Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I thought he wasn't good last game, Luis Silva picked up an assist on Russell's goal, making it 2 games in a row
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Although I thought he wasn't good last game, Luis Silva picked up an assist on Russell's goal, making it 2 games in a row
    Im confused, unless Im a crazy person Justin Braun crossed the ball over for Russell to hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off-----------------bendix(6)
    Russell(6)---Odea(7)---Gabby(6)---Eckersley(6)
    Lambe(3)---Hall(4)---Osario(4)---Bostock(3)
    ephraim(4)---Earnshaw(5)
    subs Braun(7)---Silva(6)---morgan(5)
    Bostock can not tackle,head ball or create any meaningful attack
    .Lambe should be out of here sooner than later.
    Hall can not pass a ball 5yds with any accuracy.
    Great fighting spirit to tie the game,the game changer was Braun.
    In this league you have to have a 6ft 6in bulldozer up front .
    Nice redemption for Russell.
    This felt more like a win as oppossed to last weeks felt like aloss.
    Gabby and Odea looked just as solid as Califf and Odea.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ephraim looked dangerous on the wing earlier this season. He has faded since he was moved into the hole.

I think Nelsen should keep Lambe on the bench and put Ephraim and Bostock on the wings with Silva in the hole. It will probably foster more creativity in the attacking third of the pitch.
    It was Ephraim who made the cross on Braun's goal, I believe, and he made a couple of nice moves in the second half. He's not a big guy, however, and when the opposition doesn't have to worry about creativity in the centre and can isolate Earnshaw (also not a large man) they can keep our wingers under check.

Each part of the team has to support the others, and unfortunately we're still a work in progress. Toronto has rarely had all the areas of the field working together. As a result, we've tended to get rid of players who have appeared ineffective, only to have them rise to the top when they go to a team that has a more complete (and supportive) array of talent. I'm not going to give up on Ephraim or Bostock yet. Once we fill the holes in midfield and get some support for Earnshaw up front (cough 'Koovs' cough), I think we'll se the wings be more effective as well.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From previous TFC games I have seen on tv, Nelsen is doing a great job getting the best out of a good not excellent bunch of players. Bostock is a quality player is just seemed to have an off game yesterday. Your goal keeper was in no mans land for the first goal and didn't even get close to getting a fist on it.

How does Perez who is surrounded by two TFC players No.6 and No.16 get behind them. He should never have been given so much space as quiet clearly he is one of Dallas' best players. I also think the Goal keeper isn't overly confident commanding his box.

Refereeing performance was horrible, I thought we had bad referee's in Australia but that was some of the worst i've ever seen. Nelsen will be happy to have a point from that game after being down two with five minutes to go, was a point gained not two points lost.

Apart from it being freeeeeeezzzziiing. Oh my god was I cold I had fun and will probably attend more games in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simple View Post
    Im confused, unless Im a crazy person Justin Braun crossed the ball over for Russell to hit.
    Yeah, MLS stats guy got it wrong. Silva was in the box already on that play. It was Braun who crossed it, giving him a goal and an assist off the bench.

I'll be making more hat-eating comments when down a goal in the future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Yeah, MLS stats guy got it wrong. Silva was in the box already on that play. It was Braun who crossed it, giving him a goal and an assist off the bench.

I'll be making more hat-eating comments when down a goal in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock equals - got talant, but cost us two goals last game. Next game - no start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WHOLE thing with Bostock not playing for the first team with Tottenham is that he wasn't consistent.

I will take a 50/50 Bostock over any other midfielder we have. IMHO When he is on he is a top 10 player in mls so I don't mind trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was one of the early leavers, I normally don't drive to games and detest being stuck on Liberty for half an hour so yes I bailed. Glad we got the tie (wish I'd seen our goals) but honestly we were dreadful, I think Nelsen is getting a bit of a free ride because he really should've gone two up front way way earlier. Ephraim cannot play in the hole, he's way too lightweight, Lambe and Hall have to sit they were both awful yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas will be kicking themselves for their tactics. They dropped deep for the last 20 minutes thinking they'd see out another win easily. They've not been scored on very much, so why not think you can do that. They invited that pressure at the end and TFC made them pay.

I thought Ecks had a good game, and I'm usually pretty negative about him. The difference for me is he made very few runs with the ball. He's not good going forward (despite what people seem to think about him). Cutting that out really improves his game - looks like Nelsen spoke to him about it. He's also not a great crosser on either foot, but clearly has no left foot. If he gets it out his mind that he's a wing back and plays more defensively with the odd support to the offense, he'd improve a lot.

I agree with T-Boy that Hall is a better midfielder than Dunfield, although it would be nice to not need either in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again Nelsen's subs made a positive impact on the game. I like that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Dallas will be kicking themselves for their tactics. They dropped deep for the last 20 minutes thinking they'd see out another win easily. They've not been scored on very much, so why not think you can do that. They invited that pressure at the end and TFC made them pay.

I thought Ecks had a good game, and I'm usually pretty negative about him. The difference for me is he made very few runs with the ball. He's not good going forward (despite what people seem to think about him). Cutting that out really improves his game - looks like Nelsen spoke to him about it. He's also not a great crosser on either foot, but clearly has no left foot. If he gets it out his mind that he's a wing back and plays more defensively with the odd support to the offense, he'd improve a lot.

I agree with T-Boy that Hall is a better midfielder than Dunfield, although it would be nice to not need either in there.
    I'd be happy with Hall if at least half his passes weren't to the opposition....but he is giving his all
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the game again a second time and Odea and Ecks played great. Did everything you could possibly ask of them and deserved an 8 or better rating. Boss was very solid and deserved a 7. Russell seems very talented but his mistakes seem to be a lack of concentration or effort. If he got his shit together for 90 minutes every week I think he could actually be really good.
    Despite my frustration with him I'm willing to give him time to prove himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Once again Nelsen's subs made a positive impact on the game. I like that.
    We have never had a coach who made intelligent subs. Nelson, with no coaching papers, nor experience whatsoever, has made better subs in his first 5 games than we've seen in total from the collection of clowns we've had parade through here since the start of this franchise. Last week he attempted to sub out Russell a minite before the tying goal and for no reason the ref wouldn't allow it. We should have won that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ... Oh and Bostock is good, but sometimes he NEEDS to know when to pass earlier when we've got guys in great positions. I'm worried about his attitude.

Yes Russell again had some major problems. However, take a look at the first goal. They have to know Russell is a bit weak, how can you let him try to handle two guys alone at the back post? (Kind of like the LA goal, where Russell was sandwiched alone between two LA players & ended up heading it back in front.) Nelsen or O'Dea need to organize that better, see that Russell gets more support especially on set pieces. There were a couple of other times where Russell looked really overmatched on his side, not enough support.

Great fight at the end, really happy with that part of the game!
    I believe the defensive support for Russell that you are calling for should be coming from the wing, and that would be Bostock ... the first Dallas goal was on Bostock, he stopped marking his man when then ball came into the box, just let him go, and that's why it looked like Russell was left to handle two guys at the back post. Stay with your man til we win the ball or someone takes over. Bostock could have prevented the goal, or at least made it difficult for Jacobsen, if he just followed through ... and not for the first time Bostock has done this, been a few examples of it in past games. Second Dallas goal was on Bostock also, another example of him giving up ... Bostock's giveaway at mid field was horrible. Again he just stopped, pulled up when the defender stepped in. He had a poor long touch (after a nice nutmeg), but he gift wrapped it for Dallas, he didn't even make the guy work for the tackle and steal. Don't stop running! Push through it man! And then even after giving up on the ball, he threw his hands down like he was pouting. I threw my hands up in disbelief. Recover man! Get that feckin ball back! ... not even a thought to making a recovery run. And you are right, he should have moved the ball sooner, he had options.

According to game stats, we had 21 open play crosses in the game, and Bostock contributed very little to that, if any, from the wing (not that anyone else is making great crosses yet). For Bostock, the talent is there, that's obvious, with great foot skills - but he's not putting it all together, seems to lack desire. You worry about his attitude, maybe something there. I question his heart at this point, he seems like a weak link when the rest of the team is generally going full and hard. Maybe some sports psychology magic from Nelsen and O'Leary can improve this.

Again, overall lack of creativity in the game, but there were some signs of life. I thought Silva and Ephraim worked well together. Earnshaw looked very frustrated a few times when he was in great positions in front of goal and his team mates chose poor options instead of him. Would've been nice for O'Dea to score on that little heel flick in late stages, but love that he was getting in the attack as he did. And helluva golazo from Russel (assist was Braun).

I'm very happy with Nel's subs. Great heart and character shown by the 11 guys on to finish the game. Nice to see a late game surge go our way.

Support in bottom of 111, and all of 112, was good. No quit there either. And a shout out to top of 110, for sure.

Edit: checking Bostock stats - he had 1 successful cross, and 4 unsuccessful.
    Last edited by lobo; 04-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if the second goal by Dallas was offside. I have not seen a reply that is at the right angle. My guess is that he was on side and Gale fell asleep at the wheel by not pushing up quick enough to put him offside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading through the thread - most people seem to be in agreement: Ephraim is better on the wing, Bostock possibly better in the middle as the AM. I would like to see that next week. Bostock needs to be involved more as a playmaker, and he will be better in the middle. Ephraim has hustle on the wing, but he's too small to be the AM in the centre.

I also thought Silva was decent as a "deep playing playmaker" yesterday - like Lampard this season for Chelsea, or how Gerrard often plays for Liverpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Just watched the game again a second time and Odea and Ecks played great. Did everything you could possibly ask of them and deserved an 8 or better rating. Boss was very solid and deserved a 7. Russell seems very talented but his mistakes seem to be a lack of concentration or effort. If he got his shit together for 90 minutes every week I think he could actually be really good.
    Despite my frustration with him I'm willing to give him time to prove himself.
    I mentioned in a previous post....Russell has been coverted from an attacking midfielder to right back. He has never played that position and even in the post game interview he mentioned that he is still getting used to the positioning. He was billed as a versatile player when signed. I guess Nelsen believes his experience makes him capable in converting into a right back. I think he had a decent game....hopefully he can convert because he is an experienced player. It is very difficult to convert into a new position after playing your whole career in midfield.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the game again, I wonder if Bostock would suit the 7 man in a 4-1-3-2 setup?

I really think we played well, we just barely had any chances.

I have to wonder what Nelsen has them doing that at 90 minutes they still seem to have legs when the competition is lagging and slow. Maybe he let them in on the secret that games are won & lost in the last 10 minutes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Watched the game again, I wonder if Bostock would suit the 7 man in a 4-1-3-2 setup?

I really think we played well, we just barely had any chances.

I have to wonder what Nelsen has them doing that at 90 minutes they still seem to have legs when the competition is lagging and slow. Maybe he let them in on the secret that games are won & lost in the last 10 minutes?
    You have to also remember that Dallas sat deep for the last 20 minutes, and even since their second goal. They invited us to attack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    You have to also remember that Dallas sat deep for the last 20 minutes, and even since their second goal. They invited us to attack.
    You're right, it was almost like watching TFC 2013 play against TFC 2012!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mak View Post
    I mentioned in a previous post....Russell has been converted from an attacking midfielder to right back. He has never played that position and even in the post game interview he mentioned that he is still getting used to the positioning. He was billed as a versatile player when signed. I guess Nelsen believes his experience makes him capable in converting into a right back. I think he had a decent game....hopefully he can convert because he is an experienced player. It is very difficult to convert into a new position after playing your whole career in midfield.
    Scoring a goal tends to blind people and can change an entire outlook.

Up until the 89th minute, he was much the same as previous weeks. There were 2 points yesterday where he stopped playing because he thought the ball went out of play. He stopped playing. Period. Put up his arm, and waited for the ref. The ref stopped play once, but not the other time. No excuse to stop playing... you're a player, not the ref.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    You're right, it was almost like watching TFC 2013 play against TFC 2012!

They've been hard to score on this year, so you can see why they'd think a two goal lead with 20 minutes left is safe. After the second TFC goal, they stepped on the accelerator again, and there were a few squeamish moments in the time added. Credit to TFC for taking advantage though. They are a hard team to score on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the Dallas first goal again since the weekend - that was all on Bostock. I didn't realise! Live I thought it was Russel's fault, but he ended up marking two guys as Bostock wasn't marking anybody at all. If you watch the goal back, Bostock is stood all on his own marking nobody at all, Russel is busting a gut to cover Bostock at the back post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Scoring a goal tends to blind people and can change an entire outlook.

Up until the 89th minute, he was much the same as previous weeks. There were 2 points yesterday where he stopped playing because he thought the ball went out of play. He stopped playing. Period. Put up his arm, and waited for the ref. The ref stopped play once, but not the other time. No excuse to stop playing... you're a player, not the ref.
    What drives me crazy is when 8 guys are arguing with the ref for a penalty (SOOO deserved!) and then the other team breaks away with the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I just watched the Dallas first goal again since the weekend - that was all on Bostock. I didn't realise! Live I thought it was Russel's fault, but he ended up marking two guys as Bostock wasn't marking anybody at all. If you watch the goal back, Bostock is stood all on his own marking nobody at all, Russel is busting a gut to cover Bostock at the back post.
    You could argue Bendik should have been out for the initial ball in. It was inside his six. That should be the keeper's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure Canary, I'm not saying its all on Bostock - I'm defending Russel as a few people in the thread are saying that the ball was on Russel's side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree you can't hang that goal on Russell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Eckersley was marking the wrong side of Kenny Cooper on the ball it. Cooper was the one who headed it down.