0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who are the dancers??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen put on quite the wry smile in his Montreal post-game press conference when asked about Laba. The reporter mentions him by name and so does Nelsen in his response, I think it's safe to say this is pretty much a done deal. @ 6:25

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...
    More than just my brain, I would burst my fucking pants. I love C. Ronaldo, I still think he is #1 in the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba sounds like a done deal. I don't think a coach would say that without there being something actually signed up. I expect a press conference over the next 1 or 2 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    More than just my brain, I would burst my fucking pants. I love C. Ronaldo, I still think he is #1 in the world.
    I think my stomach would explode

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    That was me!
    great question!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't wait to see the announcement of laba, and hopefully he will have a great impact on the team. also hopefully this wouldn't come out like the urruti situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think my stomach would explode
    Mine as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...
    Do you understand what the price of eggs is?

Last year Javi Martinez, a Spanish national team sub that can barely get a sniff, a guy that I willing to bet 75% of people here haven't heard of, was sold by Bilbao to Bayern.

Do you know what the transfer fee was?

40 million.

Euros.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    That was me!
    Finally someone who asks the right questions. Most reporters just ask about things we already know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Last year Javi Martinez, a Spanish national team sub that can barely get a sniff, a guy that I willing to bet 75% of people here haven't heard of, was sold by Bilbao to Bayern.

40 million.

Euros.
    I've been really high on Martinez for a long time and while it seems like a lot of money, I'd say it was worth it over the long term.

The next big-money, under the radar move from Spain will be for Isco.

As for Cristiano Ronaldo, well...there's always FIFA 13 manager mode and that's about as close as that transfer is going to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hate to break up the Ronaldo to TFC talk and speak about something slightly more realistic but

CAN WE PLEASE GET A LOAN FOR DONEIL HENRY

The kid has all the physical tools to play the game at this level but needs to develop more. He isn't going to learn it all sitting on the bench. Loan him to Edmonton, Charleston, anyone who can give him minutes on a regular basis. PLEASE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    I'd hate to break up the Ronaldo to TFC talk and speak about something slightly more realistic but

CAN WE PLEASE GET A LOAN FOR DONEIL HENRY

The kid has all the physical tools to play the game at this level but needs to develop more. He isn't going to learn it all sitting on the bench. Loan him to Edmonton, Charleston, anyone who can give him minutes on a regular basis. PLEASE!!!
    I don't think sending Henry down there would do him much good. He'd be just as fine playing in reserve matches and getting minutes/practice time with the big club. I'm not against the idea of a loan, I just don't think NASL/USL is the place though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Everyone knows he's 19 right? A standard US/Canadian Football player at 19 would be training with their prospective college teams at this point. I'd say him learning through reserve matches and training with the first team would be more beneficial to a player of that age and experience than simply getting tossed into USL/NASL level waters and potentially picking up bad habits or getting busted up by some of the hacks they have flying around in the lower divisions. Now players like Bennett and T. Morgan, at their ages, are a different story. Them I'd loan out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Take a look for yourself. He's outfront ahead of everybody.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...69884985_n.jpg
    That's not full training. I want to know if he's been in a postion to have Bostock run through him. Or O'Dea go into a 50/50 with him. He'll need dozens of those before he even starts to think he could play in an MLS game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Davies: Bolton captain pulls out of Toronto move

Bolton captain Kevin Davies turned down a move to Major League Soccer side Toronto just 24 hours after reportedly being close to agreeing a deal.
    Having been told his contract would not be renewed, the 36-year-old could have made an immediate switch to Canada.
    "My family and I were naturally excited about the opportunity of going to Toronto on a short-term deal," he said.
    “I will be ready if the [Bolton] manager needs me and, hopefully, have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League”
    Kevin Davies

"But after legal advice we felt that certain obstacles put in our way were too large to overcome."
    The striker has not been a member of Bolton's recent squads and made the last of his 38 appearances this season on 16 March, but has now committed himself to the club for the rest of the Championship campaign.
    "It has been a complete rollercoaster since first speaking with [Toronto head coach] Ryan Nelsen on 18 April," said Davies, who signed a new one-year dealafter the club were relegated from the Premier League last season.
    "Whilst it has been the toughest month of my 10-year Bolton career, I remain, as I always have done, 100% committed to the club.
    "I will finish the season here and continue with my high standards as a professional footballer.
    "I will be ready if the manager needs me and, hopefully, have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder what kind of legal advice he is talking about? Good player but don't think he's what we need at TFC; and would only be a short term fix if that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davies would have been useful to have around. A short term fix on the field but a wealth of experience as a captain than would help the development of the younger players. I assume that was a big part of the reason we were in for him in the first place. Given our preferred formation i don't see the need to add another target man type forward to the roster.
    Last edited by JohnnyEnglish; 04-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    MLSE would have to sell the Maple Leafs to afford Cronaldo. Let's talk about things not in the realm of fantasy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argentinos Juniors confirm Laba sale: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...19LsLqGLAhm2aw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem with Davies was having his young family (im assuming wife and kid(s)) come with him for those 6 months. I think its most likely due to canadian immigration/visa laws. That sounds like a big enough hurdle that for 6 months he really didnt want to be away from his family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    I think the problem with Davies was having his young family (im assuming wife and kid(s)) come with him for those 6 months. I think its most likely due to canadian immigration/visa laws. That sounds like a big enough hurdle that for 6 months he really didnt want to be away from his family.
    This was actually my first assumption too. it can be a hurdle, even coming from a country that is a member of the Commonwealth (Cummings had the same problem). His family would not be able to come over immediately, and even after getting permission to come, the wife wouldn't be able to work. To be away from a young family; some people can do it (like Califf; kudos to him, must be tough) some people can't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    This was actually my first assumption too. it can be a hurdle, even coming from a country that is a member of the Commonwealth (Cummings had the same problem). His family would not be able to come over immediately, and even after getting permission to come, the wife wouldn't be able to work. To be away from a young family; some people can do it (like Califf; kudos to him, must be tough) some people can't.
    His family could get a 6 months visitor visa, no problem. You don't need to apply for it, just come into the country. But his wife couldn't work here, that's certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I heard Davies fell through I figured it probably had something to do with signing for the league instead of the team. The prospect of being passed around like roach is not appealing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that the signing would be announced today

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    I thought that the signing would be announced today
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...fer-toronto-fc

gotta be very close, as Laba is in Toronto. probably sorting out personal contract
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...fer-toronto-fc

gotta be very close, as Laba is in Toronto. probably sorting out personal contract
    I thought he was flying in on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

40 million.

Euros.
    Of course, playing or not, he's been one of the best wingers in football.

That's why he's $40M, although I think the point is valid, which is that the Spanish league is horribly, horribly overpriced, even for clubs in heavy debt (which is most of them).

Might be able to get a deal in the Segunda, though. Like, maybe a certain former U.S international central defender who hasn't been playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Of course, playing or not, he's been one of the best wingers in football.

That's why he's $40M, although I think the point is valid, which is that the Spanish league is horribly, horribly overpriced, even for clubs in heavy debt (which is most of them).

Might be able to get a deal in the Segunda, though. Like, maybe a certain former U.S international central defender who hasn't been playing?

Hes a defensive Midfielder or Defender.... awkward,,,,