Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all those unsure what to expect, Laba will be akin to Roger Espionoza formerly of SKC, and now of wigan in the EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    For those who missed it...
    Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapts.

You inevitably know some naive jackass will come on this board and complain about him not scoring goals after ten games, regardless of how he plays.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapt.

You inevitably know some naive jackass will come on this board and complain about him not scoring goals after ten games, regardless of how he plays.
    So long as his defensive and distributive output is worthy of the money he is earning than I don't think there will be a problem, unlike Julian who looked lazy or ineffective more than half the time he was playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, yes that will happen.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapts.

LOL we should start a pool for the date of the first "Laba sucks because he doesn't score" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    So long as his defensive and distributive output is worthy of the money he is earning than I don't think there will be a problem, unlike Julian who looked lazy or ineffective more than half the time he was playing.
    Agreed. Hopefully, Laba is hungry and motivated here. He looks like he has the talent to make a big impact.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but... but... he's Argentinian! he must be creative and have ability to score goals! and he's a DP! TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM! even though we have 3 and still have one more spot! Fire Kevin Payne! he's worse than track suit Mariner! And Nelsen is clueless!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is an exciting signing but I will temper my expectations until I see how he handles the physicality of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    but... but... he's Argentinian! he must be creative and have ability to score goals! and he's a DP! TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM! even though we have 3 and still have one more spot! Fire Kevin Payne! he's worse than track suit Mariner! And Nelsen is clueless!
    Ahh so Yohan is the culprit for starting those silly threads, the game is up my friend.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the amount of cautions he seems prone too, he may adapt to the phisycality of the MLS well. Proof is in the pudding though. As long as they can coach him, then they can help him with that end of the game.

The vision for distribution seems good by the vids I have seen, its just a question of the other players putting themselves in positions to benefit from the passing. There is a lot of work ahead for the team with a player like this being brought on board.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    It is an exciting signing but I will temper my expectations until I see how he handles the physicality of the league.
    Is physicalty, newspeak or doublespeak, I am working on my Orwellian Dictionary, kind of like disrespect, overly used words. Just being tongue in cheek, Whoop! Handles himself in a Physically demanding league, right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Given the amount of cautions he seems prone too, he may adapy the phisycality of the MLS well. Proof is in the pudding though. As long as they can coach him, then they can help him with that end of the game.

The vision for distribution seems good by the vids I have seen, its just a question of the other players putting themselves in positions to benefit from the passing. There is a lot of work ahead for the team with a player like this being brought on board.
    Stop it, or you will be sent to the Headmasters Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Thank you, sir!
    My pleasure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minora or majora?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Every time I see this thread I read 'LABA' as 'LABIA'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Kurt Larson:

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN
    Payne: We've been looking at Laba since I was in #DCUnited
    11:44 AM - 26 Apr 2013

SWEEET!!!
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM!
    You know, it's sort of funny that three or four years ago using the DP spot for a destroyer would have been seen as bad business. But after Alonso, Bekerman, Espinoza, etc... It just shows how this is perhaps the most important position on the field in terms of solidifying your team.

One good target man (or striker) + one very strong DM + two reasonably good CBs = easiest way to solidify a team in this league.

Looking at TFCs roster currently and.... Imagine that, we potentially have the first few building blocks of a team that doesn't completely suck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would make the most awesome TIFO EVER!!!!

Think about it, we could make a giant... oh, um, I mean... ya
    WE DID IT!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Is physicalty, newspeak or doublespeak, I am working on my Orwellian Dictionary, kind of like disrespect, overly used words. Just being tongue in cheek, Whoop! Handles himself in a Physically demanding league, right.
    Ha! LOL

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physicality

The word comes up time to time in my scouting reports.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Minora or majora?
    I'll decide that when I've seen him play
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, it's sort of funny that three or four years ago using the DP spot for a destroyer would have been seen as bad business. But after Alonso, Bekerman, Espinoza, etc... It just shows how this is perhaps the most important position on the field in terms of solidifying your team.

One good target man (or striker) + one very strong DM + two reasonably good CBs = easiest way to solidify a team in this league.

Looking at TFCs roster currently and.... Imagine that, we potentially have the first few building blocks of a team that doesn't completely suck.
    Except you can get a good DM without paying DP wages. The best DMs in the league aren't DPs.

Laba is an exception because a transfer fee was paid and he's a young DP so he only counts 200k against the cap.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Minora or majora?
    Totally beat you to that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^

and?...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    From Kurt Larson:

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN
    Payne: We've been looking at Laba since I was in #DCUnited
    11:44 AM - 26 Apr 2013

SWEEET!!!
    DC's loss is our gain.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Except you can get a good DM without paying DP wages. The best DMs in the league aren't DPs.

Laba is an exception because a transfer fee was paid and he's a young DP so he only counts 200k against the cap.
    True. I just hope he performs and becomes a key player for us. As long as we win matches, I don't care what the players earn

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would make the most awesome TIFO EVER!!!!

Think about it, we could make a giant... oh, um, I mean... ya

Let's not make fun of our own player's names. How would you feel if someone said your name sounded like [something inappropriate].... in some other language that isn't your own in the country you just moved to? Have a little sensitivity to our own player's feelings. You know that some players or their wags read the boards, the last thing he needs is jokes about this when he's trying to adjust to a new country, language, and culture. Let's support our players.

It would be like LA supporters calling Donovan "Landycakes." It just doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-26-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Let's not make fun of our own player's names. How would you feel if someone said your name sounded like [something inappropriate].... in some other language that isn't your own in the country you just moved to? Have a little sensitivity to our own player's feelings. You know that some players or their wags read the boards, the last thing he needs is jokes about this when he's trying to adjust to a new country, language, and culture. Let's support our players.
    I'll remove it. Needed it out of the system.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny is funny. I see nothing wrong with a joke about a funny-sounding name, regardless of language. And Argentines are pretty big "jodedores"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ready to be an adult again. I think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be like LA supporters calling Donovan "Landycakes." It doesn't happen.
    I don't think anyone was really making fun (I never thought Labia until it was noted) and NONE of it was mean spirited.

My last name is Saad (pronounced Sod) Now let your imagination run. Hell, start a thread dedicated to making fun of my last name if you like, I am always impressed when people can be original with it.

If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
    WE DID IT!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone was really making fun (I never thought Labia until it was noted) and NONE of it was mean spirited.

My last name is Saad (pronounced Sod) Now let your imagination run. Hell, start a thread dedicated to making fun of my last name if you like, I am always impressed when people can be original with it.

If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
    You probably haven't played on a sports team, at least not seriously. Those guys can make your life the next worst thing to a living hell.

There's a reason why Robbie Rogers didn't come out until after he was out of sports.

I know it wasn't mean spirited, but we want our players to feel welcome, and I don't think this is the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was less worried about how the players may take it then, say, women.