Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post - Game 3: TFC @ Montreal, Sat 16 Mar 4pm

Let's do this! I want this win soooo bad!

Scouting:

Montreal @ Portland

--------------Perkins
    -Camara-Nesta-Ferrari-Brovsky
    -------------Bernier
    Nyassi--Martins--Arnaud--Pisanu
    -------------Di Vaio

-Montreal is 1st in Eastern Conference with 2 away wins at Seattle and Portland to start the season.
    -They've also had the 'advantage' of playing in 2 turf fields
    -Schillabaum has instilled a sense of belief in Montreal, evident by their character in away wins.
    -Montreal plays on the counter, using Bernier's passing as the outlet. May be more aggressive at home.
    -Montreal's set piece has improved, both on attack and defend, a key weakness last season.

Key players:
    -Marco di Vaio: Not only he can score, but he's got vision to bring his teammates into play. Underrated passer
    -Felipe Martins: Potential to be MLS MVP. Is learning to be a box to box mid.
    -Alessandro Nesta: So far, his legs are holding up to MLS play. And Montreal defence is hard to break down with him leading.

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preferred line-up:

---------------Bendik----------------

Eckersley---Califf---O'Dea---A.Morgan

-------Dunfield---------Bekker--------

----Ephraim----Bostock----Lambe-----

--------------Earnshaw---------------

I thought Ephraim had a good showing in his natural position, wide-left, back in Vancouver, but wasn't particularly effective when played more centrally (save for his pressuring/defensive contributions, which actually lead to the first goal). Whilst Lambe had a half-decent showing when played wide-right, in Vancouver, and improved on that when deployed wide-left. Bostock showed he's got tidy feet and is always looking to take defenders on and go forward, either by himself or with playing one-two passes. I think that it can sometimes be effective when wingers swap sides, as they are encouraged to come inside onto their favoured foot (both Bostock and Lambe did well, in this regard).. so, I would try Ephraim on the right, this time, keep Lambe on the left and give Bostock a shot in his natural position (he should be especially looking to impress, there, if/when given the chance); all three have put in a good shift(s), so I couldn't leave any of them out against Montreal -- let them get more familiar with each other, I say.

Russell and Cesar are surely better options to Dunfield, but being older, both lacking a bit of fitness and with Cesar recently coming off an injury, I don't think it wise to risk them on that wretched turf at The Big O. Perhaps Osorio can become a regular starter, but it's too early to throw him into a match of this magnitude (rivalry).. never mind any fitness concerns, having not yet played many minutes. Similarly, Silva is coming off injury and potentially lacking a bit of fitness; both he and Osorio can benefit from coming on as subs a few times, before getting the start (assuming the current starters don't shit the bed, in that time, forcing us to replace them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the highlights from the two Wins from Montreal... if you give them too much space they will take advantage. They have some speed like Vancouver.

Montreal also seems to give teams a fair bit of space both Portland and Seattle had a fair number of chances to bring the game back but couldn't.

I honestly see this as being not much different from playing Vancouver or SKC, if we pressure play high and take chances when we can I think a tie or even a win is in the realm of possibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be a really tough game. If we get anything out of it, great. But I have no expectations other than a well organized squad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YIPE! Two road wins in two very difficult venues to play in. It ain't gonna be easy goin' into the Big Ow. We gotsta BRING IT!!!!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to predict the squad for this game, I don't understand our injury situation as well as I would like to. Players like Cesar, Frei, Silva all need to get fit, also Bekker just getting over the Flu.

From a supporters stand point though we've gotta make this a home match for our boys. Sing the full '90.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo excited for this game in the old run down Olympic stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be a fun, but difficult game on Saturday. Hopefully we get a draw given Montreal has been playing well. Can't wait to go to Montreal to support the reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal coming out with 2 road wins (the one vs seattle was luck anyway), and I could see that TFC's confidence is also boost from the win vs SKC, this is going to be a real clash (hopefully).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If all of our players are match fit, this is what I would love to see...

-------------------Frei-------------------

Eckersley-----Califf-----O'Dea-----Morgan

-----------Cesar--------Bekker----------
    Bostock--------------------------Ephraim
    ------------------Silva------------------

----------------Earnshaw----------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If all of our players are match fit, this is what I would love to see...

-------------------Frei-------------------

Eckersley-----Califf-----O'Dea-----Morgan

-----------Cesar--------Bekker----------
    Bostock--------------------------Ephraim
    ------------------Silva------------------

----------------Earnshaw----------------
    Hall has surprised me. He had a decent first half in Vancouver and great game against SKC. I'd probably play him ahead of Bekker.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be awesome to walk out of there with a point.

EDIT: The ref for this game is none other than Baldomero Toledo, who hates TFC with a virtiolic passion unmatched by any other MLS ref. Unless he despises Montreal more, watch for our game to be upended/ruined/changed by a VERY controversial call, possibly involving a red card. the guy's a maniac.
    Last edited by DangerRed; 03-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    The ref for this game is none other than Baldomero Toledo
    FML, lets see how many card would he deal this time for TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he hates French Canadians more then English Canadians.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be fair, I think Toledo has calmed down his hate towards Toronto lately. I don't recall any red cards or PKs given against TFC in a long time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    to be fair, I think Toledo has calmed down his hate towards Toronto lately. I don't recall any red cards or PKs given against TFC in a long time
    Don't jinx it!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

He didn't red-card Toronto last time around, he was actually kind of sedate, but he is back in fine form as far as calls goes.

He was in charge during the Houston-DC match March 2, 32 fouls (!), 2 yellow cards, 1 PK(!).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He didn't red-card Toronto last time around, he was actually kind of sedate, but he is back in fine form as far as calls goes.

He was in charge during the Houston-DC match March 2, 32 fouls (!), 2 yellow cards, 1 PK(!).
    Considering that both our teams now have their fair share of players that embellish, this one could turn into an ugly affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock did excellently down the right against SKC. I'm not sure I want him moved elsewhere, since Lambe was far better down the left against SKC than he has been since preseason down the right. We could try Ephraim on the right I suppose, but I'd still rather go with what we know works. Also, giving Bostock more games down the right will get him even more comfortable there, and it frees up the CAM slot for when Silva becomes fully fit. That being said, here's what I'd like to see.

Bendik
    Eckersley---O'Dea---Califf---Morgan
    Julio Cesar-Bekker
    Bostock----------------Lambe
    Silva
    Earnshaw

Bendik starts regardless of Frei's fitness. Replace Cesar with Hall if he can't go. Replace Silva with Ephraim if he can't go. Not overly concerned with subs, but put Bennett on the bench.
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-11-2013 at 06:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Cesar is playing. Another plastic rock hard pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't think Cesar is playing. Another plastic rock hard pitch.
    I agree, it seams like they are going to hold him out until we play on grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting to see how the squad does.. i have somewhat high hopes for this team, even though i dont know the players too well.. what i have seen from everyone minus a defence hiccup has impressed me.. i think we can take this game, looking forward to it

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F**K if I know... but here's hoping for a spirited game in Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if it's worth starting Bennett or T. Morgan in this one.. Nesta and Ferrari are one of the best CB pairings in the league but they're old and slow. I could see them marking Earnshaw out of the game, but the younger strikers could burn them with pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earnshaw's pretty speedy himself, dude's got legs for a 31 year old.

Bennett is probably faster, but he's not smarter or a better finisher, and we'll need both of those to get a result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Earnshaw's pretty speedy himself, dude's got legs for a 31 year old.

Bennett is probably faster, but he's not smarter or a better finisher, and we'll need both of those to get a result.
    Those two points are why Earnshaw must get the start, over Bennett and then, later, we can bring Bennett on to exploit tired legs in their defence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Those two points are why Earnshaw must get the start, over Bennett and then, later, we can bring Bennett on to exploit tired legs in their defence.
    Agreed. Impact have an experienced back line. I think this is a game were TFC needs an experienced striker with some savvy for finding his way to the goal. It will be interesting to see how Earnshaw fairs. It's going to be a test for our offense to see how many quality chances we can create.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That horrible turf will be a minefield of turnovers and injuries.

Sorry to disappoint the travelling support, but if I'm Nelsen, I pack the box, hope to maybe get lucky on the counter, but don't count on it. Don't take chances. Play for the 0-0 result.

To go into the two week break with 4 points would be a huge high. (The upcoming break will be the real training camp, with the new players getting settled, which is Nelsen's actual focus, I would think).

Truth be told, the Galaxy game will be the real rollout of the new TFC.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Agreed. Impact have an experienced back line. I think this is a game were TFC needs an experienced striker with some savvy for finding his way to the goal. It will be interesting to see how Earnshaw fairs. It's going to be a test for our offense to see how many quality chances we can create.
    I think if we get a goal, Earnshaw is our best chance - to poach one on a turnover, bad pass, bounce on that plastic shit (just like 1st goal vs KC)...

As Ensco says, we'll probably be very conservative, pack the box and grind the game down - which is fine... Earnshaw can steal one if the chance comes up - pick off a pass or bounce and slot it home - the thing is, he may only get 1-chance, so he needs to take it!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Sorry to disappoint the travelling support, but if I'm Nelsen, I pack the box, hope to maybe get lucky on the counter, but don't count on it. Don't take chances. Play for the 0-0 result.
    Agreed. Some of the best managers in the world would aim for 0-0 in the same situation. Grind it out.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto