Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matias Laba thread

TORONTO - A deal to bring Argentine youth international Matias Laba to BMO Field is signed, sealed and all but delivered.

The Sun has learned that Laba, a 21-year-old central midfielder currently pulling strings for Argentinos Juniors of Buenos Aires, will join fellow countryman Maximiliano Urruti, of Argentina's Newell Old Boys, at Toronto FC in the coming weeks,
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Tor.../20722876.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this could be very interesting...I hope these guys can produce!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They're going to tear this league apart!
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    They're going to tear this league apart!
    Someone HAD to say it!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or
    MLSE will tear them apart.

did you guys see who Montreal just signed? very interesting indeed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, when I read "Montreal sign 19 year old Maximilliano..." I almost had a heart attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely an exciting signing. Hopefully we have another central midfielder in the mix as well... We really do need two of them.

Every great team in MLS has a strong player or two in the middle, no way around it. Fingers crossed he works out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know what type of player Laba is? Attacking midfielder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Does anyone know what type of player Laba is? Attacking midfielder?
    From what little I've seen out there I do not think he's an AM. Zero goals in almost 60 appearances wouldn't instil confidence that's his position, and from little can be gathered from the U20 WC, it looks like he's a DM or CM.

The one thing though that might be a bit worrying is he seems to get a lot of cards. Which leads me to wonder if he's either poor defensively or just reckless?

Just watched a highlight package and the majority of them are him tackling, creating turnovers (so that could explain the yellows), and passing upfield. He's right footed but it looks like he's ok with his left foot too.
    Last edited by spark; 04-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google translator...
    @ Emaquix: # TFC MATIAS LABA: "Often heard rumors and did not end anything. Live the day to day and think Argentinos" via @ PasionPaternal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the acquisition of new highly skilled players how will Nelson alter the formation? Preferably we I think we want Laba, Urruti and Silva at the same time, this will allow for an explosive offense with Earnshaw getting service as the lone striker.

Currently though im more worried about Nelsons game tactics than the new player themselves.

Perhaps we see the 4-3-3 going forward.
    Last edited by Richard; 04-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been asking Argentinos fans about him. Got some great stuff, so look for an article soon on RedNation.

Couple points; he is a runner. Best skill is in ball recovery. Worryingly, a couple people said he is not a creative midfielder, so I don't expect much in terms of Torsten Frings-like long passes. But he's fast, apparently. Expensive too. Let's see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    With the acquisition of new highly skilled players how will Nelson alter the formation? Preferably we I think we want Laba, Urruti and Silva at the same time, this will allow for an explosive offense with Earnshaw getting service as the lone striker.

Currently though im more worried about Nelsons game tactics than the new player themselves.

Perhaps we see the 4-3-3 going forward.
    I don't think he'll alter it very much at all. In the games that Silva has come on, he's played in midfield and maybe Nelsen plans to start him there as well. If that's the case, I imagine it will be something like:
    Bendik
    Ecks - Agboss - Califf - Morgan
    Bostock - Silva - Laba - Ephraim
    Urruti - Earnshaw
    Perhaps we will see variants like the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2, but I think there's a ways to go before Nelsen feels confident enough with the team to play with more attacking formations, If ever. I think his preferred system is two two way CMs, a CF and a dynamic shadow striker, and midfield wingers. He may play around with different types of players in each role, but I'm not sure yet if he will change he system up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    I've been asking Argentinos fans about him. Got some great stuff, so look for an article soon on RedNation.

Couple points; he is a runner. Best skill is in ball recovery. Worryingly, a couple people said he is not a creative midfielder, so I don't expect much in terms of Torsten Frings-like long passes. But he's fast, apparently. Expensive too. Let's see what happens.
    This sounds like exactly the type of player we need to get more creative players into midfield. Someone who can cover lots of ground to make up for players who might ignore their defensive responsibilities.
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 04-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll pretty much slot in where Hall plays which leaves Osorio, Bekker, Dunfield and maybe Silva to fight it out for the "box-to-box" mid position.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are quotes from him saying he doesn't know anything about a deal and he's focusing on Argentinos. He claims they are rumours and that the directors and managers haven't spoken with him about it (according to PasionPaternal who just did a radio interview with him).

He's their captain, according to this article: http://www.tycsports.com/notas/78413-se-va-matias-laba
    http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/201...llevar-a-laba/

Both of those articles (one of which was quoted on Waking The Red), indicate that the offer is already there and that Laba has already made an agreement with TFC, but that Argentinos need to make up their minds about our deadline.

Judging by the fan comments on the pasionpaternal site, their feelings are mixed about the sale. They say he's having a great season and they are currently in a relegation fight.
    It looks like 1.5 million and Argentinos wanted us to wait but we are insisting on end of April at the latest.
    Very mixed bag in terms of whether he's worth the money or not. But of course, we all know about internet footy fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

massive upgrade in the position of biggest need; can't wait to see his game at bmo field

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    massive upgrade in the position of biggest need; can't wait to see his game at bmo field
    i'm going to wait until this kid gets a few games before deciding whether he is an upgrade or not. nobody knows anything about this guy, and too many Argentinian flops in MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    i'm going to wait until this kid gets a few games before deciding whether he is an upgrade or not. nobody knows anything about this guy, and too many Argentinian flops in MLS
    You are absolutely right; but in terms of a playing resume so far; he has one of the better one's and if the rumoured cash being spent to bring him is true, you'd hope this isn't a blind Caicedo or Aceval move.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We already know what he's going to do to this league, Prizby

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    You are absolutely right; but in terms of a playing resume so far; he has one of the better one's and if the rumoured cash being spent to bring him is true, you'd hope this isn't a blind Caicedo or Aceval move.
    Pablo Vitti says you're an optimist
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right where that's concerned, but lets not limit it to the geographical location. There's a lot of NON-NORTH AMERICAN flops in MLS. Because they're simply not use to the travel that MLS regular season play demands. Along with the fact there's rules about how your team travels, etc. It's probably very hard for a player to adjust to these things. But i'm not a player, or in any way involved with professional soccer so I can't really say for sure!

Couple of good Argentinian players in MLS though Yohan, Real Salt Lake found some great success with them in Javier Morales and Fabian Espindola. But the situations can't be compared we're getting Laba & Urruti at a young age where they can grow and be taught.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    You're right where that's concerned, but lets not limit it to the geographical location. There's a lot of NON-NORTH AMERICAN flops in MLS. Because they're simply not use to the travel that MLS regular season play demands. Along with the fact there's rules about how your team travels, etc. It's probably very hard for a player to adjust to these things. But i'm not a player, or in any way involved with professional soccer so I can't really say for sure!

Couple of good Argentinian players in MLS though Yohan, Real Salt Lake found some great success with them in Javier Morales and Fabian Espindola. But the situations can't be compared we're getting Laba & Urruti at a young age where they can grow and be taught.
    you don't have to tell me about the history of MLS

RSL lucked out. Brought in 3 argentinians, 2 of them panned out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yers#Argentina

Most of players on this list was a flop

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Google translator...
    @ Emaquix: # TFC MATIAS LABA: "Often heard rumors and did not end anything. Live the day to day and think Argentinos" via @ PasionPaternal
    Regarding all this stuff: sounds like PR 101. He's not going to say he's hitting the eject button in the middle of a relegation fight. As for the contract terms mentioned, earlier is better than later but if he's the player we want that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Probably just something for each side to squabble about at the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't have to tell me about the history of MLS

RSL lucked out. Brought in 3 argentinians, 2 of them panned out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yers#Argentina

Most of players on this list was a flop
    What's luck have to do with it? Sure that's a high hit rate, but as a club over the past years they generally are good at scouting new players.

Remember the majority of players that come to this league don't work out period, turnover is crazy high. So you have a large number of argentines but also a large number of flops, might not mean anything specifically about the market.

From my POV it's cheaper than Europe, the track record in MLS is certainly no worse than most places, and we have management with connections there (Payne). Works for me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What's luck have to do with it? Sure that's a high hit rate, but as a club over the past years they generally are good at scouting new players.

Remember the majority of players that come to this league don't work out period, turnover is crazy high. So you have a large number of argentines but also a large number of flops, might not mean anything specifically about the market.

From my POV it's cheaper than Europe, the track record in MLS is certainly no worse than most places, and we have management with connections there (Payne). Works for me
    my point is that don't get overly optimistic about Argentinian signings. heck, don't get overly excited about any signings. temper your enthusiasm with reality

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my point is that don't get overly optimistic about Argentinian signings. heck, don't get overly excited about any signings. temper your enthusiasm with reality
    This is true of any signings - especially from a new league. Same deal for any league in the world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care where anyone is from, unless they sign a top 10 world player, I want to see them play before I get too excited.

That said, I AM optimistic :-D

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matias Laba: Toronto FC's Midfield Solution?

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articl...dSolution.aspx

Laba is described as a purely central midfielder who has plenty of pace and runs quite a bit; he was also described as a collector, translated to English as a player who can intercept the ball. In almost every case, fans of the team said he was a great player. 

One consensus among Argentinos supporters was that Laba is not a creative midfielder. He was described multiple times as a “recuperador” which roughly translates to someone who recovers but the context of which is clear – Laba is a player who intercepts and recovers the ball, not necessarily a creator of plays or chances. Read More Here...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I read some pretty mixed comments, Armen. What's your source there?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took to Twitter and asked Argentinos Juniors fans about Laba. I had some mixed messages so I only added the repeated themes amongst their fans; good passer, really fast/runner and not a creative midfielder but a defensive midfielder. The word "recuperador" came up more than once.

That, plus the video, and that gives us a general sense of who he is as a player. He may have qualities we don't know about and maybe Nelsen has plans to use him in a different role if he does sign but for now, this is a first look at the kind of player he is.