Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understood why Dero was polarizing. He was both great and terrible. But I don't understand why Terry get so much attention either way. It seems to me to be a result of boredom and a lack of substance to talk about within the team. My hope is that this season gives us some highs and hopefully a playoff chase so that we can talk about something of consequence and not the nice but middling players on the team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it just isn't the same without Ibrahim heads
    don't you worry, those bad boys will make a comeback soon enough. plus they're for trades, not thread ratings!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact Dunfield didn't even get mentioned by management for the armband probably says more about his future starting status then anything else.

(Every time I see somebody use the word Terry in here, I wonder why we are discussing Chelsea's manager)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems many have forgot that Terry was a huge factor in bringing some life into Olympic stadium during our last game with the Impact. He read the play, got behind the defence, and drew the penalty that Earnshaw put away. Even though Earnshaw put the ball in the back of the net, I still credit Terry for the goal with a magnificent run. It's still early, but I feel Terry has been solid so far this year. I hope he stays injury free.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look forward to the day when every single player for Toronto FC is so good, that none of the current team would even be on the bench.

Until then, I will do my best to support every player who takes the field for us.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simple View Post
    I understood why Dero was polarizing. He was both great and terrible. But I don't understand why Terry get so much attention either way. It seems to me to be a result of boredom and a lack of substance to talk about within the team. My hope is that this season gives us some highs and hopefully a playoff chase so that we can talk about something of consequence and not the nice but middling players on the team.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    I look forward to the day when every single player for Toronto FC is so good, that none of the current team would even be on the bench.
    That would be very nice, but not a fuckin' chance to happen until the average salary per player in MLS is at least $500,000 per year.
    How much is now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HuTor View Post
    That would be very nice, but not a fuckin' chance to happen until the average salary per player in MLS is at least $500,000 per year.
    How much is now?
    325-350k I think.

Edit: Nevermind, you said avg not max.

The salary list from the union should be released soon, interesting to see what the avg is this year.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-25-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I think you're probably looking at around $175k for the average MLS player, and this would include the youngsters, scrubs and the DP's. Throw out the DP's and the average would probably drop to around $125k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much hate for a depth player on this board is funny and sad at the same time. We got bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman who make more money than Dunfield but their game is worst than Dunfield, but yet don't get any hate on this board. Go figure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So much hate for a depth player on this board is funny and sad at the same time. We got bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman who make more money than Dunfield but their game is worst than Dunfield, but yet don't get any hate on this board. Go figure.
    There is universal agreement that those guys suck, so there is no argument to be had.

Some people like Dunfield, others hate him so there is debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the thing: he's not a depth player. Not right now. He should be a depth player, but he's been a starter on this team for a while now.

Braun and Wiedeman never start. Hence, they don't get much criticism; hard to criticize a guy's play when he's sitting on the bench, no?

Hall's been getting his fair share of criticism lately, because, go figure, he's starting.

I feel like a broken record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    That's the thing: he's not a depth player. Not right now. He should be a depth player, but he's been a starter on this team for a while now.

Braun and Wiedeman never start. Hence, they don't get much criticism; hard to criticize a guy's play when he's sitting on the bench, no?

Hall's been getting his fair share of criticism lately, because, go figure, he's starting.

I feel like a broken record.
    So blame Nelsen not Dunfield for that. Nelsen is one choosing starting lineup not Dunfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So blame Nelsen not Dunfield for that. Nelsen is one choosing starting lineup not Dunfield.
    But this is a completely different argument. You've changed the discussion from Dunfield's playing ability to Nelsen's management of the roster (and really, if you want to go there, our use of Dunfield speaks more to our lack of options in central midfield than to Nelsen's, or even Mariner's, managerial decisions).

I don't blame Dunfield for starting all the time. That doesn't make him immune from criticism though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you even bother to read this thread before commenting? My post is approx. the 75th in this thread. I just looked through them all. Not a single bit of hate evident in any of those posts. Where is this "so much hate" that you're talking about?

A fair number of people are saying: Dunfield's on a decent salary, he's useful in certain roles, he's good value, but he shouldn't be starting game after game.

Some debate about comparing Dunfield & Robbo; Dunfield & J. Hall.

Some debate RE how much of the Montreal goal was Dunfield's fault vs. other players' fault.

Many people hoping that Cesar will be better than Dunfield.

Some people saying, the way Dunfield was elevated by previous management, rarely criticized, made captain, while others were thrown under the bus, set up Dunfield for more criticism than others.

Sure, in game threads or elsewhere, some people might freak: why is Dunfield playing so much, why did he make this or that mistake, and sometimes people go overboard with the negativity. The "scapegoat of the hour" designation gets passed around, that's pretty normal for fans. But there's really no "hate" in this thread for you to refer to.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think it all depends on context. I think guys like Dunfield do get significant playing time on some other MLS teams. It depends what role they're given, how much they play, and how good the others around them are. In Montreal, we had Morgan, Dunfield, Hall, and Lambe all starting and playing the majority of the game. One or two of those guys, the way they are playing these days, is not necessarily a problem. All four of them together, in some pretty key roles, that is a problem. Plus you have Ecks, who is pretty good, but not great at long passes or crossing the ball. It made it pretty easy for Montreal to shut down Bostock and Earnshaw, plus a bit of attention given to Hogan Ephraim, w/o worrying much about the others.

Hall's & Dunfield's roles are crucial & difficult: on the one hand for defending; but especially when switching to attack -- in particular if you're trying to maintain possession and avoid the long ball. Tough positions to play! You want at least one to be an exeptional player, a real general, excellent passing both short & long, and great vision. We still need an upgrade.

The club knows this, that's why the trialed many guys, signed a few, and they're still hoping for a few Central-American reinforcements, short or long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Did you even bother to read this thread before commenting? My post is approx. the 75th in this thread. I just looked through them all. Not a single bit of hate evident in any of those posts. Where is this "so much hate" that you're talking about?

A fair number of people are saying: Dunfield's on a decent salary, he's useful in certain roles, he's good value, but he shouldn't be starting game after game.

Some debate about comparing Dunfield & Robbo; Dunfield & J. Hall.

Some debate RE how much of the Montreal goal was Dunfield's fault vs. other players' fault.

Many people hoping that Cesar will be better than Dunfield.

Some people saying, the way Dunfield was elevated by previous management, rarely criticized, made captain, while others were thrown under the bus, set up Dunfield for more criticism than others.

Sure, in game threads or elsewhere, some people might freak: why is Dunfield playing so much, why did he make this or that mistake, and sometimes people go overboard with the negativity. The "scapegoat of the hour" designation gets passed around, that's pretty normal for fans. But there's really no "hate" in this thread for you to refer to.
    I said this board not this thread. Read my post again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    But this is a completely different argument. You've changed the discussion from Dunfield's playing ability to Nelsen's management of the roster (and really, if you want to go there, our use of Dunfield speaks more to our lack of options in central midfield than to Nelsen's, or even Mariner's, managerial decisions).

I don't blame Dunfield for starting all the time. That doesn't make him immune from criticism though.
    You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them? Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them? Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.
    There's been plenty of criticism of both Hall and Morgan. Not everything needs its own thread, and I wouldn't take the fact that Dunfield has his own thread as anything more than someone felt like making one. The player movement thread got derailed; it's an internet forum, it happens.

Terry's been around longer than other guys and he's always been a liability, so if he seems to get more criticism than others it's just because there's a sort of morbid deja-vu when he screws up. Also, as someone pointed out quite well earlier, Dunfield is the poster boy for what's wrong with Canadian soccer players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said this board not this thread. Read my post again.
    True dat. And this thread is a very important part of this board specifically when we're talking about Terry Dunfield. You would think the haters would turn out here in droves?! Maybe because, outside of the heat of a game or some trumped up debate, if people think about it more carefully, there really isn't much hate towards Dunfield.

I did hear some other hate here though: "bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman." Everything I've heard, those three guys are also very friendly, hard-working and upstanding team players. Doesn't make them superstars either. There's been lots of criticism of Hall, with almost nobody taking the other side, so we don't hear as much about him on the board because there's really not much to debate. (Plus he does a pretty good job of staying invisible in games.) Wiedeman (similar to Dunfield) was also put on too much of a pedestal by Mariner, so he's also received some (largely undeserved) flack from fans as a result. Braun hasn't played a league game yet, partially due to injury, so how can you call him a bum or say his game is worse? Maybe the change to Toronto will do him good, and Braun will live up to the potential people saw in him a couple of years ago. Maybe not, whatever. Anyway how do you expect people to get upset about players who aren't even playing?

Basically you're doing what you're complaining about, that a few others do to Dunfield: overwrought criticism, out of proportion to the expectations or capabilities of a depth player on our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them?
    Because this is the Terry Dunfield thread, not the "under-performing players thread"
    Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.
    There's no thread about Morgan and Hall because there isn't an argument to be had there. Everyone accepts that Morgan and Hall have been bad, but in the case of Dunfield people feel the need to back him up no matter how bad he plays, which then creates two sides with opposing views and therefore there is an argument to be had. This thread was created because that argument was taking over every thread on the board. If enough people start defending Hall and Morgan's crap play, it is possible that a thread will be started to argue about them. But as of right now there is no need for one because almost everyone agrees that they've been bad.

So don't try to twist the existence of this thread as proof that more people have it in for Dunfield than Morgan or Hall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Hall been that bad? Maybe his last year's performance at RB automatically assumes he's just crap in all positions and systems. He's been better than Dunfield in terms of breaking up plays and distribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Has Hall been that bad? Maybe his last year's performance at RB automatically assumes he's just crap in all positions and systems. He's been better than Dunfield in terms of breaking up plays and distribution.
    He's been pretty decent. I think most of the hate-on for Hall is based on last year. Same with Dunfield, although we've already seen that neither has the distribution skills or reading of the play needed to influence things, and Terry ball watches badly sometimes. If I had to pick one, it would be Hall, because at least he can dribble out of trouble occasionally. But I can't say either is a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall is too tactically clueless to play CM. I don't mind him as the backup RM though. I also don't think we can be sure that Hall and Wiedeman are on the same sized contracts that they were before since their contracts were renegotiated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are arguing about Dunfield?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield has played his heart out and still became a lightning rod for our dissatisfaction with the on-field product.
    Sure he's a utility player with limited skill in a mediocre league, but there's lots of those in MLS.
    I admittedly used to jeer him, but the joke isn't that funny anymore.
    Hate the game, not the player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quoted from a sports betting mailing list I subscribe to:

I was originally very keen on Toronto FC off level ball at home to FC Dallas tonight in MLS action and still feel they have the firepower to see off the visitors, but things have been made so much harder with the news that Terry Dunfield picked up an injury in training and will miss out. The hosts have conceded two goals in five of the last six matches he has missed and do not have huge options (any?) in the defensive midfield role. This news has not been widely reported btw, but I am assured it is correct. Offensively they look fine, Robert Earnshaw, who was prolific in the Championship, has four goals from four starts and the hugely gifted, but yet to fulfil his potential, John Bostock, is on loan from Tottenham and all round, the hosts look much stronger this season. They have scored two in each of their home starts, against Sporting KC and LA Galaxy, both of whom I rate superior to Dallas, but they also conceded three in those, one after Dunfield was substituted, his loss is a major concern and enough to make me pass. If you pushed me for a pick, something like a 3-2, 2-2 correct score would be my choice. The other MLS matches make limited appeal tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Quoted from a sports betting mailing list I subscribe to:

I take it he doesn't actually watch TFC much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this clip in a match preview earlier, they just uploaded it now. Dunfield looking stylish in the flat cap.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my Dunfield jersey at the game on Saturday, still love the guy and will wear it with pride!