Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few folks are really getting ahead of themselves. Either being more positive than is realistic; or gems like "6 points in six games is not good enough for any league in the world." This is a half-rebuilt team after a completely disastrous couple of years. If you're expecting amazing performances right now, it's really best for you to look away for a while. Still not sure how good Payne & Nelsen really are, but punching above their weight so far compared with reasonable expectations. Yes, 6 points from 6 games for a team that's only half a step above crap, when they've mostly been playing top teams in the league so far -- that's quite good actually!

What would piss me off more than anything, would be unreasonable short-term expectations, leading to helter-skelter overpriced signings to hopefully "win now" -- and much bigger problems in the long run.

However I don't quite agree either with "We're basically Preki plus Robert Earnshaw right now, but pushing higher so we have a chance to counter in their end, which is why Earnshaw gets the odd look." First of all I don't think TFC is quite as defensively successful as under Preki. I don't think it's as strong of a focus at the moment. At times TFC v.2013 is a bit less cautious, throwing numbers forward at least for short stretches, plus still some weaknesses especially in the defensive midfield which make it not quite a Preki team. I think there's also a hint of more offensive talent, and occasional attempts at controlling the ball & the play. As Ephraim mentioned, TFC (& many others in the league) do try to play the ball on the ground when they can. I've seen glimpses of guys like Bostock, Earnshaw, Ephraim, Silva, Osorio, and others showing that they can play ball. We've had stretches where TFC really dominated play, even controlling it in the opponent's half for long periods. The start of the game vs. Philly was like that, and it's not Preki-ball.

I think that's a hint of starting in the right direction -- and I'm hoping for more improvements especially in the defensive midfield (which is also the place to start an attack on the ground if your DMs have the skills).
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-14-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot69 View Post
    good come back!
    It wasn't a come back. I agreed with O'Dea (and you) and thought it was funny.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

However I don't quite agree either with "We're basically Preki plus Robert Earnshaw right now, but pushing higher so we have a chance to counter in their end, which is why Earnshaw gets the odd look." First of all I don't think TFC is quite as defensively successful as under Preki. I don't think it's as strong of a focus at the moment. At times TFC v.2013 is a bit less cautious, throwing numbers forward at least for short stretches, plus still some weaknesses especially in the defensive midfield which make it not quite a Preki team.
    I know this isn't prekiball, because I can watch this team and not completely fall asleep. People are forgetting those many dire 0-0 games we had under Preki (or worse, those even more dire 0-1 games). Sure the team isn't exciting, but for half a team they can't exactly play aggressive football and not get schooled. Nelsen is doing very well with what he has (which is a couple of good pieces, and a load of filler).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I know this isn't prekiball, because I can watch this team and not completely fall asleep. People are forgetting those many dire 0-0 games we had under Preki (or worse, those even more dire 0-1 games). Sure the team isn't exciting, but for half a team they can't exactly play aggressive football and not get schooled. Nelsen is doing very well with what he has (which is a couple of good pieces, and a load of filler).
    The fact that Silva is playing centre mid means he's not Preki.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the John Hackworth postgame presser. He is basically saying in it that TFC used diving as a tactic to come out with a result and he is not surprised because Toronto has been using it against teams all year. I wouldn't say Toronto is a diving team because I would get pretty pissed if our players were playing like that. Just an excuse. He mentioned bad officiating too (without actually saying it) but only that it cost them winning the game. Guess he missed all the calls that were pro-Philly that helped them come away with a point. He also thought crashing the goalie for the called back goal was ok (didn't say exactly that but if you read between the lines). Funny how the view can be so skewed from the other team but I guess that is the way it goes....job preservation I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC players started going to ground early after a while due to the Philly players kicking the crap out of them early in the game! Morgan could have ripped his leg open from that horrible challenge from Cruz! Silva was lucky to still be awake after Williams off the ball wrestling move!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    A few folks are really getting ahead of themselves. Either being more positive than is realistic; or gems like "6 points in six games is not good enough for any league in the world." This is a half-rebuilt team after a completely disastrous couple of years. If you're expecting amazing performances right now, it's really best for you to look away for a while. Still not sure how good Payne & Nelsen really are, but punching above their weight so far compared with reasonable expectations. Yes, 6 points from 6 games for a team that's only half a step above crap, when they've mostly been playing top teams in the league so far -- that's quite good actually!

What would piss me off more than anything, would be unreasonable short-term expectations, leading to helter-skelter overpriced signings to hopefully "win now" -- and much bigger problems in the long run.

However I don't quite agree either with "We're basically Preki plus Robert Earnshaw right now, but pushing higher so we have a chance to counter in their end, which is why Earnshaw gets the odd look." First of all I don't think TFC is quite as defensively successful as under Preki. I don't think it's as strong of a focus at the moment. At times TFC v.2013 is a bit less cautious, throwing numbers forward at least for short stretches, plus still some weaknesses especially in the defensive midfield which make it not quite a Preki team. I think there's also a hint of more offensive talent, and occasional attempts at controlling the ball & the play. As Ephraim mentioned, TFC (& many others in the league) do try to play the ball on the ground when they can. I've seen glimpses of guys like Bostock, Earnshaw, Ephraim, Silva, Osorio, and others showing that they can play ball. We've had stretches where TFC really dominated play, even controlling it in the opponent's half for long periods. The start of the game vs. Philly was like that, and it's not Preki-ball.

I think that's a hint of starting in the right direction -- and I'm hoping for more improvements especially in the defensive midfield (which is also the place to start an attack on the ground if your DMs have the skills).
    I like the direction, play has been simple. They have played the style I had hoped they would play in year one, they are playing it well, they can score on the counter, BUT they continue to be victims of silly school yard defensive fuck ups, and it should not be. This excuse that it is a rebuilding year, has been used 7 years in a row. In the MLS you do not need a couple of years to rebuild and win, more then we are doing. As I say every year about this time, it is too early to blow things up, but I would hope that within the next five games the team starts delivering results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fucking hate the Casey weres a 6 shirt, that is a fucking classic Sweeper/CB/CDM number not a fucking CF, I get that it is a upside down 9. I would like to see him land upside down on his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just watched the John Hackworth postgame presser. He is basically saying in it that TFC used diving as a tactic to come out with a result and he is not surprised because Toronto has been using it against teams all year. I wouldn't say Toronto is a diving team because I would get pretty pissed if our players were playing like that. Just an excuse. He mentioned bad officiating too (without actually saying it) but only that it cost them winning the game. Guess he missed all the calls that were pro-Philly that helped them come away with a point. He also thought crashing the goalie for the called back goal was ok (didn't say exactly that but if you read between the lines). Funny how the view can be so skewed from the other team but I guess that is the way it goes....job preservation I guess.
    diving tactic? that's montreal, maybe he thinks we are all the same, cause we're both Canadian teams, maybe he thinks we live in igloos too. This idoit should just find the positives to say instead of trying to blame TFC for the tie. He should be thanking the ref now for not giving Cruz and Casey a red.
    Last edited by khso11; 04-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I fucking hate the Casey weres a 6 shirt, that is a fucking classic Sweeper/CB/CDM number not a fucking CF, I get that it is a upside down 9. I would like to see him land upside down on his head.
    Casey would be 400 pounds if he wasn't playing soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    It wasn't a come back. I agreed with O'Dea (and you) and thought it was funny.

Sorry for misunderstanding, I thought you were having a go. You seem to be 1 of the few who agree that TFC get/don't get the calls we deserve. I guess a lot of supporters just accept it. very sad

Cheers

sp69

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    diving tactic? that's montreal, maybe he thinks we are all the same, cause we're both Canadian teams, maybe he thinks we live in igloos too. This faggot should just find the positives to say instead of trying to blame TFC for the tie. He should be thanking the ref now for not giving Cruz and Casey a red.
    gay slur. not cool
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    gay slur. not cool
    Can we PLEASE adopt the South Park usage of 'fag'

Urban Dictionary has Harley Riders/Obnoxious Fucks as the number one definition and really, UD is about the best dictionary for slang there is...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fag

I was in the middle of nowhere in Arizona (A VERY right wing state) and 'Chic Filet' came up and burly ass 60 year old truckers started saying 'those people are stupid, who gives a crap who anyone sleeps with' along with the waitress and others in the Denny's.

Nobody cares anymore.

I do however fucking hate harleys.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

diving tactic? that's montreal, maybe he thinks we are all the same, cause we're both Canadian teams, maybe he thinks we live in igloos too. This faggot should just find the positives to say instead of trying to blame TFC for the tie. He should be thanking the ref now for not giving Cruz and Casey a red.
    Please refrain from use of that term. Gay slurs are not acceptable to use on this forum.

Thank you.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    That is totally the number one reason I hate him too...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post

Urban Dictionary has Harley Riders/Obnoxious Fucks as the number one definition and really, UD is about the best dictionary for slang there is...

I was in the middle of nowhere in Arizona (A VERY right wing state) and 'Chic Filet' came up and burly ass 60 year old truckers started saying 'those people are stupid, who gives a crap who anyone sleeps with' along with the waitress and others in the Denny's.

Nobody cares anymore.

Sorry - that's wrong in so may different ways (except the part about harleys). The term is offensive - not really sure how it could be argued to the contrary. Don't want to derail the thread, but I don't think that type of slur has any place on these boards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is totally the number one reason I hate him too...

Yeah, I am big on numbers being assoicated with the position you play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    We were time wasting a bit too much for my liking, but in my opinion he really can't complain because Williams diving on Morgan's header to get him sent off probably got them the draw.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Williams vehement whining about having to go off the pitch after that foul kinda points to a dive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    TFC players started going to ground early after a while due to the Philly players kicking the crap out of them early in the game! Morgan could have ripped his leg open from that horrible challenge from Cruz! Silva was lucky to still be awake after Williams off the ball wrestling move!
    Well exactly, in the end each team is going to do whatever they can to get an edge. No point in waxing poetic about "this team dives, that team plays dirty". That's just rose coloured glasses stuff.

Everyone's looking for an edge. I assume hackworth knows this and he's just trying to get ahead by putting pressure on an easily overwhelmed officiating crew. Game of inches and slight judgements, maybe he gets something extra of that same group next time, without them even consciously thinking about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw Philly and their fans. I hope when they come up here, we chant "Canada, Canada". As for the game, I am happy we got a point. Well done boys! Now it's time to win some games starting this Saturday against Houston.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Let's skip the "Canada" chants please when Philly or anyone else comes to visit. As I posted on the PU Facebook page, it's ridiculous. Saturday we had 8 US Americans playing for TFC, and 2 Canadians -- with one of the two only playing 17 minutes. Let's not stoop to that level -- and frankly it's not going to do anything to motivate the majority of TFC players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Last time I checked, this was Canada, here we speak Canadian. I have nothing against nationalist chants, although Canada-Canada at a tfc game is a bit lame. But chants about healthcare and our economy are good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY APOLOGIES FOR MY USE INAPPROPRIATE WORDING, I WAS OUT OF MY HEAD, SORRY . I DEFINITLY DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE ELSE OTHER THAN JOHN HACKWORTH, AGAIN APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE THAT WAS OFFENDED BY MY COMMENT, PLEASE FORGIVE ME.
    Last edited by khso11; 04-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY APOLOGIES FOR MY USE INAPPROPRIATE WORDING, I WAS OUT OF MY HEAD, SORRY . I DEFINITLY DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE ELSE OTHER THAN JOHN HACKWORTH, AGAIN APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE THAT WAS OFFENDED BY MY COMMENT, PLEASE FORGIVE ME.
    dont sweat it....

when refs loose control of games it allways becomes a shit show. ie dives and cheap shots. philly should be happy
    that they got the
    point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't believe it but Simon Borg actually managed to get both Morgan's sending off and McInerney's disallowed goal right in his weekly roundup. A broken clock is right twice a day, as they say. @ 1:30

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Can't believe it but Simon Borg actually managed to get both Morgan's sending off and McInerney's disallowed goal right in his weekly roundup. A broken clock is right twice a day, as they say. @ 1:30

omg, Simon Borg not being bias against TFC, thats a first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody cares anymore.

Why don't we ask a few gay RPBs? We have several who are openly so. I rather suspect that like the 'n' word with African Americans, they'd really rather you didn't.

I love South Park, but sometimes they're socially facile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Why don't we ask a few gay RPBs? We have several who are openly so. I rather suspect that like the 'n' word with African Americans, they'd really rather you didn't.

I love South Park, but sometimes they're socially facile.
    Fair enough.
    WE DID IT!