Page 37 of 288 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC fanatics could be described as "hundred times bitten, two hundred times shy" so I understand some of the hesitation...but the arrival of Kevin Davies should be taken in stride and understood as a part of a larger strategy. It appears that he is being offered a 1 year deal and does not take a designated player slot. If he can play 70 minutes some games and arrive off the bench for the last 20 from time to time he could be worth the gamble. I think that the late game struggles are not simply defensive errors, the other team can pressure because TFC does not have the talent to counter. Even if Davies comes into games as a wise, experienced player who can draw fouls and keep the ball away from the other team, he could make the difference for May and June.

Danny Koevermans is returning in the months ahead. A skillful and selective return would be wise for the player and the team, so a solid Davies helps there.

If TFC is already waiting for the arrival of Matias Laba, the 21 year old Argentinian midfielder, so the look to the future aspect is to be enhanced by the arrival of a young designated player.
    There remains the issue of Taylor Morgan, an international player who is not even on the bench. It would be wise to find a loan for him or he maybe cut before July 1?
    The summer is the time where a designated player signing could be in the works. We fans don't know who the TFC target is, but we know it is a thin squad and the additions so far could also prove to be short term (Earnshaw, Bostock and Ephraim).
    Not every signing is going to be a saviour superstar. It is possible to get something from a stop gap measure and get more from somebody else later in the year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    My understanding is that he's a holding midfielder. What's wrong with Silva/Osorio?
    Lack of experience is the main knock - but I hope to see a them both get a lot more playing time.

Have to mention, if Laba secures up the midfield in a more defensive fashion, that will give Silva/Osario a better platform to create from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counting chickens before the eggs depth:

-----------Koev-------Earnshaw-----------
    -----------Davies-----Braun--------------
    -----------Weideman---Welshman-----------
    -----------Bennett----T.Morgan-----------

-----------------Silva-------------------
    -----------------Bekker------------------

---Ephraim--------------------Lambe------
    ------------------------------Bostock*---

-----------------Laba--------------------
    -----------------Dunfield----------------
    -----------------Hall--------------------
    -----------------Osorio------------------

-A.Morgan--O'Dea------Califf---Eckersley-
    -Richter---Agboss'----Henry----Russell---
    -Emory-----------------------------------

-----------------Bendik------------------
    -----------------Frei--------------------
    -----------------Roberts-----------------

F, D, G appear solid.

Midfield has some pieces, but how does it all go together? I think this emphasizes our real need would sit at the wings. We've used Bostock on the side, but he should really be listed with Silva and Bekker as an AM.

Toronto, short of three 90th minute fails could be at 13 points, and a top 5 team right now. We can't blow late leads if we have a 2 goal cushion. We have the players, we have the depth, and the chart should show that. We're just really lacking good enough (not great) wingers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    For those of you that didn't know, Kevin Davies has committed more fouls than any other player in the history of the Premier League and he is also one of the most fouled.
    In other words, the first match refereed by Baldomero Toledo will see him out on a red card within the first 5 minutes.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex epl player.

Interesting.

I just hope this "temporary" fix doesn't turn out to be permanent like a few of the previous "temporary" additions have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh for sure. Hopefully he can help the organization in the box defending corners and kicks. Plus his height gives us another air presence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    36 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex epl player.
    So 28 starts and 6 subs this season equals sparsely used? I guess most of our squad will be sparsely used by season's end then.

And 6 goals and 6 assists isn't terrible for a guy coming here on loan to be a physical target man. Don't expect a lot of goals like Koevermans provides but more of a presence up top like Dichio provided. For a short term fix he could really help Earnshaw out.

Plus as said, he is good in the air.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This only makes sense to me if Koevs is done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davies isn't coming now. Issued a press release stating that there were contractual issues at the last minute that made him change his mind. Oh well... back to the drawing board.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    Davies isn't coming now. Issued a press release stating that there were contractual issues at the last minute that made him change his mind. Oh well... back to the drawing board.
    Seriously?
    Lemme guess... that deal that Houston almost had with him has screwed things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    A link is always useful.
    http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/201...the-time-being

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From SBNation - http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/201...the-time-being

Per the Bolton News, a contractual issues has cancelled the deal. Major League Soccer's primary transfer window ends on 6 May and re-opens in late July. The Toronto move is not completely dead in the water, just not happening yet.
    Davies issued a statement on the matter:
    "It has been a complete rollercoaster since first speaking with Ryan Nelsen on April 18. As it stands today I will not be leaving for Toronto FC, as reported.
    My young family and I were naturally very excited about the opportunity of going to Toronto on a short term deal but after legal advice we felt that certain obstacles put in our way were too large to overcome.
    "Whilst it has been the toughest month of my 10-year BWFC career I remain, as I always have done, 100 per cent committed to the club. I will finish the season here and continue with my high standards as a professional footballer. I will be ready if the manager needs me and hopefully have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League.
    "I would like to thank all the fans for their support. As the season and my time with Bolton comes to an end, we will look at the offers received from clubs in both the UK and abroad and decide where my family's future will be.
    "I have some fantastic memories of the last 10 years and feel honoured to have been the captain of this great club for the last five years. Hopefully, it will finish with a fairytale ending."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Davies is still holding out for a dream exit at the Reebok with a play off final game. If I was him, I'd probably want to play that big final game too, so I don't blame him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This only makes sense to me if Koevs is done.
    I posted something previously around the same lines. We need help in the midfield where there is a serious lack of depth. Davies would definitely help, but we could use something a bit different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davies confirming the approach and naming Nelsen is very meaningful.

I think we have learned that Koevs is done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.
    Signing him for 6 months would not be part of the rebuild. It's just to stay competitve for the rest of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Davies confirming the approach and naming Nelsen is very meaningful.

I think we have learned that Koevs is done.
    You might be right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Signing him for 6 months would not be part of the rebuild. It's just to stay competitve for the rest of the year.
    i can't see Davies moving his family for a 6 months in NA. i think more like year and half deal
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't wild about the Davies deal but it was an ok back up plan. What's the back up to the back up plan now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

I don't know any specifics though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow..how things change in a matter of hours....what a joke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm also glad he's not coming. Looks like Nelson reached out to him once the Urruti deal looked dead. No need to rush for short-term fixes. Now we can save an INT spot for someone younger who'd be around past this season.

Although I wonder what last-minute obstacles he was talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

Whoever it is, he'll wait until we've announced his signing before spiking the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im going to be really depressed if Koevs is done, favourite player to me like Dichio.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Im going to be really depressed if Koevs is done, favourite player to me like Dichio.
    great TFC players don't get to retire gracefully

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

You can't torture us like that! lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    i can't see Davies moving his family for a 6 months in NA. i think more like year and half deal
    I wonder if that's what spiked the deal? Payne & Nelsen have been very interested in short-term deals or even loans for guys coming over. Might have been too much of a risk for Davies, to come over with his family for a deal that only lasts until the end of the year or whatever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contractual issues sounds like pay or insurance. Oh well...