Page 54 of 288 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be way off but I think we are bringing in Caldwell and TBH to not only be a stop gap but to also put on a clinic and light a fire under our young defenders (including O'dea) asses. Hopefully it works and they are able to make significant improvements for next season when these loanees are gone.

I also expect a high standard dp wide/midfield signing in the summer. It's a huge need and they aren't acting on it so it leads me to believe something is in the works.

Also, watch the DC vs Houston highlights if you want to cheer yourself up over our defensive performance last night. Could be a lot worse.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if there's some sort of gentlemen's agreement between us and the league that we get unlimited international slotting for loanees while we sort our shit out, and then settle on a few permanent deals come end of June. That said, I'd still be just a little bit more nervous if I was Danny K right now that a bone-headed decision will end up with him on the outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, what the crap is going on with our international slot situation? I swear we only had one open spot before we signed Caldwell and Brockie, and now we've got Ben Haim too...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why you can't evaluate Payne/Nelsen yet. Let's see what happens with all these guys.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell and haim. Wtf

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Caldwell and haim. Wtf

Probably what O'Dea is thinking.

Gotta think Califf is going to be released now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    31 is not old for the mls

31 is old in the premier league if you play for Man U because of the amount of games they play b/w all their cups and league games.

31 is certainly not old for a defender as long as he is relatveily injury free and treating his body right (insert joke here)
    While sort of off tangent - I read an interview with Giggs from a couple of months ago and he said he would never have been able to play to the age he has played to at a lesser club. This is because bigger clubs have more quality in depth than smaller ones, and older players get rested more. Basically, he's playing less games as a result of playing for a better club.

Food for thought when thinking about players ages in the context of this league and others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think Henry being loaned or traded is equally possible. Think about it: Nelsen starts Henry against San Jose in a move that nobody predicted, with our 2nd and 3rd string CBs perfectly healthy and already on more minutes than Henry. Henry has a pretty good game and shows his tenacity after taking that knock to the head. Payne had just signed a new CB in Caldwell and now we find out we have yet another in Ben Haim. Why would Nelsen have started Henry in that game unless Payne wanted to showcase him to the league? He could be after an intra-league loan or a trade for Henry, things seems to be lining up that way.

Either way, we have 6 CBs now so you have to figure we'll be moving at least one of them soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think Henry being loaned or traded is equally possible. Think about it: Nelsen starts Henry against San Jose in a move that nobody predicted, with our 2nd and 3rd string CBs perfectly healthy and already on more minutes than Henry. Henry has a pretty good game and shows his tenacity after taking that knock to the head. Payne had just signed a new CB in Caldwell and now we find out we have yet another in Ben Haim. Why would Nelsen have started Henry in that game unless Payne wanted to showcase him to the league? He could be after an intra-league loan or a trade for Henry, things seems to be lining up that way.

Either way, we have 6 CBs now so you have to figure we'll be moving at least one of them soon.
    Or maybe Boss is getting traded instead of Henry (Henry counts as a international player for American MLS teams unlike Boss). Also, I am not sure where Henry would be loan to (USL?). However, those two are just back up CB's. I would say Califf is the one who is probably gone since he hasn't played a league game for a long time (plus he got some value in MLS to be traded).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting rid of domestic CBs for on loan internationals. Now that's what I call good asset management

We have four CBs before the two additions. we have like ten reserve strikers. Which makes more sense to cut a couple of if we need roster space?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know we are all a little confused about the international slots and amount of signings for the same position. But 1st, I can't imagine this is the end of the transfers - this is really just the beginning. And secondly, if you look at the signings of Caldwell and Ben Haim - and you compare them with our current "number one" CB partnership, I would personally say that the pairing of Caldwell and Ben Haim is BETTER than ANY of our current centre back's. Ben Haim is better than ODea, played at a higher level all his career. And I would say that Caldwell is probably better overall than ODea as well. so, if you are looking for an upgrade, I think we have it.

What that means about ODea, Henry, and Califf, I have no idea. This is clearly going to work out over the next few weeks, plus into when European players are released from their contract at the end of May and start of June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tal Ben Haim played the full 90 minutes at Right Back in last week's league game against Arsenal in a 1-0 QPR loss: He's also played Left Back

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/345...t=true&cc=5901

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/19087/...n-haim?cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm expecting more from these loans than I did from the players at the beginning of the season. At the start we were just short warm bodies, we needed something to make up the numbers and not get run over every game. Now is a different story, they've had more time to scout, I expect a little bit of a higher hit rate. Not saying everyone has to perform and we instantly solve all our problems, but my tolerance for "meh" performances has gone down a bit. At some point we also should be evaluating if these players we are bringing over are worth the time or if it's better to look elsewhere.

Can't say these moves are leaving me too enthused, but expectations are so low.. what's the worst that could happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long is Ecks out for? I wonder if Ben-Haim is a short term loan to cover while he is out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    How long is Ecks out for? I wonder if Ben-Haim is a short term loan to cover while he is out?
    Ben-Haim and Caldwell are interesting pick ups.

I have it like this:

-LB-------CB------CB------RB--
    Haim----O'Dea---Califf---Caldwell
    Morgan--Henry--Agboss--Richter

Mainly because Nelsen said they were lacking experience and hardness. The question is whether they are here long term or just until the transfer window opens.

IMO, Eckersley will be the one traded. It would make sense to trade him because of his high wages. Emory, would be tough to keep on the roster over Henry or Morgan. Im guessing Emory could be going back to the NASL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing is for certain, the revolving door is going to need more lube....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Probably what O'Dea is thinking.

Gotta be looking at that Philadelphia Union roster at any of their american players and thinking.... "Who can we offer Califf for."
    Do you think they'll throw Danny Cruz at us for Danny Califf?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People keep saying Califf's day's are numbered. Can one of the experts please explain: I thought that older players with significant experience in MLS (like Califf) have their contracts guaranteed for the length of the season. Even if you drop them from the squad, you still have to pay them for the year, and you don't get cap relief...?

Is that true for Califf -- or is it still early enough in the year that there's any benefit to TFC's cap situation in dropping Califf now? Not sure if any other MLS team would want him, considering his salary & that nobody else picked him up during the re-entry draft. Unless TFC covers a bunch of his salary, and then he will surely come back to score a goal on TFC, header off of a set piece. That's just the way it works around here.

With the new loanees & Nelsen's comments, I believe O'Dea is also being put on notice, especially given his salary & international status. I wonder if there's a club in Europe that would be willing to pick him up during the summer transfer window? I believe that TFC's full-backs are also being sent a message, considering Tal Ben Haim has often played fullback.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

I have it like this:

Mainly because Nelsen said they were lacking experience and hardness. The question is whether they are here long term or just until the transfer window opens.

IMO, Eckersley will be the one traded. It would make sense to trade him because of his high wages. Emory, would be tough to keep on the roster over Henry or Morgan. Im guessing Emory could be going back to the NASL.
    Yup, trade eckersey. We could get some good stuff if we retain some salary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    People keep saying Califf's day's are numbered. Can one of the experts please explain: I thought that older players with significant experience in MLS (like Califf) have their contracts guaranteed for the length of the season. Even if you drop them from the squad, you still have to pay them for the year, and you don't get cap relief...?

Is that true for Califf -- or is it still early enough in the year that there's any benefit to TFC's cap situation in dropping Califf now?

With the new loanees & Nelsen's comments, I believe O'Dea is also being put on notice, especially given his salary & international status. I wonder if there's a club in Europe that would be willing to pick him up during the summer transfer window? I believe that TFC's full-backs are also being sent a message, considering Tal Ben Haim has often played fullback.
    Most likely case will be Califf being traded not waive. Nelsen choose Boss and Henry over Califf in recent games. So unless Califf is injured, then this means Nelsen either doesn't think Califf highly or there might be some locker room issues with Califf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd try and keep Ecks, just lower is salary. I have noticed quite a difference since he has been out. Can't his contract be re-negotiated some time soon?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't rate Caldwell at all as a RB or LB. To me, he's a CD.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

I have it like this:

we don't need Califf anymore....never did as I said months ago....everyone else is tough enough with the new aquisitions . we definitely need skill and thinkers/positonal players though
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Tal Ben Haim played the full 90 minutes at Right Back in last week's league game against Arsenal in a 1-0 QPR loss: He's also played Left Back

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/345...t=true&cc=5901

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/19087/...n-haim?cc=5901
    Plays 90 min against a champions league team last week. Not bad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Is that true for Califf -- or is it still early enough in the year that there's any benefit to TFC's cap situation in dropping Califf now? Not sure if any other MLS team would want him, considering his salary & that nobody else picked him up during the re-entry draft. Unless TFC covers a bunch of his salary, and then he will surely come back to score a goal on TFC, header off of a set piece. That's just the way it works around here.

I don't care how much they're playing O'Dea... If it wasn't for that dude, TFC would be walking away with Saputo scores every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would any team take Califf and what could we get for him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tfc is currently are 2 over the allowed international slots, so two have to be going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't care how much they're playing O'Dea... If it wasn't for that dude, TFC would be walking away with Saputo scores every game.
    Yep, gotta say that while he's paid way too much, he's basically the only thing standing between us and our CB situation being 2012 bad. Nobody else on the roster is capable of being the "glue guy" back there besides him.

I know that means he needs a major pay cut or he's not in the long run plans, but careful what you wish for sending him away. At least now we look somewhat organized... 2012 it was so bad the team could not function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Yup, trade eckersey. We could get some good stuff if we retain some salary
    Only way we trade Ecks is if we eat a bunch of his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the Tal Ben Haim pickup but, guys, other then the game against Philadelphia to an extent, what other road game did we not get steam rolled in the middle of the pitch, not being able to hold the ball and just giving them the ball back. Laba is a good start but we need better options in the middle of the park. Hall doesn't cut in for me, neither does lambe or ehpriam. I was really hoping some help in the middle was coming. Koev's back will help, but my option on the late goals starts with the midfielders, not defenders.