Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Terry Dunfield Omnibus Thread

Since everybody's favourite topic of conversation comes up in every thread, I figured why not make a place for it?

He's cheap, he's domestic, he gets the job done better than any of our other depth midfielders.
    Unfortunately he's got narrow vision, passes the ball backwards too often and is slow to recover when he's beat.

There's probably a whole lot more to add to that by people who know the game better than I do.

Having said that, here's the most recent page of the TFC general player moves thread:

T-boy
    I'm not a mod here, but I don't think I'm out of turn suggesting that every time we read somebody's comments about hating Dunfield, we should just ignore it. Otherwise every thread is going to end up a giant argument about Dunfield, even if the thread isn't originally about him! Love him or hate him, Terry is a TFC player.
    ---
    bigredone
    Terry's Football Club! On the pitch, off the pitch, and coming off the pitch he always has time for fans from what I experienced.
    ---
    Canary10
    I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?
    Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.
    ---
    Ultra & Proud
    I think because when Winter was canned a few people targeted Dunfield as the "Mariner's" type of no talent hack and it snowballed. I find on all the boards that once a small group starts having a go at a certain player for whatever reason (factual or not) and multiple threads spiral into 'player X' bashing that the sentiment generally spreads and then the lemmings follow. Then when pressed most folks will point to whatever argument the original bashers presented, in Dunfield's case that he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't run. And you are 100% correct, Eckersley should be found guilty of all of the same offenses minus the running part but makes up for it with poor positioning and he costs almost 5x as much as Dunny and also uses an international spot. And he is the reigning player of the year.
    ---
    Corpand
    Dunfield has started to grow on me this season. I believe he divided the fanbase so much last year was because he was played in a formation that was not playing towards his strengths. This year he is allowed to sit back more, bring his head up and pick out passes for the wings and sometimes chip it over for Earnshaw. I have paid special attention to him specifically when we play and he does things only an older, more experienced player knows how to do.

Cuts off passing lanes in 2v1 situations effectively
    Dictates the pace of the game at times effectively
    Actually connects his through passes well and has created a few dangerous situations. He just needs to tone it down emotionally at times, I feel the team`s mood greatly impacts him and causes him to cause rash tackles (when we are chasing a game).

I think if he stays injury free, he has the potential to stay on this team for a while longer. The man needs to keep his stamina up though, he will lose much of his appeal if he starts getting winded around the 60th min. Now he just huffs and puffs away the full 90. I like.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I endorse this thread, thanks for putting it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't have a Dunny thread without this pic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leader of Men...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corpand's post should bolded and put right at the top as it pretty much says it all. Good post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree there is probably some mis-directed Paul Mariner hate coming to Dunfield. And watching Dunny stand over a free kick like he's Cronaldo got me rolling my eyes a couple of times last year. But if we can get the central midfield sorted (is Cesar really on this team?) then Dunfield's role will subside a bit and we won't need to talk about him as much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Terry Dunfield = the most polarizing figure on TFC since DeRo. He deserved his own thread.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Canary10 said it best - I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub

To add to that - I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub if we are tied or trying to hold a lead.

Get in there, boot the fucking ball as far away from our goal as possible, break up any sort of attack that may be forming against us in the midfield.
    Slide tackle, run over people, whatever Dunny's gotta do to get the ball away from our 18 yard box, he'll do it.

But don't expect him to score a goal or setup a game winning/tying goal .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've posted I think three times on this board and probably two of them have been in support of dirty dunfield. He plays hard and puts his 100% out there every game. Does it make up for his lack of raw talent, no. But I'd rather cheer him on because of his attitude and drive (people will groan but whatever you can't please everyone). He did score 6 goals last year though in all competitions... Just saying I know he's not a sniper but he does contribute to the team waaay more than others that don't get nearly the same flack. Maybe he's a great leader in the dressing room as well who knows. I'll continue to wear my dunfield jersey with pride. I hope he stays at TFC for some time even though my GF says once you get a players name on your jersey it's the kiss of death and he'll be gone sooner than later. haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True he can chip in with a goal or two for sure and that is a bonus but I see him as that late match destroyer that disrupts the other team's flow when they come in waves to hold leads or maintain important draws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    True he can chip in with a goal or two for sure and that is a bonus but I see him as that late match destroyer that disrupts the other team's flow when they come in waves to hold leads or maintain important draws.

agreed....Dunfield has been consistent in his play and role - he fits in well with salary and output.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does know how to use his head inside the opponents box... something we've had trouble getting strikers to do in the past.

I was just trying to look up the 2013 salary info, has it been released yet? All I could find were the 2012 numbers and it had Dunfield making a reasonable $86,000. I think at that price you'd have a hard time justifying his release especially when you compare that to other midfielders that didn't get regular time last year:

---------base/guarenteed
    Avila - 125k / 158k
    J. Hall - 100k / 149k
    Maund - 44k / 59k

I can't remember which number applies to the cap but either way we have the first two making a fair bit more while Maund is cheap, he's no where near MLS ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEST 23 IN THE LEAGUE...!!!

Of course, that chant had more weight to it when Beckham was with LA - but it still applies...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    He does know how to use his head inside the opponents box... something we've had trouble getting strikers to do in the past.

I was just trying to look up the 2013 salary info, has it been released yet? All I could find were the 2012 numbers and it had Dunfield making a reasonable $86,000. I think at that price you'd have a hard time justifying his release especially when you compare that to other midfielders that didn't get regular time last year:

---------base/guarenteed
    Avila - 125k / 158k
    J. Hall - 100k / 149k
    Maund - 44k / 59k

I can't remember which number applies to the cap but either way we have the first two making a fair bit more while Maund is cheap, he's no where near MLS ready.
    Based on actual results and not lauding technical ability that led to little then Dunfield was better than all of them. Avila has a bigger upside but he's yet to show much of anything yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Based on actual results and not lauding technical ability that led to little then Dunfield was better than all of them. Avila has a bigger upside but he's yet to show much of anything yet.
    Avila has 2 assists with Chivas USA in 3 games
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Avila has 2 assists with Chivas USA in 3 games
    I said Dinfield was better. Avila could turn out way better or he could go party, be lazy, and have an attitude like they said he did both here and in Dallas. Who knows? Plus, considering their respective roles within the midfield, Avila should have more opportunities to score/get assists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad to see Terry getting some deserved credit. good thread OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's not fair to compare an attacking mid to a defensive mid but for the sake of last year's salaries, I had little else to work with. Avila was depth though as it seemed Silva was favoured. So he was still a depth midfielder, just of a different role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm never going to stop criticizing him if he keeps starting because over 90 minutes there is so much to criticize him for. He's not good enough to be an MLS starter, it's that simple.

Throw him on with 15 minutes left when we don't need a goal or even possession? Sure. But no more than that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I'm never going to stop criticizing him if he keeps starting because over 90 minutes there is so much to criticize him for. He's not good enough to be an MLS starter, it's that simple.

Throw him on with 15 minutes left when we don't need a goal or even possession? Sure. But no more than that.
    right now, it's between Dunfield or Hall in one of starting DM roles. pick your poison
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who thinks he looks better this year than last?

You could say that it is because he has quality around him but A. Morgan has looked worse IMO and he defo has quality around him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now, it's between Dunfield or Hall in one of starting DM roles. pick your poison
    Hall it is (but I'd try Bekker in the role for a game or two to see how he does).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post

You could say that it is because he has quality around him but A. Morgan has looked worse IMO and he defo has quality around him.
    he's been decent ever since Mariner took over actually.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall it is (but I'd try Bekker in the role for a game or two to see how he does).
    you wouldn't try Bekker at DM if you saw his play for Canada today

and seriously? Hall, the clueless running around if he's not getting beaten 1v1?

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spa treatments

Amazing what a good mani-pedi will do for a man.

Or so I'm told.......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion he's the only player on our squad who has consistently improved over 3 seasons (although judging this one after 3 matches is crazy). Not saying that makes him all star quality or anything as he came from pretty far down but it'd be hard to deny that Dunfield 2013 is far better than Dunfield 2011 and by a very wide margin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i said it before and i got blasted for it, but i'll say it again. Terry Dunfield is in the same ballpark as Carl Robinson was when he played here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you wouldn't try Bekker at DM if you saw his play for Canada today

and seriously? Hall, the clueless running around if he's not getting beaten 1v1?
    He played well in a deeper role in previous games for Canada. Off games happen. Not saying he belongs there but I think it's worth investigation (especially considering the surplus of attacking midfielders we have compared to deeper ones).

And yeah, Hall. The way I see it either of them will hurt us over 90 minutes, but at least Hall is mobile. The difference in their abilities is negligible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yeah, Hall. The way I see it either of them will hurt us over 90 minutes, but at least Hall is mobile. The difference in their abilities is negligible.
    Except that Hall can't read the game for shit. That is the only thing that kept Dunfield on the pitch in the past.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He played well in a deeper role in previous games for Canada. Off games happen. Not saying he belongs there but I think it's worth investigation (especially considering the surplus of attacking midfielders we have compared to deeper ones).

I don't think Bekker's had a good game in last 4 games for TFC and Canada. He just lacks the balls to play DM or even box to box role right now. I'm hoping that'll change as he gets used to the professional environment.

Dunfield right now is playing helluva lot better than Hall, although Dunfield is given more of a box to box role, and Hall is supposedly the DM destroyer. well, I suspect we will have this convo again after few more games.

-Eduardo Galeano