Page 2 of 288 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally thank Gerber for stepping in when Anselmi and his gang of idiots were running the team. I also thank him for "interfering" and getting us a qualified manager (Payne) to run things, instead of letting Tommy appoint Cochrane president (* shudder *). It may or may not work out with Payne, but you can see that Garber has the long-term viability of the franchise at heart, something that ML$E was doing their best to destroy in their stupidity. One of the great things about this league is that they can step in and prevent self-destruction, something we've seen time and time again in leagues overseas. Garber only uses that power when he absolutely has to, he prefers to be much more hands of than his predecessor, Doug Logan was.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack@KristianJackExclusive: Toronto FC close in on Argentine forward Maximiliano Urruti to be their next DP http://wp.me/p2UTyX-4P #tfc #mls

EDIT: And presumably Kristian means "young DP" as he is only 22.
    Last edited by Lucky Strike; 03-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New DP?

http://4-2-3-1.com/2013/03/06/exclus...their-next-dp/

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximiliano_Urruti

Maximiliano Urruti ( February 22 of 1991 , Rosario ) is a football player Argentinian playing at Newell's Old Boys . He is the son of Juan Jose Urruti , former football player and current coach of Sacred Heart (Rosario). Maximiliano has a 1-year with 7 goals scored for Newell's.

http://youtu.be/3CVh8hBMJJg
    Last edited by PopePouri; 03-06-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds promising.

Quick question: what ever happened to that one highly touted Honduran dude - Arnold Peralta (?) Wasn't it all over the Honduran press that he was signing with us or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    New DP?

Maximiliano Urruti ( February 22 of 1991 , Rosario ) is a football player Argentinian playing at Newell's Old Boys . He is the son of Juan Jose Urruti , former football player and current coach of Sacred Heart (Rosario). Maximiliano has a 1-year with 7 goals scored for Newell's.

Not sure I am too happy about signing someone with complaints re: racist comments attributed to him. He seems to have skills, but right now, I'd rather get a winger/play maker.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    New DP?

Interesting. Could be true and could be a good addition.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    sounds promising.

Quick question: what ever happened to that one highly touted Honduran dude - Arnold Peralta (?) Wasn't it all over the Honduran press that he was signing with us or something?
    Clubs came to terms but player didn't want to make the move, 2nd time he's done that in his career apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know who on the roster is on non-guaranteed contracts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, Koevs is gone.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If true, Koevs is gone.
    Why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or Earnshaw isn't resigned in the summer. If Koevs is ready to go. That still remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Clubs came to terms but player didn't want to make the move, 2nd time he's done that in his career apparently.
    Read somewhere that Peralta hasn't been getting paid by his club, and he refused the transfer because he didn't want his current club to get a transfer fee when they haven't paid his wages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why?
    They play the same position. This would be recreating the Hassli problem.

I wouldn't expect anyone to use 2 DP slots at CF.

Only exception might be someone who put fannies in the seats (ie Del Piero). But otherwise, it's dumb.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only exception might be someone who put fannies in the seats (ie Del Piero). But otherwise, it's dumb.
    I agree but some articles on Urruti mention he can play as a supporting striker too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely wait to see how this guy performs on the pitch before any decisions regarding other players are concerned. If he's versatile then maybe they can co-exist. Any anyways, Koev's injury is definitely career threatening. Signing another center forward is pretty crucial for this team right now and it really shouldn't have any bearing on the players already here. I'm sure Danny himself wouldn't want more depth at that position. Same thing with Earnshaw. we need the reinforcements.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Kristian Jack@KristianJackExclusive: Toronto FC close in on Argentine forward Maximiliano Urruti to be their next DP http://wp.me/p2UTyX-4P #tfc #mls

EDIT: And presumably Kristian means "young DP" as he is only 22.
    WOW. Now that sounds like a fucking DP. Like the age, like the highlight reel, like the skill on show. Plus kid looks like he has a rocket launcher on his foot.

Con: he's from South America, and this is a direct, physical league with relatively less emphasis on technical skill. Still definitely worth the gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC can't get rid of Koevermans unless they trade him (for shit all), which would be a pretty dumb thing to do halfway through the season in his last season and no shortage of cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    TFC can't get rid of Koevermans unless they trade him (for shit all), which would be a pretty dumb thing to do halfway through the season in his last season and no shortage of cap space.
    They can buy him out? i believe you get 1 buy out that does not go against the cap,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's likely Koevermans gets in, at best, half a season, if that. The problem with recovering from knee injuries is half psychological. When I did mine in, it took me a few months before I could even go into a hard tackle without fear. He's a professional athelete obviously and will have a different mentality, but it's still going to be tough for him. That's if the physical part is ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    They can buy him out? i believe you get 1 buy out that does not go against the cap,
    They already bought out Frings. That applies to only 1 DP in a year.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    For some reason that I have not been able to work out some on this forum would like Dunfield put up against a wall and shot.

While I agree that he is not a superstar he works very hard, shows leadership on the field and scores key goals. He had the two best chances on Saturday by being in the right place at the right time although he probably should have scored with the header. He seems to be thought of quite highly by the coaching staff as Winter, Mariner and now Nelsen all put him out there.

I can only think that the haters either don't know a useful player when they see one or perhaps they are Man United fans who resent that he played for City.
    Haters? What football are you watching? Go back to last year's matchday threads and look at what was being said about Terry's performances.

Bottom line, Dunfield should not be starting for this team. Period, full stop. If you think otherwise, you're not watching closely enough. I don't give a rat's ass about hard work. I care about results. If achieving results require hard work, then so be it - the two aren't mutually exclusive. I commend Chad Barrett for his incredible work-rate, but am I sad he's gone? No, because for all his hard work, he couldn't get any RESULTS. If Silva works half as hard as Barrett to score more goals, you're going to tell me you'd rather have Barrett on the team and heap praise on him?

I think it's fashionable around these parts to love and adore players for their workman-like attitude, the great "heart" they put on display every weekend. But what no one is talking about is how we love and adore hard-working LOSERS.

I think sooner or later, the current regime hopefully will see things the same way, and Terry, the utility player that he is, will become a valuable 65th minute substitute brought on to seal wins for us by shutting up shop in the midfield against opponents who are tired out and more his speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They already bought out Frings. That applies to only 1 DP in a year.
    No they did not? they convinced him to retire, and did not use the buyout, And even if they did buy out Frings we will never know.
    Last edited by andmat; 03-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koevs/TFC are in a bizarre situation

He is owed $1.5 million. But he may not be able to play. If he can't play, TFC can recover some or all of that salary. but nothing can be determined until he is ready to "play", ie in June.

There is a high likelihood he can't play, but I would guess that TFC won't do anything that might queer the insurance settlement. There's no way they'd just "buy him out". But it's obvious he may be done.

How this all works with the March 1 buyout date, requires a level of knowledge of league rules that is not disclosed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    No they did not? they convinced him to retire, and did not use the buyout
    Buyouts can only be used in the offseason, and you're out of your mind if you think Frings gave up ~2m to retire because the team wanted him to. Payne already said that they came up with a solution that satisfied both parties, which sounds like a buyout to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ He retired, yes, but you don't think he got paid out? I'd say, morally, they should pay him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfiled works hard. - Agreed
    Dunfield is effective? - NO!
    Dunfield should be kept in the team? - YES!
    Dunfield as starter? - NO!

Dunfield works really heard and had a few converted chances and scored few big goals (by probability and law of average, he will convert some of the chances, but he shanks more chances as we've seen). He does give it all and is a true warrior (keep in the team). He is disruptive to the opposition (tackles hard, will throw the body into challenges, albeit not nimble, but destructive to the play). Unfortunately, he's also disruption to our game flow. He stifles midfield movement with poor first touch, long reaction time, and lack of movement. It's all about opportunity cost, having Dunfield in the starting 11 may see him score a few goals and make some good plays, but the cost of that is: we could have someone else that has way better with movement, first touch and ball control (Silva, Bekkar, Ephraim, Earnshaw for instance). When the likes of Silva, Bekkar, Ephraim, Ecks takes 1 touch to trap/receive the ball, 1 touch to pass it and making movement before/after receiving pass (All of that takes 1 second combined), we see Dunfield takes 1 heavy touch and have to retain control, then looks up to see what he'll do, then have to either back pass or side pass because he was not in position or not making movement into next position (All of that takes 2-3 seconds, and opposition has closed the gap and has time to challenge him), our possession went from active to passive.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Buyouts can only be used in the offseason, and you're out of your mind if you think Frings gave up ~2m to retire because the team wanted him to. Payne already said that they came up with a solution that satisfied both parties, which sounds like a buyout to me
    Yes. They can call it anything they want, but that has to be how it worked.

As outlined for Koevs above, some of this may have taken the form of an insurance settlement - that's my guess as to what the mystery trip to Toronto, where he left camp 10 days before this was announced, was all about, ie. Frings getting checked out by the insurer's doctors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing he won't play again. If he's physically ready in June, he's going to need more time on top of that to get into game shape i.e. lose the fear that it's going to go again on him when he gets into real game situations. That puts into the late summer. It's really doubtful I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is there still a tireless debate about Dunfield?

He is what he is; a hard working central midfielder that is best suited as a late game sub for defensive reinforcements who can also chip in the odd goal. No better, no worse.

I think it's safe to assume that Nelsen will not be using him as a regular starter once our roster is healthy.