings as if Payne is going against how he said he'd build the team. It's not fair to call the whole thing a failure after 9 games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which were what, exactly? Winter was a rookie coach so it couldn't have been his resume. Results and play were about as bad as they are now so it couldn't have been the team. Nearly every player he brought in at that point was a bust, so it couldn't have been his signings. So it must be his promise of sexy 4-3-3 football? I really don't see how that's any more cause for optimism than Payne/Nelsen's promise of high pressure, defensively compact and multi-faceted attacking football. I guess Winter's vision can be summed up with a nice catchphrase ("Dutch" or "Total" football)... but you did say "legit" reasons. If anything, as you say, Payne's history of success at D.C. should inspire more confidence in you than Winter's regime did. If you're too burned out from this team's failures for that to happen, fair enough. But that's on you, not the reality of the situation. I don't buy there was anything about Winter that inspired more optimism than Payne/Nelsen, not for a second. They're both attempts at a rebuild with inexperienced coaches, except this time we have a guy who seems to know what he's doing running the show (not to mention a history of success with hiring rookie coaches in the first place).

You mention Payne's presence like it's barely worth discussion. That's a big deal. He already knows what it takes and how to go about building a good MLS team. We've never had that. You think Winter had an easy time navigating the salary cap and the countless player signing rules of MLS? Even if having Payne is the only reason for optimism, that's a pretty big one in my book, and easily puts him above Winter.

Most of the things you describe about our play will change once Payne actually builds a team (assuming it's good of course), which is why I don't put too much stock into things like long throw ins. It's not like Reggie Lambe is going to dribble past two defenders off a throw and whip in a great cross, right? With the players we have, and a chance to get the ball straight into the box with lots of targets, it makes sense not to pass that up.

At the same time, I think there are some signs of improvement as well. We're not 0-9, for starters. And ok, that's an easy one, agreed. But we do finally seem to have a competent CB pairing. We're pretty solid defensively. And with what you really have to say is a last-minute, makeshift team, Nelsen has managed to at least have a chance at points in every game besides the Montreal embarrassment. Winter had a 4-2 loss and two 3-0 losses in his first nine, Nelsen has yet to lose a game by more than 1. Maybe you don't see any significant progress there. I don't see any significant cause for concern in the things you mentioned. They're the type of things (including my point about Nelsen's teams being competitive) you look back on and think "you could see this coming", whether "this" ends up being good or bad. So I consider them, but I don't concern myself over them, and I think that's where it should end.

I get being cautious, critical, etc. It's fair to not be feeling too positive just yet. It's not fair complain about temporary English signings as if Payne is going against how he said he'd build the team. It's not fair to call the whole thing a failure after 9 games.
    In my neighborhood there is a crazy woman who lives alone, and is reputed to be rich. She is always walking decrepit, sick dogs which she adopts from a local vet after the owners either cannot, or will not pay for the needed operation or meds. It is pathetic. Her dragging a lame one eyed lab and tells everybody she runs into how god meant her to do this. In one year she will adopt half a dozen dying dogs. When I see her I think about TFC. The whole thing is a failure my friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the forum today, anybody would think we lost another game by 6 goals.

We didn't. We actually played fairly well, on the road. We lost by 1, by a mistake and unfortunate slip from one individual player.

This season is more than about points and results. It's about building something, its about character, and about learning about players and the new coach. This game was a good bounce back form the Montreal game, and we could have earily got a result. Ok, we lost, but its more than the result that counts here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was about to say that I wouldn't even care all that much if we finished last again because then we would at least get the first pick. Then I remembered Hassli... FUCK YOU MARINER!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Reading the forum today, anybody would think we lost another game by 6 goals.

We didn't. We actually played fairly well, on the road. We lost by 1, by a mistake and unfortunate slip from one individual player.

This season is more than about points and results. It's about building something, its about character, and about learning about players and the new coach. This game was a good bounce back form the Montreal game, and we could have earily got a result. Ok, we lost, but its more than the result that counts here.

The bolded typo above made me think we almost eerily got a result but can see where you're coming from. I also think it's the least result we could call progress to get back to drawing form. And that's where my expectations minimize for Wed. Hope for win, need at least a draw for me.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone actually expect TFC to ever hold on anymore?

The since last season if a game is close I always expect the opponent to score in the final minutes. It makes for a much less disappointing result and less stressful to follow the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I said it from the beginning of the season when we won a game vs Kansas early in the season and then managed a tie against LA that this is still not a winning team, we were lucky to get points in those games and can easily end up at the bottom of the league soon. People thought I was just being negative and blah blah. It was the truth. People got to excited this year thinking we were all of a sudden going to be a winning team, and that was obvious from the start we were still not a winning team and had lots of work to do. But also TFC need to actually see this plan through. To many times coaches have been fired and players traded before they really had a chance to see how the team could gel together. We can not keep ripping this team a part every 6 months and starting over, we never seem to get anywhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Good:
    -Bendik
    -Silva
    -Hall

The Bad:
    -Earnshaw missing his 3 chances
    -TFC set piece defending
    -Reggie Lambe on final 1/3 of the pitch

The Ugly:
    -Comedy of errors leading to Colorado's late goal... again
    -The greasy pitch at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Ridiculous how many players were slipping and sliding.
    -Edson Buddle's gut. Who ate all the pies...

Ratings:
    Bendik 6.5
    -Still in form. Made excellent and bold decisions to stop 2 huge Colorado chances. But those goal kicks... He knows he is allowed to play short passes once in a while, right?

Richter 5.5
    -Better game, but still a lot of growing pains. Makes decent overlapping runs but the final ball is still terrible most of the time.

Agbossoumonde 6
    -Overall okay. Some little mistakes that a better player in the league would punish him big time though.

O'Dea 5.5
    -Was also ok, except for 2 huge blunders. Seems having trouble on 1v1 against a good dribbler again and slipped, allowing Buddle to be unmarked on his goal with Emory blunder.

Emory 4
    -Hard coming back from an injury, and lack of form affects his confidence. Not only it was a horrible mistake gifting Buddle on the goal, he was a tad too aggressive, kept fouling Colorado players in dangerous positions.

Lambe 5
    -Typical Lambe game. Defensively tracks back, does something a little clever with the ball, but terrible decision or final pass ruins a chance.

Laba 5.5
    -Didn't expect much from Laba on his first game. Mostly invisible. Couple of decent link up plays in the mid. Also looked foolish on Mwanga dribbling past him and missed a header from Ephraim's free kick. Would be interesting to see how he does after few more games.

Hall 7
    -Doing his best to prove his doubters wrong. Again a solid game where he shielded the back 4, and showed good awareness on offence couple of times. With knowing that he's got a partner in Laba who is good defensively, will Hall look to get involved more offensively?

Silva 7.5
    -Thought he had a great game. Awesome vision on offence. That dummy for a great Earnshaw chance is indicator of a player with confidence. Ran his butt off all over the final third, and even helped back defensively. Don't like the floater on his outswinging corners though.

Earnshaw 5
    -3 great chances and you expect a finisher like Earnshaw puts away at least 1 of them. The slippery pitch probably did effect his balance but he's got to do better. Good to see him develop a good chemistry with Silva.

Nelsen 6
    -Overall I didn't think TFC played too terribly. It was an ok game considering a lot of players having played on Wed, greasy pitch and the altitude. Not good enough for a point, but the effort was there, considering a 6-0 beating on Wed.
    -TFC was sloppy a lot, but there were chances created. A team with more confidence would have put at least one, maybe 2 of them away. The off the ball movement was better on the final third.
    -Defensively, I'm not a fan of zonal marking on corners. I just don't think TFC is experienced enough, and lacks confidence to attack the ball in the air decisively. And TFC was beaten by headers on couple of occasions and if not for poor finishing, would have been down a goal or two from headers.
    -A team with better form would have gotten a point out of Colorado. But this luck of what, 5 games out of 7 coughing up late goals, either due to individual blunders or collective defensive mistakes is enough to make you doubt the existence of God. Some Vegas bookies must be making millions out of TFC's late goals.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The Good:
    Laba 5.5
    -Didn't expect much from Laba on his first game. Mostly invisible. Couple of decent link up plays in the mid. Also looked foolish on Mwanga dribbling past him and missed a header from Ephraim's free kick. Would be interesting to see how he does after few more games.
    Being invisible is kinda the role he plays though - I thought he got some good tackles in, one that very expertly turned over posession out on the touch line - i think once he understands the teams he's playing against and adjusts to the speed, he'll be solid - he looked pretty tired later in the game

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In my neighborhood there is a crazy woman who lives alone, and is reputed to be rich. She is always walking decrepit, sick dogs which she adopts from a local vet after the owners either cannot, or will not pay for the needed operation or meds. It is pathetic. Her dragging a lame one eyed lab and tells everybody she runs into how god meant her to do this. In one year she will adopt half a dozen dying dogs. When I see her I think about TFC. The whole thing is a failure my friend.
    This post made me sad

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I was about to say that I wouldn't even care all that much if we finished last again because then we would at least get the first pick. Then I remembered Hassli... FUCK YOU MARINER!
    ... but then I LOL'd.

This is like an episode of Derek.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To each his own, but I would walk away from this for a month or two, if I felt this way.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edson Buddle ate Collin Samuel.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When kindness is called crazy, when idleness turns to generosity and compared to failure the least I can do is point out how petty a comparison it seems.

Well said ensco...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Being invisible is kinda the role he plays though - I thought he got some good tackles in, one that very expertly turned over posession out on the touch line - i think once he understands the teams he's playing against and adjusts to the speed, he'll be solid - he looked pretty tired later in the game
    I liked his movement off the ball based on what I could see on TV (which is limited with off the ball movement). I'm interested to see him live.