Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Califf is not bothered by the cold. I think he was the only player without fabric sleeves last night! I wonder if O'Dea would have worn them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Califf is not bothered by the cold. I think he was the only player without fabric sleeves last night! I wonder if O'Dea would have worn them?
    Neither O'Dea or Richter wore sleeves last weekend, and Richter was without them again last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Neither O'Dea or Richter wore sleeves last weekend, and Richter was without them again last night.
    Richter also poured a water bottle over his head before the start. So he is REALLY not bothered.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Califf eats nails for pre game meal. And Richter is his protege, learning the way of being hard as fuck
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with the win, but I'm still conflicted on how to feel about the Canada Cup and the CCL in particular. I honestly think that participating in the CCL would be the death of any hopes we may have of making the play-offs. Thing is, I get it, we the supporters love the CCL, but the problem is that no one else really cares. I want TFC to be respected in the league, and it's tough to be respected when we're not making the play-offs - even if we have 4 national titles and we've gone far in the CCL.

Winning is great, yes. And I'll always love to watch TFC win. But winning the Canada Cup comes with a price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC played mostly their bench players and they still won the game! It shows we might have some quality depth for once, which is a good thing because it gives us an opportunity to do well in CCL and still make it to the playoffs. So why not try to win everything? Picking either CCL or playoffs shouldn't be a choice. TFC should thrive on winning everything and have that winning mentality (based on Nelsen comments, it seems they do have winning mentality). There's no need for this loser talk of choosing playoffs or CCL. We should encourage TFC for both and they should be judged on both (league and CCL results).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    TFC played mostly their bench players and they still won the game! It shows we might have some quality depth for once, which is a good thing because it gives us an opportunity to do well in CCL and still make it to the playoffs. So why not try to win everything? Picking either CCL or playoffs shouldn't be a choice. TFC should thrive on winning everything and have that winning mentality (based on Nelsen comments, it seems they do have winning mentality). There's no need for this loser talk of choosing playoffs or CCL. We should encourage TFC for both and they should be judged on both (league and CCL results).
    dude. TFC reserves played Montreal reserves. I think you're reaching a bit into conclusions
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I honestly think that participating in the CCL would be the death of any hopes we may have of making the play-offs. ... But winning the Canada Cup comes with a price.
    I 100% disagree. Montreal won the Voyageurs Cup in 2008 (not sure what the Canada Cup is ...), and proceeded to finish 3rd in league play.

Last year's other MLS Champion's League participants were LA, Seattle, Houston, and RSL. They ALL made the playoffs last year. Three of them were quarter-finalists and two of them were the finalists!

The year before the other MLS Champion's League participants were LA, Seattle, Colorado, and Dallas. They ALL made the playoffs that year - even though they were all in the Western conference!

The year before that (2010) the other MLS Champion's League participants were LA, Seattle, Columbus, and Salt Lake. Once again, they ALL made the play-offs.

In the entire competition (5 years) 20 other MLS teams have made the Champions League. 17 of those teams also made the MLS play-offs. 2 of the teams that failed were DC United.

There is no evidence that playing in the Champions League is going to have any serious impact on making the play-offs, based on performance by other MLS clubs. At least as long as you don't have Payne as GM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you're getting my point. Others have been able to succeed in both league as well as cup play - but not us. We've tried. Several times. Failed every time. So my point is that it would be nice to push forward and make the MLS a priority. Get into the play-offs at least ONCE, you know?

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to do both and succeed. I get it, it's possible. But it's a fact that cup games do come with a price ... injuries, tired legs, etc.. That translates into lost points. Keep that in mind!
    Last edited by Super; 04-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    dude. TFC reserves played Montreal reserves. I think you're reaching a bit into conclusions
    I actually loved the fact that we played our reserves. Shows that Saturday's game is waaaaay more important than the little cup games that no one cares about - here or anywhere else. Same reason I'm concerned about participation in the CCL again. We don't have enough reserves to play all those games. I want to keep our best players fit for the MLS fixtures. Send the youth academy to the cup games instead I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you're getting my point. Others have been able to succeed in both league as well as cup play - but not us. We've tried. Several times. Failed every time. So my point is that it would be nice to push forward and make the MLS a priority. Get into the play-offs at least ONCE, you know?
    We'll win the Voyageurs Cup and make the play-offs if we are a good team. Opting out of the Voyageurs Cup isn't only going to make a very marginal difference on whether we make the play-offs or not.

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to do both and succeed. I get it, it's possible. But it's a fact that cup games do come with a price ... injuries, tired legs, etc.. That translates into lost points. Keep that in mind!
    That is extremely over-rated. A very small price ... it's not going to turn a 5th place team into a 10th placed team (which is where we finished last year). Perhaps it's the difference between a 5th placed team and a 6th placed team ... but that's about it. And given the 5th placed team plays an away game against the 4th placed team in a knock-out, to play the 1st placed team ... is it really worth missing out something exciting like the Champions League for what Vancouver got last year ... getting knocked out of the play-offs without ever playing a game in Vancouver? We got 2 home Champions League games out of our last Champions League appearance, and 6 home games out of our previous appearance (before they changed the format). I'd much prefer that than a single away game.

I think giving up on the Voyageurs Cup at this stage is nothing but defeatism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Califf eats nails for pre game meal. And Richter is his protege, learning the way of being hard as fuck
    Califf should make this his 100th tattoo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    We'll win the Voyageurs Cup and make the play-offs if we are a good team. Opting out of the Voyageurs Cup isn't only going to make a very marginal difference on whether we make the play-offs or not.

That is extremely over-rated. A very small price ... it's not going to turn a 5th place team into a 10th placed team (which is where we finished last year). Perhaps it's the difference between a 5th placed team and a 6th placed team ... but that's about it. And given the 5th placed team plays an away game against the 4th placed team in a knock-out, to play the 1st placed team ... is it really worth missing out something exciting like the Champions League for what Vancouver got last year ... getting knocked out of the play-offs without ever playing a game in Vancouver? We got 2 home Champions League games out of our last Champions League appearance, and 6 home games out of our previous appearance (before they changed the format). I'd much prefer that than a single away game.

I think giving up on the Voyageurs Cup at this stage is nothing but defeatism.
    at least Vancouver made the playoffs in year 3... unlike TFC.

and TFC basically played home and away with Santos Laguna in CCL, because Aguila. well. that was a worthy competition, eh? i'm sure Mariner enjoyed the scrimmage quality game Aguila provided and the wins to boost his ego. at least previous editions of CCL was a bit more exciting than current format.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    ashtone morgan needs to learn how to pass or send a decent ball in. he's decent in other aspects of the game, but he kills so many promising looking attacks with his passing.

I like what we see of Richter.

Bostock needs to get back into the starting 11.

Weideman and Braun suck. especially Braun.
    The way Logan Emory played the other night and the way he was playing right before he got injured, I'd say Ashtone has some serious competition for that spot for the rest of the season.

It's also worth keeping Richter on the field for those throws alone. Man has a friggin' cannon for a throw in, longer than Serioux I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's due to bad management and lack of depth . Why settle just for playoffs? Why not both? Nfitz's post shows playing in CCL doesn't hurt MLS clubs' chances of making it to the playoffs. If anything, it shows that teams who play in CCL usually make it to the playoffs. TFC problems always been poor management and lack of depth, but now with new management lead by an experience soccer savvy GM and more quality players coming in, TFC actually stands a chance of doing both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon Yohan, our reserves were better than their reserves, get with the program would ya!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and TFC basically played home and away with Santos Laguna in CCL, because Aguila. well. that was a worthy competition, eh? i'm sure Mariner enjoyed the scrimmage quality game Aguila provided and the wins to boost his ego. at least previous editions of CCL was a bit more exciting than current format.
    At least TFC won VCup and played in CCL unlike Vancouver who never won VCup. So what's your point especially when Vancouver is taking Canadian championships seriously (they always have taking competition seriously).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    C'mon Yohan, our reserves were better than their reserves, get with the program would ya!!
    yeah, and ours are bigger then theirs too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voyagers cup is VERY important.... Especially for bottom feeders like TFC. Could anyone imagine the moral if TFC had never won
    the V cup to-bout??? I sure couldn't.

Secondly, for those who claim that TFC gains recognition/respect by making the playoffs, imagine the international recognition after winning the CCL..... and I believe its not an impossible feat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yaaaa but we had to start from scratch we didn't move a team over from another league like impact montreal and other expansion teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, not really. Bernier, Martins and Camera have all been regular first teamers, so WE played a reserve team, they played mostly a reserve team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, did anyone who played this match play well enough to warrant a starting spot in the next MLS game, and if so who do they replace? My feeling is that while Bekker and Osorio played well, Hall should be kept in that lone holding role if he keeps playing like he did vs Houston, and Silva starting as the 10 is a no brainer. I say let Osorio and Bekker continue to fight for their place in the next VC game. Bostock for me played well enough to start ahead of Ephraim or Lambe at wide midfield, but again if you REALLY want him to have to win his spot back, than play him as a sub in the next game, and then see if he keeps up the lively play in the next VC game. If he puts in another performance like yesterday than definitely reinstate him in the first XI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with the win, but I'm still conflicted on how to feel about the Canada Cup and the CCL in particular. I honestly think that participating in the CCL would be the death of any hopes we may have of making the play-offs. Thing is, I get it, we the supporters love the CCL, but the problem is that no one else really cares. I want TFC to be respected in the league, and it's tough to be respected when we're not making the play-offs - even if we have 4 national titles and we've gone far in the CCL.

Winning is great, yes. And I'll always love to watch TFC win. But winning the Canada Cup comes with a price.
    You make a good point. I think perhaps this year, where we have a "bit" more depth then previous years, we can afford to rest players and give players who may not be first 11 a run. I really liked Bostock's impact last night in 2nd half, was good to give Osario and Becker a run. I really feel that game last night will give Bostock a shot of confidence and hopefully he can transfer that to league play. I think most of us would gladly give up the Canada Cup for a decent shot at playoffs but if we use our squad correctly we can avoid the mistakes of previous yrs where we overplayed certain players. If we treat it like many teams in EPL do re league cup, we'll be alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    Don't get all the criticism on bruan and weeds, they both cause problems tonight with their high press, they are hard working, and they will be great depth players. Also Welshman doesn't look like he's ready to start or anything, but this kid has great potential, and could be tfc's future stars if he can pick it up and improve.

Next game i doubt the limpacts will put on any bench players, tfc needs to be ready for a fight (not parking the bus), but actually try to win.

Great to see tfc win again, along with a magnificent strike from doneil!!!!
    Braun was great. Hustling, winning balls, causing problems. Especially in ugly games like that one he is a great asset. He's been a very pleasant surprise. He needs a quality striker next to him but Nelsen's played him exactly the right way so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Well, not really. Bernier, Martins and Camera have all been regular first teamers, so WE played a reserve team, they played mostly a reserve team.
    Martins did not play, but Brovsky did

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martins did not play, but Brovsky did
    Yep.

I'd say two B/A teams. Or, if you're into tube amplifier options A/B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Ironic, since Nelsen looked bloody pissed when he missed that point blank chance afterwards.
    the weedman has no left foot ... he took 3 touches setting the ball for a right foot shot, then hit it right at the keeper ... saw it a couple times from weedman, no left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Then he should not be a striker. A striker does not need to have to be two footed, but he needs to be able to take a decent shot with either foot when the opportunity present itself. Otherwise he shall waist too many opportunities trying to get it on the good foot. Christ, I am a crappy overweight, once in a year Centre back and I can use my left when needed. A professional striker has to do the same.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    Braun was great. Hustling, winning balls, causing problems. Especially in ugly games like that one he is a great asset. He's been a very pleasant surprise. He needs a quality striker next to him but Nelsen's played him exactly the right way so far.
    Braun is TFC in a nutshell. Not ready to actually do anything. And sitting on the reserve team bench if they club that has signed him is deeper than a Kathern Humpries interview. Which we're not right now. Fuck the play-offs should be goal number one. Not some cup that so few people care about. But then again, beating semi-pro teams from Belize gives some hope.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took ya long enough to get back on this thread, eh?
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-30-2013 at 06:32 AM.