Page 62 of 288 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 8618
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I'd love Joaquin at Toronto FC. Perfect, fast winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm thinking the older DP is going to be somebody playing currently in Spain, and I'm thinking that's where the creative part will come from.

Look at 29 - 33 year old non Defensive Middies at Barca or Real. It would cost us a mint for Iniesta so I'm thinking not him. Although he would be by a mile the best player EVER in this league.

The younger DP I think is going to be a forward, from somewhere else.
    Kaka?

Been to BMO before so he's had a tour. Career not exactly budding anymore. He said previously MLS would be an option....one day.

It's a stretch but you mentioned Spain and he's the first name that comes to mind.

Half-joking here, but Toronto's Portuguese-speaking community would almost instantly fix any drop in ticket sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would be shocked if TFC land a "big name" DP this year. Maybe next year or couple of years we might see a major superstar signing. But then again, you never know especially now that Leiweke is running MLSE.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I personally would be shocked if TFC land a "big name" DP this year. Maybe next year or couple of years we might see a major superstar signing. But then again, you never know especially now that Leiweke is running MLSE.

That's why I threw it out as speculation.

Leiweke looking to make a splash.

Payne already indicated value can be had in Spain with players leaving the top teams, and among South American based players who used to go home.

And with the discussion of "the best player in this league" I'm thinking a player who has played at the top level of Europe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See guys like Kaka and Joaquin are good and definitely would help us on the pitch and in the stands but going by his comments I think Lieweke is looking bigger than that. The Beckham thing was what it was but they won a few trophies, filled stadiums even on international tours, and became the only MLS team people in foreign countries can name if asked. I think Lieweke is beyond our old thinkings of filling the stadium being job #1. I think Liweke's main agenda with TFC will be making the club a known commodity in world football, to sell millions of jerseys worldwide, and get our TV viewership up and thusly our revenue from advertising up as well. Guys like Kaka and Joaquin are great players but they don't have that kind of rock star clout and that is what I expect Lieweke to want. I guess it may all depend on whether Payne wants that or if he can be coerced into obliging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that there is all this effort to close out matches with these new players, in TFC fashion, we'll never have the lead to defend in the first place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Now that there is all this effort to close out matches with these new players, in TFC fashion, we'll never have the lead to defend in the first place.
    We will beat the Crew this weekend. For sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Guys like Kaka and Joaquin are great players but they don't have that kind of rock star clout and that is what I expect Lieweke to want. I guess it may all depend on whether Payne wants that or if he can be coerced into obliging.
    Anything is possible. The Phil Jackson to the Raps thing won't go away for the same reason - Leiweke.

L.A. was a bit of a different beast, though. The whole club played well, with and without Beckham. If the world did tune in to watch, they saw a team win. If a real "megastar" comes here in some grand plan, the rest of the squad better not be human pylons.

In the meantime, who else can we scalp from QPR?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Anything is possible. The Phil Jackson to the Raps thing won't go away for the same reason - Leiweke.

L.A. was a bit of a different beast, though. The whole club played well, with and without Beckham. If the world did tune in to watch, they saw a team win. If a real "megastar" comes here in some grand plan, the rest of the squad better not be human pylons.

In the meantime, who else can we scalp from QPR?
    But right before they got Becky they were just standard MLS shite. They weren't even good in his first season. Having that name and brand power brought in the rest of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a very secured source-TFC is arfter KAKA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But right before they got Becky they were just standard MLS shite. They weren't even good in his first season. Having that name and brand power brought in the rest of the team.
    That's somewhat accurate, but not completely. They were the first team in the league to be profitable, most consistent attendance wise, and by many other ways ahead of the rest of the pack. Obviously Beckham gave thema huge push, but you never would of had success like that in the wrong market. It was a perfect storm. There isn't a player on earth who would gather that much media attention if signed currently. Every major media outlet in the united states had it as their top story and they were hounding the guy from the second he touched down in the airport. They were running with that as live coverage the second it happened. They couldn't create the effect with Messi or Ronaldo or anyone, because they don't transcend sport the way Beckham does. It would be big news, but it would fall far short of beckham attention wise.

To add to that prior to MLS Beckham wasn't exactly a hot commodity either. He was considered every bit as much of a wash-out as Kaka is currently, if not worse. Completely disagree that the Brazilian isn't in the global brand ambassador mold. He has 10M followers on twitter (more than any other footballer at the time he hit the mark) and he provides updates in three different language. Has a loyal fanbase with somewhat of a religious tilt, it ticks all kinds of boxes marketers would like to see. Obviously not Beckham, but from the perspective of a signing that looks to gather attention? It's top drawer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manager87 View Post
    Sure

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a year of mostly fiasco with Beckham, they also got Bruce Arena in 2008. Probably helped that team succeed as much as anything else -- plus success, big players, and a known successful coach makes it easier to pull in other big players. I think Nelsen could do OK overall with TFC, but having him as a rookie coach, with a super-duper star player, would be kind of funny. (A big star could easily be bigger than/overshadow Payne as well.)

Hmm, interesting, we shall see. Kaka has over 15 million followers on Twitter by the way.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Hmm, interesting, we shall see. Kaka has over 15 million followers on Twitter by the way.
    That means TFC could sell 15 million jerseys!

win win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could care less about a superstar at the moment. I just want a solid core group of players who can grow together for the next few years. The second we make this type of signing the expectations will become playoffs/championships or bust. I fear if they do this to soon we could see another TFC disaster in the making, we need the key pieces in place first. I would like the team to be at least average before TFC dives into this type of signing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are not giving the source, and you have not built up "insider" credibility yet, there is no reason for us to give this any more weight than speculation. Sorry if you turn out to be the real deal, but there is a lot of water under the bridge for these supposed big name transfers over the years.

That discussing speculation, I would theoretically like Kaka if he's still fit, both for skill and for character.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager87 might be trolling us, but I hope he isn't though. Getting Kaka will be amazing and a lot of soccer fans in the city will come out just watch him play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Manager87 might be trolling us, but I hope he isn't though. Getting Kaka will be amazing and a lot of soccer fans in the city will come out just watch him play.
    He is obviously trolling.

You guys should sign up Harry Kewell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team cannot appreciate the brilliance of Kaka.

and Nelsen coaching Kaka is a joke on every level of football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am after Angelina Jolie.

Well, I was, until I met my wife.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am after Angelina Jolie.
    Well, I was, until I met my wife.
    I just don't get it.

Anyway, Kaka? Why Kaka? There's a bigger Portuguese community in Toronto then straight up Brazilian, no?

Then again, too many years left on that contract, or you know, a billion Euros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    This team cannot appreciate the brilliance of Kaka.

and Nelsen coaching Kaka is a joke on every level of football.
    Why? I very much doubt Kaka needs a whole lot of coaching.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    Neither Avila nor Soolsma would want to come back here. They've moved on... and so should we.
    Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne seems to be hinting strongly at Kaka though. Saying that he'll be "the best player in MLS", looking at a "DP quality" midfielder, looking at "South American players playing in Europe".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    I just don't get it.

Anyway, Kaka? Why Kaka? There's a bigger Portuguese community in Toronto then straight up Brazilian, no?

Then again, too many years left on that contract, or you know, a billion Euros.
    Agreed. The Portuguese community is much bigger than the Brazilian side here in Toronto. But I've also noted over the years that there is a ton of cross-over because of the common language and history.

Sorry to throw out Kaka's name today and get everyone excited. It just sorta makes sense based on extremely limited info.

Btw, I bet I'm Manager87's source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My source us someone within TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....maybe we could get some Brazilian drums and whistles and samba and...and.....

oh what am I thinking, we'll probably get Charlie Adams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My source us someone within TFC
    Looks like a case of a Freudian typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....maybe we could get some Brazilian drums and whistles and samba and...and.....

I wouldn't mind that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oye! Charlie Adams not that bad, I'll sick my dear old Dad on ya,