Page 38 of 288 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 8618
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

I don't know any specifics though.
    I really wish everyone from Payne on down would shut the hell up about it (& all other players they're chasing) until the player is signed, approved by MLS, here, and with his name on a jersey in a press conference. And not drop hints at coaching sessions or Academy events, in the media, or anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This only makes sense to me if Koevs is done.
    Disagree. It also makes sense if we got him on the cheap for the year. Koeves is not a 90 minute player, and he will have to have his minutes managed. Using Davies sparingly at his age makes sense.

That said, it does seem like this is Plan B after Urrati.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    You can't torture us like that! lol
    it probs wont happend until summer...if it happends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

I don't know any specifics though.

Dero on a DP contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I really wish everyone from Payne on down would shut the hell up about it (& all other players they're chasing) until the player is signed, approved by MLS, here, and with his name on a jersey in a press conference. And not drop hints at coaching sessions or Academy events, in the media, or anywhere.
    It's a balance that he's yet to find yet between keeping the insatiable fan base happy - remember all the complaining during preseason that we weren't getting any information? Or how the media breaks a rumour days before the official announcement - and making sure he doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

I for one agree with you Auzzy. Wait until everything is signed, sealed and delivered. Let the forums and media do the speculation - the team should be the official record - as long as they are transparent and truthful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luis Suarez? Since he'll have fuck-all to do until November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Davies confirming the approach and naming Nelsen is very meaningful.

I think we have learned that Koevs is done.
    Why? All of the indications eminating from the TFC camp have indicated the contrary, that Koevs' recovery is ahead of schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Why? All of the indications eminating from the TFC camp have indicated the contrary, that Koevs' recovery is ahead of schedule.
    He's expressed desire to play after his stint here. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves in the summer window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Dero on a DP contract?

HAHAHAHA
    Good thigh slapper of a joke!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Luis Suarez? Since he'll have fuck-all to do until November.
    Suarez? Nah, I heard he's signed on a short-term deal with Borussia Munchonacentreback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.
    You're living in the past dude. The Leafs are the second youngest team in the NHL.

Get with the program!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think the bigger issue is people coming online to get half-assed reports. If you restricted yourself to the official TFC site, you wouldn't see any of the garbage/speculation/jibber-jabber.

If you want to hear an announcement when it's official, stay away from twitter, forums, and even the newspapers if you have to.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I think the bigger issue is people coming online to get half-assed reports. If you restricted yourself to the official TFC site, you wouldn't see any of the garbage/speculation/jibber-jabber.

If you want to hear an announcement when it's official, stay away from twitter, forums, and even the newspapers if you have to.
    Various TFC reps (Payne, Nelsen, and others) have hinted or promised things in various interviews, meetings, apparently a few days ago at an Academy event, etc. Plus some of the media reports have clearly come from club reps. It's getting old. They could just say "we're always looking to improve our team" and leave it at that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him but I'm sure that's subjective, unless it's like, Kaká or something.

Personally, I have no idea who he's talking about. I'd love to see Toronto poach Frank Lampard though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    36 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex epl player.

And the top scorer in the league was a '32 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex lower devision player' before coming to Toronto.
    Last edited by Greatest Ripoff; 04-24-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.
    Didn't they (Leafs) make the playoffs though, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by auzzy View Post
    suarez? Nah, i heard he's signed on a short-term deal with borussia munchonacentreback.
    rofl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Dero on a DP contract?

Yuk, not that snake in the grass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really sure what you are on about here. Of the 27 players under contract with this team only 5 players are over the age of 26. How exactly would added one extra veteran be building this team with 'old geezers'?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Not really sure what you are on about here. Of the 27 players under contract with this team only 5 players are over the age of 26. How exactly would added one extra veteran be building this team with 'old geezers'?
    I meant Davies is an 'old geezer'.

Don't get me wrong. Davies would be awesome for a contender. TFC isn't a contender. Davies has a no future for TFC going forward. I'd rather give playing time to youngsters
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Didn't they (Leafs) make the playoffs though, lol
    With the youngest team in the league.

Also Davies has said he is not coming.
    Last edited by mdc 77; 04-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They said similarly complementary things about Frings before they bought him out. If there's one thing to take away from the current management team is that you need a very strong filter.

If I had to guess, we're all being conditioned not to foam at the mouth with speculation every time something hits the press.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Payne/Nelsen really want a front line with Earnshaw, Koevs and Davies? I give them more credit than that.

I think Koevs is a warrior. But not many guys come back from a full torn ACL, at his age.

As to what we are "hearing" or "not hearing" .... as with Frings, I suspect the insurance settlement issues are dominating the news flow on this one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him but I'm sure that's subjective, unless it's like, Kaká or something.

Personally, I have no idea who he's talking about. I'd love to see Toronto poach Frank Lampard though.
    That must be a pretty frickin good player considering this guy is still in the league:

I wonder whether it's a forward or a midfielder. Ronaldinho maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    And the top scorer in the league was a '32 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex lower devision player' before coming to Toronto.
    Ok then. But please ease off on the scoring leader talk. Lol

2 penalties and two outright gifts.

And one penalty should never have been called.

Yes....he's the league leader but a little perspective please. His finishes were very good but I'll reserve judgement until we see some goals come from some normal run of play.

And yes...I know they all count but the Earnshaw love is a little premature.

Also...32 and 36 are very different. Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant Davies is an 'old geezer'.

Don't get me wrong. Davies would be awesome for a contender. TFC isn't a contender. Davies has a no future for TFC going forward. I'd rather give playing time to youngsters
    People are remarking on your comments, not because you called Davies a geezer, but because you accused the Leafs of rebuilding with geezers, which is inaccurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok then. But please ease off on the scoring leader talk. Lol

2 penalties and two outright gifts.

And one penalty should never have been called.

Yes....he's the league leader but a little perspective please. His finishes were very good but I'll reserve judgement until we see some goals come from some normal run of play.

And yes...I know they all count but the Earnshaw love is a little premature.

Also...32 and 36 are very different. Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.
    He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.
    Sigh... Really? What is your basis for this statement? First, I don't see anyone thinking this would be anything other than a short term solution. Second, I can't recall any 36 year old player (seriously) linked to TFC who was not ex EPL and would not be a DP

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody really good, not too young and not too old. About 28-31 then.

Contract coming to an end this season.

Either an international or ex international.

Better then Dunfield and Weideman.

I'll believe it when I see the guy holding up a TFC shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.
    He runs at defenses every game. Lots of speedy strikers do this. They don't get gifted goals for their efforts every game though. Only when the defender messes up a brutally simple play. So yes...his pressure contributes, but the meat of the goal is in the poor defensive play.

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Sigh... Really? What is your basis for this statement? First, I don't see anyone thinking this would be anything other than a short term solution. Second, I can't recall any 36 year old player (seriously) linked to TFC who was not ex EPL and would not be a DP
    First...that's what we thought about Earnshaw, only to learn that his signing is not a short term fix.

Second....I'm just saying that I've heard and seen comments over the years about other players and other teams signing over the hill players from other leagues (even Payne said he wouldn't be doing what he just tried to do) and I found it interesting that there was almost nothing negative to be said about is courting Davies until now, when we're told that it doesn't look like its happening.

Just think its a bit of an example of the EPL/UK bias in our market.