0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post-Game 6: TFC @ PU; Sat., Apr. 13th @ 4pm

My preferred line-up:

----------------Bendik--------------

Eckersley---Agboss--O'Dea---Russell

-------Bekker-----------Osorio------

--Ephraim-------Silva------Bostock--

--------------Earnshaw-------------

Frei kept a clean sheet in the reserve match, but I would prefer to wait and see how he does in games that actually matter (i.e. Canadian Championship); remember: they were up a man for much of that match and it is just reserves, after all -- not a whole lot on the line, besides scrapping for playing time (glorified training scrimmage).

Ironically enough, I liked having Ecks on the left because I felt like, too often, he opts to belt the ball down the pitch, to no avail and, since he's not as comfortable on his left, he would be forced to mix his game up a bit; there were a couple times where him cutting inside actually lead to us getting a free-kick in a good spot to send a quality ball in. That said, he's most comfortable and consistent on the right side and does his job there well enough. Agboss, I thought, had a stellar match; I can see what Nelson was saying when he expressed a little concern over Agboss always trying to play out of the back.. but, to be fair, I think that compliments the rest of the defence nicely, since they all have a tendency to by-pass the midfield with a long ball (well, O'Dea was connecting with Bostock a lot, with long balls, but the point still stands). I'll repeat that I thought Russell had his best showing in Montréal, at LB; I'd put him back there and see how he fares.

There's a case for starting Hall, considering his hustle and improved overall game.. but, he was also very close to being sent off; with how aggressively he pushed Perez (that cunt) to the ground, I feared the worse, for a moment and, certainly, whilst being on a yellow card and having to play such a physical role as a shield to the back-line, he was playing with fire on a couple challenges. I think having him sit a match out or, possibly, coming in off the bench would be good to give him a chance to cool off and think about playing a more responsible role, next time out. Osorio now has a full half under his belt and, hopefully, the nerves from starting his first match are behind him. Whilst I'm firmly in the camp that says he should be eased in, injuries have forced our hand and he's more likely to be called upon; he will know this and will want to improve on what he's shown so far, not letting the start get to his head and taking things for granted. Bekker is not as good defensively as Osorio, so I would look to have Osorio hold position that bit more and give Bekker licence to pick his moments to join the attack.

Bostock, I fear, doesn't look up often enough, focusing so much on dribbling; he misses key passes and otherwise runs into trouble, this way. For this reason, I no longer feel like he would do well in AM; he had a few minutes there, before his substitution and didn't seem as motivated to show his stuff as one might have expected him to be. He does, however, sometimes play some nice one-twos and I've seen him put in the odd quality cross. That said, Bostock should be tried on his more natural left side and have Ephraim play wide right, where he often will naturally drift towards, anyway -- have the two swap sides, if it seems like that might help. Silva can't play wide and does well to bring his team-mates into games, when, perhaps, they've been mostly invisible (there have been many examples of this); as with Osorio, he now has a full half under his belt and has earned, at the least, more time than that (45 mins.).. which, of course, effectively means that he's earned the start, behind the striker (if they didn't think he had, last time out).

Earnshaw's got some good feet on him and a good read of when to make his runs. With Silva starting in the side, I would be interested to see how he fares when the ball is played more on the ground.

Substitutions:

* If Russell is having a stinker, bring him off for A.Morgan to take his place -- whenever deemed necessary or, bring him on for one of Bekker or Osorio, if either is showing their greenness to the severe detriment of the game-plan, and then move Russell to DM. In Morgan's brief cameo, last game, I was screaming for him, on a couple occasions, to wake up, after watching him standing and, literally, doing nothing, during a few key defensive moments. That said, still a bit soon to start him, methinks.

* 60th-70th min. = Braun/Lambe for Silva, if he's gassed or Bostock if he's having a stinker. This keeps Braun hungry and, whilst Lambe has been relatively consistent, I think Bostock has a bit more quality to affect the game with over Lambe; should Bostock not take his chances against Philly, I would sit him in place of Lambe (provided we haven't yet seen any reinforcements added, of course).

* 70th-80th min. Hall for the other of our two young DM's, to close out the game.
    Last edited by JuliquE; 04-07-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Error caused by timed-out session

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how dare you steal my job
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon, man.. I think I've earned the odd start, here or there, to push you in the first eleven.
    Last edited by JuliquE; 04-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    C'mon, man.. I think I've earned the odd start, here or there, to push you in the first eleven.
    hahaha. well played
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik
    Russell---Boss---O'Dea---Morgan
    Hall---Bekker
    Bostock-----Silva------Ephraim
    Earnshaw

The Boss has earned another start regardless of Califf's condition. Eckersley will most likely be out due to his hamstring so I see Russell on the right with Morgan back on the left, hoping for a solid outing from him. Russell needs to watch himself, his wonder goal doesn't hide the fact he was defensively poor for the 2nd game running.

Give Bekker a chance in center midfield. Still want to see Osorio get minutes off the bench but we can't start him too often, naturally he doesn't have that consistency yet and putting too much weight on his shoulders won't help his confidence.

If Ephraim finally moves back to left mid this is a make or break game for me. His best game this season was the opener against Vancouver when he was on the left. He moved there at the end of the Dallas match and produced his best play. If he puts in a lackluster performance from there next week I don't know if we'll be seeing him around come June.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Nelson said Ecks was fine. If he isn't, then I think Russell @ RB and Morgan @ LB is the only way to go.

I fear you might be right about Osorio, after looking at that Tweet he made.. although, I don't think he had nearly as bad a game, to that point, as a few others on the pitch had. It can go one of two ways: he can be chomping at the bit to show he's better than that, if given the chance or, as you suggest, he could sink further into self-doubt; it's hard to gauge, but taking responsibility the way he has, is always the right way to go.

Agreed on Ephraim, but, as you've alluded, he's hardly to blame; Nelson will obviously know a whole lot more than us about what's been going on behind closed doors, in training, but I think that Ephraim is just more comfortable playing out wide and, perhaps, lack of (quality) options is forcing Nelson's hand, a bit. Certainly glad we aren't "married" to these players and they know they have to prove their worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendix
    Gabby(ecks)-----Gabby(califf)---Odea---Morgan
    Ephraim--- Russell--- Silva---Becker(Osario)
    Earnshaw---Braun
    Bostock---Henry---Hall---Osario(becker),who else we got for the bench.---Wellman---Weideman---lambe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Nelson said Ecks was fine. If he isn't, then I think Russell @ RB and Morgan @ LB is the only way to go.

I fear you might be right about Osorio, after looking at that Tweet he made.. although, I don't think he had nearly as bad a game, to that point, as a few others on the pitch had. It can go one of two ways: he can be chomping at the bit to show he's better than that, if given the chance or, as you suggest, he could sink further into self-doubt; it's hard to gauge, but taking responsibility the way he has, is always the right way to go.

Agreed on Ephraim, but, as you've alluded, he's hardly to blame; Nelson will obviously know a whole lot more than us about what's been going on behind closed doors, in training, but I think that Ephraim is just more comfortable playing out wide and, perhaps, lack of (quality) options is forcing Nelson's hand, a bit. Certainly glad we aren't "married" to these players and they know they have to prove their worth.
    Eckersley himself apparently thinks he might miss some time.

I didn't think Osorio was particularly bad either. I thought he was about as ineffectual as everyone else was in that first half, there wasn't much he could've done to really impact the game the way we were playing. Young players are harder on themselves for their mistakes. This is a good thing if you ease them into the team because they'll push themselves to get better and take advantage of the minutes they'll get. But if you just throw them in they can get overwhelmed over time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Russell played RB in Montreal?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would want to see:

Bendick
    Russel-Califf-O'Dea-Ecks
    Hall-Silva
    Lambe-Bostock-Ephraim
    Earnie

Silva as a deeper playmaker, Bostock in the middle as tha AM, and Ephraim out wide, where he looks more natural. Hall did enough for me to keep his place, he's definitely improving this season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think with the Union we can really try to 'take it to them' even in their house.

I would like to see us try:

---------Bendick
    Russel-Bossman-O'Dea-Morgan
    -----------Hall---------------
    Bostock --Silva---Ephraim
    ---------Braun----------
    -------Earnie---------

I would like to see Bekker and Oso get some time. Also maybe Henry but Bossman is HUGE.

I like Braun in the 10 man because at 6'3" he is a target man in the box which we desperately need, I don't think he is another Danny K, but who knows if we will see him back.

I am still very happy with Nelsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braun doesn't have the passing or dribbling to play the #10 role. It's in the box or bust with him. Better to play a straight up 4-1-2-1-2 if you want him and Earnshaw up front at the same time, but we'd need a better DM than Hall to play it properly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nah; it was a straight swap for A.Morgan.

Agreed with notthesun on Braun (box or bust) and that we can't rely on Hall as the lone shield to our back-line.

I think, T-Boy, that Bostock doesn't get his head up often enough to bring his mates into the game the way an AM should and, when given the chance, last time out, he didn't look anything like someone desperately awaiting his chance in his favourite position (AM), before being substituted. I still think he has too much quality about him, going forward, to leave him out of the line up, just yet.. but, I would say that it's a case where the player's opinion on his best position is a bit different than the reality.

That said, maybe if he's to start there (as I had been also calling for), as we've not yet seen, he can do better and, if struggling a bit, going into the second half, he can be given ten or so minutes to get it together, after Nelson has a word with him on his performance.

I also thought Silva did well in that role, Saturday and wouldn't mind seeing him get a run of games there. I just fear that our line-ups are a bit too attacking-minded for Nelson's liking, atm. I don't think he took Osorio off for having a bad game or because of fitness concerns; rather, I think that Osorio was simply the more likely one, between him and Hall, to join in the attack.. so, he probably thought twice about having two players there of whom will both want to get forward, leaving us far too open.

In the end, it would be nice to have Braun or Lambe be able to come off of the bench, late on.. rather than some of our other options, which are more suited to when we have injuries and are forced to start our impact subs, with some of the others to round out our bench coming into the game, late (i.e. not really game-changers, if we need a life-line; I think it's always good to have a strong plan B, to throw a wrench in the opposition's plan).
    Last edited by JuliquE; 04-08-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BREAKING NEWS: I've already seen this game, TFC spanks Philly 3-1. Union's goal comes from a BS penalty call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nah; it was a straight swap for A.Morgan.
    in montreal game, russell subbed in for morgan, but he played RB ... ecks moved over to LB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol... didn't take long for Braun to be suggested as a starter. Let's not do that unless everyone else is injured.

Though he does look like a skinny version of Koevermans... and after 15 minutes has as good of a scoring rate.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 04-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preferred line-up:

----------------Bendik--------------

---Russell---Califf--O'Dea---Morgan--

---------------Hall------------------

--Bostock-----Silva-----Ephraim----

--------------Earnshaw-------------

--------------Braun----------------

Defensively Ecks appears to be out so Morgan will have to get a go with Russell staying on the right. Califf should be fit so he should slot back into his position.

I think we need some height up front to make our offense a little more powerful. The crosses we lobbed in to a guy who's under 6' just weren't getting the job done at all. Putting Braun up top and Earnshaw behind him will cause the defense to have to mark Braun and hopefully leave Earnshaw a little space to do his thing.

There's no way that either of the rookies get the start on Saturday. Osorio showed why's he's a rookie this past weekend and I'm not sure Bekker's ready yet. Leave Hall in the back and put Silva in to work box to box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Braun hit the cross bar or got called for the a hand (arm) ball no one would have him in the line up for the upcoming game.

Amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------------Frei-------------
    Ogboss---Califf--O'Dea---Morgan
    --------------Hall---------------
    Bostock--Bekker--Silva--Ephraim
    ------------Earnshaw-----------

- PU is as good an opponent as any to bring Frei back, assuming he is healthy.
    - Ogboss played well and should stay on the field, especially if Ecks is hurt
    - Crosses from the left have been crap with Ecks on his off foot. Bring Morgan in hopefully the last 2 games on the bench has made him hungry.
    - Hall/Bekker/Silva will bring energy to the middle of our midfield with both Bekker and Silva capable of making passes onto Earnshaw/Ephraim/Bostock runs.
    - Ephraim plays like a different player when he's on the left.
    - Don't know why everyone loves Braun. Has proven to be nothing more than a marginal player thus far in his MLS career. Decent depth player but do not be disillusioned by one goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't think anyone is disillusioned by Braun alot of us know what he brings. It would be just a good option to have a tall man play up front to help bring down the long balls and feed Earnshaw. Plus the big man in the box during corners/free kicks around the area would bring another type of attack that we don't have right now.

I would like to see him start just to see how having a big man up front will impact our attack. Just a idea to how it will work when Koevs is back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to praise Braun just for getting rid of Maund! Need we say more?! He's our frigging hero!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to echo what some others have said and see Frei start. Bendik looked weak against Dallas - on the first goal in particular, and as some others have said, puts too many clearances out of bounds. He's played fairly well, but haven't seen anything in the last two games to warrant keeping Frei on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#freeStefanFrei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've good feeling for that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Philly a good team this year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    in montreal game, russell subbed in for morgan, but he played RB ... ecks moved over to LB
    You're right, it was RB; remembered him running on the far side of the pitch, but then misremembered the direction we were playing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

refrefs.com/referee/8sw0

Ref looks half decent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Is Philly a good team this year?
    Decent. 2 points above TFC. 2-2-1 record.
    probably the least organized team we've faced so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Decent. 2 points above TFC. 2-2-1 record.
    probably the least organized team we've faced so far.
    Yep. Jekyl and Hyde describes PU pretty well, and their wins have been against New England and Colorado, two of the weaker teams in MLS so far

Some good players like Parke and Okugo on defence. Jack McInerney is a player I like who has pace and is starting to know how to be a poacher in MLS. Conor Casey is old and injury prone, but he seems to like scoring on TFC for fun. LeToux can be a game changer, but hasn't been consistent since returning to Philly.

Philly's weakness is midfield consistency. Only player I really rate is Michael Farfan, but the rest is rather meh. TFC should target Brian Carroll who has experience, but has ability to be even more shocking than Dunfield on his off days which is more frequent than Philly would like. Philly has former Brazilian international Kleberson on loan, and he may feature as a sub for this game. He has the ability to be a game changer.

On whole, I think TFC should at least get a point out of this game, and maybe even a win, if Nelsen gets the midfield line up right. 1-1

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for scouting report on Philly. So this is first average team TFC is going to face this season.