Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts:

1. Silva needs to be in this team. Ephraim is better suited to the wing.

2. Get Dunfield the hell out of our starting lineup. Absolutely no awareness of Arnaud's run in behind him, which led to the second goal. Can't play a proper ball forward, rash challenges, zero creativity. Get. Him. Out.

3. Far too many long balls to Earnshaw up front. He's not Koevermans, 80% of those balls we won't be getting back.

4. Not a horrible game all in all. Came out flying in the second half and were unlucky not to get a goal with Ephraim hitting the crossbar and Earnshaw coming close as well. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result, just a couple mistakes did us in. We have a break next week to get everyone fully fit (Julio Cesar and Silva especially) and organized, and probably will have the Argentinian DP in the team as well (with time to actually get settled before playing!). Considering this, and that we're playing at BMO, I have higher expectation for the Galaxy match than I did coming into this one.
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-16-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Thoughts:

1. Silva needs to be in this team. Ephraim is better suited to the wing.

2. Get Dunfield the hell out of our starting lineup. Absolutely no awareness of Arnaud's run in behind him, which led to the first goal. Can't play a proper ball forward, rash challenges, zero creativity. Get. Him. Out.

3. Far too many long balls to Earnshaw up front. He's not Koevermans, 80% of those balls we won't be getting back.

4. Not a horrible game all in all. Came out flying in the second half and were unlucky not to get a goal with Ephraim hitting the crossbar and Earnshaw coming close as well. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result, just a couple mistakes did us in. We have a break next week to get everyone fully fit (Julio Cesar and Silva especially) and organized, and probably will have the Argentinian DP in the team as well (with time to actually get settled before playing!). Considering this, and that we're playing at BMO, I have higher expectation for the Galaxy match than I did coming into this one.
    Samesies. I'm feeling pretty good ahead of LA, and mostly for similar reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it's Ecks contract when KP says at least one contract for sure will be renegotiated.
    It's good timing to have a week off so we can get some offensiv reinforcements.

Please let us never have to see Hall and Dunfield at CM again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more than OK.

We were an absolute shambles last year. This year, with a pretty screwed up training camp (new coach and 100% turnover in key players, none of them here for most/all of it) we got 3 points in first three games (same as three draws) and we were in every game.

Training camp proper starts tomorrow. We'll see where we are in two weeks.

Everyone in Montreal, enjoy your evening. I say there's quite a bit to be optimistic about.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva and Cesar should be in for LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Frei still injured?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is Frei still injured?
    He was probably ready to go today, but he'll definitely be ready in two weeks' time for the Galaxy. Don't know if I'd start him though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a very good game at all, but a hell of alot better than last season's cow dung. Dunfield, is useless. Hall is hardly any better. I would rather have Bendik in goal than Frei at this point. I've seen enough to say he's the #1 for the rest of the season.

The game was predictable from the moment I saw the lineup, Montreal were prepared to deal with Robert Earnshaw by playing a 4-1-4-1 and Bernier in front of the back 4. Montreal, in the end had the more experienced striker to score on goal and with Earnshaw's contribution minimized there's clearly noone else on TFC's lineup to be able to score. There was basically only one striker playing today and it was DiVaio.

As far as the comment by Payne as to a contract being renegotiated, its clearly Koeverman's. He's practically useless at this point and will be renegotiated and released. Koeverman's and Frings IMO were expected to leave if they weren't in the lineup at the start of the season, Frings is gone and now Koevermans is gone by mid-season.
    Last edited by [NBF]; 03-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Dunfield played worse than usual, there is just more quality around him now and he's not able to contribute at that level.

Ecks performed at a very high level today, incredible work rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm being honest, with the exception of his play on the second goal, Dunfield performed fairly admirably today. Made some nice passes, a slide or two, and was aggressive in the right way. And Eckersley was far and away our best defender hands down. He was ALL OVER the field, on defence and offence, and held his ground well. Notice that all of the goals came from areas other than his own. I don't know why people are calling him out today. He was probably our best player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our best player was Earnshaw; he needs service. Heard that before somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    And Eckersley was far and away our best defender hands down. He was ALL OVER the field, on defence and offence, and held his ground well. Notice that all of the goals came from areas other than his own. I don't know why people are calling him out today. He was probably our best player.
    LOLOLOLOLOL Giving up 1001 fouls for no reason in all areas of the pitch is not = to good defending. I don't know if he has an inferiority complex or what, but he seems to foul players for the hell of it.

IMO Ephraim was our best player today. But we NEED better wingers. Bostock is getting crowded out on the right (since he can't do anything with he right foot, all they have to do is keep him outside), and Lambe's attacking instinct is pathetic. I want to see Bostock either as the second striker, or on the left.
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 03-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to think Cesar and Silva will be in there, and eventually Bekker should work his way into the starting lineup. We're stuck with Morgan for a while it seems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm more than OK.

We were an absolute shambles last year. This year, with a pretty screwed up training camp (new coach and 100% turnover in key players, none of them here for most/all of it) we got 3 points in first three games (same as three draws) and we were in every game.

Everyone in Montreal, enjoy your evening. I say there's quite a bit to be optimistic about.
    Great perspective. I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm more than OK.

Totally agree. With the mini-training camp and a bunch of new players things are looking up. I am afraid that Dunfield, Morgan and Lambe may be on the outside looking in by the end of the two weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Dunfield had some positives, however, if this team wants to make the playoffs, which call me crazy but I think is a realistic goal for this team,players like Dunfield, Hall have no bussiness being starters, these are players that can be usefull coming off the bench not starters, if this team continues to use these guys as starters then forget about playoffs or any kind of winning type season, it aint going to happen with guys like this being starters I'm sorry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    We're stuck with Morgan for a while it seems.
    I don't want to replace Morgan, but I think we should start Russell ahead of him next game to give him a kick in the ass. Russell looked quite composed at RB after he came on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield also sold the ref on the foul in the box that led to the penalty and our only goal.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    Dunfield also sold the ref on the foul in the box that led to the penalty and our only goal.
    "Sold?" This ref is a fucking maniac. There were 30+ fouls booked, I don't know how many cards and TWO PENALTIES. When's the last time you've seen a game with two penalties handed out and thought, "oh, this looks normal, happens all the time?" If Terry didn't get fouled, Toledo would've just found some other excuse for a red card or a game-changer.

Toledo is a scourge on this league. He is to refereeing what Terry Dunfield is to winning - antithesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have improved alot from last year, but Montreal have grown form last year, and are ahead of us. TFC had opportunites in the second half but it had alot to do, with Nesta not playing and Camara clealrin ghte ball poorely on more then one occassion.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ecks is a crazy fucking hothead, but if what he says is true and the Limpact coach was hiding the ball behind his back, that's outrageous.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...-march-16-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgan needs to be on the bench. Not only did he give up the penalty today due to awful defending, all he seemingly does (from the last 3 games) is either boot the ball to nowhere or lose it whenever he tries to do something with it. His lack of technical skill isn't made up for by any kind of exceptional athleticism either, as he isn't notably faster, stronger or better in the air than other players.

That said, I agree with the general sentiment here that we look a lot better than what we started as and seem to be improving. Having Cesar and Silva back in the midfield I think will help a lot, as we we'll likely get some balls in to Earnshaw that aren't hoofers. I mean come on, after like the 10th long ball that gets cleared easily, surely the players should realize Earnshaw's not going to be winning those headers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going to mention the negatives. We could have come away with at least a point. Outside od DiVaio's goal Montrela did not create anything. I believe we carried the play in the second half and did not give up at all. We just ran out of time. We were the better team even with Hall and Dunfiled in central midfield. Bringing on Russell and Bekker improved the game as well. Hopefully reinforcements will arrive. I am excited by what I have seen so far. Our goaltending has been fantastic thus far too. Until he plays poorly I think he should continue to start. Eckersly has not played well in my view. Out of position too much and scrambling always to get back. Creates too many easy fouls. The ex-EPL players brought in have a much better composure and you can tell they are a step above. Biggest hole is central midfield. To state the obvious we need a player there to help link the play. Earnshaw and Ehpraima are not getting service. When O'dea continually hoofed the ball to Earnshaw he just gave up possession 100% of the time. No one in central mid was asking for the ball. I think Dunfiled is playing better than last year, but he is a squad player at best in this league. Hall does not belong. Morgan needs to sit and earn a spot. He is always poorly positioned, clumsy fouls, etc. if he was playing in Europe he would be eating elbows all day. Russell should be starting ahead of Hall, Dunfield, and Morgan. Otherwise why was he signed? Today he showed he is a step above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    "Sold?" This ref is a fucking maniac. There were 30+ fouls booked, I don't know how many cards and TWO PENALTIES. When's the last time you've seen a game with two penalties handed out and thought, "oh, this looks normal, happens all the time?" If Terry didn't get fouled, Toledo would've just found some other excuse for a red card or a game-changer.

Toledo is a scourge on this league. He is to refereeing what Terry Dunfield is to winning - antithesis.
    Yes. Sold. Dunfield was the guy on our team who managed to work the ref into giving us a penalty. That is the reality of today. You want to assume someone else was going to get a penalty for TFC? That's up to you. Dunfield was the guy who actually did it. I applaud him for it.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just home from the game. All in all not a terrible game for early in the season and against a pretty good experienced squad as well.

O well ... only 1 goal in the game from the "run of play" and 2 directly from the referee's decisions. Lets hope that changes.
    Last edited by Mark in Ottawa; 03-17-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: watched highlights again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally think that Dunfield and Hall are good options in the 75+ minute for closing out a game (if you're into the whole sit back and defend with 11 men thing. Personally I prefer to do what Montreal did today). Dunfield can be used as an extra hard worker to clog up the midfield, and Hall as a RM sub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Watch it again. Iachino tugs the back of his jersey slightly and Terry goes down like the Hindenberg in a match factory.
    Why don't you basement dwellers lay off Dunfield? If you were real fans you would have been here with the other 4,000 of us and actually watched the game in real time and seen the shift he put in. Instead you come crawling out from under your rocks and abuse him online. Give us a break why don't you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    Why don't you basement dwellers lay off Dunfield? If you were real fans you would have been here with the other 4,000 of us and actually watched the game in real time and seen the shift he put in. Instead you come crawling out from under your rocks and abuse him online. Give us a break why don't you.
    clearly you don't know that jloome lives in Alberta. and calling out people cuz they can't make the trip to Montreal for whatever reason? give me a break

-a guy who was at the Big O
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ecks is a crazy fucking hothead, but if what he says is true and the Limpact coach was hiding the ball behind his back, that's outrageous.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...-march-16-2013
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...t-game-scuffle

well, words were exchanged between Ecks and Schallibaum
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to let old Toledo off the hook, but some of the players in this league need to have their heads checked, which is part of what makes it so difficult to call. If we had a quality foreign official come over here and call the game to a english / european / whatever standard, he'd barely be able to take the whistle out of his mouth there would be so many fouls. There's just incredible amounts of clutching, grabbing, and obstruction going on at all points of the game. The real core issue is officiating consistency, Toledo clearly has his own standard as do various other guys around the league. MLS has nobody to blame but themselves for this, they barely put any money into the function.