Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to miss him. Always thought he had good potential as a player. I liked the fight in him, didn't look like a fun guy to play against.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunate. Thierry Henry had only kind words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, there's always (at least for me) a pang of regret when home-grown players don't make it. But realistically, if an academy (of any team in the world) can churn out 1 or 2 players a year who contribute significantly (and I define it as at least regular substitute minutes), then it's a success. Of course, there are academies that are better, some poorer, but generally speaking, this would be a good return.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Too bad - thought the kid could have been one for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of the overzealous academy signings done by Mariner and Winter. A real pity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a shame Stinson couldnt prove his worth and we have to part ways with our HGP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Too bad - thought the kid could have been one for the future.
    Really tough luck, for a talented local kid. Toronto F.C. at times really never gave him a chance at a starting position. I hope this is not end of the line for Stinson, cuz I would definitely like to see him trial and catch on with some club hopefully overseas, (i.e. Nana Attakora route). He is really a good canadian talent and could really develop with some overseas seasoning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i saw this coming...good luck to him.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

meh, he was over-rated by the supporters IMO.

Great worker, not so great skill. A younger version of Dunfield IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And TFC not having a minor league affiliate comes back to bite them again. It pisses me off that TFC doesn't spend money on one of the few things where more money does give you an advantage.

I fully trust Payne, but I have to wonder what the point of this is. Low roster spot, low salary, domestic player.
    Only thing I can think of is that he wants to keep roster spots 29 and 30 open for allocation money.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

That was my impression of him when he did get time at the beginning of last season. Of course he's also a cheaper version of him and more versatile. And more moldable
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 03-19-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how they can cut this guy and start Jeremy Hall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to bet he could make the FC Edmonton lineup. They look a bit weak in midfield. Too bad he couldnt replace Dunfield, it seems like Dunfield is always the weakest link, but manages to stay in the roster over players capable of being more long term. Baffles the mind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all want to see out local talent make good. Too bad it did not work out for Stinson. I wish him the best hope he can continue his career somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinson would have been a depth player in the defensive midfield at best, and realistically, he lacked the size and technique to develop beyond that at this level.

He had a great work ethic though, and I hope he catches on elsewhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    And TFC not having a minor league affiliate comes back to bite them again. It pisses me off that TFC doesn't spend money on one of the few things where more money does give you an advantage.
    I agree, but I also think this isn't something to jump into right away. I'm hoping that ground work is being done for TFC to either pursue an affliation or own USL/D3 team next year.
    I fully trust Payne, but I have to wonder what the point of this is. Low roster spot, low salary, domestic player.
    Only thing I can think of is that he wants to keep roster spots 29 and 30 open for allocation money.
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

this year's rules say nothing about getting allocation money for spots 29-30
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the point of waiving Stinson now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I agree, but I also think this isn't something to jump into right away. I'm hoping that ground work is being done for TFC to either pursue an affliation or own USL/D3 team next year.
    I hope they pursue the latter. I'd like to have a Toronto FC II team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    What's the point of waiving Stinson now?
    in Stinson's case, a roster spot

Waiving Stinson means 27 spots are taken up right now... Wild speculation: TFC is going to sign 3 players soon? (though with only 1 int spot available?)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given MLSE's resources, this is something that TFC should have been leading MLS with from the time they created the academy. Right now they should be doing everything they can to get an NASL team in Toronto or the GTA where they can put academy graduates who aren't ready for MLS yet and to loan players to. For example, instead of releasing Reggie Lambe or Taylor Morgan because they need an international spot, they could loan one out to the NASL side (if he was willing) and then hopefully he can get permanent residency soon and come back up.
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

this year's rules say nothing about getting allocation money for spots 29-30
    weird. I just assumed the rules were the same as last year (and the year before?) in this regard

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfectly said. In other words, a hard-working loser and therefore a supporter favorite around here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks, why does TFC not have a team in PDL or something like that?

He needed polishing to be sure, quite a bit of polishing but I don't think he peaked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Perfectly said. In other words, a hard-working loser and therefore a supporter favorite around here.
    loser? what did Stinson do to deserve that label?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I'm willing to bet he could make the FC Edmonton lineup. They look a bit weak in midfield. Too bad he couldnt replace Dunfield, it seems like Dunfield is always the weakest link, but manages to stay in the roster over players capable of being more long term. Baffles the mind.
    ummm because he isn't.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loser? what did Stinson do to deserve that label?
    He very frequently played out of position, added absolutely nothing/was invisible in midfield, in 25 games he recorded two assists and cost us many more goals, very much like Terry. And yes, "loser" is appropriate here: he, like Dunfield, was a core part of the very horrible year we had last year. Period full stop. Say what you will about being called up early, or not being given a chance by the regime, but the record speaks for itself.

But, nontheless, look at the comment made by MKR: people love Dunfield, and sure as shit, people will love Matt Stinson.

I love comments like, "Oh, but he had all this potential and showed a lot of promise." Did he? Show me. Because Ryan Nelsen and Kevin Payne know a shitload more about football than you, and they don't see it either.

Bottom line is that coming up through the Academy program to perform with true-to-form mediocrity should not be qualifications for celebrating someone's time with TFC. But obviously to you they are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He very frequently played out of position, added absolutely nothing/was invisible in midfield, in 25 games he recorded two assists and cost us many more goals, very much like Terry. And yes, "loser" is appropriate here: he, like Dunfield, was a core part of the very horrible year we had last year. Period full stop. Say what you will about being called up early, or not being given a chance by the regime, but the record speaks for itself.

But, nontheless, look at the comment made by MKR: people love Dunfield, and sure as shit, people will love Matt Stinson.

I love comments like, "Oh, but he had all this potential and showed a lot of promise." Did he? Show me. Because Ryan Nelsen and Kevin Payne know a shitload more about football than you, and they don't see it either.

Bottom line is that coming up through the Academy program to perform with true-to-form mediocrity should not be qualifications for celebrating someone's time with TFC. But obviously to you they are.
    Stinson played 4 league games last year. 'Core part' indeed

Your post has zero credibility

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another case of you making a bigger deal of people hoping for more from him when a player is waived. Like you wonder why some like certain players I wonder why you relish when they're dropped.

Supporter Favourite by my definition would be on a POTY list or at least a banner made about him. Neither have been even mentioned so I wouldn't call this more than hoping for better from a player.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinson played 4 league games last year. 'Core part' indeed

Your post has zero credibility
    He played about a third of the games the club played all season, sat in the bench for many more, and you're telling me that he wasn't part of the shit-year squad?

Hahhahaa. Alright, chief. Also, way to read the whole post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He very frequently played out of position, added absolutely nothing/was invisible in midfield, in 25 games he recorded two assists and cost us many more goals, very much like Terry. And yes, "loser" is appropriate here: he, like Dunfield, was a core part of the very horrible year we had last year. Period full stop.
    looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. Period full stop.