Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post - Voyageurs Cup Semi Final Leg 2: Toronto at Montreal, Wed 1 May, 7:30pm

Toronto takes a 2-0 aggregate into Montreal... It will be interesting to see Ryan Nelsen gives the reserve players a run out and Schallibaum caves into the pressure from Montreal supporters and put in the first team. Montreal won their last game 2-0 against Chicago. And at least TFC reserve players can finish a game without giving up a goal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lethargic Montreal offence gets going after switching to a 442

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...nadian-champio

Posted this in another thread, but Montreal Ultras protested the tactics used for the Canadian Championship at yesterday's game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling Saputo is going to have a word with his manager, the one that didn't seem to want to take this seriously and kinda gave up after Wednesday last. I'm not sure our B team is going to cut it on Wednesday. Mind you, Laba, if he is in form, should cut out a lot more of their preferred diagonals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I get the feeling Saputo is going to have a word with his manager, the one that didn't seem to want to take this seriously and kinda gave up after Wednesday last. I'm not sure our B team is going to cut it on Wednesday. Mind you, Laba, if he is in form, should cut out a lot more of their preferred diagonals.
    hard to argue against Schallibaum's player rotation since Montreal beat Chicago 2-0. And they face San Jose away for their next league match.

Di Vaio and Nesta just don't have the legs for 3 games in 7 days

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Laba starts and does well, because I can use some optimism!

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's no chance that montreal will put on a B team, so i want these lineups
    1) 4-2-2-2
    ------------------------Frei--------------------
    Eckersley/Richter---Califf-------O'dea----Morgan
    -------------Hall-------------Laba-------------
    -------Silva----------------------Osario--------
    ----------Earnshaw--------Bostock------------

2) if rusell or eck is still not ready
    Agboss--------Califf-------Henry----O'dea------

3) 4-1-3-1-1
    Hall---------------Califf-------O'dea-------Morgan
    ------------------------Laba---------------------
    Silva-------------------Osario-------------Bostock
    -------------------------------Ephraim-----------
    ----------------------Earnshaw---------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    there's no chance that montreal will put on a B team, so i want these lineups
    1) 4-2-2-2
    Eckersley/Richter---Califf-------O'dea----Morgan

2) if rusell or eck is still not ready
    Agboss--------Califf-------Henry----O'dea------

3) 4-1-3-1-1
    Hall---------------Califf-------O'dea-------Morgan
    ------------------------Laba---------------------
    Silva-------------------Osario-------------Bostock
    -------------------------------Ephraim-----------
    ----------------------Earnshaw---------------

4-2-3-1

--------------------Bendik-------------------
    Ecks/Richter--Califf---------O'Dea------Emory
    -------------Laba-----------Hall------------
    Bostock------------Silva-----------Lambe
    ----------------Earnshaw-------------------

People rag on lambe for not producing from the wing, but he's doing a lot of small things that get missed, like playing defence, pressuring the ball, holding up the ball until we get into play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Posted this in another thread, but Montreal Ultras protested the tactics used for the Canadian Championship at yesterday's game.
    Here I thought no one care about this competition. BTW: Saputo was at BMO field on Wednesday game so I am sure he was pissed after the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    4-2-3-1

--------------------Bendik-------------------
    Ecks/Richter--Califf---------O'Dea------Emory
    -------------Laba-----------Hall------------
    Bostock------------Silva-----------Lambe
    ----------------Earnshaw-------------------

People rag on lambe for not producing from the wing, but he's doing a lot of small things that get missed, like playing defence, pressuring the ball, holding up the ball until we get into play.
    He's been our most consistent wide player even if he's hasn't been too effective per se. Nelsen surely appreciates that he's defensively responsible.

I like this lineup. I hope Ephraim gets the bench, dude needs to step it up at some point if he wants to stick around (which begs the question... does he?).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Braun injured, I don't think Earnshaw is going to play. I think we might see Taylor Morgan up there with Ephraim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My XI
    --------------Frei--------------
    --Henry--Califf--O'Dea--Emory--
    ----------Bekker-Laba----------
    --Bostock--------------Lambe--
    ----------Silva/Osorio----------
    --------Welshman/TMorgan-----

Bekker deserves a start, and there's no reason to start two pure DMs in Hall and Laba unless you seriously believe we can hold a two goal lead over 90 minutes without any possession. If Silva needs a rest, than start Osorio in midfield and sub Silva on if we need goals. Striker is between Welshman and Morgan - whichever one trains better. I imagine it will be Welshman since he's been closer to the first team but Nelsen may want a big CF in Morgan. I really hope Wiedeman doesn't start this one - for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We now seem to have an abundance of central midfielders, but no depth in attack (or at least, not experienced depth). If Braun isn't fit, then I don't see any choice by Earnshaw unless we play two guys who haven't ever kicked a ball for the first team!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am at a bit of a loss here.

I think most would agree that we want as many players getting better as possible correct?

I don't think that MLS is more important than V-Cup, I DO think that getting better as a team is THE most important thing, NO MATTER THE COMPETITION.

Maybe Weeds is going nowhere fast, but Henry, Bekker, Morgan, Oso etc. NEED MINUTES

What Nelsen is doing is IDEAL.

Reserves matches are a joke.

I think Nelsen should play basically the team he has played (+Laba to get him some minutes, he is 21, he can run) through the rest of the V-Cup AND if they make it, through the champions league. Maybe if we see the quarter final next year we can put on the 'A' team but not until then. Get these boys minutes, get them experience and let them bring it into the first team in MLS.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play the reserve squad. If needed, throw on a couple starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is going to be motivate and play mostly their "a" team. So if TFC wants win this thing, then they need to include some of starters in the line up (including Earnshaw). Have Silva come off the bench and start other Morgan (playing as a target man to win balls in the air).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind fielding some starters to make sure we get through, but there's no fucking way Earnshaw should be starting. For one, he's 32 and I have doubts about him staying effective if we start playing him in games that are only three or four days apart. Plus playing him on the plastic in Montreal is a good way to lose him for the rest of the season as it is. No need to risk that for this game when we have so many young strikers in reserve who need time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't mind fielding some starters to make sure we get through, but there's no fucking way Earnshaw should be starting. For one, he's 32 and I have doubts about him staying effective if we start playing him in games that are only three or four days apart. Plus playing him on the plastic in Montreal is a good way to lose him for the rest of the season as it is. No need to risk that for this game when we have so many young strikers in reserve who need time
    Montreal is playing at Saputo stadium not Olympic Stadium (so they will be playing on grass). Also, Earnshaw doesn't have to play 90 minutes, but we need to at least score a goal. Montreal is going to be coming out gun blazing trying to score 2 or 3 goals. We need someone up front for counter and is capable of finishing chances. Earnshaw seems like the only striker capable of doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Montreal is playing at Saputo stadium not Olympic Stadium (so they will be playing on grass). Also, Earnshaw doesn't have to play 90 minutes, but we need to at least score a goal. Montreal is going to be coming out gun blazing trying to score 2 or 3 goals. We need someone up front for counter and is capable of finishing chances. Earnshaw seems like the only striker capable of doing that.
    Right you are. I was confusing Saputo stadium with Wankouver's stadium where they brainlessly put in state of the art plastic. Hell even when they had an outdoor field they still played on plastic. I guess this makes playing Earnshaw a bit more forgivable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Braun is still injured by the game, which I'm guessing he will be, I'd like to see T. Morgan get minutes at some point. The NYRB game tells me with the players we have, we need a big body up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

I was hoping it was another garbage bag banner.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on down to Shoeless Joe's for this one all you Downtowners! It's kinda a big deal and I'll also bring Canada tix for the Women's game on June 2nd for those that have contacted me. Feel free to PM for more info!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UM02 were very upset about Montreal not playing their best 11 last match. (c/o Grizzly on the Voyageur's board):

(translation: no Impact since 2008)

(translation: we took it seriously)

Thanks Flamehawk for posting the link to other pictures, earlier.

For all of the ambivalence here, their Supporters want to win the cup.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If Braun is still injured by the game, which I'm guessing he will be, I'd like to see T. Morgan get minutes at some point. The NYRB game tells me with the players we have, we need a big body up front.
    definitely. I think Wiedemans has shown that he can't fill that role. We need a target man to play alongside Earnshaw - and other poachers - and maybe Morgan can fill that role. Maybe Welshman and Morgan, or Bennett and Morgan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei
    Richter Califf Henry Emory
    Laba Hall
    Lambe Welshman
    Bostock
    Morgan

Thats what I would like to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC must field the best team available, I know most don't feel this is a valuable competition, but that would be like saying Germany should not be playing there best team in whatever Hockey Tournaments there are. I think International Club Football regardless of where or whom you play is very important for TFC to play in, and as a Football Fan to watch. just my opinion, but one that I value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Molinaro, Emory said the ankle is getting better but he still probably won't play tomorrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty cool vid from Montreal. Still bunch of wankers though

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Pretty cool vid from Montreal. Still bunch of wankers though

Cool video, shows a good understanding of the game and the role of supporters (quite a contrast from the stuff produced by ML$E interns).

Note the close up early on on a jersey of the club's slogan "tous pour gagner" ("all to win").

Of course they can't show Montreal's last Canadian Championship match win against TFC, because it has never happened.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto