Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post - Game 8: New York at TFC, Sat 27 Apr, 2pm

Ohhhhhh the Red Bulls are Shite!!!

Bit of topsy turvy NYRB as NY legend Mike Petke tries to leave his mark on the Red Bulls. Inconsistency is one word to describe NY right now, however they destroyed New England last game 4-1. Juninho is suspended this game for taking a stupid red card and of course, Thierry Henry loves scoring on TFC. More detailed thoughts later.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll go out on a limb and predict that TFC will will play a solid 90 minutes, take a lead, and concede the equalizer in stoppage time.

On another note, the weather forecast looks perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I'll go on another and say Henry drifts around the pitch for 80 + minutes than kills us in stoppage time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouting Report: New York Red Bulls (11pts, 4th in Eastern Conference)

General: If there is a topsy turvy, Jekyl and Hyde team in MLS, NYRB fits the bill. One game, they look like MLS Cup champions, then the next game, play worse than an USL side. There is tremendous pressure to succeed at NY, with Red Bulls ownership investing tons of money into the team and that has produced a short term success at the expense of long term stability plan that has been killing NY. The roster on paper looks strong, with some great players like Henry, Olave and Pearce, but short on depth, relying on cheap, minimal skill players. And with constant turnover year after year, NYRB has been run pretty much like TFC. However, with Hans Backe gone, NYRB legend Mike Petke is short on experience, but has been the heart and soul of NYRB for long time. (Imagine Danny Dichio managing TFC)

Formation: Mike Petke is still tinkering with formation, but likely will stick with 4-4-2 diamond. Probably the best formation, considering NY doesn't have good wingers.

Expected lineup:

------------Robles
    Barklage-Olave-Pearce-Miller
    ------------McCarty
    -----Alexander--Steele
    ------------Cahill
    -------Henry---Espindola

Squad:
    Goalkeeper: Luis Robles is a decent keeper, but nothing special. Makes amazing saves at times, but positioning and decision making is questionable sometimes. Veteran Kevin Hartman at tender age of 39 is working on match fitness, and may be available as back up.

Defence: On paper, looks strong, but big question. Has leaked 12 goals in 9 games, which isn't terrible, but some real WTF moments at times. Heath Pearce is still good, but Olave is shade of his former self and may not be completely match fit after injuries. Roy Miller has been doing ok since earning his spot at LB back, but he is still prone to bonehead mistakes. Barklage is a converted winger playing RB and is decent for his salary. Markus Holgersson is a strong CB, but lacks soccer brain. On whole, NY defence doesn't deal very well with pressure and can be forced into mistakes and their set piece defending is not so good.

Midfield: NY has one of best DM/box to box mid in Dax McCarty. However, the squad is thin after. Eric Alexander is a serviceable CM used in a support role. Jonny Steele (you may remember him from that heartbreak loss against RSL at Rio Tinto last season) is all heart, minimum skill guy and really should be used in depth role. Both Alexander and Steele will be asked to play more wide, except they aren't natural wingers. Former Everton and Australian international Tim Cahill has not found success in MLS yet. But he is capable of quality, especially if he gets up for a header. TFC must mark him carefully on set pieces.
    For depth, there isn't much for NY. A lot of youngsters and min salary players, though former Charlton and Leeds winger Lloyd Sam will inject a bit of pace into NYRB attack if available. Connor Lade is another player who adds a little bit of depth from the wing or RB.

Forward: Thierry Henry is old at 35 and lost a bit of pace, but he is still class. Everything NY does runs through Henry, who also takes most of set pieces esp with Juninho not playing. And Henry loves to score on TFC for fun it seems. His partner may be speedy Espindola who is a bit of inconsistent finisher but still a threat. Henry and Espindola are still learning each other's tendencies, esp since Espy is left footed and likes to attack from flank, which is same thing Henry likes to do. Former PSG and French international Peguy Luyindula is close to being match fit and while inconsistent finisher, he brings in the hold up play to create space for Henry.

Key Player:
    As much as Thierry Henry runs NYRB attack, I think Dax McCarty is just as important. Not only he stops opposition attack through the middle with his tenacity and hard tackling, he can also score from outside the box, with 2 goals in 9 games this season. If McCarty has a bad game, NY defence becomes so much more vulnerable.

If I was New York manager...: New York's counter attack can be very deadly. They put in 4 past a stingy New England defence that only gave up 2 goals in 5 games prior to NY game. NY is tied for league in goals with 13 in 9 games. Put gas to the pedal on offence and look to overwhelm TFC defence that will leak goals, especially late game and on set pieces. Ability of Steele and Alexander to give width to NYRB attack will be critical.

Prediction: Toronto 2-2 New York

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict I'd be happy with 2-2. I'd be happy if a loss guaranteed a win on Wed but usually it don't so I won't.

Go for broke boys.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-------------Bendik-------------
    Richter---Califf---O'Dea---Morgan
    Bostock---Hall---Silva----Lambe
    --------Braun---Earnshaw------

Bostock played his way back into the 11 against Montreal. Osorio did well but not enough to displace Hall after his performance against Houston, however he'll get another well deserved run out off the bench. I'm starting Braun because Robles is a huge liability in New York's goal when good crosses are swung in and when things get hectic in the box (see his performance against Chicago). Braun can be useful if he throws his weight around in the penalty area.

Earnshaw scores.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ely-miss-toron

Dax McCarty out with a quad injury. TFC catches a huge break. NY's replacement likely will be some rookie

Also, two weeks in a row that two key players for opposition teams either ends up being injured during game or before game. Hrm. Do I have some sort of hex going on? lol

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Dax McCarty out with a quad injury. TFC catches a huge break. NY's replacement likely will be some rookie

Also, two weeks in a row that two key players for opposition teams either ends up being injured during game or before game. Hrm. Do I have some sort of hex going on? lol
    If so, please apply to Thierry pronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If so, please apply to Thierry pronto.
    sorry, it's only once per game thing

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prediction...

watching the boys who were on the pitch play for a solid 90+ minutes with everybody putting in their shift (even Wiedemann, Welshman played well.) will inspire the entire roster to fight, and play hard. We'll win in a entertaining fashion, and start running away with the league.

that's definitely my prediction, well it would be nice anyways...

Joe Bendik will start in net, Frei will get another chance in the away leg against Montreal before the manager will really have a tough choice of swapping keepers. doubt he replaces Bendik for saturday. Goalkeeper: Bendik
    Wouldn't mind seeing Califf replace Agbossoumnde. Califf was an absolute warrior on wednesday, basically killed a few guys will clean + hard, ball winning tackles. Would be nice to see Eckersley but I don't know if he's 100% Defence: Morgan, O'Dea, Califf, Richter on a side note this Richter guy continues to impress me day in and out.
    Midfield played pretty good yesterday no way that Welshman played well enough to earn a start, kid definitely put in his shift though. Bekker was running around all over the place, was trying to earn a place but ended up just being a mess. Hall will probably start, because every team needs somebody to be the dirty man in the midfield but id like to see Osorio come in for him around the 60/70th Midfield: Bostock, Hall, Silva, Lambe
    Our attack is fairly predictable Nelsens switched to playing two forwards instead of one but before I state the obvious id like to say Wiedeman played the game of his career in a red shirt yesterday had an amazing work rate, tried for every ball, ran for everything, clearly isn't the best finisher of the modern game, but capped his good night off with a solid goal. He earned a spot on the bench for this weekend. Strikers: Earnshaw and Braun

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could find that pic of 'The Red Bulls are Shite' banner

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember how much attention Gargan got for his long throws, but he's nothing next to Richter, holy Rory Delap, Richter is world class at putting deep throw ins right on the button.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I remember how much attention Gargan got for his long throws, but he's nothing next to Richter, holy Rory Delap, Richter is world class at putting deep throw ins right on the button.
    played basketball in high school. I think he also said he played baseball too

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richter is probably the longest thrower I've ever seen. I think he tosses it longer than Delap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's still outside the Adrian Serioux throw-in hall of fame.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have a little more faith in Pat Onstad's ability as a scout, because Richter was his signing and Richter seems to be at least depth on an MLS team. Though questions to why Philly and DCU passed on Richter

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been impressed with Richter.I can see why they let Stinson go.Richter has had more of an impact in a few games then Stinson.I wonder what the differance in his salary and Ecks is?How soon of a wait will Labba have before he gets into the line-up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance Laba gets cleared in time for the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing they'll start Brandon Barklage but maybe the kid, Ian Christenson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Even if he's here in time he probably won't play, I doubt he even makes the bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully expect us to concede late, leading to a draw or loss. Would love to be wrong.

This is a must-win if TFC wants to keep pace with the playoffs. Can't keep dropping points at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cochrdoc View Post
    I have been impressed with Richter.I can see why they let Stinson go.Richter has had more of an impact in a few games then Stinson.I wonder what the differance in his salary and Ecks is?How soon of a wait will Labba have before he gets into the line-up
    Laba plays in Argentina currently which is a two hour time difference. He's playing regularly, so he should be fit.
    There's no way he starts you have to earn your spot to play in Nelsens team. There's no way he's just gonna throw him in "Oh we just bought you! You're a guarentee'd starter!"
    I don't think Nelsen cares what he makes/cost he'll have to earn his spot just like anybody else. If Nelsen picked his team by capspace Frei would be playing ahead of Bendik now that he's fit.

Laba could come off the bench but I'm not sure how much English he speaks, or how long it will take him to settle. But consider the time line...
    If its true he's here today, and knocking out personal contract issues then tomorrow he could be announced, with a game the next day he wont even have a chance to train with the team. I personally don't want him even making a sub appearance with no connection with the squad. He can play a bit against Montreal May 1st IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhhhhh the Red Bulls are Shite!!!
    So fucking shite!!!

I was at this game two years ago. After TFC being relatively dominant with Koevermans scoring on a breakaway, TFC started sitting back and defended like shit. They hammered ball after ball out for corner after corner, most notably Dunfield kicking them behind under no pressure (this was the game that caused my opinion of him to sour). Finally, right near the end they kicked it out again and I turned to my friend and said "this is it, Henry's going to score from this corner". Sure enough, Henry pulls off a piece of magic and scores the equalizer.

This time I shall keep my mouth shut

I'm hoping for the following:
    --------------Bendik------------
    -Richter--Agboss--O'Dea--Emory
    ----------------Hall-------------
    --Bostock--------------Ephraim--
    ---------------Silva-------------
    --------Braun-------Earnshaw---

I think if Bostock plays like he did yesterday, he should be an effecting outlet for Hall, and he'll give good central passes to Silva and through balls to the strikers. Ephraim can be dropped for all I care, but he does have decent ball control, and Lambe hasn't been effective on the right, and much less on the left. At most he tracks back a bit more, but he also leaves a hole on his part of midfield because he's so far back

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... Dax is on my fantasy team but I think I prefer a for real win.

I wish Dunny was available to scare Henry again, I think Robles is garbage and I am predicting this is Boss man's breakout game having spent a bit more time with O'Dea.

Hall is looking better and better, I think we outsmart them, out skill them and out athletic them. 4-1 tfc

See you Saturday!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I fully expect us to concede late, leading to a draw or loss. Would love to be wrong.

This is a must-win if TFC wants to keep pace with the playoffs. Can't keep dropping points at home.
    Seriously? Did you really just say 'must win'?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm guessing they'll start Brandon Barklage but maybe the kid, Ian Christenson.
    Barklage probably RB. Christenson is apparently out, so they might start this Bustamante kid

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Seriously? Did you really just say 'must win'?
    You realize TFC has already dropped 6 of 12 points at home so far right? Can't continue on that pace, you can't rely on getting results on the road in this league. Time to start winning at BMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    You realize TFC has already dropped 6 of 12 points at home so far right? Can't continue on that pace, you can't rely on getting results on the road in this league. Time to start winning at BMO.
    I agree 100% but 'must win'?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ard-robert-ear

Henry and Cahill shares thoughts on Earnshaw

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned in the other thread:

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc 1h
    Payne: Laba not available this weekend, we hope by second leg v. Montreal or next weekend. #TFClive http://instagram.com/p/YktE7-Ep69/

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 1h
    Laba hasn't arrived in Toronto but he is en route. #TFC