Page 243 of 288 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,290 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Following up on an earlier Franco di Santo rumour...

Seems he's close to a four year deal with Werder Bremen.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/we...9336.bild.html
    Dunne Deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's hope for all our sanity this deal gets done today. It would be nice to finally get this soap opera over with. Now is like to know who this other signing is that is coming next week that Payne keeps talking about.

I'm thinking there could be a good chance he surprises us with a major DP as all the attention and focus of the media and fanbase has been Urutti. Plus there have been no real rumblings an they were very vocal about Urutti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    No chance in hell that Koev's accepts a low salary.
    He'll either head back to Holland and play out his twilight with a dutch team or he'll retire.
    True, but trying to negotiate a lower salary is the sensible thing to do, much like Darren O'Dea, if not go for another option. If Koev's had not got that terrible injury last year, but you know how it goes.

Hoping for him to come back into form, but I feel it may be a miracle.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Torsten nabbed him!

Its on their site, 4 year deal is done.

http://www.werder.de/en/aktuell/news/45932.php
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I'm thinking there could be a good chance he surprises us with a major DP
    It's going to be the player KP mentioned would join in January. My money is on them announcing the pre-contract.

So yes, it will be a major DP "to help shape the club for years to come". How big of a name is anyone's guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Now is like to know who this other signing is that is coming next week that Payne keeps talking about.
    Given the speed the Urrutti thing is taking place, "next week" could end up being next MONTH! Hope not though. I'd like to see this team have some real teeth towards the end of the season. Playoffs ain't happening for us, but I'd love to ruin someone else's chance by not being a cake-walk.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Urrutti saga is incredible. I guess the court involvement was probably because there was a legal question as to whether Urrutti could void his contract over unpaid wages. Props to the MLS FO and to ML$E for very hard work to get this done (and if Cochrane was somehow involved (maybe getting KP coffee or photocopying) without messing things up I'll even give props to him).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really understand the amount of energy the TFC FO has spent and is spending on this. The opportunity cost, the time not spent on findiing other players, is immense. The biggest window of the year was a big fizzle for us.

Is this really the only fish in the ocean?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't really understand the amount of energy the TFC FO has spent and is spending on this. The opportunity cost, the time not spent on findiing other players, is immense. The biggest window of the year was a big fizzle for us.

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect what happened, ensco. How could they? At least KP salvaged something out of a situation that few managers would have been able to, especially in MLS. The strong league connections that KP and TL have probably helped immensely,
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They chased a lot of other players. This was one they scouted and hoped for but from what I hear plenty of energy was spent on looking at and attempting moves on others.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the impression not a lot of the window was spent on Urruti because he only became available again very recently - just before the window closed. As for other players, I think they were trying hard to get them, but they failed.

The jury is still out on this period. We don't know whether Rey or Elmer will be useful players. We still need to see if Payne et al were correct in thinking Urruti has big potential in MLS. And we don't know who the about-to-be-signed DP is ... IF we even get him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You're not a true F5 warrior.
    (NOBODY DARE STEAL MY TSHIRT IDEA!!!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope that the expectations IF we sign Urruti are appropriate. I think we need to give him to at least the start of the 2014 season to bed into a new league, team, lifestyle etc. I hope he's not chased out of town by people who think he will be the instant new hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I just hope that the expectations IF we sign Urruti are appropriate. I think we need to give him to at least the start of the 2014 season to bed into a new league, team, lifestyle etc. I hope he's not chased out of town by people who think he will be the instant new hero.
    Yup. This post should be tattooed to the forearms of all TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    No chance in hell that Koev's accepts a low salary.
    He'll either head back to Holland and play out his twilight with a dutch team or he'll retire.
    think he's settled here; also can be eligibile to become a domestic next summer

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    think he's settled here; also can be eligibile to become a domestic next summer
    To become domestic? How, by what rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be eligable for PR next summer as he would have been here 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Permanent CDN resident.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If koev gets permanent residency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he'll have lived in the country for 3 years; meaning he can apply to become a permanent resident, which would then, under MLS rules, count him as a domestic player, not an international.

I believe Richard Eckersley has already started going through this process

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way Koev is back next year, he'll be 35 years old with a recent history of injuries. Payne will save that DP spot for someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    No way Koev is back next year, he'll be 35 years old with a recent history of injuries. Payne will save that DP spot for someone else.
    you don't think he'd take a non-dp salary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If koev gets permanent residency
    ..and also depends whether Koev's and the family want to stay in Canada or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    They chased a lot of other players. This was one they scouted and hoped for but from what I hear plenty of energy was spent on looking at and attempting moves on others.
    I'm sure they are saying this. Question is whether to believe it. I don't know.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    he'll have lived in the country for 3 years; meaning he can apply to become a permanent resident, which would then, under MLS rules, count him as a domestic player, not an international.

I believe Richard Eckersley has already started going through this process
    Could be the first step, in the negotiation process to a somewhat reduced salary? Hopefully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    It's going to be the player KP mentioned would join in January. My money is on them announcing the pre-contract.

So yes, it will be a major DP "to help shape the club for years to come". How big of a name is anyone's guess.
    Hope so. Just after the Forlan deal died it seems that there are really no big name DP targets that have really been linked to us that would seem like a deal they could get done next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    Given the speed the Urrutti thing is taking place, "next week" could end up being next MONTH! Hope not though. I'd like to see this team have some real teeth towards the end of the season. Playoffs ain't happening for us, but I'd love to ruin someone else's chance by not being a cake-walk.
    I'm not banking on it getting done next week. Expecting more of the same next week, next week rhetoric. I hope not but time will tell. I'd like to be able to have all our major pieces in place going into next preseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They may take a non-DP salary for a year and then offer him a role with the club. Who knows how much he has left in the tank and if Koev can let go of the game.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were pretty open about their efforts, maybe too open. Nelsen made trips, Payne made trips (that were not reported on here) as well, the name list that I heard was all over the map. There were days where my wikipedia skills were put to the test.

Not much point dwelling in it now though. They seem to have got the guy they have targeted for some time and are planning on what future moves to make. Not a big fan of dumping Silva when they did but the rest of the summer moves seemed to have cleared the deck pretty well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Yep.

Sure, there was a lot of chatter on here and other sites about the saga that has taken place but that should not raise or lower expectations of what they player will bring to the team. Sometimes a process takes a lot longer than anticipated. This does not necessarily mean the player is worth more or better. It just means there are unexpected hurdles to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to know because they won't name names, but - as one example - there were stories in the foreign press about TFC reaching a transfer deal with Maxi Moralez's club, only to have Maxi shoot it down because he didn't want to come here. Also, they were definitely going after Forlan. Either would have made a solid DP.

Perhaps the greater concern is that, even after clearing space and throwing big money around, they failed to get the guys they went after. But those details aren't known.