Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Wait until Montreal wins something more than a game before you assume they have the right strategy; you saw the way Nesta went down last night? Just a tweak was all it took. Their average team age is over 30. So they better have very good backups, or a very good physio, because this league's season plays looooong, with lots of turf, lots of trips, lots of older players going down.

In fact, I think one of the reasons TFC buzzed around so much in the final 15 minutes was that the Impact looked out of gas.
    They're 3-0. 9 points on 3 games. We're 1-2. 3 Points on 3 Games with one player who has scored all the goals. Two on penalties. So we've created on goal from the run of play in 270 minutes. In those 270 minutes we've had 8 shots hit the net. We don't have a player with a single assist. We lost cause we're not every good. Yes we're better than last year, but so are most U-17 teams in Spain. They beat us. 2-1 which was flattering at the end. Some great stops by Bendik on Di Viao and then lack of finish a by their Brazilian at the end and it's 3-1.

BTW TFC over 30's....

Califf- 33
    Dunfeild 31
    Earnshaw 33
    Julio Cesar 34
    Darel Rusell 32
    Kovermans 34

At the end of the day their over 30 are better than our over 30 crowd. It's that simple. Their bench players are also better. That may change with the 4 players Jesus Nelsen says he's bringing in. I'll wait and see who they are.

Personally I'd take Keene or Henry over Dunfeild or Earnshaw anyday. Even as old as they are.
    Last edited by JoeyB; 03-17-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    They're 3-0. 9 points on 3 games. We're 1-2. 3 Points on 3 Games with one player who has scored all the goals. Two on penalties. So we've created on goal from the run of play in 270 minutes. You need to give some credit. They beat us. 2-1 was flattering at the end. Some great stops by Bendik on Di Viao and then lack of finish a by their Brazilian at the end and it's 3-1.

BTW TFC over 30's....

Califf- 33
    Dunfeild 31
    Earnshaw 33
    Julio Cesar 34
    Darel Rusell 32
    Koverman's 34

At the end of the day their over 30 are better than our over 30 crowd. It's that simple. Their bench players are also better. That may change with the 4 players Jesus Nelsen says he's bringing in. I'll wait and see who they are.
    A lot of this is tripe.

Montreal may be 3-0 but they didn't look like an elite MLS team to me. They were nothing special. Most of our key guys have been here two weeks, and Montreal still had trouble holding possession. Their victory in Seattle looks more like a massive upset, than anything meaningful.

There is zero point comparing any teams "over 30s" with another teams "over 30s" without discussing cap space. Montreal has chosen to use the vast majority of its cap space on older players. There is a massive difference between any one of the TFC "over 30s" going down, and it happening to Nesta or Di Vaio.

The "Jesus Nelsen" bit makes me wonder if you are a troll.

We do need to find goals from the run of play, but I'm hopeful that Training Camp II can address this. It's interesting/bizarre that Earnshaw has three goals, but hasn't actually had a pass completed to him in a dangerous spot yet!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This ref killed this game for me. Why have shitty and hotheaded ref for biggest soccer rivalry in North America? (no rivalry can't match Toronto-Montreal rivalry in terms of history) Way to go MLS! Anyway, why is Nelsen keep starting Hall and Dunfield at the same time? You can't start both and except offensive production. Morgan needs to be benched and have him earn his starting role. Once we get a proper attacking midfielder, winger and LB, then hopefully we can score some goals.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A lot of this is tripe.

Montreal may be 3-0 but they didn't look like an elite MLS team to me. They were nothing special. Most of our key guys have been here two weeks, and Montreal still had trouble holding possession. Their victory in Seattle looks more like a massive upset, than anything meaningful.

There is zero point comparing any teams "over 30s" with another teams "over 30s" without discussing cap space. Montreal has chosen to use the vast majority of its cap space on older players. There is a massive difference between any one of the TFC "over 30s" going down, and it happening to Nesta or Di Vaio.

The "Jesus Nelsen" bit makes me wonder if you are a troll.

We do need to find goals from the run of play, but I'm hopeful that Training Camp II can address this. It's interesting/bizarre that Earnshaw has three goals, but hasn't actually had a pass completed to him in a dangerous spot yet!

Before Nelsen it was Jesus Winter around here. The rush to idolize coaches is wrong. I remember people thinking at the start that Mo Johnson was Jesus after the first game at BMO. So I'm not trolling. I'm simply stating an opinion. Montreal right now is a better team. And we're not that good right now. It should improve. But right now, we're not making the play-offs. Montreal is. AND thinking because we won a single game, on a penalty shot and terrible errant pass, that all is super duper and we'll forgive the club for the last 7 years is TRIPE.

I personally will step off the suporter emotional roller coaster and try to see things a little more flat lined.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW what happens to cap space when a player leaves at the end of his contract? That cash is available to use again. SO the idea that cap space is badly used on players over 30 is wrong. It's badly used on players who don't perform at any age. And it's wisely used when a player does perform. I'd rather win with a 34 year old and than lose with a 27 year old. And when a player doesn't live up to billing. Cut him. Trade him. Whatever.

Win. Just Win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're 3-0. 9 points on 3 games. We're 1-2. 3 Points on 3 Games with one player who has scored all the goals. Two on penalties. So we've created on goal from the run of play in 270 minutes. In those 270 minutes we've had 8 shots hit the net. We don't have a player with a single assist. We lost cause we're not every good. Yes we're better than last year, but so are most U-17 teams in Spain. They beat us. 2-1 which was flattering at the end. Some great stops by Bendik on Di Viao and then lack of finish a by their Brazilian at the end and it's 3-1.

BTW TFC over 30's....

Califf- 33
    Dunfeild 31
    Earnshaw 33
    Julio Cesar 34
    Darel Rusell 32
    Kovermans 34

Personally I'd take Keene or Henry over Dunfeild or Earnshaw anyday. Even as old as they are.
    We weren't comparing the two teams. He was saying he wishes we'd follow Montreal's lead. I didnt' say ours was better. So, moot point. The correct answer can be "neither" with respect to who has the right idea or direction, and it's early days to tell in either case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally will step off the suporter emotional roller coaster and try to see things a little more flat lined.
    Given that you were responding to my comment, I think you need to review more than one thread before you declare me on the "support emotional roller coaster."

Dude, I have aspergers. Most of the time, I make Sheldon Cooper look histrionic, I'm so dispassionate about opinions.

Just because you don't think one thing is a good idea (i.e. hiring a team full of aging Italian stars) doesn't mean you're saying the team they were playing is, like, super man.

So far, I find a lot impressive about Nelsen as a person, but nothing idol worthy. For one, until he recognizes that we simply can't start Hall and Dunfield together in midfield and expect to win games, I will have doubts that his ability to recognize talent is any better than his predecessors.

Right now, tactically, we're Preki redux. The only difference is he's trying to get them to spring a counterattack as well, which puts us in slightly more of an attractive mould. But it's early days.

As for people behaving emotionally and without balance, have you considered that blanket accusing people (in almost any circumstance) of behaving that way is, in and of itself, an emotional and unbalanced response?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JoeyB you need to stop using We're ... both teams are a they to you.

Toronto is having difficulty up front right now...

Toronto has scored just once from actual game play thus far. Once the front line gels we should be ok. We knew what to expect going into the season. And our front end is disgustingly stacked against us. We don't play Chicago till what September? and Montreal we play 5 times between now and the end of July in all Competitions Our opening four games are a strong Vancouver, a Strong SKC, a Strong Montreal and a Strong LA while the team is in serious flux.

Going in I said they will score one, and the rest depends on how well we do up front..... We had two Ref PKs that cancelled each other out... They scored once, we didn't they won. End of the day that was always a realistic outcome. Things are right about where people expected... actually a little better.

In fact we don't have a middle table game until the end of April so ya we were going to start off slow, and we will move forward well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Can we have a little bit more solid analysis, and a little bit less cursing and name calling please? I would hate to see the conversation devolve into the kind of ill-temptered sturm und drang that characterized so much of last year on the board.

This

Calm down people or Infractions will be given.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before Nelsen it was Jesus Winter around here. The rush to idolize coaches is wrong. I remember people thinking at the start that Mo Johnson was Jesus after the first game at BMO. So I'm not trolling. I'm simply stating an opinion. Montreal right now is a better team. And we're not that good right now. It should improve. But right now, we're not making the play-offs. Montreal is. AND thinking because we won a single game, on a penalty shot and terrible errant pass, that all is super duper and we'll forgive the club for the last 7 years is TRIPE.

Flat line all you want.

Hope is not worship. Your hyperbole is getting offensive.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got back from montreal.
    Still after 6 years travelling to away games ,we have not seen a victory.
    Great weekend though!
    Everyone has the same idea;
    Morgan has to drop to the bench,still has lots to learn if he wants to be a starter.
    Hall,Lamb will be gone mid season unless they improve 100%.
    Dunfield is a last 20 mins type of player .
    Bostock could be the real deal,but play him on the left side.
    Ephraim has not shown any more up side than Becker in creativaty.
    Osario should be given more field time.
    So we are still after 6 seasons looking for 4-5 CLASS players.
    That is how i viewed the first 3 games
    You all have a great week and HOPE we get some class before March 30th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^i am 2-1-1 the only loss coming yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't bad 2-1 against the Nr 1 in the east lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone find a picture of the whole TFC away section of the game? I was in the 100's,so i couldnt see up top. Loudest away game, bare none. Good job guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owwww and btw I was also there, why you people sing still dichio song isn't it better to sing and support someone who is on the field?......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    Owwww and btw I was also there, why you people sing still dichio song isn't it better to sing and support someone who is on the field?......
    I always try to sing the Terry Dunfield song in the 23rd minute, but nobody ever joins me.
    Last edited by Gazza; 03-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because like any other club we celebrate our (albeit limited for us) history. Danny is a legend for scoring the first goal and everything he did for us, I hope we sing it 20 years from now
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the Dichio song is still being sung when the 100th year anniversary of that goal comes around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously? You ask such a question? Do you not know your TFC history???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I hope the Dichio song is still being sung when the 100th year anniversary of that goal comes around.
    The day i stop singing the dichio song is the day im either dead or stopped being a tfc supporter.

The dichio song isnt just about danny dichio

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't want to replace Morgan, but I think we should start Russell ahead of him next game to give him a kick in the ass. Russell looked quite composed at RB after he came on.
    well said.........not sure on ephraim and Iwouldlovetosee Ernshaw behind Koevermans...or we will never contract any crosses....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree 100%, Koev in front of Earnie has potential that I hope we will be able to see in the near future. I travelled to Montreal with my daughter, even travelling thru Toronto at 4pm and then having to endure the 401 detour by Mailtland, arriving in Montreal close to 1am it was worth it! Stopping at "OnRoutes" along 401 and seeing fellow TFC red jackets is like walking in and seeing family. The experience was great and if you're thinking about going next year I'd encourage you to go. Lets fill up our 10-15 upper bowl sections and again shun their "wave"!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the Dichio song on the feed.....loud and clear. To me, it was magic. I heard an argument about a month ago on the Guardian that away support is important in European/English football because they are the ones that sing.

If I was any team in MLS, I would actively encourage any close team to bring 1-3K of fans. This league can't buy the atmosphere that a large loud away support creates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Seriously? You ask such a question? Do you not know your TFC history???
    Looked forward and not in the past,this the only City who do thinks like this,when Koevermans score every week you here nobody alone stupid dichio song

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I live in Edmonton, ya fucking tool. 5,000 plus posts on here, everyone who counts knows that.

Here's a suggestion: attack someone's point, not how poorly they compare to your megafandom.

What a bunch of horseshit.
    U r right and the attack on yourself 'from behind a computer' is so hypocritical is laughable. You always have well thought out posts especially compared to your critics and I hope you continue your posts unlike the other Tfc 'fan'....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most football chants are rooted in history. Our club is young, and Dichio is our legacy. I won't even quote your statement here. You have crossed the line here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked forward and not in the past,this the only City who do thinks like this,when Koevermans score every week you here nobody alone stupid dichio song
    Oh my gosh...you are soo right.

Here I was thinking the chant had to do with the feeling the supporters had when that goal occurred, and how history and support is created by real moments of subtle glory like that, when all along the chant is just a chant about that one goal by that one player.

We are obviously defective in our chanting by doing something abnormal. I suggest you take this gross negligence of the highest order up with the chanting committee of the self appointed supporters standards board. Don't forget though, the application can only be done online, and you can't save the PDF you are working on (the self appointed supporters standards board is based in Seattle after all).

BTW, can I include the "Cowps is God" song with your application? Its about some guy who scored the goal that got a team their first ever trophy, but it happened in the 90's so its obviously wrong.

Oh, wait, that would mean TFC maybe isn't the only city that chants about past glories.

Don't worry tfc2008, we'll get to the bottom and solve this somehow.

Tell you what, in the meantime, why don't you just turn the sound down during that bit of the game, or just plug your ears. I know its not much, but at least it will probably help you cope with the injustice of it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Flat line all you want.

Hope is not worship. Your hyperbole is getting offensive.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just back from the game Sunday evening. My two cents:

I think it was a very entertaining game. Montreal were very lucky to go in at the break two goals in front. That was very flattering to them. I thought TFC controlled a lot of the game in the first half. Di Vaio's goal was well taken. Otherwise it was fairly even. The onlt worry seemed to be Morgan being out of position and giving Montreal way too much space. Nelson clearly realised that in the second half, though.

I thought Toronto came out well in the second half and made a good game of it. TFC probably deserved a point out of it, in my opinion. TFC looked much better when Russel came on.

I actually thought Bostock played poorly. He clearly has skills, but he overplays the ball too much. The things he did looked good against Kansas, but often didn't work at all against Montreal. He needed to be simple and tried to do too much over and over again. I can see when he's on his game, he's going to be very exciting, but when the same skills don't pay off, its not going to be cohesive. On saturday is was the latter.

I thought Ecks had a great game. The guy never gives up. I thought Dunfield had a fairly good game too. I don't understand the hate for him, he didn't do much wrong on Saturday. Lambe looked good too. Bendick continues to impress. He's very confident in dealing with the 6 yard box and balls into the area. I like Frei, but there's no need to drop Bendick on his current form.

I'm "quietly confident" that Nelson can find some success this season. There are obviously some areas that need improvement (Russel in place of Morgan? Bekker instead of Hall? Possibly somebody else up front to help Earnshaw, who is too small to control the final third on his own). Having Silva and Cesar back will give Nelson some good options. I think we genuinely only need possibly 2 new players, plus a fit Silva and Cesar, and we will be competative against most MLS teams).

Great atmosphere, fantastic support from all you guys. A very enjoyable weekend, and a good game, despite the loss, I can take a lot of positives from the game.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW TFC over 30's....

Califf- 33
    Dunfeild 31
    Earnshaw 33
    Julio Cesar 34
    Darel Rusell 32
    Kovermans 34

Personally I'd take Keene or Henry over Dunfield or Earnshaw anyday. Even as old as they are.
    I just can't disagree with much of what you're saying. Montreal was the better team Saturday night and dictated the pace for the majority of the 90 minutes. Sure, they didn't exactly set fire to the pitch, but we got outplayed. Offensively and defensively they were better organized, quicker on their feet, and just straight-up looked more confident out there on the turf.

The Impact are not world-beaters by any stretch, but we can't deny their current record. 3 straight wins - 2 of which were away, with 5 goals for and 2 against. Trust me, I don't like saying any of this. I can't fucking stand that team and it's shitty fans, but Saputo has definitely assembled a team that can contend, at least for the time being...

And that leads in to my second point. As others have pointed out (including our own John Leung) Montreal really looks like a team built to achieve very short-term gains and could find themselves up shit creek when their older core of players start breaking down.

Long story short: Montreal is the better team but that may not last. We're still bringing our squad together and we've yet to see the full potential from guys like Bostock, Earnshaw, Emphraim, etc.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.