Page 275 of 288 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,250 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    grr... landy cakes + keane and klose.....
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    No surprises there.

TFC is after Italian national player and EPL player as DP's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meh, they can have him. He's nearing the end of the line, and I'm really not interested in signing any more 35 year old DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    grr... landy cakes + keane and klose.....
    Isn't Omar Gonzalez signed on as a DP as well?

I'm not sure how I feel about not getting Klose - I think relieved, but part of me would still be excited to watch him play here.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Isn't Omar Gonzalez signed on as a DP as well?

I'm not sure how I feel about not getting Klose - I think relieved, but part of me would still be excited to watch him play here.
    Maybe Landy heads to Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonzalez is on a young DP contract, IIRC.

That article looks like agent talk - its not certain he is going anywhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Gonzalez is on a young DP contract, IIRC.

That article looks like agent talk - its not certain he is going anywhere.
    nope. too old, and in either case 'young DP' still counts to total DPs allowed per team
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I vehemently disagree with that statement. This is a fantastic sports city that is starving for a winner. As long as TFC stays in the playoff hunt they'll draw 18-20k every game. This season was the low point of the franchise, playoffs were out of reach by July, there was yet another regime change with little hope for the future, and 15800 people still showed up to watch TFC take on the only team in the league worse than them.

If TFC can improve to become a mediocre MLS team (no easy task considering they're about 15 points short), the crowds will return. They don't have to be an elite team, just get to the level of a Columbus or New England who at least still have a chance at playoffs in the fall. We haven't had games that mean something in September and October for the last 3 years.
    Had an interesting discussion the other day about whether or not should TFC start winning, even make the playoffs, are they at best the Toronto Rock Part II?
    Successful but still a second/third tier day out for fans?

I'm slowly leaning towards thinking this is the case, not because the sport isn't followed by many, many Torontonians and surrounding areas, but because of the way the F/O has damaged the relationship with many of the core supporters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Had an interesting discussion the other day about whether or not should TFC start winning, even make the playoffs, are they at best the Toronto Rock Part II? Successful but still a second/third tier day out for fans?I'm slowly leaning towards thinking this is the case, not because the sport isn't followed by many, many Torontonians and surrounding areas, but because of the way the F/O has damaged the relationship with many of the core supporters.
    In terms of success, I'm not even sure we're even in the same league as the Rock yet, lol. But I get what you mean, and yes, I'd agree. With the Leafs and Jays in town, TFC will be 'second-tier' for the foreseeable future, even if they do achieve some kind of success. Even the Raptors, I think, could see an uptick in their fortunes over the next few years, even if the team doesn't necessarily improve, I can see interest in the league in general growing because of the increase in Canadian content (Wiggins, Bennett, et al). It's a shame that not all soccer fans in this city are TFC/MLS fans - if this were the case, definitely TFC could become first-tier with success. There's no question this is a city that loves soccer on a general level. But as long as there are folks out there who won't give MLS a chance because they perceive it as being inferior, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ If TFC put a good product on the field the general football supporters in this city would get behind it, but you cannot sell what has been the reality of tfc on the pitch to people that have grown up with football as a solid product, hence the relative lack of support for tfc v. the real place of football support in this town. Do not blame the supporters blame MLSE for failing to capitalize on a huge fan base. If they build a winning tradition you could have a 40,000 regular attendance in this town. he could be the North American power house. They failed not the supporters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Of course, the product has been crappy, and that is the biggest deterrent for people to come out to matches. But I'm not blaming the fans - I'm saying that there is fractured support for the sport in this city. There are definitely still "Eurosnobs" in existence who have never been to a MLS game. Yes, MLSE's management of this franchise has been brutal since day 1, but I'm just emphasizing that if everyone who liked the sport got behind this club, we could be a 'first-tier' team in this city. Even if TFC was a winning club, I still think there would be many who thumb their noses at MLS who wouldn't be on board. Just like many who follow American football consider CFL to not be worthy of their time and money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay on topic my dearest friends
    Klose = mah.

BTW, anybody read the Fergie lashout on Beckham? Some juicy stuff there. I'm not sure I would want a DP of that high caliber to come and poison the locker room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Klose = mah.

BTW, anybody read the Fergie lashout on Beckham? Some juicy stuff there. I'm not sure I would want a DP of that high caliber to come and poison the locker room
    Yeah, he also said there was no footballing reason why he should go to America. Unfortunately, that's going to be the perception for a lot of possible DPs. Makes it hard to get anyone with a bit left in the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Klose = mah.

In fairness though he lashed out at everybody lol in the small article I read , he had a pop at Becks, Rooney, Keane, Benetiz, Gerrard, and I am sure there are many more to follow in his new book which will no doubt end up as many people's xmas present.

To get back to your first point re klose, there is no doubt he still has goals in him but we should be looking at bringing younger players in. I actually don't see him coing to MLS anyway, he'll head back to Germany I 'm pretty sure of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klose to LA...loool; only if he wants to sign a non DP contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody thought of Robinho, market value is 7,500,000 €, 29 years old. But 2 problems, not the hardest worker, injury prone. Other then that he is a very skillful player with a great attacking mind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    Anybody thought of Robinho, market value is 7,500,000 €, 29 years old. But 2 problems, not the hardest worker, injury prone. Other then that he is a very skillful player with a great attacking mind.
    guys like him are not good competitors. I want guys like Keane who has hunger to win, regardless of what league he plays in. Robinho? Nightlife in America is too distracting
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Robinho's been trying for a move back to Brazil for like 2 years now, he wants to go back home. Not that I'd say no to a player of his skill level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    Scored a nice goal today. Too bad he only shows up when he wants to.

Best way to keep him motivated is with a top coach and one-year contracts. Not gonna happen. But someone of his skill level and market value, yes please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Vancouver needs a RB next season. Lee was making 196k base, 231k guaranteed.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...d?ICID=HP_BN_3

Ecks can go there and sign a multi-year for that range, they get their RB, TFC gets its cap space and Ecks can continue working on getting nationalized for MNT. Look at me solving problems!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Looks like Vancouver needs a RB next season. Lee was making 196k base, 231k guaranteed.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...d?ICID=HP_BN_3

Ecks can go there and sign a multi-year for that range, they get their RB, TFC gets its cap space and Ecks can continue working on getting nationalized for MNT. Look at me solving problems!
    Caps have dumb people, but they aren't that dumb to take Ecks at 400k salary

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I think that Ecks knows that he is on the way out, my guess is that it is his contract that gets bought out this year.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we are talking about the cap in another thread.... This is an example of where we can possible make a move that looks bad right now but is reasonable once the new cap comes into play. Ecks at 250k now is bad but at a cap of 4.5mil it won't be, if we can get him citizenship while reducing his salary now it could be a good signing moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I agree. Just hopeful another Canadian team would be willing to trade for him and offer an extension in the 200k range. I don't expect TFC to keep him even if he's willing to take that number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I vehemently disagree with that statement. This is a fantastic sports city that is starving for a winner. As long as TFC stays in the playoff hunt they'll draw 18-20k every game. This season was the low point of the franchise, playoffs were out of reach by July, there was yet another regime change with little hope for the future, and 15800 people still showed up to watch TFC take on the only team in the league worse than them.

If TFC can improve to become a mediocre MLS team (no easy task considering they're about 15 points short), the crowds will return. They don't have to be an elite team, just get to the level of a Columbus or New England who at least still have a chance at playoffs in the fall. We haven't had games that mean something in September and October for the last 3 years.
    Just be competitive, I have said this before TFC don't have win it all, but dear god win us more than a handfull of games and be in the bloody games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba's doing well, good to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/nelse...ope-went-well/

The Europe trip went well according to Nelsen. Here's the CP article on it.

Edit: Apparently, he went to Tottenham.

While Nelsen did not detail his itinerary, his travels took him to his former club Tottenham where talented striker Emmanuel Adebayor has been surplus to requirements this season. But the 29-year-old Togo international reportedly makes north of 125,000 pounds a week (C$210,000 or close to $11 million a year). That’s rich — for MLS and MLSE.
    Last edited by Haddy; 10-23-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please to god sign Eddie Johnson. Hes such a competitor. He is always looking to win and although he has had a bad attitude this year, I think Nelsen can keep him under control.

Screw trying to get two quality strikers from abroad. We need proven MLS talent and this is it.
    Lets play a bloody 4-2-3-1. And between the front 4 we should have the two DPS, Johnson and then can have a combination of Rey, Convey and even Osorio in the next slot.

A little more then what Ecksley makes would bring him in. I say Eddie Johnson at 250-275 would be a good hit. Ecks for Eddie swap on the books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Please to god sign Eddie Johnson. Hes such a competitor. He is always looking to win and although he has had a bad attitude this year, I think Nelsen can keep him under control.

Screw trying to get two quality strikers from abroad. We need proven MLS talent and this is it.
    Lets play a bloody 4-2-3-1. And between the front 4 we should have the two DPS, Johnson and then can have a combination of Rey, Convey and even Osorio in the next slot.

A little more then what Ecksley makes would bring him in. I say Eddie Johnson at 250-275 would be a good hit. Ecks for Eddie swap on the books.
    Eddie's looking for more than that. He did 'a DeRo' some games back. And this week he threw another tantrum.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-unspecified-

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give you him being consistant.

First ever goal scored at BMO, he goes and and taunts the South End.

Spending much of this season whining about not being a DP.

No thanks.