Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Ok then. But please ease off on the scoring leader talk. Lol

2 penalties and two outright gifts.

And one penalty should never have been called.

Yes....he's the league leader but a little perspective please. His finishes were very good but I'll reserve judgement until we see some goals come from some normal run of play.

And yes...I know they all count but the Earnshaw love is a little premature.

Also...32 and 36 are very different. Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.
    C'mon man. This whole board was salivating at the prospect of TFC signing a 36 year old Del Piero not too long ago.

Quality is quality, regardless of a player's background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Would Payne/Nelsen really want a front line with Earnshaw, Koevs and Davies? I give them more credit than that.

I think Koevs is a warrior. But not many guys come back from a full torn ACL, at his age.

As to what we are "hearing" or "not hearing" .... as with Frings, I suspect the insurance settlement issues are dominating the news flow on this one.
    It could be that they were trying to get Davies as a stopgap until summer when Koev is supposed to return. If so, than it's possible that the deal fell through because he wanted a longer deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He runs at defenses every game. Lots of speedy strikers do this. They don't get gifted goals for their efforts every game though. Only when the defender messes up a brutally simple play. So yes...his pressure contributes, but the meat of the goal is in the poor defensive play.

First...that's what we thought about Earnshaw, only to learn that his signing is not a short term fix.

Second....I'm just saying that I've heard and seen comments over the years about other players and other teams signing over the hill players from other leagues (even Payne said he wouldn't be doing what he just tried to do) and I found it interesting that there was almost nothing negative to be said about is courting Davies until now, when we're told that it doesn't look like its happening.

Just think its a bit of an example of the EPL/UK bias in our market.
    He's gotten more of those than other speedy strikers. I agree they are bad defensive plays, but he's better than anyone at creating them, and never misses when he gets them. Someone once said you create your own luck. He deserves a bit of credit for it. Btw, MLS defences, even the best, commit at least a howler a game. That's MLS defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    C'mon man. This whole board was salivating at the prospect of TFC signing a 36 year old Del Piero not too long ago.

Agreed but now we're comparing the impact of a del piero to Davies?

Lets put it this way. Had we signed a 35 year old Marco divaio last year there would have been a hell of a lot of more "washed up" talk then we saw with this Davies business.

I know that can't be proven but it's still how I feel. Lol

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Right, and to compare Davies with Del Piero busts this theory. TFC scouting staff would do better working the many Serie B players itching for a chance to earn more money, than chase after a player such as Davies. Look, he may havebeen a good stop gap scorer but there are so, so any places around the soccer world, yet we keep landing the same fish. I like what Montreal is doing, and so far at least, they are doing much beter than us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.
    He's gotten more of those than other speedy strikers. I agree they are bad defensive plays, but he's better than anyone at creating them, and never misses when he gets them. Someone once said you create your own luck. He deserves a bit of credit for it. Btw, MLS defences, even the best, commit at least a howler a game. That's MLS defending.
    Agreed on that. His finishing has been awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Koevermans is in full training? ie. actually in a position to be tackled or go full into tackles? If he's not there yet, regardless of how the knee feels, he's months away. I hate to keep harping on it, but coming back from that injury takes a huge mental adjustment that will take him a while. If he hasn't had a chance to have someone take a full on run at his legs and survive, he's a long way from getting past the mental issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only is Earnshaw fast, but he's got a footballing brain and he anticipates things very well. A lot of players try and close things down, but Earnie seems to be ahead of other players thinking sometimes. We should definitely give him credit - the goals he scored are not JUST defensive errors, but also quick thinking and anticipation from Earnshaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets put it this way. Had we signed a 35 year old Marco divaio last year there would have been a hell of a lot of more "washed up" talk then we saw with this Davies business.

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol[/QUOTE]

Was there a lot of washed up talk when we signed a 34 year German International? I honestly don't remember.

Del Piero to Davis comparisons are silly - I do agree, but with the MLS contracts become a big issue as well. I'd be fine with Davies cheap for the season, I wouldn't be with him at league max. I also would have loved Del Piero, but not as a DP at his age, or not on a multi-year deal. To much risk tieing up that much cap in a aged player IMHO.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Koevermans is in full training? ie. actually in a position to be tackled or go full into tackles? If he's not there yet, regardless of how the knee feels, he's months away. I hate to keep harping on it, but coming back from that injury takes a huge mental adjustment that will take him a while. If he hasn't had a chance to have someone take a full on run at his legs and survive, he's a long way from getting past the mental issue.
    Light training with the team right now, not full from what I have read. I may be wrong, but they still say May / June
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Right, and to compare Davies with Del Piero busts this theory. TFC scouting staff would do better working the many Serie B players itching for a chance to earn more money, than chase after a player such as Davies. Look, he may havebeen a good stop gap scorer but there are so, so any places around the soccer world, yet we keep landing the same fish. I like what Montreal is doing, and so far at least, they are doing much beter than us.
    But this all boils down to where you have your connections. Neither Italy or England are terribly practical places for MLS teams to look for talent. In this case both clubs can be forgiven because their connections within these markets makes searching their passable. Should be of note though, that both clubs have looked other places as well to fill out their rosters. Montreal has a lot of non-italians that are contributing to their team, so I don't think it's particularly fair to pile all the success on one element of the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you are trying to say and don't even disagree with you but there would've been a fight if anyone had tried to argue with me that Di Vaio was over the hill.

Agree with what you are saying but wrong player analogy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol
    It really depends on if an older player is still playing a lot. Davies has played 31 games this season, so clearly he's still match fit, and good enough for selection for a Championship team. Di Vaio played 29 games for Bogonga the season before joining Montreal, so again he's clearly playing regularly and at a good level of football.

Now, if it was somebody like Michael Owen, who isn't playing at all for Stoke, then it would be a bad signing in my opinion.

Some older players clearly have some legs left, and some clearly don't come mid-thirties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realise Owen was a bad example as his legs had clearly gone by the time he'd hit 25!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him
    Do you know anyone who was actually at the forum? All I've seen is an unconfirmed tweet from one coach... and if it's just one person, he may have misheard him. I wouldn't start looking for Kaka yet.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Some older players clearly have some legs left, and some clearly don't come mid-thirties.
    It all boils down to this. Simple really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

Was there a lot of washed up talk when we signed a 34 year German International? I honestly don't remember.

Del Piero to Davis comparisons are silly - I do agree, but with the MLS contracts become a big issue as well. I'd be fine with Davies cheap for the season, I wouldn't be with him at league max. I also would have loved Del Piero, but not as a DP at his age, or not on a multi-year deal. To much risk tieing up that much cap in a aged player IMHO.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. As long as the guy is or was one of the better players in the world at one time (del piero, Frings) it's okay to sign an old guy. Which I totally agree with.

I'm just bothered that the other exception seems to be if a guy used to play in a league that a lot of people grew up watching. Lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Do you know anyone who was actually at the forum? All I've seen is an unconfirmed tweet from one coach... and if it's just one person, he may have misheard him. I wouldn't start looking for Kaka yet.
    there is interest from Kaka to play in MLS though
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    And Lampard. Not sure about Ronaldinho now though. He has revived his career in Brazil and is getting a look in with the National team. I don't see him leaving before WC2014, if at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... Call me crazy, but they want eyeballs right?

Payne said best player in the league, that includes Henry, that will probably fill seats....

Sure are a lot of Portuguese in the area, not saying anything about race here, but I can think of somebody that might peak some interest world wide and potentially fill the stadium like crazy...

Aha, oh I almost let myself believe that for a second...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Posted on MLS.com who generally just write attention grabbing crap? Sometimes it seems that every star player over 30 wants to play in MLS and that we have clones of ever under 30 star player in our league already. Not to mention every goal is a golazo and every rival match is a SuperClasico or <insert stolen rival match name here>

Their approach makes me vomit sometimes.

As for Kaka, I recall he said he said "one day, but not now".....and there's no way if it ever happens, that he doesn't land in NY or LA. It's impossible in a Garber run MLS.

I have a hard time reading much into MLS written articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not making direct comparisons, but my general point stands. Davies was not a world class striker in his prime, but he still has a considerable football pedigree, and that's why there was little skepticism. It has nothing to do with his nationality.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Hmm... Call me crazy, but they want eyeballs right?

Payne said best player in the league, that includes Henry, that will probably fill seats....

Sure are a lot of Portuguese in the area, not saying anything about race here, but I can think of somebody that might peak some interest world wide and potentially fill the stadium like crazy...

Aha, oh I almost let myself believe that for a second...
    Do you believe unconfirmed tweets? I don't. I don't know if Payne ever said any such thing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you believe unconfirmed tweets? I don't. I don't know if Payne ever said any such thing.
    Oh heavens no, I don't even believe what KP says straight from his mouth anymore, not saying he's lying but he gets ahead of himself.

But it's fun to speculate who's Going to Tear This League Aparttm next

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll ask Payne tonight if I see him, if that statement is true. Let's see what comes from this tweet!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Posted on MLS.com who generally just write attention grabbing crap? Sometimes it seems that every star player over 30 wants to play in MLS and that we have clones of ever under 30 star player in our league already. Not to mention every goal is a golazo and every rival match is a SuperClasico or <insert stolen rival match name here>

Their approach makes me vomit sometimes.

As for Kaka, I recall he said he said "one day, but not now".....and there's no way if it ever happens, that he doesn't land in NY or LA. It's impossible in a Garber run MLS.

I have a hard time reading much into MLS written articles.
    Owner of SKC said Kaka's agent approached about signing for SKC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look for yourself. He's outfront ahead of everybody.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...69884985_n.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...
    It would be a player around the stage in his career like Obafemi Martins. Still with something to offer but too far gone to attract offers from good to top clubs.

We ain't getting Isco if that's what you're asking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Take a look for yourself. He's outfront ahead of everybody.
    Everybody is running the same direction, but there appears to be two players ballroom dancing in the back......oooohkay!