0 Thread(s)

Here's a really crappy highlight reel from the TFC game

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls/t...final-1st-leg/

Too bad about FC Edmonton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Bekker was really good defensively in the first half, but his passing was off a lot. In the second half he settled into the game and bossed the midfield. Maybe it was the improved movement around him that allowed him to be so dominant.
    Bostock also wasn't great in the first half, but in the second he made Tissot his bitch and found his teammates well.
    Osorio I thought had an all round solid game. I didn't notice him doing anything wrong.
    Weideman was absolutely terrible despite the goal. That second 1v1 he just had to put next to the keeper, but instead he blasted it into the air (which is the easiest save to make even when it isn't directly at him) like a 12 year old. Not at all an example of fine finishing. Plus he's slow as fuck and has no ball control. Oh well, he's still a great guy at least and a hard worker. I just hope he doesn't become a regular feature like under Mariner.
    Welshman isn't a midfielder. I want to see him further up the pitch as a winger or striker.
    I knew Henry would be fine. Gotta love the TFC masses complaining about how Henry will never be good enough because at the mature age of 20 he still made a mistake.

Silva is obviously key to our attack. Easily the best distributing 10 we've had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game overall, but I hope Earnshaw starts next week's game. Quality upfront was lacking tonight. If we had better strikers then the game could have ended 3-nil at least. It will be interesting to see who Nelsen fields next Wednesday's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I thought Bekker was really good defensively in the first half, but his passing was off a lot. In the second half he settled into the game and bossed the midfield. Maybe it was the improved movement around him that allowed him to be so dominant.
    Bostock also wasn't great in the first half, but in the second he made Tissot his bitch and found his teammates well.
    Osorio I thought had an all round solid game. I didn't notice him doing anything wrong.
    Weideman was absolutely terrible despite the goal. That second 1v1 he just had to put next to the keeper, but instead he blasted it into the air (which is the easiest save to make even when it isn't directly at him) like a 12 year old. Not at all an example of fine finishing. Plus he's slow as fuck and has no ball control. Oh well, he's still a great guy at least and a hard worker. I just hope he doesn't become a regular feature like under Mariner.
    Welshman isn't a midfielder. I want to see him further up the pitch as a winger or striker.
    I knew Henry would be fine. Gotta love the TFC masses complaining about how Henry will never be good enough because at the mature age of 20 he still made a mistake.

Silva is obviously key to our attack. Easily the best distributing 10 we've had.
    Agree with you 100%. Osario has a bright future, and Wiedeman has none. As for key goals, Henry, well.....he comes when need be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    The wind is always such a disaster at BMO field. Turns games into shitshows and looks like this one will end up like that too.
    i only got to watch from 60 min mark on ... saw some wind play but not much, weather was shit though --- what i did see was a hungry composed young squad give it their all, with some super ball control, and silva with silky smoothness serving sunshine to the weedman, capped off with a strong finish for a fuckin clean sheet! - and it was a pleasure to watch.

kudos to all you hearty souls who supported and witnessed the sweetness of that victory

impact > < TFC!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind Weideman being a depth striker. Remember last season he was FIRST choice for the second half of the season. He's not first 11. But he's ok as a depth striker. He's cheap, and gives players like Earnshaw a rest sometimes, so that's fine. We need players like Weideman and Dunfield, they are useful squad players, so I con't really complain about them. Last season was just silly when Weideman was always in the starting 11, obviously!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think better communication between Bekker and Osorio made Bekker more effective as he'd make more runs in the centre. Was less timid than his other games and fighting for balls. Thought he was still a bit sloppy on couple of occasions, but much better performance overall.
    I think Nelsen must have lit a fire on his ass at half time. Bostock was given more of a free role and roamed the midfield, though more from right side. If he puts in this kind of effort every game, plus better chemistry with his teammates, I think he'd do well for TFC
    Weedman reminds me of a very poor version of Inzaghi. Somehow he had 3 great chances to score and on a poor game like today, you have to have a poacher's instinct to put yourself in that sort of position.
    Welshman is a long term project. He needs loan to NASL/USL badly
    Montreal hardly tested TFC defence.

Amado Guevara hates you. Silva is awesome. With a DM like Alonso who can dominate the mid and Silva doesn't have to worry about tracking back, he'd be amazing.

My ratings

Frei 6
    Richter 6
    Henry 7
    Califf 6.5
    Morgan 6
    Bostock 7
    Bekker 6.5
    Osorio 6
    Welshman 5
    Braun 6
    Wiedeman 6.5
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Welshman is a long term project. He needs loan to NASL/USL badly
    Except TFC wont start doing that until MLS requres an affiliate team They seem to like dragging their heals whenever there's an opportunity to improve the structure of the club.

Montreal hardly tested TFC defence.
    True, I don't know for sure but when I was watching it looked like Henry did a decent job cleaning up the box and intercepting passes to prevent trouble from occurring in the first place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get all the criticism on bruan and weeds, they both cause problems tonight with their high press, they are hard working, and they will be great depth players. Also Welshman doesn't look like he's ready to start or anything, but this kid has great potential, and could be tfc's future stars if he can pick it up and improve.

Next game i doubt the limpacts will put on any bench players, tfc needs to be ready for a fight (not parking the bus), but actually try to win.

Great to see tfc win again, along with a magnificent strike from doneil!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is JoeyB at? Still wish Toronto was more like Montreal?

Also, after sitting in the cold for two hours I have't been able to stop sweating since I got home and I can't sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok...gotta say it. Well taken.
    I have some 'Crow' you can eat,lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Yeah, where is that guy? I wonder what his handle is on the UM02 board?

It was nice to get a "W" over the Limpact. Always feels good, and never get's old.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    How do you hide money from a White Caps fan?
    PUT IT UNDER THE SOAP!
    A+ for the old school GWAR reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ashtone morgan needs to learn how to pass or send a decent ball in. he's decent in other aspects of the game, but he kills so many promising looking attacks with his passing.

I like what we see of Richter.

Bostock needs to get back into the starting 11.

Weideman and Braun suck. especially Braun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree about Richter. He really impressed me last night. Him and Bostock really bossed that right side in the second half.

I disagree about Braun though. Although he wasn't at his best last night, I think he is a good target man for us. He wins alot of balls and is able to hold up the play.

And I can't say enough about Silva. The kid has shown that he is, and will be, the key to our offense this season. What a sublime through ball to Weeds for the second goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Game in Six" highlights are available: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...-april-24-2013

(Better than the mini-highlight reel from Sportsnet.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Meh, who cares. Hopefully he takes a long break from ever posting here again. I know I don't spend one iota of my time on the Montreal boards telling everyone how awesome TFC is.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ratings

Frei 6
    I would give Frei a 4, actually. He only looks good because he was barely tested. What little he did do looked quite rusty. I won't quibble with your other ratings.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you have changed your mind from your earlier posts below.

Pretty poor first half. Horrible weather. Empty stadium. Yeah, I'm pretty happy that I didn't go. Not sure I even want us to win this one. Don't think I can handle yet another season where we're spread insanely thin playing in the CCL. I'd like to see us make a go at making the play-offs this year, and we need 100 focus on that to have a chance. Tough to say that, because I always want TFC to win - and especially against Montreal - but let's just say this game means a hell of a lot less to me than the game on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    That was a good game. I'm looking forward to Saturday - hope we can repeat the performance.
    Last edited by Thomas; 04-25-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a really awful first half but great second. Finally started to see what Bekker can bring. I thought he had a great second half. Osorio looked good again. When they are brought into the game and get enough touches to look comfortable and confident on the ball,they are good. Bostock really was our man of the match though. He was rolling over people in the midfield, moved the ball well. All in all I was impressed with the second half play.

Henry played pretty well too - he brings something none of our other centre halves do which is that he'll carry the ball out from the back and take on a player before laying the ball off. It's nice to have that if he's smart about picking his opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock was great, especially in the second half. He also wasn't flopping, and used his size to boss around other players. Looks like he's adapting to MLS style of play.

Henry was really strong. Great goal and solid, no-nonsense defending. MOTM for me.

Silva and Osorio impressed too.

Braun isn't spectacular but causes a lot of problems for defenders. I don't mind him as a third or fourth choice striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i'm wrong about Braun and i'm overly critical of him. To me he seems really weak with the ball at his feet. as soon as he gets the ball he slows down a lot and then can't dribble or turn his defender to save his life. I like strikers with more skill.

i don't mind him or weederman as depth players, but i don't know why braun is playing over bostock. No logic in that one.

Weedman seems to actually have some technical ability, but his decision making is scary. Two dangerous runs toward the end of the game and he decides it's best to kill the clock? yikes.
    Last edited by MKR; 04-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    maybe i'm wrong about Braun and i'm overly critical of him. To me he seems really weak with the ball at his feet. as soon as he gets the ball he slows down a lot and then can't dribble or turn his defender to save his life. I like strikers with more skill.

i don't mind him or weederman as depth players, but i don't know why braun is playing over bostock. No logic in that one.

Weedman seems to actually have some technical ability, but his decision making is scary. Two dangerous runs toward the end of the game and he decides it's best to kill the clock? yikes.
    Looking back from memory, on one of them at least - I wonder if he didn't hear it from the bench to run to the corner...

He was on a dangerous run, had that 'striker look' moving forward, and suddenly stopped & went to the corner - almost like he heard the boss say "take it to the corner"... And to be honest, with our ability to allow goals in the 90th, I could see the boss wanting to kill the clock... LOL
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braun offers hold up play which Bostock can't do. He creates space for other players. Notice that Earnshaw is more effective when Braun is around? Plus Braun gets his head on setpieces.

It's too bad that Braun started his soccer education so late. I think he only picked up soccer since high school. But he's a typical avg MLS player. Not much skill, but all effort.

I think Nelsen was yelling at him to go to the corner
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think Nelsen was yelling at him to go to the corner
    Ironic, since Nelsen looked bloody pissed when he missed that point blank chance afterwards.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Glad to see you have changed your mind from your earlier posts below.

Pretty poor first half. Horrible weather. Empty stadium. Yeah, I'm pretty happy that I didn't go. Not sure I even want us to win this one. Don't think I can handle yet another season where we're spread insanely thin playing in the CCL. I'd like to see us make a go at making the play-offs this year, and we need 100 focus on that to have a chance. Tough to say that, because I always want TFC to win - and especially against Montreal - but let's just say this game means a hell of a lot less to me than the game on Saturday.

Completely disagree but if we compare the attendance on Sat night we'll see you're not alone and very well in the majority. Celebrate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Looking back from memory, on one of them at least - I wonder if he didn't hear it from the bench to run to the corner...

He was on a dangerous run, had that 'striker look' moving forward, and suddenly stopped & went to the corner - almost like he heard the boss say "take it to the corner"... And to be honest, with our ability to allow goals in the 90th, I could see the boss wanting to kill the clock... LOL
    Weeds looked instinctively like he was heading straight for goal. It definitely looked like he got a shout to suddenly go for the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Weeds looked instinctively like he was heading straight for goal. It definitely looked like he got a shout to suddenly go for the corner.
    I sit right behind the bench and didn't hear that. I think that was all the Weedman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ashtone morgan needs to learn how to pass or send a decent ball in. he's decent in other aspects of the game, but he kills so many promising looking attacks with his passing.

I like what we see of Richter.

Bostock needs to get back into the starting 11.

Weideman and Braun suck. especially Braun.
    correct on Morgan does need to pass seems like he just wants to beat one more player when a simple pass would do...

bah... what color do you cheer for... Braun and Weideman hustled out there last night

Bostock worked very hard, definitely needs to be back in the 11...

over all Things are moving in the right direction...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that stood out for me was the ineffectiveness of the 3 subs by Montreal. The 3 Italian imports/loanees didn't really do much when they had their chance.