Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default April 6, 2013 6:45pm...Toronto FC Reserves vs FC Dallas Reserves (result)

Result of the MLS Reserves League game of Saturday
    April 6th, 2013 between Toronto FC Reserves and
    FC Dallas Reserves played at BMO Field in Toronto
    at 7:00pm (although the game started at 6:45pm).

46 min (1st half injury time)...TFCR Mark Anthony Kaye GOAL
    ...TFCR Ryan Richter rolls ball from 30 yards on right through
    crowd of players and Kaye slides to get away 12 yard roller before
    sliding defender can get to it up middle and beyond diving
    goalie Chris Seitz to the left post.

65 min...FCDR RED card...London Woodbury is sent off directly
    by referee Justin Tasev after a tackle on TFCR #35 at DFCR 40
    yards on rush up right side.

84 min...TFCR Ashton Bennett GOAL...TFCR Andrew Wiedeman passes
    from 22 yards on right across box and Bennett finds clear space
    around defender and bends inswinging 18 yarder into right corner
    of net behind flying goalie.

Final Score:.....Toronto FC Reserves.....2.....FC Dallas
    Reserves.....0......

Attendance started off at about 30 and finished with about
    half that as the weather continued to get colder and windier
    to about 4 Celsius. This game was played within 45 minutes
    of the main MLS game ending. (Attendance at that game was
    declining since before Dallas scored their second goal and
    those people missed TFC's two goal comeback for a tie).

Formation as I saw it for the Reserves game was:

TFCR
    ...............24 Stefan Frei (captain)
    33 Ryan Richter...4 Doneil Henry...2 Logan Emory...5 Ashtone Morgan
    35 ?????????...8 Kyle Bekker...17 Justin Braun...9 Emery Welshman
    ......28 Taylor Morgan...32 Andrew Wiedeman

At 19 minutes Mark Anthony Kaye replaced Emery Welshman (who had
    not played in the main game). Welshman must have been injured
    as Kaye came in about two minutes after Welshman had to leave.
    Kaye is from the TFC Senior Academy team (thanks to one of the
    few fans for supplying me with that info).

The start of the second half had TFCR Logan Emory hurt in the
    ankle kicking a ball at the same time as an FCDR player and
    was upset that it took so long to stop play. Two minutes later
    TFCR Kaye and FCDR #37 were both hurt in each other's sliding
    tackles as they crashed together. All players ended up
    continueing the game.

Both teams defenders coverered well; clearing dangers when the ball
    came into the box. Stefan Frei had only one great save to make
    at 80 minutes when FCDR Bradlee Baladez blasted a low 12 yard shot
    from the left that he dived and pushed the ball over the bar.

Ashton Bennett came in at 55 minutes replacing Kaye. While he did
    score at 84 minutes, he fired shots from about the same distance
    both before and after the goal well off target.

Rocket Robin
    robing@eol.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the recap RR

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much appreciated recap. Good to see the depth players getting some minutes. We need more reserve league games!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Much appreciated recap. Good to see the depth players getting some minutes. We need more reserve league games!
    Yes, huge thanks for this, Rocket Robin! And yes, more reserve games!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on thanks, wife would not be impressed if I stayed as I am just recovering from a still unknown virus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stayed for the first half and it was getting just a little too cold for my liking especially with the wind. Reserve League is one sport's little gems as you can truly hear all the banter and dialogue between the players, which makes it very interesting. The Reds next home reserve game is on April 27th vs. New York after the first team if anyone is interested.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC reserve league recap on TFC website:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/04...rve-league-win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not play reserve league games before the main game, I'm more likely to turn up 2 hours earlier than hang around 2 hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyCanuck View Post
    Why not play reserve league games before the main game, I'm more likely to turn up 2 hours earlier than hang around 2 hours?
    You can play your late subs in the reserve game to get them some game time. There's a rule as to how much they can play in a given day. If you play before, you would limit your bench.

the reserve match is more for the payers then the fans, anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    You can play your late subs in the reserve game to get them some game time. There's a rule as to how much they can play in a given day. If you play before, you would limit your bench.

the reserve match is more for the payers then the fans, anyways
    So its not one or the other you can play in both games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So its not one or the other you can play in both games?
    you can play in both but your total minutes is limited. Just say Morgan played 45 minutes in the reserve match before the game, and Russell/eskersley blow a tire 5 minutes into the actual game, you can only play Morgan 45 minutes again. And then you are forced to sub him off.

Lets say you instead play it safe and don't play Morgan in the reserve to maximize the amount of time he might play in the actual game. But what if he doesn't get subbed in and now plays no minutes at all?

Having the game afterwards makes the most sense.

All players appearing on an MLS club’s roster may represent their team in MLS Reserve League play; however, no player may play more than 120 minutes in a reserve team match and any preceding matches that occur within a sixty hour period. Further, no player may play more than a combined total of 90 minutes in a Reserve Team Match and any preceding matches that occurred within 36 hours prior to such reserve team match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another weird MLS Ruling? I've never heard of this before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another weird MLS Ruling? I've never heard of this before.
    Weird? How so? Do you mean in terms of limiting the number of minutes a player can play in a back-to-back games? It's probably a deal with the player's association. Is it necessary? Probably not as a coach would have to be a total idiot to damage a player by over-playing him in such a situation but then again, you have guys like Preki and Peter Novak who are certifiable. Gawd knows what those idiots would do to a player as "punishment".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean in most leagues if the reserve games and the First team game are on the same day you play one or the other. I can understand if the reserve game was played on Wednesday on the first team played on the saturday, but i've just never heard of this sort of ruling before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, I think it's a good compromise. You still get to play 90 minutes and your bench gets a chance to get on the field. I only wish there was more games. I wanted to stick around, but it was too cold. I try to watch the first half normally, allows me to see the other 11 and let traffic pewter out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    I like it, I think it's a good compromise. You still get to play 90 minutes and your bench gets a chance to get on the field. I only wish there was more games. I wanted to stick around, but it was too cold. I try to watch the first half normally, allows me to see the other 11 and let traffic pewter out.
    Yeah fair enough, like I said I only found weird because its something i've never seen or heard of before. I wanted to stay and watch it to, I love watching reserve and youth sides play but I could not bare the cold any longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean in most leagues if the reserve games and the First team game are on the same day you play one or the other. I can understand if the reserve game was played on Wednesday on the first team played on the saturday, but i've just never heard of this sort of ruling before.
    most leauges, you have enough players to be able to do that; with a maximum squad size of 30, it is not so possible when you consider TFC is only carrying 24 outfield players (note im not counting keepers), which 16 would be dressed for the first team meaning you'd only 8 for 10 positions on the field; compound that with 3 or 4 injuries and you are really short stacked for the reserves; the current way allows up to 13 out field players to be available for 10 outfield positions.
    Last edited by prizby; 04-07-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    most leauges, you have enough players to be able to do that; with a maximum squad size of 30, it is not so possible when you consider TFC is only carrying 24 outfield players (note im not counting keepers), which 16 would be dressed for the first team meaning you'd only 8 for 10 positions on the field; compound that with 3 or 4 injuries and you are really short stacked for the reserves; the current way allows up to 13 out field players to be available for 10 outfield positions.
    I was going off my home team as well, the A-League only has a squad size of 23. and only fifteen in the match day squad, but doesn't TFC have an academy that they can call players from if need be? Surely if you have a young prospect in the U17-U18 age and you want to expose them to a better level you'd bring them into the reserve side and then if they do well move onto the First XI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going off my home team as well, the A-League only has a squad size of 23. and only fifteen in the match day squad, but doesn't TFC have an academy that they can call players from if need be? Surely if you have a young prospect in the U17-U18 age and you want to expose them to a better level you'd bring them into the reserve side and then if they do well move onto the First XI?
    yes they do; but if you are routinely a player in the 18 that doesn't come off the bench (ie. Andrew Weideman), you'd think he'd prefer to be playing 90 minutes rather than watching from the bench again if given the choice.

Most of the best u17 players (right now) are with Canada. Also, it helps if you are playing the same type of system as the academy; which is hard to say now. Lastly, once the academy season gets going, most academy games conflict with the first team/reserve league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    yes they do; but if you are routinely a player in the 18 that doesn't come off the bench (ie. Andrew Weideman), you'd think he'd prefer to be playing 90 minutes rather than watching from the bench again if given the choice.

Most of the best u17 players (right now) are with Canada. Also, it helps if you are playing the same type of system as the academy; which is hard to say now. Lastly, once the academy season gets going, most academy games conflict with the first team/reserve league.
    Of course he'd rather be playing, so the 16 sixteen players that are on in the First XI match day are taken from whole squad of 28, is the reserve squad then picked from the remaining players or are they a different squad all together?

I'm just trying to get my head around the difference between leagues. Excuse the dumb questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course he'd rather be playing, so the 16 sixteen players that are on in the First XI match day are taken from whole squad of 28, is the reserve squad then picked from the remaining players or are they a different squad all together?

I'm just trying to get my head around the difference between leagues. Excuse the dumb questions.
    Same squad although TFC can bring in guest players which is something they've done in the past.

Note that the reserves aren't picked from the unused players. As mentioned above, players who did play in the A-Team fixture can play in the reserve match as long as they don't play more than a total of 90 minutes.

I saw a reserves match last year that featured Ecks and Koevs after both had seen action in the A-fixture with Koevs scoring I believe. Neither looked pleased to be out there but it was Aron Winter's call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, makes sense now. Are all reserve league matches played after TFC home games? Sorry for all the dumb questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these games free? I would have to stay, but the weather was too cold and windy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Are these games free? I would have to stay, but the weather was too cold and windy.
    Yes they are free, next reserve home game is against New York following the first team's game on April 27.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yes they are free, next reserve home game is against New York following the first team's game on April 27.
    Oh good. Can I leave the stadium and come back to watch the game? Also, how does the seating work? I can sit anywhere in the stadium or do I have to sit same seats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh good. Can I leave the stadium and come back to watch the game? Also, how does the seating work? I can sit anywhere in the stadium or do I have to sit same seats?
    Yes, you can leave and come back. They seat us on the east side in the centre sections. There are usually only a couple of hundred spectators (at best) so there's no point in not grouping us all together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Yes, you can leave and come back. They seat us on the east side in the centre sections. There are usually only a couple of hundred spectators (at best) so there's no point in not grouping us all together.
    Thanks. Hopefully the weather will be better next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Hopefully the weather will be better next game.
    I hope so. I'd planned to stay but it was just too damned cold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned the main reason to have the reserve game after the 1st team is man management. Guys that are close to 1st-team quality, you don't know until after the 1st team is over if they came off the bench & how much game time they got. Those are the first guys you want to take care of, in terms of getting enough playing time but not too much. You round out the reserve team with pure 2nd-stringers, academy kids, and whoever else.

The other reason is that you want the pitch in the best condition for the 1st team. The current grass was laid new last fall. They're still babying it along to get it to fully root and grow strong. (When you look closely, there are already lots of divots missing. Plus there can be all kinds of weather conditions, torrential rains, snow, etc that put wear & tear on the field. They give it a fresh cut before the 1st-team game, and they want it in the best shape possible then.

Last year the reserves didn't always play after the 1st team. Didn't they also play a few reserve games at Downsview? I'm not sure of the full schedule, and I hope to catch a few of the reserve games this year. Yesterday no chance, my daughter was already frozen solid after the first game.