Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Montreal signs Hernan Bernardello as a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Success of Morgan, Cordon, Attakora, Stinson, Makubuya, Lindsay, Roberts??? All of the bolded are nowhere to be found aside from Attakora who's trying to play in SJ still. Roberts may be the only one that lasts because he doesn't ever get to play with the first team. Everyone know's the book on the Morgan and he is continuously exposed at the MLS level. All of these players need playing time elsewhere to improve and should never have been brought up.

Vancouver is at least loaning their players looking to get them that opportunity.

In unrelated news, FCD has signed Mauro Diaz from River Plate. Young winger I believe, not really a goalscorer but he has decent assist totals.
    Lindsay is playing in the csl for Burlington SC. As for the others, i have no idea. I remember TFC talking about helping youngsters find new clubs and bla bla bla, looks like they aren't doing anything, which isn't surprising.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is strange - ex Oxford full back Damien Batt tweets that he's going to playing for the Whitecaps?!:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/ox...top_for_Batt_/

I saw him play a number of times for Oxford. He was inconsistent, I would say (and that's at Conference and League 2 level). His crossing was consistently bad (he always makes th wrong decision, either playing the ball far too short or overhitting crosses, a bit like Asthone Morgan does regularly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The little brother of Shaun Wright-Phillips has signed with RBNY.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...right-phillips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-franchises-f

Wow, great pick up by the Rapids if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal has signed for Wigan Athletic defender Adrian Lopez Rodriguez. He's only 26!!! I thought the requirement was 32+ to play on that back line?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...opez-rodriguez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Galcarep just tweeted that the deal is being finalized. He's a good player. It'll be good for the league. The more talent, the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't Dempsey have to go through allocation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Doesn't Dempsey have to go through allocation?
    Apparently if the player is coming in as a DP and no other team has rights or discovery claims, then it doesn't go through allocation process. Difference with Herc Gomez when there was talk of him going to Seattle was that KC still holds his rights.

Rulez - MLS has em'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the allocation order a discover claim? Isn't that the whole point of the allocation process?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the rules:

"The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee. The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day when the discovery period opens in December. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2012 season, taking playoff performance into account."

Dempsey is a U.S. national. He should be acquired in accordance with the allocation order according to the rules. Same process as when we signed Agbossoumonde through the allocation order when we were first. In this case, Portland should have first dibs.

I'm hearing rumors and unsourced comments that the above rule for U.S. nationals doesn't apply when the player joining MLS is being given a D.P. contract. But that's nowhere in the league rules and has never even been mentioned before today. It's pretty simple, Garber wants Dempsey to go to Seattle so he's making it happen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    From the rules:

"The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee. The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day when the discovery period opens in December. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2012 season, taking playoff performance into account."

Dempsey is a U.S. national. He should be acquired in accordance with the allocation order according to the rules. Same process as when we signed Agbossoumonde through the allocation order when we were first. In this case, Portland should have first dibs.

I'm hearing rumors and unsourced comments that the above rule for U.S. nationals doesn't apply when the player joining MLS is being given a D.P. contract. But that's nowhere in the league rules and has never even been mentioned before today. It's pretty simple, Garber wants Dempsey to go to Seattle so he's making it happen.
    Are you sure Dempsy isn't the one who wants to go to Seattle?
    either way, you are right, Garber is making this happen, as he should. If a player of that caliber wants to come to this league, then you do what you can to make it happen, even if it means re-writting the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the numbers I'm seeing are true, they are astronomical for MLS. $9 million transfer fee and $8 million a year salary for 4 years. Only a few owners can pull off a transaction like that (MLSE one of them?) so obviously the transfer rules are going to get finessed. The question is did the Timbers get compensated for what would have been their pick in the allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ if they didn't or don't I think we need to start rallying against this.

The comish has no right to make these desisions. Fuck at that rate we might as not play any games and just have him hand pick the final.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comish has no right to make these desisions. Fuck at that rate we might as not play any games and just have him hand pick the final.
    you're assuming that it is indeed Garber making this decision.

there are so many unknown rules (and stuff gets made up on the fly without press release)... for all we know, this American DP rule might actually be part of original DP rule

but yeah, lack of full disclosure of rules are annoying
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a landmark signing for MLS. Beckham contributed to MLS 2.0. This is 3.0 where we are competing with top league clubs for acquisitions in their prime with a big transfer fees.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dempsey transfer fee rumoured at 9 mil and 4 yr contract at 8 mil/yr
    Serious dosh
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to think Clint could be making his Sounders debut at BMO Field next Saturday night. On a real note this type of signing is a real game changer for the MLS. Bringing home a USMNT star in his prime from a top 5 league is huge.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    And to think Clint could be making his Sounders debut at BMO Field next Saturday night. On a real note this type of signing is a real game changer for the MLS. Bringing home a USMNT star in his prime from a top 5 league is huge.
    Guess when the league does not show in the champions league final four they can no longer be assured of top 4 status.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    no way it'll be like Beckham...Dempsey's papers won't get the ok till a day after Seattles game here and he'll debut in some important american city.....this is the our life.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good bit of business by SSFC. Gives those 45K people coming to games a solid reason to re-up after a relatively poor season so far.

It may encourage higher spending by the owners who can do it, so we may see some more players in top leagues willing to consider playing in MLS.

MLS is increasingly thinking about the next tv contract negotiations, that's at the root of the expansion movement I think. It may push expansion of DP slots or a change to some other method of regulating top level, market rate player contracts. Since the tv ratings have been shit, MLS needs to show some other good reasons to demand the kind of money MLS wants to get.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ve-to-seattle/

Hrm. Goff thinks Seattle is #2 in allocation order

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yeah Seattle is 2nd in allocation. But Portland is #1. There's no way Portland would say no and allow Seattle to grab him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The allocation process is a ranking order similar to a draft order for those players who come to MLS outside the MLS Super Draft, who are not 'discovered' or who are not Designated Players. Generally, similar to the Draft order, the allocation order is based on a ranking of the previous year's performance. The most recent example of a player joining MLS through the allocation process was the signing of Carlos Bocanegra by Chivas USA. Toronto FC was first on the allocation ranking order and therefore Chivas had to make a trade with Toronto to acquire his rights.

He is a DP so he can sign with any team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    The allocation process is a ranking order similar to a draft order for those players who come to MLS outside the MLS Super Draft, who are not 'discovered' or who are not Designated Players. Generally, similar to the Draft order, the allocation order is based on a ranking of the previous year's performance. The most recent example of a player joining MLS through the allocation process was the signing of Carlos Bocanegra by Chivas USA. Toronto FC was first on the allocation ranking order and therefore Chivas had to make a trade with Toronto to acquire his rights.

He is a DP so he can sign with any team
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...cation-process

That explains why he does not have to go to the Allocation process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ besides a the explanation that was just released. I would like to see in the MLS rules where is says that. It doesn't. It doesn't say anything about DPs don't have to go through the allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee. The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day when the discovery period opens in December. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2012 season, taking playoff performance into account.

Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded, provided that part of the compensation received in return is the other club’s ranking. At all times, each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS League season."

Taken from the MLS site. Where does it say DP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee. The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day when the discovery period opens in December. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2012 season, taking playoff performance into account.

Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded, provided that part of the compensation received in return is the other club’s ranking. At all times, each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS League season."

Taken from the MLS site. Where does it say DP?

We all know they are making up the rules as they go along...

Stop acting surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah its about the closest legal thing you can get to match fixing, still very bush league. As the popularity of the league grows more people should start demanding the full disclosure of rules and the "Magic Money Rule" in particular. I suspect if that day comes allocation money will be phased out till then.