Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    West Ham and former Chelsea striker Carlton Cole, 29, linked to MLS. Out of contract this summer. Has been linked for months now. 7 England caps
    I think he'll do quite well for anyone needing a strong no. 9. I'd take him here for sure at his age.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juan Agudelo traded to New England from Chivas USA for allocation
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juan Agudelo traded to New England from Chivas USA for allocation
    Very surprising, thought he was starting to get some traction at CUSA until he got injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Very surprising, thought he was starting to get some traction at CUSA until he got injured.
    contract up this year. doesn't look to re-sign with MLS for now
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA Galaxy going after Giovani Dos Santos with MLS record contract

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/06/...xy-santos.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ding-la-galaxy

It looks like the Galaxy are taking a run at Gio Dos Santos. That's a type of player Toronto should be looking at; creative guy, good on the wings, but whatever...

EDIT: Crap, beat me to it!
    Last edited by Red I; 06-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that the Mexican League being shown on TV down in the States is affecting how certain teams are thinking. He's a good player and all but is he really a top notch DP worthy player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I get the feeling that the Mexican League being shown on TV down in the States is affecting how certain teams are thinking. He's a good player and all but is he really a top notch DP worthy player?

It depends on your definition - If by DP you mean equitable talent compared to salary, then hell to the no. If you believe included in that salary is the generated exposure, marketing, publicity, and general buzz created when a specific player is chosen that helps to boost all these things, and helps to build your brand, the league, gives you lucrative TV deals domestically and overseas, then the question becomes a lot more loaded.

Like anything, things are priced based on what people are willing to pay (for the most part). If LA is willing to "overpay" it's because there are more intangibles at play in the decision; it's worth it to them because of long term benefits, and likely a boost in ratings & interest, which will eventually translate into revenue - the "on the pitch" advertising cost (like the led signs, the billboards, the beside the net faux-painted billboards) would skyrocket, probably due to interest from Mexican corporations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that the Mexican League being shown on TV down in the States is affecting how certain teams are thinking.
    This is true; i think the fear is teams choosing building a brand over building a winning team. Well, if there's anyone who seems to get things right, it is Bruce Arena. It took time when Becks came over, and he's a seasoned pro, understanding his role, and being flexible to where he best fits into the team. Might be a different sort of challenge with Dos Santos though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be.

Could also explain why we're paying guys like Eckersley and O'Dea what we are paying them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Could be.

Could also explain why we're paying guys like Eckersley and O'Dea what we are paying them.
    No, i think they did outperform everyone else in the last little while - the FO should have understood that in football terms, being the best players on TFC doesn't really say much in the grand scheme of things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    No, i think they did outperform everyone else in the last little while - the FO should have understood that in football terms, being the best players on TFC doesn't really say much in the grand scheme of things
    Yes..but what I meant was that the fact that so many people that follow TFC are followers of the game from the U.K. makes it palatable to be way overpaying for guys like O'Dea and Eckersley.

If we were spending 700k on two players from anywhere else in the world and they were performing the way those two are, there'd be people screaming bloody murder about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DCU Acquire D Alain Rochat from the Shitecaps.

As per MLS twitter account.

Caps receive 2015 2nd rounder + 2016 conditional pick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's it?!? Sounds like a steal to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Yes..but what I meant was that the fact that so many people that follow TFC are followers of the game from the U.K. makes it palatable to be way overpaying for guys like O'Dea and Eckersley.

If we were spending 700k on two players from anywhere else in the world and they were performing the way those two are, there'd be people screaming bloody murder about it.
    I agree that these two players are way overpaid and they're examples of previous management mess ups! I would say O'Dea is currently most overrated player on this roster. Great guy, but he doesn't really bring anything special to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That's it?!? Sounds like a steal to me
    We sure can use him! BTW: DC United has 4 Canadian players on their roster (probably all of them are starters as well). Since when Washington D.C. turned into a Canadian city? lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    We sure can use him! BTW: DC United has 4 Canadian players on their roster (probably all of them are starters as well). Since when Washington D.C. turned into a Canadian city? lol
    Rochat is Canadian? By birth I suppose but...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rochat is Canadian? By birth I suppose but...
    gone too soon, yesterday the whitecaps lost O'Brian to a muscle injury and shit away 3 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ They can blame Martain Rennie and his core of USL players for that. This guy is being saved by players he's trying to push out of the team and being gulled by his own stalwarts.

Early last year they had enough talent to be a second round playoff team and they readily disassembled that for Rennie to bring in his own guys, who have been terrible. Kenny Miller is somehow considered a revelation this year, but he has to be one of the worst DP strikers I have seen come through this league. He's like a Mista the coach is sandbagged to because it's his guy.

edit: of course Kenny Miller would win MLS POTW right after I post this
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-17-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the rumored deal for Frei feel through the Union have signed sign Oka Nikolov formerly of Eintract Frankfurt
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ov-provide-men

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    War of 1812 perhaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how many people check this thread, I'm tempted to post it in the Toronto section just to get more of an opinion but...

Apparently was a record goal scorer for Northwestern University, never got an MLS contract now he's some sort of accountant. Think this will catch the eyes of any MLS scouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the second coming of weedman...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver's Caleb Clarke is out on loan to FC Augsburg, same team as Marcel DeJong. Positive things going on in Vancouver. Surprisingly, not a single player has made the jump to the senior team since Stuart Neely left TFCA. Does anyone think he was responsible for the success of Morgan, Cordon, Henry, Attakora, Stinson, Makubuya, Lindsay, and Roberts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ As far as I know, the reviews on Neely were mixed. He wasn't setting the world on fire, but wasn't a bad coach either. Darren Bent gets a lot of credit for that early development push as well.

We got a little bit lucky at the start in that Henry, Morgan, and Lindsay were all physically ready to jump straight to the MLS level. Football wise, they still had a lot to learn, but in the academy's defense, they weren't with the team long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success of Morgan, Cordon, Attakora, Stinson, Makubuya, Lindsay, Roberts??? All of the bolded are nowhere to be found aside from Attakora who's trying to play in SJ still. Roberts may be the only one that lasts because he doesn't ever get to play with the first team. Everyone know's the book on the Morgan and he is continuously exposed at the MLS level. All of these players need playing time elsewhere to improve and should never have been brought up.

Vancouver is at least loaning their players looking to get them that opportunity.

In unrelated news, FCD has signed Mauro Diaz from River Plate. Young winger I believe, not really a goalscorer but he has decent assist totals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I LOVE how they have a picture of Messi on their home page with the caption Argentine midfielder will meet with team officials this week. Cheeky bastards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Salvador National Team member and attacking midfielder, Jaime Alas, on loan from Rosenborg to San Jose Earthquakes until the end of December. Good player.