Page 53 of 288 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 8618
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what Nelsen said last night about our defenders, nobody currently back there may be around by next season. And I suspect they are going to bring in more then one defender in the next 10 days.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tal Ben Haim has been signed from QPR on a loan. The revolving door continues.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05...n-haim-toronto

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted this in the news as well

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 1m #TFC announces it has signed Israeli international defender Tal Ben Haim on loan from Queens Park Rangers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben-Haim can play RB as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And I suspect they are going to bring in more then one defender in the next 10 days.
    I think you just manifested the Haim loan deal this morning. Took just 2 hours, great prediction! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The loan deals made sense to a point. Right now we have a squad that turns into a pumpkin in July. What happens then? Another batch of loanees made up of refugees who couldn't get signed in the summer window? And if we are getting a loanee from QPR why isn't it Ji Sung Park?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I think you just manifested the Haim loan deal this morning. Took just 2 hours, great prediction! lol
    LOL...I wish....No prediction. If you listen to the after the game interview, Nelsen says "and another guy" when talking about the new loanees. And he referenced defenders.

Will see how this works out. He's got 10 days to train with the team.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Tal Ben Haim has been signed from QPR on a loan. The revolving door continues.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05...n-haim-toronto
    In the pre-season press conference with KP - he said they would be getting a lot of players on loan in order to make sure they are getting the right players in.
    I think it's a good strategy. Imagine Bostock was signed to a 2 year deal with us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LOL...I wish....No prediction. If you listen to the after the game interview, Nelsen says "and another guy" when talking about the new loanees. And he referenced defenders.

Will see how this works out. He's got 10 days to train with the team.
    I kid, I kid Yeah, I'd easily say that's the most angry/pissed off/annoyed I've seen Nelsen to date, and I like it. He has every right to feel and react that way.

This 10 day break is perfect, as it allows the 3 new loanees to come in and fight for a spot in training. And in turn, it forces current players to prove they belong. Gonna be a MUCH different lineup next week against Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm...It will be interesting to see what kind of impact Ben Haim will have at this stage of his career. Intriguing acquisition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben Haim could help tremendously. He's 31, which is old, but not too old. He's probably relatively fresh as he didn't play much for QPR this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QPR II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing is being done to improve this team beyond this season. In fact, based on the record of the team the loans aren't even helping TFC this season. Bringing players in on loan only makes sense if it makes you competitive right now, which the players brought in to date haven't.

TFC wouldn't bring in the lastest trio of players in on loan if they weren't going to get a significant amount of playing time. So what happens when they all go back to their clubs? TFC will be releasing players to free up international roster spots to bring in other players for 6 months? So now the roster will be left without the loanees and without players to replace them.

As I said bringing in one or 2 players in on loan to help you fill a hole is a good strategy but to bring in 4, 5, 6 players on loan to make up a significant portion of you team doesn't make sense if you are building for the long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't we consider the loans as extended try-outs and sign the 2-3 guys that work best for us? Do that a couple times and you build a solid base to go forward with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Nothing is being done to improve this team beyond this season. In fact, based on the record of the team the loans aren't even helping TFC this season. Bringing players in on loan only makes sense if it makes you competitive right now, which the players brought in to date haven't.

TFC wouldn't bring in the lastest trio of players in on loan if they weren't going to get a significant amount of playing time. So what happens when they all go back to their clubs? TFC will be releasing players to free up international roster spots to bring in other players for 6 months? So now the roster will be left without the loanees and without players to replace them.

As I said bringing in one or 2 players in on loan to help you fill a hole is a good strategy but to bring in 4, 5, 6 players on loan to make up a significant portion of you team doesn't make sense if you are building for the long term.
    You are right, bringing in these players have nothing to do with long-term building.
    However, the young kids who are currently gracing the pitch as starters are the future of this team, but they cannot be starters right now. Maybe in a couple seasons , yes, but not right now. Right now they need to learn how to be professionals - something most of them are not.

The guys we are bringing in now are purely for experience and mentorship.They won't be here in 2 season, but hopefully by then, these kids will be ready to be starters - along with some others we may pick up along the way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the loans are basically extended trials. I think Nelsen and Payne are still in the process of identifying who they will keep
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been said since day 1 this season that the loanees are basically here on loan as active trialists. I'd rather have a spot open if they don't pan out than have junk signed up for next year that we have to dump. In the past Bostock, Ephraim, and Russell would all be on 2 year deals at over $200K+ each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaha i am so happy he signed!! im also pretty shocked the only media was covering this move before it actually happend was the israeli one (didnt see it anywhere else)

anywayz, i am realy happy, Tal or like we love calling him in here TBH is one of the most talented CBs i know, he has louds of experience aswell in the highest lvl of soccer, he can stop any striker (ask Wayne Rooney...), and he will be perfect for the MLS.

his phisycal abillity is also one of the best i've seen.

any questions about him are welcomed, i know him since he was 15 and played in the Youth of Maccabi ( ) untill he became our captain when he was only 21 and then got to the EnglishPremier League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone said there was not one iota of a scouting network at TFC. How else do you start getting in players you want when you are in the job for a few months when the season starts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so how many international roster spots do we have? unlimited?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    so how many international roster spots do we have? unlimited?
    Yup, unlimited. Same total as NYRB's and LA's allocation monies.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still laughing over the 'we turn into a pumpkin in July' bit.

We do, but we get to choose (I hope) the guys that work, and the guys that don't. Its painful to watch but given the crap laiden roster with rotten deals this is at least creative to a degree. Not sure how many will work out though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IsrTfc View Post

any questions about him are welcomed, i know him since he was 15
    Does he like cream cheese on bagels or does he prefer whitefish? Or does he hate bagels and prefers other breakfast food? What kind of music does he like? (You said "any" questions ) j/k
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought Ben Haim was awful so hopefully he proves me wrong.

Payne better bring in a number of core players over the summer. A striker and a winger being top priorities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm overly keen on Ben Haim, I didn't like the way he treated Portmouth in the end. But I always thought he was an ok player. He's always played at a higher level than MLS, so he should be more than capable of playing in the league.

I very much doubt he will be a permanent deal, he was on $36,000 a week at Portsmouth, so that would put him well over DP money, and I don't think Payne would sign him as a DP.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I'm overly keen on Ben Haim, I didn't like the way he treated Portmouth in the end. But I always thought he was an ok player. He's always played at a higher level than MLS, so he should be more than capable of playing in the league.

I very much doubt he will be a permanent deal, he was on $36,000 a week at Portsmouth, so that would put him well over DP money, and I don't think Payne would sign him as a DP.
    and for ben Haim, if TFC doesn't work out, he'll go to Israeli league where he'll be like a god
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Payne better bring in a number of core players over the summer. A striker and a winger being top priorities.
    I dunno, man. Having that long of a career in the Prem means he's probably good enough to play in our league. He's only 31, so he's hopefully got some juice left in the legs.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Ben Haim could help tremendously. He's 31, which is old, but not too old. He's probably relatively fresh as he didn't play much for QPR this season.
    31 is not old for the mls

31 is old in the premier league if you play for Man U because of the amount of games they play b/w all their cups and league games.

31 is certainly not old for a defender as long as he is relatveily injury free and treating his body right (insert joke here)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

It'd be nice if Koevs comes back the same player he was last year. Not like he was a runner or anything. He just knew where to be, how to win the ball in that spot and score. If he can do that again, we may not need another striker.

Could use more people in the mid though. Winger for sure. I think CDM or CAM couldn't hurt. Someone to help control the game a little better - Laba is suppose to be one of those things, but to be honest, I think he needs someone to play with. he can't do it on his own. Too young.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We own the record for most players on the roster. What was that number?

How many players have we signed this season?
    How many of them have seen at least a minute on the field?