Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regrading the draft: still happy?

The day after the draft, I had that nagging feeling that my initial excitement might be badly placed. For one, my two favorite players in the draft, Manneh and Hurtado, both went to Vancouver. For another, despite his combo showing, it's very hard for college players to slot in immediately as two-way midfielders. Role players have an easier time for obvious reasons.

Now, knowing what we know about how other players are doing, is everyone still happy with the picks? Or should we have taken players more immediately likely to contribute? I get the sense that maybe our priorities were a little year-one'ish in taking two Canadians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to say until they get consistent playing time and some years under them. Alot of picks don't make an immediate impact outside of the top 1-3 picks. And usually that's because there getting better talent then they had the year before.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's really hard to say anything yet. Bekker & Welshman both looked OK but not great in pre-season & in the limited time they've seen in league games.

I don't know if we will ever be able to really judge anyway, because a big part of the draft was also the allocation received. Sure Payne said these were the two players he wanted -- but part of that calculation was surely: US MLS teams won't be as interested in these Cdn players due to their international status, while Vancouver & Montreal also don't seem very keen on Canadians. So he could get some allocation cash and still get some decent players.

If that allocation helped us get Earnshaw, and he continues to do well -- how do you judge that? Plus, the allocation went into a pot used for a variety of purposes. If some of the other loans/signings were helped by the allocation, and some of those players do well, and others not so well -- how do you judge that in totality? Finally, how much allocation $ was it really? We've heard various rumours.

Both Bekker & Welshman look like mid- to long-term prospects. Who knows? Add Taylor Morgan & Ashton Bennett via the supplemental draft -- probably decent cover up-front for minimal $ & on short-term deals.

With the general huge turnover at TFC this year, it really makes it hard to evaluate a couple of draft picks in isolation. It's not like two guys were added to a stable setup and you can see how they add to or subtract from the team. Everything is in flux; a bunch of the new guys are on short-term deals; other players still coming in May and the summer. I just don't know! With all that, getting two decent prospects who at least want to be here, plus allo cash -- probably wasn't an awful deal; who knows if it will be a good deal.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on what the allocation added to the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with prizby. We shall wait and see what we get with this mystical allocation money.

I still think Bekker is going to end up being a good signing. Being away with the CMT and injured a game hasn't helped so far though, but you have to look past the first 4 games of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. The primary focus was always the allocation and the signings in the summer window will show the effects of that. Bekker looks to have a lot potential, he can definitely be a starter in this league. Don't forget he was rated as one of the top players in the draft even by the American media, TFC did not reach to get him. Welshman is cheap depth, and I'd rather have Canadians in that role. We shouldn't expect much from him this season.

In any case you should be asking this question at the end of the season. 4 games is too early to judge anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    In any case you should be asking this question at the end of the season. 4 games is too early to judge anything.
    Or asking the question after 3 seasons or so. It's waaaaaay too early to tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo_80 View Post
    Or asking the question after 3 seasons or so. It's waaaaaay too early to tell.
    This is what I was coming in here to say; I think, initially, it was said to be four or so years before you could really judge how well you've done in the draft.

Definitely too early and I tend to agree with everything Auzzy has posted, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Now, knowing what we know about how other players are doing, is everyone still happy with the picks? Or should we have taken players more immediately likely to contribute? I get the sense that maybe our priorities were a little year-one'ish in taking two Canadians.
    Hopefully no one gets bent out of shape with this one but that last part Jeremy IMO is spot on. I don't think 100%, but I do think these picks were a little PRish. I don't think Vancouver would have picked Bekker, but I also think Payne & co. probably didn't see anyone in this draft class that was head and shoulders above the rest, so drafting some hometown boys was the best way to get off on the right foot heading up their new club.

I think it is questionable who would have been ready to contribute right away. As you noted role players do the best job and I don't think Team Payne are looking to build the team around a draft pick, or compromise the set up for the skill set of one player.

To answer the question though, I'm not expecting them to come in and make an impact this season anyway so anything positive from Bekker et al. this year is gravy IMO. So right now they haven't done much so I can't say happy, but not disappointed - like others have said this will be a good post to follow up on mid and end of season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty early still, but I think Osorio was our signing of the off-season. Again, haven't had a lot of chance to see him, but what I've seen he reads the game better than most players I've watched. I think he's the real backbone long-term. I just haven't seen a lot of Bekker that looks promising. But again it's early.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's pretty early still, but I think Osorio was our signing of the off-season. Again, haven't had a lot of chance to see him, but what I've seen he reads the game better than most players I've watched. I think he's the real backbone long-term. I just haven't seen a lot of Bekker that looks promising. But again it's early.
    As far as this season is concerned, I'd say Earnshaw is more likely the signing of the off-season.. but, for the long term, I think I agree that all signs point to Osorio being that dude. I was very surprised to see how fluidly he worked his way into the box, to get on the end of that Silva cross; certainly reads the game well.

Have to agree on Bekker, after getting a few looks at him in-game. I'm hoping it's just nerves and, perhaps, working through all the hype of his signing; fingers crossed that he comes out of his shell and flourishes, because, at the moment, he's shown enough to make me think he really COULD be huge for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most draft picks get phased in. I think they don't usually start getting legit time until halfway through the season. If you look at last year's draft, the first overall pick still doesn't start games. Bekker and Welshman are long term players. I wouldn't worry too much about their lack of PT in the first four games.

Our biggest problem is DM, and I don't think there's anyone we could have drafted that would have been an immediate solution there. But in the long term Bekker can be molded into a DM, or a deep lying play-maker who can block off passing lanes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Most draft picks get phased in. I think they don't usually start getting legit time until halfway through the season. If you look at last year's draft, the first overall pick still doesn't start games. Bekker and Welshman are long term players. I wouldn't worry too much about their lack of PT in the first four games.

Our biggest problem is DM, and I don't think there's anyone we could have drafted that would have been an immediate solution there. But in the long term Bekker can be molded into a DM, or a deep lying play-maker who can block off passing lanes
    It does not help that Bekker seems to be a bit overrawed in a professional environment right now. I'm no psychologist, but Bekker seemed to feel the pressure and it's dragging his game down. Then again, before TFC signed a bunch of TFC rejects, Bekker was expected to be the main playmaker for TFC and that's a lot of pressure for a rookie. He needs to build his confidence back up, because he clearly has the technical ability to be at least a borderline starter/depth in MLS.

Maybe Bekker can be that sort of cerebral DM who can destroy opposition attacks through guile and positioning, because he can read the game offensively. But reading the game defensively is different, and Bekker himself said his defensive game needs to improve. He is 22, so he still has a bit of time, and may just be experience that he needs.

But in order to get experience, he needs game time. And I can't see him breaking into starting lineup barring slew of injuries. This year's draft is supposedly thin on talent, but it's amazing what game time does for a player. A lot of it is forced due to injuries and int call ups and what not, but you really can't tell how good a player is until you give him about 3 games in a competitive game IMO.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    It does not help that Bekker seems to be a bit overrawed in a professional environment right now. I'm no psychologist, but Bekker seemed to feel the pressure and it's dragging his game down. Then again, before TFC signed a bunch of TFC rejects, Bekker was expected to be the main playmaker for TFC and that's a lot of pressure for a rookie. He needs to build his confidence back up, because he clearly has the technical ability to be at least a borderline starter/depth in MLS.
    I'm not sure where you see this. Are you basing it off of his 2 sub appearances? He was decent against Vancouver and for Canada earlier this year.

Maybe Bekker can be that sort of cerebral DM who can destroy opposition attacks through guile and positioning, because he can read the game offensively.
    This is the only position I see Bekker excelling in MLS. Someone like Gundogan or Modric who aren't really known for the defensive capabilities either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'm not sure where you see this. Are you basing it off of his 2 sub appearances? He was decent against Vancouver and for Canada earlier this year.
    I personally thought his performances for Canada except US game were poor. He doesn't seem to have the same confidence that Osorio has on the ball, and timid. Not imposing himself in the game like he should.

This is the only position I see Bekker excelling in MLS. Someone like Gundogan or Modric who aren't really known for the defensive capabilities either.
    Modric is exactly what I envision Bekker playing like.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Earnshaw signing, and his performance, definitely makes the trade of RJ for the number 3 pick look smart.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”