Page 5 of 288 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a silly question, but do we have international spots for all these players coming over from England?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but do we have international spots for all these players coming over from England?
    Right now, we only got 1 int spot Since Kov is Injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default John Bostock

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...?4291-Reds-add

Getting pretty tight on int spots now... Though good to have a creative AM on the squad
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we assumed Payne would be adding Latin flair based on his history at DCU and all the talk of Hondurans and Argentinians.

Reality: we're signing a bunch of guys from and trained in the British isles to go with the bunch we already have.

Is this a plan to actually compete or one to keep our fan base quiet because its much harder for TFC supporters to be critical of UK based players than anyone else?

Hmmmm.

I guess the results will tell that story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some quick Twitter creeping - dude is very religious and has a hot wife.

Will be interesting to see how Bekker, Silva, and Bostock are used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Reality: we're signing a bunch of guys from and trained in the British isles to go with the bunch we already have.
    The majority of them are on loan and available immediately, which is prudent given the circumstances. TFC is not committed to them long term, and Payne can make the appropriate decision regarding their futures in Toronto in due course based on how they integrate with the team.

It will take time to assemble the roster that will inevitably comprise the nucleus of our squad moving forward due to external factors, especially with respect to the South American players that Payne has identified. I have no doubt that TFC will vigorously pursue those options once those players are absolved of the contractual obligations with their existing clubs.

In the interim, Payne and Nelsen are doing whatever they can to assemble a roster that can compete based on the connections they have in the industry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a plan to actually compete or one to keep our fan base quiet because its much harder for TFC supporters to be critical of UK based players than anyone else?

Hmmmm.

Yeah because no one on these boards or who follow the team ever go on about our old UK fetish and subsequent shite players we get from there.

I believe it took about 5 minutes after TFC announced Nelsen was flying back to London to tie up loose ends and scout before the whining started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we assumed Payne would be adding Latin flair based on his history at DCU and all the talk of Hondurans and Argentinians.

Hmmmm.

I think it's a plan to buy time until he can get in the players he wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    You know we have Earnshaw on the roster, right?
    Until July.

If Koev is healthy you keep Koev on... let Earnshaw continue his journey, If Koev isn't healthy and Earnshaw is producing well then you have an option to keep him. If you have the Argentinian you may not keep Earnshaw, if you don't you might.

Earnshaw is hear as a bandaid to a few problems. he can help heal them, and he can hold on for a bit if needed. He is here to replace Hassili.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The majority of them are on loan and available immediately, which is prudent given the circumstances. TFC is not committed to them long term, and Payne can make the appropriate decision regarding their futures in Toronto in due course based on how they integrate with the team.

It will take time to assemble the roster that will inevitably comprise the nucleus of our squad moving forward due to external factors, especially with respect to the South American players that Payne has identified. I have no doubt that TFC will vigorously pursue those options once those players are absolved of the contractual obligations with their existing clubs.

In the interim, Payne and Nelsen are doing whatever they can to assemble a roster that can compete based on the connections they have in the industry.
    That may be true but doesn't Payne have latin connections in the industry? How did he get players for DCU? Why are they not an option for temporary loan deals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yeah because no one on these boards or who follow the team ever go on about our old UK fetish and subsequent shite players we get from there.

I believe it took about 5 minutes after TFC announced Nelsen was flying back to London to tie up loose ends and scout before the whining started.
    There are a few of us that "whine"
    about the "fetish" but the vast majority of TFC supporters are followers of the EPL and lower UK leagues.

I've also heard plenty of "whining" about Latin and other euro players in the last 6 years.

All I'm saying is that the roster we thought we might see based on Paynes history and based on rumours doesn't seem to be materialising.

Manuforever made a pretty good argument for why that is.

We shall see I guess.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

I've made a promise to myself this season: I'll only whine about results. They can go and dig up players anywhere they please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The other issue is that the S. American players Payne has identified simply aren't available right now due to contractual obligations or other issues. He has stated that the summer will be when we really see the core of the club going forward begin to take shape. This season is going to be about constant roster tweaking, while trying to maintain a competitive balance. Based on the players they've brought in so far, and how they're going about it (loan deals, so they can take a 'wait and see' approach) I think there is reason to be hopeful.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That may be true but doesn't Payne have latin connections in the industry? How did he get players for DCU? Why are they not an option for temporary loan deals?
    I know compared to the schmucks who ran this club before this will seem revolutionary, but Payne hired real scouts for DCU. I'm pretty sure DCU wouldn't be happy if their employees were being used by another club without their permission.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-08-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    I've made a promise to myself this season: I'll only whine about results. They can go and dig up players anywhere they please.
    Here Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that Payne wants to sign the latin players he has identified to longer term contracts as opposed to short term loans. For example, the young Argentinian striker Urruti has been reported to be on Payne's radar as a DP.

The current roster is not indicative of what will be in place after the summer transfer window. By then we will have a clearer picture of the type of roster that Payne and Nelsen are capable of assembling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm.

Think we are looking at immediate short term coverage with an eye on the bigger picture.Bringing these loans players in is a go at getting us stability as to when such time we can start adding the players we see ourselves building future teams around. We are kind of in survival mode right now, and bringing in players from PL who have more of (not guaranteed mind you) a chance of immediately intergrating into our team. Latin players can have problems adjusting and we kind of need immediate returns on whomever we bring in. Payne has said he is waiting until summer time for his players, I think we will know then the people the team will be built around, as opposed to now where we probably have quite a few band aid type players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as the player is bringing value for money then where they are from is moot, there is good value throughout the world and to think SA is the only place to look is foolish. As long as players can communicate the country of origin shouldnt matter, just international slot considerations and what the player is.

Yes of course the UK is generally overpriced, but it doesnt mean we should stop looking to find good deals.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    My guess is that Payne wants to sign the latin players he has identified to longer term contracts as opposed to short term loans. For example, the young Argentinian striker Urruti has been reported to be on Payne's radar as a DP.

The current roster is not indicative of what will be in place after the summer transfer window. By then we will have a clearer picture of the type of roster that Payne and Nelsen are capable of assembling.
    I think that he's also looking to have the Argentinian and Hondurans on loan deals, as well, especially with the major differences in the style of play in the MLS, from what they're accustomed.

That said, you're generally on the ball. Payne seems to have his sights on a few particular signings to form the club's nucleus, but, he's going about it smartly; he doesn't have all his eggs in one basket, using loan deals for stop gap signings, as well as for longer term ones. Both sets of players will have a chance to show their stuff and change his mind, for better or worse, with this approach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Think we are looking at immediate short term coverage with an eye on the bigger picture.Bringing these loans players in is a go at getting us stability as to when such time we can start adding the players we see ourselves building future teams around. We are kind of in survival mode right now, and bringing in players from PL who have more of (not guaranteed mind you) a chance of immediately intergrating into our team. Latin players can have problems adjusting and we kind of need immediate returns on whomever we bring in. Payne has said he is waiting until summer time for his players, I think we will know then the people the team will be built around, as opposed to now where we probably have quite a few band aid type players.
    All these loan players are basically on extended trial. They are a band aid solution right now, and they will be playing for a contract. Considering Ephraim's loan clause until June, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys are all on short term contract until June. Even Russell.

Kevin Payne has signings targeted for the summer. He's waiting to see what else develops before he decides who to sign
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock?! I don't believe I'm actually going to have to cheer for an ex Swindon player. Oh goodness, I don't know what to say?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Bostock?! I don't believe I'm actually going to have to cheer for an ex Swindon player. Oh goodness, I don't know what to say?!
    Well, it was only a loan..(for Swindon).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Well, it was only a loan..(for Swindon).
    That makes it almost ok for me to cheer for him. I'll swallow by Oxford pride for this one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long did Darrel Russel sign for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had read some things about Bostock having a bit of an ego from his days at Tottenham, but watching his interview after his signing was announced, he seems really keen and excited to be here. Obviously haven't seen him play and maybe the comments had more to do with him on the field than off, but I'm optimistic about his signing. Hope he starts tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman
    Ryan Nelsen says Bostock on loan til end of his Spurs contract in summer then becomes a TFC player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As long as the player is bringing value for money then where they are from is moot, there is good value throughout the world and to think SA is the only place to look is foolish. As long as players can communicate the country of origin shouldnt matter, just international slot considerations and what the player is.

Yes of course the UK is generally overpriced, but it doesnt mean we should stop looking to find good deals.
    Very good comment that I agree with, you have to be diverified, and right now short term loans may be a good move for coverage. I would love to see some 'Latin American Flair' but if there are players available to provide cover in the interim, before we get the so called 'Latin American Flair' players, so be it. I'll just say this 'Flair' means Fuck all if you ain't winning does it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My starting 11 at this point, assuming all are healthy excluding Kovermann.

Frei - G
    Eckersly - RB
    O'Dea - CB
    Califf - CB
    Morgan - LB
    Gale A - DM
    Ceasar - DM
    Ephraim- OM
    Silva - OM
    Bostock - AM
    Robert Earnshaw - S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    My starting 11 at this point, assuming all are healthy excluding Kovermann.

Frei - G
    Eckersly - RB
    O'Dea - CB
    Califf - CB
    Morgan - LB
    Gale A - DM
    Ceasar - DM
    Ephraim- OM
    Silva - OM
    Bostock - AM
    Robert Earnshaw - S
    What about either Dunny or Russel in DM instead of Agboss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morlesio14 you going to the game? Also i got banned from Hf boards LOL