Page 27 of 288 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the 4-4-2 coming once these folks come in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having 3 quality strikerswon't be an issue this year... play 2 of them and bring the 3rd on later in the game with some fresh legs to take advantage of a tired D. We will be getting to point where we are playing 3 games in a week so having quality depth will be key to our teams success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, assuming this is all happening, anyone know how the onboarding will work? Is there a spanish speaking assistant coach (god knows we have enough of them, hat tip to Domin8r for pointing this out).

We should not simply have a translator a la Cesar. Teams that do this right have a spanish-speaking soccer presence in the room, and have loads of external help available to help these players get settled and sorted out. Toronto can be a tough city for newcomers. It's the sort of issue TFC historically pays massive lip service to (Beirne in particular has spun yarns about this at club events) but has been poor at actually doing.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    His Market value: 1.200.000 € and we are get him on loan because we can't afford player like him.
    Once DK leaves at the end of this season, we will be able to afford a player like him, dependent of course on how well he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Big fan of DK but I don't think he will play 90 minutes this season.
    The team reported the other day (per Wileman during the game) that his rehab is ahead of schedule and he could be playing by May.

Knee operations are pretty routine these days. i think people writing off a guy with a strike rate like Danny are perhaps overestimating MLS a little bit. If we get 15 games out of him in the second half, we'll probably get 9 or 10 goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, assuming this is all happening, anyone know how the onboarding will work? Is there a spanish speaking assistant coach (god knows we have enough of them, hat tip to Domin8r for pointing this out).

We should not simply have a translator a la Cesar. Teams that do this right have a spanish-speaking soccer presence in the room, and have loads of external help available to help these players get settled and sorted out. Toronto can be a tough city for newcomers. It's the sort of issue TFC historically pays massive lip service to (Beirne in particular has spun yarns about this at club events) but has been poor at actually doing.
    I agree this is important. Plus, since it looks like the deals may work out after all, you need something new to worry about.

I think at least two of the "first team staff" speak Spanish. Plus it may help that we have Louis Silva and Jonathan Osorio on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming we have all these guys at the club and healthy at some point, I'd like to see us play a 4-1-2-1-2. Laba at CDM, Silva at CAM, and whoever is in the best form between Urruti, Earnshaw and Koevermans up top, with the odd man out coming off the bench.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Tor.../20722876.html

With conventional North American media confirmation comes the Matias Laba thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...88#post1572988
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If both laba and urruti play great here and koev returns in good form is making the playoffs not much of a longshot anymore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    If both laba and urruti play great here and koev returns in good form is making the playoffs not much of a longshot anymore?
    no, so long as players stay healthy. We're pretty frigging deep up front, but we don't have much in the way of quality defensive midfield players, and on the back line we're extremely thin. We're going to have to pray that the injury bug stays away if we're aiming for the playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There still Rumors of Park coming to MlS,

Ji-Sung Park possibly coming to MLS (VAN or TFC) this summer.
    http://www.eightysixforever.com/2013...umors-continue

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...g-park-1815289

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    There still Rumors of Park coming to MlS,

Ji-Sung Park possibly coming to MLS (VAN or TFC) this summer.
    http://www.eightysixforever.com/2013...umors-continue

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...g-park-1815289
    I still think Park to LA makes the most sense. I never understood the Lampard stories, and Park would sell a serious quantity of tickets in LA.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    its more of with Laba and Urruti coming in and playing well the playoffs become a longshot, and we can actually hope to squeeze in near the end of the season. Right now its a 'no expectations season' which means we're giving Payne/Nelsen a chance to do what they need to do and gain some stability. Frankly this team has no experience in the MLS Playoffs do we even have any players who have been there before? Even if we squeeze in I wouldn't count on much.

Laba and Urruti are indeed looking like two quality signings. The type of young player our Academy doesn't have the resources to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    The type of young player our Academy doesn't have the resources to grow.

How exactly is true? Are these two players of a higher qualitity than Dylan Carreiro, Michael Petrasso, Keven Aleman or Tre Crosby? Or are you saying Toronto doesn't have the resorces to keep it's top academy players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    How exactly is true? Are these two players of a higher qualitity than Dylan Carreiro, Michael Petrasso, Keven Aleman or Tre Crosby? Or are you saying Toronto doesn't have the resorces to keep it's top academy players?
    I'm saying Canada at a youth level cannot grow players at a successful rate like Argentina.
    It's been debated before, and is still in high debate about Canadas youth team, how children should be playing, at what age should they be learning to do this, and that.
    Its a debate for another thread, but I just thought id clear up what I meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree that Argentina can produce much better footballers than Canada, but if these players were on that level they they wouldn't be on their way to Toronto. Some very talents kids have come out of TFCA over the past couple of years but have been loured away up by European clubs. I definitely think Toronto has the ability to grow young players on the same level as Laba and Urruti but the most talented players will usually end up overseas. For me, the biggest problem moving forward for Toronto will be retaining their brightest youth players and finding a way to advance them to the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that the MLS isn't friendly to nurturing talent given its physical nature. You could be Kevin Alemen and have super technical ability but is getting boshed around on a day to day basis best for development? Every academy kid isn't Brek Shea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alexander Lopez. the phenom from honduras was rumoured to MLS and would he still potentially be on his way this summer? He has something like 8 goals and 21 assists in 26 games?!?!!?. Plug him in behind Urruti....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The team reported the other day (per Wileman during the game) that his rehab is ahead of schedule and he could be playing by May.

Knee operations are pretty routine these days. i think people writing off a guy with a strike rate like Danny are perhaps overestimating MLS a little bit. If we get 15 games out of him in the second half, we'll probably get 9 or 10 goals.
    DeKLERk about a month ago, or more, said Koev's looked great and was working out hard and seemed about 6 weeks away. Never underestimate his heart either.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    DeKLERk about a month ago, or more, said Koev's looked great and was working out hard and seemed about 6 weeks away. Never underestimate his heart either.
    I know that Koev will be back. I know he'll be slotting in goals, and I know that if anybody comes near his knee when Dunfield is on the pitch he'll have a big problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Koev will be back. I know he'll be slotting in goals, and I know that if anybody comes near his knee when Dunfield is on the pitch he'll have a big problem.
    inforcer style? maybe Dunfield CAN secure his spot as a starter after all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this topic, BMO better give Koef a big Zakuani-style reception when he makes his return.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    On this topic, BMO better give Koef a big Zakuani-style reception when he makes his return.
    They are obnoxious as fuck, but air raid sirens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a big fear that Koev will never be back, or at least never be the same player again. The moves that are being made seem to made without koevermans in mind. And not many players of his age can recover from that type of injury. I hope Im wrong, I really do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet Koef is physically fine at this point. But it takes a lot to shake the feeling you're going to wreck your knee again every time you go in a tackle. That'll be the hard part to get in game shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find it interesting that Argentinos Juniors president Luis Segura told Argentinian media yesterday that the club has not received any offer from Toronto FC or MLS. From what you have reported Argentinos Juniors has received an offer from TFC for Matias Laba. Is the president saying BS? In that same quote the reporter says other leaders say otherwise and that an offer was received weeks ago.

Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite 14h # AAAJ Luis Segura denied that make an offer to the club reached by Matias Laba of MLS.Otros leaders say they arrived a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...0Laba&src=typd

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^misinformation happens all the time in football.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I bet Koef is physically fine at this point. But it takes a lot to shake the feeling you're going to wreck your knee again every time you go in a tackle. That'll be the hard part to get in game shape.
    Anyone who has injured a knee knows exactly what you are saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't there comments from fans of Argentinos that Laba is "the type of player you don't want to lose mid-season" and essentially a big part of their team? The president probably just doesn't want to admit they're selling one of their best players.

edit: On mobile so won't link but Larson just tweeted "An injury to Laba or Urruti would quash deals". Everyone cross your fingers.
    Last edited by notthesun; 04-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Anyone who has injured a knee knows exactly what you are saying.
    Yup, I crumbled just jumping in the concourse on Saturday.

Slightly related, are you allowed to wear an athletic knee brace in a game?