Page 47 of 288 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I... (oh, I'm gonna duck after saying this) disagree.

I agree in principle, because he's playing like shit. But I also see that he's making the same basic mistake right now: he's ball watching when involved in the play, i.e. waiting for the ball to reach him and then make a play on it, instead of attacking the ball.

It's our biggest fault as a team. When he was posterized by Cahill, it's because Cahill attacked the ball, Morgan waited for it. When he was beaten on the back post yesterday for one of the goals, it was because he was waiting for it to come to him.

Maybe it's bad coaching. Maybe they aren't seeing it (although if they're watching video, how could they miss it?).

But if that's correctable and not a "read at speed" problem, i.e. he just can't read the game at MLS speed, then sending him down to NASL or USL Pro will just degrade his skills. You send a player on loan when he needs playing time. Morgan's problem right now is he needs less game time, more practice on essentials and basics.

I'd say the same of several of our young players; one of the reasons Wiedeman has trouble contributing is that a) he's not strong enough. Put the kid in a fuckign weight room, already. And b) he lacks basic first touch skills, such as trapping the ball out of the air, so he almost always loses any pass that's hard or challenged.

Doneil Henry also suffers from Ball Watch-itis, like Morgan, which is why guys get behind him. He has a huge vertical and is the tallest player on the park. He shouldn't lose headers in our box; but he does, because he doesn't attack the ball.

Right now, the reason Jeremy Hall is so much better this year is that he has been told to sit back and cut down passing lanes; to do that effectively takes anticipation and reacting before other players. That's also the most glaring weakness of our generally young team.

This isn't just a defensive issue. Did anyone see Osorio almost lose his nut the other day when he turned to the wing to keep the move flowing into NY's end, and Richter hadn't filled the lane? He was watching the play, instead of reading and reacting.

But this isn't a HUGE issue. It's a learning curve issue, and I don't see how sending Morgan down helps him.
    Yup, definitely saw that. You're right, there is a lack of reading and attacking the ball happening. In Morgan's case I don't think it's fatal, but his confidence is done and he needs some time not playing right now. I also agree sending him elsewhere isn't a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post

In any case Frei isn't our biggest issue. Ashtone Morgan is. Payne and Nelsen have to decide if he is a long term project or not. If he is, then he has to go to a lower division team on loan. He is simply not an functional option for us at this point.
    I don't think he needs a loan but he does need to get his head I straight. Performances have been pretty bad.

TFC should be looking for a new starting left back for sure. Edit: or maybe I'd say another quality natural left footer at least. Someone who can push
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richter seems much more of an example of someone who needs honing. The work being done with Morgan just doesn't seem to be sinking in, but I'm all for keeping on trying. TFC is very often too willing to give up on youngsters. Having said that, there is no way he should be starting - that is just too much for him and it is causing too many problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgans ball control is so terrible. For an offensive leftback hes actually so incompetent with the ball. It gets all weird in his feet and he takes like five touches/steps to control a ball. He has unbelievable speed and agility and can wip in a solid cross. Winter hid his weaknesses very well. Winter was a great soccer mind, but couldnt handle the rest. Morgan is getting exposeddd boys.

His positioning iss just sooo bad and hes been by far the worst player on the field. Every game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Morgan is getting exposeddd boys.

His positioning iss just sooo bad and hes been by far the worst player on the field. Every game.
    Richter is giving him a run for his money now though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not getting this Richter thing going on here. For an inexperienced back-end roster player he's competent enough. Flawed, definitely, but MLS is still filled with these types of players. Especially at a position like RB where everyone skimps because of the cap (unless you're TFC and think that right backs earn 300+).

He's pretty much another Logan Emory. Give him some time to adjust to the play and he'll do his job as a backup.

I mean really, what were we expecting? They're committed to Eckerley in that spot for at least this season. Richter is not terrible considering he probably cost sub 100k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not getting this Richter thing going on here. For an inexperienced back-end roster player he's competent enough. Flawed, definitely, but MLS is still filled with these types of players. Especially at a position like RB where everyone skimps because of the cap (unless you're TFC and think that right backs earn 300+).

He's pretty much another Logan Emory. Give him some time to adjust to the play and he'll do his job as a backup.

I mean really, what were we expecting? They're committed to Eckerley in that spot for at least this season. Richter is not terrible considering he probably cost sub 100k
    I disagree. He is terrible and I do expect more from a starter in that spot. Emory is much better than Richter, especially defensively. Neither is good going forward and really the only thing Richter has going for him are the throw-ins.

If we have this as a back four then we'd be alright by MLS standards:

Eck - O' Dea - Agboss/Califf - Emory/Russell

The combination we had last night was at a USL/NASL standard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is being linked to a young Honduran striker Marlon Ramirez. Apparently 18, Honduran U20 currently with C.D. Vida (groan)
    http://www.elceibeno.hn/deportes/201...que-valen-oro/
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if these Honduran moves don't pan out, at least Toronto FC is making their presence felt in the region. More and more players will be hearing about "Toronto" and that intrigue might boost our chances for bigger talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I disagree. He is terrible and I do expect more from a starter in that spot. Emory is much better than Richter, especially defensively. Neither is good going forward and really the only thing Richter has going for him are the throw-ins.

You'll have to remember that Emory was basically perceived the same way you're looking at Richter right now.

Russell is the guy I have no hope for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but we are on our #5 & #6 fullbacks right now.

Richter is good for a #6...
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll have to remember that Emory was basically perceived the same way you're looking at Richter right now.
    Really only by the whole 'ML$E out!, shorts guy out' contingent. Those who watched him (and the game) objectively knew he had his place just like we do with Dunfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramirez won't happen boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you say the Ramirez deal wont happen? Do you have news of that or inside info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like its something to distract the media after our terrible game yesterday

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    I feel like its something to distract the media after our terrible game yesterday
    Right, the 6-0 loss was getting blanket coverage in Honduras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the team would have signed Beaulieu-Bourgault and kept Matt Stinson. The team would have been better suited to deal with injuries. Jaimie Peters would have been a better option than Richter at right back. Missed opportunities to build a competitive team with reasonable depth.

---------------------------Bendik---------------------------
    ----------------------------Frei-----------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Eckersley--------Califf-----------Agbossoumonde-------O'Dea
    Peters----------Henry----------------Emory----------Morgan
    Bostock----------Hall---------------Silva-------------Ephraim
    Lambe---------Stinson-------Beaulieu-Bourgault----Bekker
    ---------------------------Laba-----------------------------
    --------------------------Osorio----------------------------
    ------------------------Earnshaw---------------------------
    --------------------------Braun-----------------------------
    Last edited by [NBF]; 05-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russell is the guy I have no hope for.
    Watching Richter fail to run that Montreal forward out the by-line and letting the cross in for goal 5 (? or was it 4?) was it for me. Add that to the incident from the Red Bulls game Jloome brought up when Osorio was pleading for him to make a run up the right flank....this guys is clueless on both ends of the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Watching Richter fail to run that Montreal forward out the by-line and letting the cross in for goal 5 (? or was it 4?) was it for me. Add that to the incident from the Red Bulls game Jloome brought up when Osorio was pleading for him to make a run up the right flank....this guys is clueless on both ends of the pitch.
    This. Right. Here.

No idea why people defend him so easily.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This. Right. Here.

No idea why people defend him so easily.
    cheap depth at min wage. you get what you paid for

i remember people lambasting emory a lot too.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I remember people lambasting everyone at one time or another so that doesn't say much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we sign a footballer instead of athletes pls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving a guy the outside until he runs out of space is defending 101. That cross had no business coming in. That's the least you expect from any defender on any money.
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I wish the team would have signed Beaulieu-Bourgault and kept Matt Stinson. The team would have been better suited to deal with injuries. Jaimie Peters would have been a better option than Richter at right back. Missed opportunities to build a competitive team with reasonable depth.

---------------------------Bendik---------------------------
    ----------------------------Frei-----------------------------
    Eckersley--------Califf-----------Agbossoumonde-------O'Dea
    Peters----------Henry----------------Emory----------Morgan
    Bostock----------Hall---------------Silva-------------Ephraim
    Lambe---------Stinson-------Beaulieu-Bourgault----Bekker
    ---------------------------Laba-----------------------------
    --------------------------Osorio----------------------------
    ------------------------Earnshaw---------------------------
    --------------------------Braun-----------------------------
    What makes you think any of these players would make a difference? Other than Canadian homer-ism that is. Where are they now? If they had any worth at low prices they would be somewhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grant Wahl article on Herculez Gomez, and why I'd like him at TFC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...98/1/index.htm

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes you think any of these players would make a difference? Other than Canadian homer-ism that is. Where are they now? If they had any worth at low prices they would be somewhere.
    Hate to say it but I agree. Never thought much of Stinson, maybe JBB is worth the argument. As for Peters, I don't see anything appealing about him. Constant decline and troubling things being reported.

If anything, given the early success of Osorio, the argument should be for some of the Urguay kids to be repatriated by TFC after a couple years abroad. Andreas Fresenga played well with the u23s and has a lot of characteristics that makes me think he could be an asset to TFC AT RB. Maybe that's worth a look, and it's clearly a cut above Stinson and company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say it but I agree. Never thought much of Stinson, maybe JBB is worth the argument. As for Peters, I don't see anything appealing about him. Constant decline and troubling things being reported.

If anything, given the early success of Osorio, the argument should be for some of the Urguay kids to be repatriated by TFC after a couple years abroad. Andreas Fresenga played well with the u23s and has a lot of characteristics that makes me think he could be an asset to TFC AT RB. Maybe that's worth a look, and it's clearly a cut above Stinson and company.
    Don't forget about Lucas Cavallini (young Canadian striker) playing in Uruguay right now. I am not sure how he's doing there right now, but we sure can use him if we are looking for young cheap talented Canadian kids.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grant Wahl article on Herculez Gomez, and why I'd like him at TFC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...98/1/index.htm
    That's what you call a player with character.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does cheap depth require a transfer fee?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Does cheap depth require a transfer fee?
    I've yet to see any article from credible media that TFC paid a transfer fee, though I could be wrong.

-Eduardo Galeano