RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Today's News Friday March 15

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin o it feels like game day
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this quote from Ben's piece:

The sporting phenomenon that has become soccer supporter culture in Canada -- and especially away supporter culture - is nothing short of absurd. Ten years ago, the idea that 5,000 soccer fans would travel anywhere, for anything in Canada, would have been delusional. And yet, here we are this week with Toronto FC confirming they're expecting just such a following in la belle province.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fucking travel day!!! One more sleep! Can't wait for this it is going to be EPIC!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guten Morgan, Älter.

Wanted to say thanks to you and others of whom have filled in for Denime, in his absence; I aspire to be so brave, myself, one day.

We're coming for you, Montréal.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roaring start to the day - overslept! Haven't done that in ages and of all the days..
    TFC trip day is off to a Home Alone type rush. Still gotta pop into work, focus will be difficult.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFizik View Post
    Still gotta pop into work, focus will be difficult.
    I haven't "worked" for three days. Focus has been incredibly difficult. Good thing there's lots to read and watch on the interwebs...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The number of people going to Montreal, regardless of the final actual number, is testimony on how much the fans want this team to be successful. A stint of even modest success for TFC would create a big response I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The number of people going to Montreal, regardless of the final actual number, is testimony on how much the fans want this team to be successful. A stint of even modest success for TFC would create a big response I think.
    If TFC was a perennial playoff team, I think there would be over 10,000 supporters making the trek to Montreal. Considering our history, 5,000 supporters is astonishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having over 4000 fans from Toronto to travel all the way to Montreal is incredible in any sport even if it was for Hockey. This should be news that should be in the general news sections of newspapers never mind the sports pages, however, if it was not for forums like this one, one would not know of this phenomenon that is about to take place. Reading the Toronto papers not even the sports pages are talking about this today never mind the general news sections. We have two all sports stations here in Toronto that both own a piece of this team, however, this story has hardly been talked about. Like I said if this was happening in any of the other sports the media would be all over it but it's soccer so the general media does not think it's a story what a joke!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree this is a nice story, not sure its incredible though (for Canadian soccer yes it is)...How many fans do you think travel to Montreal for a Leafs game? I'm going to say in the 21,000 seat Centre Bell it's more than 5,000. Its quite an invasion if you haven't ever been to one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't go as far as 5000 at a Habs game. Been there done that. Plus alot of the Leafs fans who do make the trip are from Ottawa or Montreal area and alot from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia who make the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    I agree this is a nice story, not sure its incredible though (for Canadian soccer yes it is)...How many fans do you think travel to Montreal for a Leafs game? I'm going to say in the 21,000 seat Centre Bell it's more than 5,000. Its quite an invasion if you haven't ever been to one.
    A large majority of 'Leafs fans at Habs games' and 'Habs fans at Leafs games' live in that city, and are transplants, or support through family lines...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    A large majority of 'Leafs fans at Habs games' and 'Habs fans at Leafs games' live in that city, and are transplants, or support through family lines...
    I can tell you I know a lot of guys who are not leaf fans that were born and raised in TO. One guy has Italian parents and he's a Bruins fan. Like you said, there are a lot of people who live here who are not Leaf fans, and that can be seen by watching any home games.

But I can say that I do not know anyone who lives here that is an Impact or Whitecaps fan ....

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw this on Twitter

TFC Academy Prepares for Dallas Cup

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/3/1...oster-schedule

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    No doubt, but when you take the VIA up on a friday before a game its packed with Leaf jerseys. Most of the big hotels in the centre of the city as well...i'm not taking anything away from tomorrows match, its fantastic to see. Im just saying its not exactly something that doesnt happen in other sports. If hockey had designated away sections they would be pretty massive at Leafs games in Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point I was trying to make is that I find it incredible that a team like TFC playing a sport like soccer that gets nothing like the mainstream media coverage that the Leafs get, it's not even close and it shouldn't be I mean hockey is king here it's Canada I get it, the Raptors get much more media attention, the Jays even the Argos much more than TFC, however, with all that in mind TFC still is able to get 4000 people to travel to a game 6 hours of driving time away, that I find incredible. The fact that the Leafs can get that or get it according to some on these boards means nothing to me, it's hockey this is Canada hockey is king so it's not a story. This is soccer it's TFC and this is Canada and that is why I think it's an incredible story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that I find it incredible that a team like TFC playing a sport like soccer that gets nothing like the mainstream media coverage that the Leafs get, it's not even close and it shouldn't be I mean hockey is king here it's Canada I get it, the Raptors get much more media attention, the Jays even the Argos much more than TFC, however, with all that in mind TFC still is able to get 4000 people to travel to a game 6 hours of driving time away, that I find incredible. The fact that the Leafs can get that or get it according to some on these boards means nothing to me, it's hockey this is Canada hockey is king so it's not a story. This is soccer it's TFC and this is Canada and that is why I think it's an incredible story.
    Thing is, there are a LOT of soccer fans in Toronto. A LOT! Obviously not as many as hockey fans, but the number is still very impressive for any North American city. Add to that the fact that going on road trips is very much part of soccer culture. I think it's sort of an apples to oranges kinda thing. If it was hockey culture to travel in packs, then I'm sure Leaf fans would go in the THOUSANDS to every single game in the season. It's just not the same. Also, most hardcore soccer fans in this city can easily go and see all home games. Not so with hockey. So the relationship with the club is a bit different too.

Anyway, ranting. I'm too restless. Can't wait for tomorrow to come!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Leaf fans travelling to Ottawa often get new coverage for a few hundred. Wasn't there a story last month about Ottawa and Leaf Fans travelling in almost every single paper? So it isn't really apples and oranges.

What is, is that Hockey Arenas have 18-21,000 seats, SSS have 18-25,000 seats the Big O had 50,000 usable seats and thus more fans can travel. Still 5,000 leaf fans travelling to a 20,500 arena or 5,000 TFC fans travelling to a 20,000 SSS would make up nearly a 1/4 of all seats... that would be a huge story.

It is still big, and you'd think more would be there.

Though there is a fair bit. (many are just repostings of a CP story but it's there)

Toronto FC fans set to smash MLS record for away supporters

Toronto FC-Impact rivalry heightened by old tensions (Already posted)

BUTLER: BRAGGING RIGHTS AWAIT TORONTO FC AND IMPACT

How big is Montreal vs. Toronto? (Already posted)

Away Support Mark Set To Fall Saturday(Already Posted)

Impact looks to go on attack against rival Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There aren't 5000 seats available to be sold at the Bell Centre, so Leaf fans have never come close to that number. What TFC fans are doing is pretty unique - especially considering the soccer is still considered a fringe sport of sorts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be a very special day, the biggest travelling group of away support ever in Major League Soccer. The Big O is what is allowing for this to happen. Last year at the last of three road trips in Montreal , the Reds first at the new Saputo there was just over 14k in the stadium. Even with say 5k seats empty there is no way Saputo would sell MLSE a huge amount of tickets as it would not be good for appearance.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!