Page 23 of 288 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I'm guessing that there is a bigger salary considering their pedigree.
    Really? Russel was on a month to month contract with Portsmouth in League 1 who were under administration because they had no money. I'd be extremely surprised if he is getting paid that much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is one possibility. Which is that Urruti is on an expiring contract and is already signed, but it's not disclosed. But that would be unprecedented.

I can only think of one similar case: Beckham, when with Madrid, was signed by the Galaxy before his contract expired. But it was announced when done. It was so unusual, such a violation of the code, that Capello blew his stack and banished Beckham (then brought him back when RM had injuries late that year).

I feel safe in saying that Urruti's situation is not comparable Beckham's

Are you not thinking of the bosman ruling? It happens, but not to high profile players because clubs would be screwed out of a large transfer fee.

"This ruling meant Bosman and every other EU footballer were free to negotiate deals to any other EU based team after their current contracts expired, they were also allowed to sign pre-contract deals with other clubs if they had six months remaining on their current deals"

http://www.lawteacher.net/sports-law...man-ruling.php

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yes. But that setup is exceedingly rare. Someone earlier called it "common enough" and cited Holtby and Spurs, but that's the only other example (besides Beckham) that anyone has found. That's against the literally thousands of signings that happen the traditional way (ie after the contract has expired).

Signing early like that is considered disrespectful, both on the part of the player, and on the part of the signing club.

I think it's highly unlikely. I just think MLS isn't anxious to stick a fork into the eye of the Argentine Leagues like that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norwich signed RvW to a contract for next season while he is finishing his current season at Sporting. That's another example off the top off my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Sporting signed Labyad to a contract before his deal with PSV was done as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anybody is going out of the international slots, I suspect it would be Lambe and Morgan. Ephraim and Bostock have more value for Nelson, and probably more importantly, Payne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If anybody is going out of the international slots, I suspect it would be Lambe and Morgan. Ephraim and Bostock have more value for Nelson, and probably more importantly, Payne.
    Ephraim won't stay. He's on loan anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'm pretty sure Sporting signed Labyad to a contract before his deal with PSV was done as well.
    And when Hunter Freeman was here he had a deal in place already in whatever Northern European league he went to. It is common enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this report is also correct about us going after an attacking midfielder in the summer I'd assume he'd take Ephraim's spot on the left anyways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK that's 4 or 5 examples. I'm sure there are others. Against the hundreds of signings (thousands) each year. It's rare. Also it's disclosed.

Guys, it's a free country, so we'll agree to disagree.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiki has urruti on loan with TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If I was venturing a guess... Morgan was probably told he'd be signed to a short term deal and would be given a bit of time to make something happen or just gain experience. Since TFC wasn't going to use the spot right away in any case it's no harm, no foul.

But he probably knows he's liable to get cut the second we need flexibility. You could call it cruel world, but it's actually fairly pragmatic of TFC and hey, they actually gave him a run-out when other clubs wouldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think T. Morgan has something to offer this team but I don't think he'll get his chance, unfortunately. He looked a lot better than Braun in pre-season for instance, and Braun is a guy who'll probably find another MLS team to play for when (that's a when, not if) we get rid of him this year.

I hope Morgan can find another club if we do have to cut him loose.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think T. Morgan has something to offer this team but I don't think he'll get his chance, unfortunately. He looked a lot better than Braun in pre-season for instance, and Braun is a guy who'll probably find another MLS team to play for when (that's a when, not if) we get rid of him this year.

I hope Morgan can find another club if we do have to cut him loose.
    T Morgan was the best striker coming out of pre season. KP had no idea who he would be able to sign in coming weeks, so he signed Morgan as a 'just in case' situation.
    Turns out that Earnshaw is a stud and Morgan needs a loan badly.

I don't understand why TFC is not loaning young players to NASL/USL. Someone needs to ask KP about that
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't understand why TFC is not loaning young players to NASL/USL. Someone needs to ask KP about that
    Logic overload!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK that's 4 or 5 examples. I'm sure there are others. Against the hundreds of signings (thousands) each year. It's rare. Also it's disclosed.

It's certainly not the norm. I agree with you there. And don't disagree that this deal feels a bit weird somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can agree to disagree. In fact I'll go so far to agree that it is rare, but it is not unusual, as you first suggested. A simple google search turns up more examples. Marco Pappa, Henry, Pepe.... The reaction to it on the part of Capello at Milan was what was unusual.

All that said, I don't know that this is necessarily the case here. Though, as you've pointed out, MLS and its clubs are not the best at disclosing anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Logic overload!
    Yup!

Morgan and Bennett are obvious loans to other clubs. These are guys for the future and need game time at almost any level. TFC might benefit in the long run by having these guys out on loan to a lower level team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't Bennett like 24 years old now? He should be done with his development and start contributing to first team. I never understood why players like Bennett (limited upside) were signed to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne talked about loans earlier this year and he was among the first to actually use them within MLS at DCU. Not like he's unaware. Unfortunately, the prior mgt team didn't see much value in keeping relatiions with other clubs so we're starting this race from further back.

While I agree this is important to figure out, it wouldn't be top of my list of things that need fixing right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Isn't Bennett like 24 years old now? He should be done with his development and start contributing to first team. I never understood why players like Bennett (limited upside) were signed to begin with.
    cheap depth
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never understood why players like Bennett (limited upside) were signed to begin with.
    You're forgetting the dire state of the roster at the beginning of the year. Bennett, T. Morgan, Russell, Ephraim, and Earnshaw were signed basically the day before the first match and Bostock was signed soon after. I think all these players were brought in because they needed to sign someone. It was the best Payne/Nelson could do on such short notice thanks to the previous regime's incompetence. Once they start bringing in players they've scouted these stopgaps can make room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    cheap depth
    I understand with salary cap we need to sign some cheap depth players, but it wouldn't be better to sign someone younger who has more upside than some 24 year old rookie from NCAA?
    Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    You're forgetting the dire state of the roster at the beginning of the year. Bennett, T. Morgan, Russell, Ephraim, and Earnshaw were signed basically the day before the first match and Bostock was signed soon after. I think all these players were brought in because they needed to sign someone. It was the best Payne/Nelson could do on such short notice thanks to the previous regime's incompetence. Once they start bringing in players they've scouted these stopgaps can make room.
    I understand, but I think TFC FO panic a bit and made some bad signings (Braun and keeping couple of college including one who counts as an international player). Hopefully, end of the season we have a better roster and depth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand with salary cap we need to sign some cheap depth players, but it wouldn't be better to sign someone younger who has more upside than some 24 year old rookie from NCAA? I understand, but I think TFC FO panic a bit and made some bad signings (Braun and keeping couple of college including one who counts as an international player). Hopefully, end of the season we have a better roster and depth.
    Part of the problem for us is that MLS rules protect players from being thrown out onto their asses (this is a good thing overall)

We weren't able to liquidate the team so KP did his best, I would venture a guess that 12 months from now we have nearly none of the players from 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand, but I think TFC FO panic a bit and made some bad signings (Braun and keeping couple of college including one who counts as an international player). Hopefully, end of the season we have a better roster and depth.
    Panic? Need, yes. Payne and Nelson did the best with their contacts to augment the shit squad they inherited without burdening the squad or the budget with the long-term inflated prices and egos that come with panic. Short term solutions that may work into something or not, yes, but I wouldn't point to any of the signings as evidence of panic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Part of the problem for us is that MLS rules protect players from being thrown out onto their asses (this is a good thing overall)

We weren't able to liquidate the team so KP did his best, I would venture a guess that 12 months from now we have nearly none of the players from 2012.
    Unless something has changed, most MLS players are on non-guaranteed contracts and can be waived at any time, assuming the team wants to eat the cap hit. If he clears waivers he can be released outright.

It wasn't until the last CBA, I believe, that some players started receiving guaranteed contracts. I believe Braun is on one, strangely enough, and Eckersley too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Urruti on the bench for Newell's in their Libertadores match right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely disagree with you, but this happens all the time. But the disrespect thing is an issue, which is why it's always involving guys who are out of contract and it's already been publicized that they won't be returning. Those are almost never first team players, so it never gets much publicity.

But lots of people agree terms with their new club as soon as the Bosman window opens to negotiate, and that's in the January window, six months before most deals expire. A lot of backup players or players who've been transfer listed for a while (keeping in mind the depth in the top leagues) know they're not going to be playing anyway. One of the reasons you see low-fee transfers in the European January window is because teams will take the decreased fee knowing that if they don't, they're going to lose the player anyway, or release him. So a lot of backups and cast-offs sign deals months before moving, and it's openly known, as is required.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^jloome, I will stand aside. You and others appear to know more about this.

But if as you say it's always disclosed, much of my point stands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Unless something has changed, most MLS players are on non-guaranteed contracts and can be waived at any time, assuming the team wants to eat the cap hit. If he clears waivers he can be released outright.

It wasn't until the last CBA, I believe, that some players started receiving guaranteed contracts. I believe Braun is on one, strangely enough, and Eckersley too.
    IIRC all players over 23 or 24 are on guaranteed contact unless they are specifically on loan or on a set short term contract with options.

KP uses the loans and short term contracts with options, as I understand it, TFC did not before.

If you released the entire squad you would have had $1m of cap left.