Page 66 of 288 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I believe it's a combination of all three.
    You be right, the biggest is the mental breakdown, panic, just try and lump it up field, with the opposition pressing real hard.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    TFC just tweeted.

#TFClive Training Update: Brazilian centre back Gleison Pinto dos Santos, who goes by Santos, is currently on trial with the Reds.
    Interesting. Brazilians are not noted for their defense, but who knows?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diego Forlan apparently would love to play in MLS. Kevin Payne said he's chasing an AM. (Forlan now plays more of an AM role instead of striker)

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n2985236.htm

He would love to play in THE UNITED STATES. Toronto, as of today, is in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go in for Kenwyne Jones I hear he's not to happy with his teammates today

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Don't see it as significant. Most people outside of North America lump us in with the Americans, and besides, if you play in MLS, you will be spending almost half your time in the United States. A lot of players talk about coming to Toronto as coming to America.

It drives us Canadians nuts, but it's reality... and in fact our cultures are closer than most. Take away the U.S. guns and our free healthcare, and we start to look a lot alike.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many SA's and Europeans call Canada Norte Americanos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Don't see it as significant. Most people outside of North America lump us in with the Americans, and besides, if you play in MLS, you will be spending almost half your time in the United States. A lot of players talk about coming to Toronto as coming to America.

It drives us Canadians nuts, but it's reality... and in fact our cultures are closer than most. Take away the U.S. guns and our free healthcare, and we start to look a lot alike.
    Before last night, you could have added "mayors that smoke crack" to the list of things that differentiate us from the US.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny because I met someone and asked if they were German, they answered 'No, Austrian' they were not impressed when I said 'well, same thing anyway right?'
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    it is not a loan, he just initally signed a short term contract with the Reds. Come July 1 the two parties will have to come together on a new agreement or move on.
    Nope, loan. The confusion is because it was initially misreported as a short term deal, but later clarified to be indeed be a loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great, going after another cb. Surely we need more cb's and not fix our biggest problem which is the midfield

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benficachop20 View Post
    great, going after another cb. Surely we need more cb's and not fix our biggest problem which is the midfield
    Exactly what I said but if it is true that they have their eye on a possible big time creative MF for July then this is fine. A waste probably but fine. If our post-July midfield consists of Laba, new AM guy they talk of, Hall, and Convey or even Osorio then I am good with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but a lot of South and Central Americans refer to TFC as playing in United States,lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Nope, loan. The confusion is because it was initially misreported as a short term deal, but later clarified to be indeed be a loan.
    It was a short term deal as of July 1 he is out of contract.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Many SA's and Europeans call Canada Norte Americanos.
    Yep, it's also sometimes broadly referred to as "America" as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It was a short term deal as of July 1 he is out of contract.
    ... Did you read the tweet I linked? I know his contract ends July 1st. But his contract is with Cardiff, not us. He's being loaned to us right now. We'll need to sign him permanently if we want to keep him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're saying that TFC doesn't need better defense?
    I have to admit I'm interested into why he's doing this as well. I thought proportionately the backline is way ahead of the midfield and forwards in terms of it's standard of play.

I think our number one problem is that nobody respects us going forward, so our defending just leads to more defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about having a look at Randy Edwini-Bonsu and Adam Straith? Both are young domestic players who are not getting their contracts renewed by their 2. Bundesliga clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I have to admit I'm interested into why he's doing this as well. I thought proportionately the backline is way ahead of the midfield and forwards in terms of it's standard of play.

I think our number one problem is that nobody respects us going forward, so our defending just leads to more defending.
    CB is also the position that benefits most from chemistry and familiarity. I'd rather we identify who we want as our starting CBs going forward and tough it out with them. The more they play together the better they'll get. I don't know if O'Dea and Boss are those CBs for Payne, but I know they aren't Caldwell and Santos.

I don't mind immediate help but there are other areas I think are more deserving and would be less harmed hiring mercenaries of sorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    It's funny because I met someone and asked if they were German, they answered 'No, Austrian' they were not impressed when I said 'well, same thing anyway right?'
    Try telling Nelsen that you like his Aussie accent. Kiwis hate it when people think they're Australian.

And TFC does play in the United states. It's where we play the vast majority of our away games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... Did you read the tweet I linked? I know his contract ends July 1st. But his contract is with Cardiff, not us. He's being loaned to us right now. We'll need to sign him permanently if we want to keep him.
    FWIW, his Wikipedia profile says:

"On 28 February 2013, Earnshaw confirmed he had left Cardiff City to join Canadian club Toronto FC"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Earnshaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

"On 28 February 2013, Earnshaw confirmed he had left Cardiff City to join Canadian club Toronto FC"

For the last time, Earnshaw himself said his contract with Cardiff is up July 1st. It's a loan, end of story.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

Wikipedia is not a source that is infallible as anyone can edit it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What about having a look at Randy Edwini-Bonsu and Adam Straith? Both are young domestic players who are not getting their contracts renewed by their 2. Bundesliga clubs.
    Before we even suggest doing stuff like this again just ask yourself, "If this player was from England would I want him?". If the answer is no then he isn't worth getting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the last time, Earnshaw himself said his contract with Cardiff is up July 1st. It's a loan, end of story.
    Do you have a link or video clip of him saying it?

I've looked at some more articles, and I do not see the term "loan" be used. From Toronto FC site:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/03...obert-earnshaw

"Toronto FC announced Friday the club has signed Welsh International striker Robert Earnshaw."

and:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8530348/?

"I leave with a heavy heart from Cardiff city. I hope we created memories and I tried to give everything I had when I played. I will remember the journey that we went through."

By the sounds of that quote, it certainly doesn't sound like he'll ever play for Cardiff City again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Bonsu at the right price, couldn't comment on straith. Have to expect both these guys are staying in Europe though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonsu could be intriguing but I wouldn't say Straith is MLS bench quality. The Academy should have some precedent to fill out the squad instead of euro rejects, it carries financial incentive as well.

Earnshaw is not on loan, he is on a TFC deal in which TFC has an option to extend. Payne has said this in early season interviews. He left Cardiff on a free transfer, so if there was contract time remaining we just assumed that salary or re-negotiated the terms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before we even suggest doing stuff like this again just ask yourself, "If this player was from England would I want him?". If the answer is no then he isn't worth getting.
    What does this even mean? What does being from England have to do with looking at young domestic players? I would like less overpaid british/irish players on this team.

And this team is bringing in a 31 year old central defender from the second division in England so why not look at a 22 year old central defender from the second division in Germany who wont take up an international spot?
    Last edited by Greatest Ripoff; 05-18-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What does this even mean? What does being from England have to do with looking at young domestic players? I would like less overpaid british/irish players on this team.

And this team is bringing in a 31 year old central defender from the second division in England so why not look at a 22 year old central defender from the second division in Germany who wont take up an international spot?
    What it means is that we shouldn't get caught up in overpaying for Euro based Canucks. Ask yourself if they were a different nationality (I picked England because it seems to be the country that gets the most hate here) because if this player's best quality is his nationality then we should look elsewhere. And for domestics I'd look to Americans because they can be had for cheaper. No more "home town discounts" like we had with DeGuz and Gerba. Canadians always seem to expect more money to play at home. Bernier excepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for domestics I'd look to Americans because they can be had for cheaper. No more "home town discounts" like we had with DeGuz and Gerba. Canadians always seem to expect more money to play at home. Bernier excepted.
    It has little to do with them being Canadian and more to do with who was negotiating the contracts. All the way down the list, who wasn't overpaid? EVERYBODY was getting too much when Mo Johnston was the guy in charge. Under Winter / Mariner we still overpaid, but just a few guys as opposed to a lot of them.

As for the English thing, I'll take talent from anywhere but you have to acknowledge that it's the most expensive market in world football. Combine that with the work restrictions that are in place that have a greater impact at the lower levels and it makes it a less than perfect place for a MLS team to search for talent. If something great shows up that's fine, but otherwise no point of swimming against the tide.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What it means is that we shouldn't get caught up in overpaying for Euro based Canucks. Ask yourself if they were a different nationality (I picked England because it seems to be the country that gets the most hate here) because if this player's best quality is his nationality then we should look elsewhere. And for domestics I'd look to Americans because they can be had for cheaper. No more "home town discounts" like we had with DeGuz and Gerba. Canadians always seem to expect more money to play at home. Bernier excepted.
    Canadians SHOULD be cheaper, they can't play in the US as domestics so all else being equal they should come at a discount.