Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't have any time for Cathal Kelly.

I suggest writing the Star and letting them know you're tired of his horrible writing and horrible takes.

Address the email to Kathy English.

"The Star's Public Editor's Office welcomes reader comments and complaints about news and feature content in the print and online editions. If you have information about a possible error that calls for a published correction, please e-mail publiced@thestar.ca "

and while you're at it, might as well include:

Sports
    Editor: Jon Filson
    Phone: 416-814-2749
    Email: sports@thestar.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

I suggest writing the Star and letting them know you're tired of his horrible writing and horrible takes.

"The Star's Public Editor's Office welcomes reader comments and complaints about news and feature content in the print and online editions. If you have information about a possible error that calls for a published correction, please e-mail publiced@thestar.ca "

Sports
    The same can be said for the pointless International Hockey Tournaments, like the one that is played during the NHL Playoffs, where the LOSERS get picked up by the various National Teams, to play Road hockey against one another.

Really enjoyed the game last night, it was good to see the depth players have some glory, now play the first team next week and really put on a show.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kelly writes to get eyeballs.

Its what the Star does.

Hume

Di Manno

Kelly

I usually agree with Hume but they are still writing for Google News SEO maximization.

Best ignore them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coed Girls 1, 2, 3
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

The Dynasty Continues - RWN - Champions SoctoberFest! '11, GoTFC Supporters Cup '10. Indoor Cup '10, '09, Niagara Cup '08 & '09. Be Champions. 6 for 8 :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed regarding Cathal Kelly. "Pointless sideshow" to qualify for the CCL? Really?

If it's meaningless he should do all Canadian soccer fans a favor and stop covering the tournament.

What a disgrace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Canadian or American team has ever won the most recent incarnation of the continental club championship. It’s conceivable that none ever will.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Has he been paying attention? RSL anyone? They were inches from doing it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Has he been paying attention? RSL anyone? They were inches from doing it.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    RSL was exactly one goal away from doing it in 2011, just one single goal. They would have then advanced on the away goals rule 2 away goals to 1.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

Sports
    I'm worried we may be reading much more from Kelly. Dan Girard just left the Star this past week. (Probably part of the big cuts at The Star.) Although I didn't like Dan's interview style, I thought his articles were decent (in those cases where he was even assigned to cover a game). Fairly accurate, w/o all the extra garbage that Kelly adds.

If Kelly now gets the assignment to "report" in addition to the useless commentary he usually provides, that will be very sad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^I was just about to mention, what happened to Girard? I guess now i know. Too bad, he was way better than that hack, Kelly. I don't know why Cathal doesn't just stick to the Star Style section on Saturdays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was their best game of the season by far. These kids are much better than a lot of the guys who have been regularly starting. Bekker, Osorio and Richter should be playing every game.
    Last edited by James17930; 04-25-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Doug Smith (normally the scribe on the Raptors beat) will be taking over soccer duties at the Star until they can get a new soccer reporter. He doesn't know much about soccer (and he realizes this), but I highly respect his even-handed reporting. Give him as much support as you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually don't disagree too much with what Kelly said. The CCL absolutely contributed to our MLS start last year. We played far more games in a compressed time frame than any other team in MLS, plus tons of travel, wear on the players, etc right off the start. Winter had a lighter pre-season knowing he was coming into a heavy run of games. He got killed by his own players for it when he was fired. Think he'd give equal priority to the CCL if he could do it over? I doubt it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I thought Kurt Larson sucked lol. This Cathal Kelly is a real joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article on Herculez Gomez in the Guardian. I didn't know his back story with KC. I know he's given us some good natured shit when we've played Santos Laguna in the CCL, but I have a lot of respect for him. High on my list of American players. This story confirms it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...tter-mls-usmnt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone know what the All Access Q+A session at Real Sports tonite will entail exactly? Really just going to get my Earnie jersey signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Anyone know what the All Access Q+A session at Real Sports tonite will entail exactly? Really just going to get my Earnie jersey signed.
    Ernie is in Toronto...???
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do agree with Kelly - this "tournament" is a joke. However, I thought Nelsen played it right - it was basically a glorified reserve game out there. Most of those guys I wouldn't want to see starting for a league match - so this was a great opportunity for them to start. Show what they can do or for some - prove they should still be here.

Also - great to see Frei starting in net again. The guy is a good goalie. It's nice that we have the options in net that we do.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 04-25-2013 at 09:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Nelson's comment. "I don't care if we are playing for a bag of cobwebs. We want to win."

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good time in the cold Rednesday weather last night. Rain held off. A good amount of chants throughout thanks to U-Sector stepping up finally. Really happy for the win, felt good, goals were nice. There were a bunch of weak passing/turnovers throughout the night tho...not unusual for TFC, but no less annoying. Hopefully in warmer weather and the confidence boost we see some progress. Not sure what to expect on saturday since lineup varies.

Frei in net was awesome. He's still got it.
    RPB has Obama'ed me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I like Nelson's comment. "I don't care if we are playing for a bag of cobwebs. We want to win.""

^ Yeah, that's a great quote. Hard not to like the new gaffer. Couldn't be more opposite to Mariner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kelly article is horrible. It does have a point..

Canada in order to advance because of the way CONCACAF has done everything it can to fix the competition to allow US and Mexican teams to the Quarter Finals and prevent Canadians from making to the Quarter finals, we are forced to win the Competition in the group stage by beating the strongest contender possible.

In fact one of the Finalists has been in the same group as the Canadian team (or the group we would have been ala 09/10) every year but 11/12 where we had Pumas who was eliminated in the Semi Finals as well.
    Santos this year
    Cruz Azul and RSL Semi Finals and Finals respectively
    Cruz Azul would have been in 09/10 went to the Finals
    Atlante in 08/09 for Montreal went to the Finals.

So Kelly isn't wrong... for us to advance we basically have to out play a Mexican side that is likely strong enough to be in the finals. As the Competition is stacked against Canada

This year Canada needs to hope to draw Tijuana.
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my radio dial was on the fan590 this morn by mistake and not even a mention of the game last nite....they own the bloody team..wtf..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    my radio dial was on the fan590 this morn by mistake and not even a mention of the game last nite....they own the bloody team..wtf..
    That's brutal - even if they didn't own the team... TORONTO SPORTS RADIO should be mentioning the result of a TORONTO PROFESSIONAL SPORTS CLUB....

The radio station that talks about TFC the most? Z103.5... Anytime they do their little chats in the morning, the talk TFC "banter". Game days they give the BMO Field Forcast (always joking/telling it'll be 'colder at BMO' etc) and just banter about the team...

Sad that is our best radio chat - but at least they give TFC their time when chatting about weekend sports etc between tracks...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised. It was only mentioned in the 20 minute updates during my drive into work this morning.

I'm sure Tim & Sid will discuss it during their afternoon segment, as they're both TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised. It was only mentioned in the 20 minute updates during my drive into work this morning.

I'm sure Tim & Sid will discuss it during their afternoon segment, as they're both TFC fans.
    Well, sort of plays into Cathal Kelly's point....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even into the 7th year, it's still a battle to get TFC noticed by the MSM. The Leafs could be knocked out of the playoffs in 4 straight, and the Jays could go on a 10 game losing streak starting tonite, and TFC still would hardly get any attention. Such are the challenges in making an imprint on the existing sporting culture in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even into the 7th year, it's still a battle to get TFC noticed by the MSM. The Leafs could be knocked out of the playoffs in 4 straight, and the Jays could go on a 10 game losing streak starting tonite, and TFC still would hardly get any attention. Such are the challenges in making an imprint on the existing sporting culture in this city.
    It's going to take a sustained period of success for TFC to garner any meaningful media coverage in this town. Since the honeymoon period ended a few years ago, the team has become an afterthought in the media, with the exception of the coverage for the CCL match against LA last year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Oh agreed, the fact that we've sucked hasn't helped garner attention, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest MSM didn't provide ample coverage of yesterday's game.

All the major newspapers were there and filed reports. Sportsnet aired the game nationally (nationally!) across all four of its main channels. We had major coverage on sportsnet.ca (both in the buildup and the aftermath, including match highlights).

I'll admit it's unfortunate that FAN 590 didn't really touch on it this morning. But that's only one medium. There was plenty of coverage of this game from different outlets and across several mediums/platforms.

John Molinaro
    sportsnet.ca