Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    so true. The hate thread will start after game 2, probably just entitled "Laba," with someone saying he's no good and a waste of cap space, overpaid, and Dunfield is much better plus a Canadian! It will run to 30 pages within 1 week.
    Not if you don't let it.lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    From what little I've seen out there I do not think he's an AM. Zero goals in almost 60 appearances wouldn't instil confidence that's his position, and from little can be gathered from the U20 WC, it looks like he's a DM or CM.

The one thing though that might be a bit worrying is he seems to get a lot of cards. Which leads me to wonder if he's either poor defensively or just reckless?

Just watched a highlight package and the majority of them are him tackling, creating turnovers (so that could explain the yellows), and passing upfield. He's right footed but it looks like he's ok with his left foot too.
    DeGuzman?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Not if you don't let it.lol
    lol, we always let those threads run their course unless a major flame war erupts.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    DeGuzman?
    Are you asking if he's like JDG? My answer would be no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find it interesting that Argentinos Juniors president Luis Segura told Argentinian media yesterday that the club has not received any offer from Toronto FC or MLS. From what you have reported Argentinos Juniors has received an offer from TFC for Matias Laba. Is the president saying BS? In that same quote the reporter says other leaders say otherwise and that an offer was received weeks ago.

Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite 14h # AAAJ Luis Segura denied that make an offer to the club reached by Matias Laba of MLS.Otros leaders say they arrived a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...0Laba&src=typd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Find it interesting that Argentinos Juniors president Luis Segura told Argentinian media yesterday that the club has not received any offer from Toronto FC or MLS. From what you have reported Argentinos Juniors has received an offer from TFC for Matias Laba. Is the president saying BS? In that same quote the reporter says other leaders say otherwise and that an offer was received weeks ago.

Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite 14h # AAAJ Luis Segura denied that make an offer to the club reached by Matias Laba of MLS.Otros leaders say they arrived a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...0Laba&src=typd
    How many times have we heard these types of denials before the player leaves the next day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yep I watched a fair amount of la Liga de Guzman and while he was very defensive he was a hell of a player. I think Mo got conned into that contract. In the span of half a year JDG went from being linked to the biggest non-el Classico clubs in Spain to coming to TFC. I think he was probably crocked physically and the teams over there knew it.

Mo rushed in and took the bate. Sure enough he falls apart shortly after and to make things worse our mentally challenged management think he's an AM after watching a handful of gold cup games.

He was literally known in Spain for shooting the ball over the net!! But he was near telepathic at reading passes. Watched him masterfully shield the backline when depor beat Real Madrid on two occasions.

That being said you could argue he didn't help himself either, although he kept his mouth shut while being consistently railed until he left town, which shows a certain amount of tack.

Bad signing on all levels unfortunately.
    JDG was black listed in Europe after he spoke out against the club that had gone months without paying him. He couldn't get a contract ANYWHERE and left the TFC offer on the table for a long time. When he had strained all of his resources he reluctantly took the TFC offer as it was literally the ONLY offer on the table. He lacked any kind of motivation here because he never wanted to come here unless he had to.

Back on the topic of Laba...I like the signing. It doesn't matter what he is getting paid as only 200k counts towards the cap. If Laba sees this as an opportunity to show other leagues that he can perform at a high level in a physical league this could be a very good move.

After years of getting excited before a ball is kicked I will reserve any judgement until after he has some games in the league under his belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    JDG was black listed in Europe after he spoke out against the club that had gone months without paying him. He couldn't get a contract ANYWHERE and left the TFC offer on the table for a long time. When he had strained all of his resources he reluctantly took the TFC offer as it was literally the ONLY offer on the table. He lacked any kind of motivation here because he never wanted to come here unless he had to.

Back on the topic of Laba...I like the signing. It doesn't matter what he is getting paid as only 200k counts towards the cap. If Laba sees this as an opportunity to show other leagues that he can perform at a high level in a physical league this could be a very good move.

After years of getting excited before a ball is kicked I will reserve any judgement until after he has some games in the league under his belt.
    Wait, you get blacklisted by asking the contract be honoured?
    Last edited by Richard; 04-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wait, you get blacklisted by asking the contract be honoured?
    Basically yeah, but within certain circles. To me that explains a lot of him leaving Spain, but all of Europe? That doesn't add up.

He's not the only player to get in a financial dust-up with a Spanish club. They don't get exiled from the continent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Basically yeah, but within certain circles. To me that explains a lot of him leaving Spain, but all of Europe? That doesn't add up.

He's not the only player to get in a financial dust-up with a Spanish club. They don't get exiled from the continent.
    IIRC it wasn't necessarily the contract but I think they owed him over a million in bonuses. He went public on it, and I think that's why he barely made an appearance in 2009 although I think he might have been injured as well?

I also seem to recall him arriving here essentially came down to JDG saying "make me an offer I can't refuse" - because his value in Europe at the time was nowhere near what he got here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent article on situation with Matias Laba and TFC: read carefully

English version:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...a-su-situacion

Spanish version:

http://www.argentinospasion.com.ar/i...a-su-situacion
    Last edited by moralis; 04-11-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing the president continues today saying the club has not received an official offer from Toronto FC:

Alejandro Giordano ‏@alegiordano11 46m Luis Segura pte #AAAJ "No recibimos pedido oficial por Laba. Quizá se contactaron con él o su representante" (por el interés del #TorontoFC)

https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/st...39111616585729

Comment from Laba tonight saying: I'm content in Argentinos and the situation is difficult for the club, plus he does not know if he's saying or leaving:

Alan Yajia ‏@alanyajia 11m
    Matias Laba en la previa de Pasion Paternal: "Estoy comodo en Argentinos y es una situacion dificil del club. No se si me voy a ir"

https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the club ever actually said the player they are signing is Laba? Or was this just a reporter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    It's amazing the president continues today saying the club has not received an official offer from Toronto FC:

Alejandro Giordano ‏@alegiordano11 46m Luis Segura pte #AAAJ "No recibimos pedido oficial por Laba. Quizá se contactaron con él o su representante" (por el interés del #TorontoFC)

https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/st...39111616585729

Comment from Laba tonight saying: I'm content in Argentinos and the situation is difficult for the club, plus he does not know if he's saying or leaving:

Alan Yajia ‏@alanyajia 11m
    Matias Laba en la previa de Pasion Paternal: "Estoy comodo en Argentinos y es una situacion dificil del club. No se si me voy a ir"

https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768
    Sounds like Bullshit to me, wait for the 'Official' announcement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes following a team too closely gets soooooo annoying!!!! Maybe this Argentinos Pres is a Cochrane "Plata is still a member of TFC" equivalent?

Either way would dampen expactations if only relied on torontofc.ca for news. No Peralta, Urruti or Laba to get hyped about (plus prob many more that Im forgetting right now)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Sometimes following a team too closely gets soooooo annoying!!!! Maybe this Argentinos Pres is a Cochrane "Plata is still a member of TFC" equivalent?

Either way would dampen expactations if only relied on torontofc.ca for news. No Peralta, Urruti or Laba to get hyped about (plus prob many more that Im forgetting right now)
    I have tried to stop doing tfc stuff at work, I am getting more done and am happier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this true, but it seems TFC have increased their offer to Argentinos Juniors for Matias Laba to 2 million dollars from 1.5 million dollars:

Football News ‏@FootballNews013 54m Laba (Argentinos Jrs) pretendido por el Toronto FC, que lo compraría por dos millones de dólares.

https://twitter.com/FootballNews013/...58842641371136

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That "done deal" doesn't seem to be very done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That "done deal" doesn't seem to be very done.
    Very frustrating indeed - and seems to happen with this club way more than anyone else...

They need to learn to keep a lid on these things as much as possible until they are in fact done...

Hopefully it gets worked out and help is on the way...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$2million offer? Wow, looks like this Argentine club is just milking every dollar and dime from TFC. Hopefully, $2 million is the final offer. If TFC is going to spend that kind of money, then they might as spend it on a proven player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You never really know what's accurate out there.

What we are seeing in the argentine press could be true or just a big story of: "oh we didn't want to sell our star player, but then we negotiated really hard and they gave us an offer we couldn't refuse so we had no choice because of a great deal... Blah blah blah"

Personally I'd rather have rumors and something to speculate on as opposed to nothing. It might not be TFC releasing these leaks either, so it's hard to fault them considering we really are only going by what's reported, without any true sense of where it's coming from

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is unlikely that tfc is leaking the numbers.

That said, media is speaking like they have spoken to Nelsen and Payne and it is good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    $2million offer? Wow, looks like this Argentine club is just milking every dollar and dime from TFC. Hopefully, $2 million is the final offer. If TFC is going to spend that kind of money, then they might as spend it on a proven player.
    except a proven player would cost more against the cap, and that's all that really matters. You can't get a proven U23

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe its some kind of pride-posturing thing going on from Argentinos? Their young star is being poached by a team in Canada after all. The fan base probably be somewhat insulted if not looking at the situation logically.

Unless there was the notion of large transfer fee paid and that the club resisted as long as possible
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 04-15-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    except a proven player would cost more against the cap, and that's all that really matters. You can't get a proven U23
    Laba will count as a DP. So cap hit will be same as any other DP during midseason. This signing better work or else TFC wasted $2 million on a player they're not going to get good ROI in terms of dollars compare to high profile player signings. Also on Transfer market, Laba is worth 500,000 Euros only. Also, I don't see any other clubs bidding on Laba. So there isn't much demand for Laba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone needs to be reminded this is all speculation. Who knows if this guy is actually comming here in the first place, the fee is also speculation and probably false.

Transfer market.de is not anywhere near a reliable source of player valuation, if that were the case Andy Carrol(plus a bajillion more players) wouldnt have been sold for £35 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think everyone needs to be reminded this is all speculation. Who knows if this guy is actually comming here in the first place, the fee is also speculation and probably false.

Transfer market.de is not anywhere near a reliable source of player valuation, if that were the case Andy Carrol(plus a bajillion more players) wouldnt have been sold for £35 million.
    Transfer market valuation based on players performance (both club and international), demand and age. Just because some mediocre EPL player like Carrol (even though he had some huge upside to become a really good player in EPL and English national team at the time) got sold (overpaid) doesn't mean Transfer market valuation was wrong. It isn't a bad source to use to get some perspective on a player's value especially when we are talking about transfers here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Maybe its some kind of pride-posturing thing going on from Argentinos? Their young star is being poached by a team in Canada after all. The fan base probably be somewhat insulted if not looking at the situation logically.

Unless there was the notion of large transfer fee paid and that the club resisted as long as possible
    It's just as likely it's posturing from TFC. The team has some interest in trying to tell the supporters the team will get bet this year after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Laba will count as a DP. So cap hit will be same as any other DP during midseason. This signing better work or else TFC wasted $2 million on a player they're not going to get good ROI in terms of dollars compare to high profile player signings.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules
    • A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** (referred to as Young Designated Players or Young DPs) to counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 21-23 years old** counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.
    • A Designated Player over the age of 23 counts as $350,000 against the club’s salary budget, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000
    • the budget charge for the midseason signing of a Young DP is $150,000
    Not the same midseason, and certainly not the same for the following seasons.

Also on Transfer market, Laba is worth 500,000 Euros only. Also, I don't see any other clubs bidding on Laba. So there isn't much demand for Laba.
    Lol Transfer markt values are often way off of what teams actually end up having to pay for a player.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

fuck it. just leave the table - walk away. we'll get by.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha