Page 269 of 288 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,070 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the board upped it to 40 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Beckham was 32 and on the outs at Real Madrid. And he always had visions of American grandeur. Not the same at all.
    He turned down AC Milan to go to LA - so it's not like he didn't have options to continue playing at the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I heard the board upped it to 40 million.
    Wasn't it that the board approved 26 mil? and now TL has mentioned that it will take 40 up front and 16 on an annual basis to get some of the deals done?

I wish i remembered who/which article i got those numbers are from
    Last edited by Pint; 10-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's just nuts and is a lot of dough for two players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really, if you add in transfer fee into the equation

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not if over a couple of years you can make the $ back from Jersey sales alone.

In 2007 alone, over 300k Beckham jerseys were sold.

Then tack on sold out crowds at home and away, increased value for TV rights etc and it isn't hard to justify $50m Transfer for ONE player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Wasn't it that the board approved 26 mil? and now TL has mentioned that it will take 40 up front and 16 on an annual basis to get some of the deals done?

I wish i remembered who/which article i got those numbers are from
    That was my article, according to members of SG111 who attended a meeting with Tim Leiweke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Not if over a couple of years you can make the $ back from Jersey sales alone.

In 2007 alone, over 300k Beckham jerseys were sold.

Then tack on sold out crowds at home and away, increased value for TV rights etc and it isn't hard to justify $50m Transfer for ONE player.
    At the end of the day I care about the performance of the players, Its not my money but you can have non DP players give you 20-30 goals, just takes a bit of scouting.

I have this frustration with spending 40m on 2 players rather than 22 but that's just the way MLS is setup and I dislike it.

I just want to see us win for a change already, I don't like hoping on 2 players to save us.
    Last edited by Richard; 10-13-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article on how Portland built its team: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...breaking-depth

They traded for proven MLS players that were unwanted by their teams because of their salary. Then they signed a (400k) DP AM to run their offense through.

It's something TFC can do this offseason because of our cap space and allocation. This is where I hope Bezbatchenko can use his knowledge to target players who might be deemed expendable for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Toronto is the 4th largest market in mls and I'd argue the largest soccer market.
    But if the players were actually of a Rooney / Balotelli stature (they won't be) who you are competing with will be the other clubs at the very top. LA and NY1/2 will drop contracts on a moments notice because it's a unique opportunity. We have a fair number of things to sell, but won't win that battle.
    Anyway, I wish we'd just get off this because it's so far away from reality it's pointless to discuss. It's borderline fantasy, forget speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really though. Imagine how far that. Money would go if it was spent on other places.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Lazio supporter and I can tell you that this guy became a hero for Lazio. Great finisher, but needs service. Problem with him is he can't stay fit for a whole season. If you sign this guy, it needs to be followed by a playmaker dp. Guy can still score 10-15 in serie a and only play 2/3 of the season. Reminds me of another former serie a player that came to the mls and ripped it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see him going to Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I could see him going to Chicago.
    I don't think Chicago has the money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Chicago has the money.
    Chicago has been one of forerunners when it comes to DPs. (Blanco comes to mind) The owner, Andrew Hauptman is pretty rich, and his wife Ellen is daughter of Charles Bronfman, who is a Canadian billionaire.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Chicago has been one of forerunners when it comes to DPs. (Blanco comes to mind) The owner, Andrew Hauptman is pretty rich, and his wife Ellen is daughter of Charles Bronfman, who is a Canadian billionaire.
    Blanco only made about 2 million bucks Klose would be closer to 5.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blanco only made about 2 million bucks Klose would be closer to 5.
    my point is, Chicago won't hesitate to pull the trigger if the right player comes. the owner can afford the money

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the only thing in the way of Klose coming here is the World Cup. Would he move to the MLS from Serie A in the months leading up to the WC? I suppose Germany's depth at ST is pretty thin...

Has anyone thought of Eto'o? He's a name, Leiweke would like that. Still has quality, would be 33 if he arrived for the start of next year which isn't bad at all. WC isn't an issue - Cameroon might not qualify and if they do he's a shoo-in no matter what. Hasn't had the greatest of starts at Chelsea, they might sign a ST in January and they'll surely hold onto Lukaku next year. And we know he'll play anywhere if you pay him enough.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off of the Portland thing.. We need to grab up these players this year.. We should have taken Will Johnson last time around folks.. Boy that would have changed things alot.. Will Johnson and Laba in the middle of the park.. That is what we really do need folks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Off of the Portland thing.. We need to grab up these players this year.. We should have taken Will Johnson last time around folks.. Boy that would have changed things alot.. Will Johnson and Laba in the middle of the park.. That is what we really do need folks.
    you're also assuming Will Johnson was interested in playing for TFC

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see what names we end up with in the end. My question is: why is Bezbatchenko going on that trip with Leiweke and RN to Europe? Seems a bit odd to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Will be interesting to see what names we end up with in the end. My question is: why is Bezbatchenko going on that trip with Leiweke and RN to Europe? Seems a bit odd to me.
    He played professionally, albeit low-level. It doesn't hurt to see who you're talking about when your crunching numbers, if you're cultured enough to recognize small technical details. I'm not, but he might be. On top of that, these guys recognize that on the business side, people expect to do some talking in person. It's part of their subculture and helps ingrain their sense of entitlement. It's also usually completely unnecessary but it's one of the less-harmful things people ingrained in business subculture do.

EDIT: (Potentially. We don't know yet as much as we should about how tribalism and group belief for the strength of numbers foments vis-a-vis secondary parties that have yet to be tested for trust. It's pretty early-stage cognitive science. But we can probably assume that like most meetings of mutual assurance between two sides, it somewhat engenders our execs to execs, players and agents overseas, which could be good or bad, depending on whether charismatic factors that only emerge in face-to-face meetings influence the proceedings over-and-above logic. Maybe Tim B has been sent along to keep things on a purely unemotional level, to keep Nelsen and Tim L's decisions in logical check. I somewhat doubt it, although it's a nice "moneyball" fantasy to hold.)

EDIT 2: I really need to get out more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ AHHHH!!! What??!!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I feel like the only thing in the way of Klose coming here is the World Cup. Would he move to the MLS from Serie A in the months leading up to the WC? I suppose Germany's depth at ST is pretty thipn...
    The latest quote from Klose makes it clear he wants to move after the World Cup, which is when his contract is up. Whoever we sign will be announced in January but join in July.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    The latest quote from Klose makes it clear he wants to move after the World Cup, which is when his contract is up. Whoever we sign will be announced in January but join in July.
    I think this is likely, but hopefully one will join in Jan

if both joins in Jul, essentially 2014 is another write off. And no matter how much TFC FO will spin it, it can't look like anything else

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why everyone is going nuts over Klose.

The guy is 36 years old. One bad tackle or a misplaced stride on the turf monster will put this guy out for a whole season.

This is Frings 2.0 just waiting to happen.

I for one hope this signing never comes to life.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is going nuts over Klose.

The guy is 36 years old. One bad tackle or a misplaced stride on the turf monster will put this guy out for a whole season.

This is Frings 2.0 just waiting to happen.

I for one hope this signing never comes to life.
    People are hoping to get a Marco di Vaio Mk2 instead of Mista Mk2. Hell, even Nesta played more games this season than I expected.

If TFC signs a good DP at age 30 ish who will last 4 ish years for continuity, and an older DP for 2 years 'short term' fix, I can see this happening too
    Last edited by Yohan; 10-14-2013 at 12:45 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chances are not in our favour with a 36 year old, just look at Koevs and how he was tearing the league up until the injury. My hope is they target someone under 32 and can at least give 4 or more years.

I know age shouldn't be the only barometer, but Klose does have a lot of mileage.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    EDIT: (Potentially. We don't know yet as much as we should about how tribalism and group belief for the strength of numbers foments vis-a-vis secondary parties that have yet to be tested for trust. It's pretty early-stage cognitive science. But we can probably assume that like most meetings of mutual assurance between two sides, it somewhat engenders our execs to execs, players and agents overseas, which could be good or bad, depending on whether charismatic factors that only emerge in face-to-face meetings influence the proceedings over-and-above logic. Maybe Tim B has been sent along to keep things on a purely unemotional level, to keep Nelsen and Tim L's decisions in logical check. I somewhat doubt it, although it's a nice "moneyball" fantasy to hold.)

EDIT 2: I really need to get out more.
    That I understood what you are saying somewhat scares me.