Page 48 of 288 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I've yet to see any article from credible media that TFC paid a transfer fee, though I could be wrong.
    He was free; he was on trial with Philadelphia before us and didn't get picked up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He was free; he was on trial with Philadelphia before us and didn't get picked up.

Not true, he was originally drafted by Philly and was released. He signed for and spent last year playing for Charleston Battery. Here is a link from Charleston's website that says he was transferred to Toronto. Kurt Larson also tweet at the time that a fee was paid.

http://charlestonbattery.com/news/ba...to-toronto-fc/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Not true, he was originally drafted by Philly and was released. He signed for and spent last year playing for Charleston Battery. Here is a link from Charleston's website that says he was transferred to Toronto. Kurt Larson also tweet at the time that a fee was paid.

http://charlestonbattery.com/news/ba...to-toronto-fc/
    I don't distrust Larson, but generally, if a fee or allocation money was paid, MLS would actually say that
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't distrust Larson, but generally, if a fee or allocation money was paid, MLS would actually say that
    Read the article I posted from the Battery website. The first sentence, "Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery has transferred Ryan Richter to Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. Per team and MLS policy terms of the deal were not disclosed." What do you think Toronto exchanged for him if not money?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the article I posted from the Battery website. The first sentence, "Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery has transferred Ryan Richter to Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. Per team and MLS policy terms of the deal were not disclosed." What do you think Toronto exchanged for him if not money?
    it could have been a free transfer, as mind boggling as that may seem
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you look at the mls website under transactions, it says "D Ryan Richter (3/25/13 - acquired from Charleston Battery)"

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it could have been a free transfer, as mind boggling as that may seem
    Why would Charleston give away a starter from their championship winning team to a team 2 levels higher for free? Why would s TFC beat reporter tweet that a fee has been paid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I remember people lambasting everyone at one time or another so that doesn't say much.
    There was more to it than that. He legitimately had strings of terrible performances. Anyone remember him getting posterized by Darren Mattocks? That was just icing on the cake, he was being exposed practically every game we played.

Can't throw a guy out after a handful of games. That's not going to lead to a fair assessment of what he's capable of. He does have assets. Definitely athletic and technically functional. Isn't reading the game properly right now but that can certainly improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Don't forget about Lucas Cavallini (young Canadian striker) playing in Uruguay right now. I am not sure how he's doing there right now, but we sure can use him if we are looking for young cheap talented Canadian kids.
    Certainly attractive but probably not as easy to get out of his club. Again, good potential fit for TFC though. Want pesky forwards with high work rates, that's basically him to a T.

That being said, the longer he's down there the better. I trust their ability to develop players much more than ours

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would Charleston give away a starter from their championship winning team to a team 2 levels higher for free? Why would s TFC beat reporter tweet that a fee has been paid?
    same reason that Charleston gave up Osvaldo Alonso for peanuts to Seattle. when a big team comes calling, the small team has not so much bargain power when the player wants to leave.

Ryan Richter was trialing with TFC before being signed. Usually a sign that a team is willing to let the player go. I suspect Richter may have a word with Battery GM that he'll play for Charleston, but if a bigger team comes calling, he's allowed to leave.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can't throw a guy out after a handful of games. That's not going to lead to a fair assessment of what he's capable of. He does have assets. Definitely athletic and technically functional. Isn't reading the game properly right now but that can certainly improve.
    I have yet to see proof of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    ---------------------------Bendik---------------------------
    ----------------------------Frei-----------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Eckersley--------Califf-----------Agbossoumonde-------O'Dea
    Peters----------Henry----------------Emory----------Morgan
    Bostock----------Hall---------------Silva-------------Ephraim
    Lambe---------Stinson-------Beaulieu-Bourgault----Bekker
    ---------------------------Laba-----------------------------
    --------------------------Osorio----------------------------
    ------------------------Earnshaw---------------------------
    --------------------------Braun-----------------------------
    And that's part of the problem. Even your dream team here has how many guys playing out of position? I see at least 5, which means half your field players aren't where they should be. None of these guys are elite athletes, and many with limited skill sets... and you're playing them out of position? You're asking for even more trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    And that's part of the problem. Even your dream team here has how many guys playing out of position? I see at least 5, which means half your field players aren't where they should be. None of these guys are elite athletes, and many with limited skill sets... and you're playing them out of position? You're asking for even more trouble.
    Absolutely. O'Dea as a fullback? NBF, have you seen how slow he is? That would be a disaster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Absolutely. O'Dea as a fullback? NBF, have you seen how slow he is? That would be a disaster.
    have you seen how slow Dunivant is? uses footy IQ and smart positioning to overcome deficiency in pace. O'Dea actually has some experience playing LB, though not his natural position.

not that I'm advocating O'Dea as a LB, but it's not such a farfetched idea as it seems

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba is a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you seen how slow Dunivant is? uses footy IQ and smart positioning to overcome deficiency in pace. O'Dea actually has some experience playing LB, though not his natural position.

not that I'm advocating O'Dea as a LB, but it's not such a farfetched idea as it seems
    Dunivant isn't a particularly great fullback tbh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunivant isn't a particularly great fullback tbh.
    uhhhh... he's still the best LB in MLS. 3 MLS Cups and 2 Supporters Shield with LA says he's probably pretty good

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same reason that Charleston gave up Osvaldo Alonso for peanuts to Seattle. when a big team comes calling, the small team has not so much bargain power when the player wants to leave.

Ryan Richter was trialing with TFC before being signed. Usually a sign that a team is willing to let the player go. I suspect Richter may have a word with Battery GM that he'll play for Charleston, but if a bigger team comes calling, he's allowed to leave.
    Actually an interesting part of the debate around soccer in North America. MLS hates the idea of paying fees to anyone and that basically cascades down. Definitely dampens the incentives for the lower level of the pyramid to develop talent if they don't see any payoff.

CSN is writing a feature about this currently, although its focus is amateur clubs receiving fees for the players they develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We finally have an above average MLS CB in O'Dea and combined with Boss or Califf a pretty decent pairing. No way are we breaking that up for temporary help at LB.

Emory will play there when fit, otherwise we'll have to pray Morgan finds some form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhhh... he's still the best LB in MLS. 3 MLS Cups and 2 Supporters Shield with LA says he's probably pretty good
    Personally think Sean Franklin is better as a fullback. What he's won only says he's been on good teams. Not saying he's bad but I wouldn't even think his name if I'm thinking of top fullbacks.

At any rate, playing O'Dea at left back is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally think Sean Franklin is better as a fullback. What he's won only says he's been on good teams. Not saying he's bad but I wouldn't even think his name if I'm thinking of top fullbacks.
    Not exactly a strong league for fullbacks or wide players is it? Seems to be the places where most teams try to save money.

I'll take Steven Beitashour as one of the better ones. He's really impressed me the few times I saw him play with SJ.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not exactly a strong league for fullbacks or wide players is it? Seems to be the places where most teams try to save money.

I'll take Steven Beitashour as one of the better ones. He's really impressed me the few times I saw him play with SJ.
    unless you're stupid like TFC or Vancouver.

I'd suggest that this trend is being reversed as more teams realize how important a good fullback is on offence. it's too bad Andy Najar is no longer with MLS. This Yedlin kid from Seattle is going to be something special

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest that this trend is being reversed as more teams realize how important a good fullback is on offence. it's too bad Andy Najar is no longer with MLS. This Yedlin kid from Seattle is going to be something special
    Farrell could end up being that too. It is probably changing, but you don't hear left and right backs getting played up that much for the Superdraft or in signing rumours. Still tends to be an overlooked position.

Having played that position, I tend to have a bias toward players that get forward....
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farrell could end up being that too. It is probably changing, but you don't hear left and right backs getting played up that much for the Superdraft or in signing rumours. Still tends to be an overlooked position.

Having played that position, I tend to have a bias toward players that get forward....
    we are really hijacking the thread, but fullbacks do get some love from time to time. Farrell is a bit of oddity that he could play multiple positions and a bit of coincidence that he ended up being a RB at NE. however, Chance Myers of SKC was drafted 1st overall in 08, but now paying big dividends for SKC

what I don't like about a lot of MLS fullbacks is that a lot of them are converted FBs.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the transaction section on the MLS webstie that I linked earlier.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2013

F Justin Braun (12/3/12 - trade from Real Salt Lake)
    GK Joe Bendik (12/12/12 - trade from Portland)
    D Danny Califf (12/14/12 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 2)
    D Gale Agbossoumonde (12/20/12 - weighted lottery)
    M Júlio César (1/15/2013 - free)
    M Kyle Bekker (1/17/13 - SuperDraft)
    M/F Hogan Ephraim (2/27/13 - loan from Queens Park Rangers)
    F Robert Earnshaw (3/1/13 - free)
    F Ashton Bennett (3/1/13 - SuperDraft)
    F Taylor Morgan (3/1/13 - Supplemental Draft)
    M Jonathan Ososrio (3/1/13 - free)
    M Darel Russell (3/1/13 - free)
    M John Bostock (3/8/13 - loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
    D Ryan Richter (3/25/13 - acquired from Charleston Battery)
    M Matías Laba (4/26/13 - transfer from Argentinos Juniors)

If Richter came on a free would it not say 'free' after his name and not 'acquired from'? Why would Larson say there was a transfer fee paid? I've yet to see any evidence to say he came on a free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of MLS fullbacks. What happened to the love for Micheal Harrington around these parts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So.... What's the difference between 'acquired' and 'transfer' then? wouldn't it make more sense to use same word for a transaction in which a transfer fee is paid?

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Speaking of MLS fullbacks. What happened to the love for Micheal Harrington around these parts?
    starter for Portland after being traded from SKC, and proving that he is one of better MLS FBs

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would like for everything to be made public, more transparency is needed in this league. I'm also itching to see the 2013 salary list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, it's definitely changing. Teams have slightly more resources to deal with the problem too