Page 174 of 288 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What I want to know is who's the guy in all the interviews that still using a mini cassette recorder?
    Molinaro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What I want to know is who's the guy in all the interviews that still using a mini cassette recorder?
    To be fair, they're probably easier to hold, when compared to all the other wafer-thin phones and misc. devices available.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Ryerson's first year of journalism school, we were prohibited from using any sort of recording device, and had to take notes for everything. Every assignment, every interview, every article had to have written notes. After that, any ​recording device is a blessing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman on twitter just tweeted this saying : Kevin Payne told me today TFC still hoping to add a Designated Player and also a young DP before transfer window closes in couple of weeks.

Payne also said TFC hopes to announce another DP signing who will join club in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
    Luke Wileman on twitter just tweeted this saying : Kevin Payne told me today TFC still hoping to add a Designated Player and also a young DP before transfer window closes in couple of weeks.

Payne also said TFC hopes to announce another DP signing who will join club in January.
    Time will tell. I hope he's right!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to figure out what he means exactly. Are they still going to sign a young DP under some yet-to-be-introduced rule? Meaning we get two "DP"s now and another one in January? Or is it two total and one of them joins next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what he means exactly. Are they still going to sign a young DP under some yet-to-be-introduced rule? Meaning we get two "DP"s now and another one in January? Or is it two total and one of them joins next year.
    I assume it will be after Koev's contract expires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he meant 2 DPs during the current transfer window and another DP in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct. Kovermans contract ends at the end of the season. Don't think he will be back with TFC. Too injury prone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KP has said in the past that he wants to have 2 Dp's and 2 Young Dp's. So with Laba as a young Dp, and Koev's as a regular Dpc we still (according to him) have 1 regular Dp and 1 Young Dp slot available for this year. Then Koev's contract expires at the end of this year so it will open another regular Dp slot for us to sign someone in January

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Announcement months ahead of time? Or a player announced in Jan who will join in Jan?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Announcement months ahead of time? Or a player announced in Jan who will join in Jan?
    That is an excellent point.

If they are not joining until January, but being announced now I think that makes the Brazilian league where they would be coming from.

Hmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva scores another nice long range effort:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/...-dc-early-lead

Olsen seems to really like him:
    http://www.dcunited.com/news/2013/07...s-july-27-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post

this is a horrible deal unless we get something good for that allocation. A young DP of Laba quality, preferably a striker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colour me confused with this post; quite sure there's a Former TFC player/coach thread, where this would be more than appropriate.

You seem to be on a mission to make everyone aware of how good Silva is, despite the general consensus here being that it's a tough loss and that he was likely one of our only players with any trade value. Save for one or two, he's already known as a quality player around here; some may suggest he could stand to be a bit further along in his development and, with turning 25 this year, it might be too late to expect a much different player to what he is today.. but, that's taking nothing away from what, in a settled midfield, he can bring to the table.

Considering our situation, I think something had to be done and a decision made as to whether he would be enough to carry us forward -- to dominate games as an AM; there is some unrest now, because the other shoe has yet to drop, but I sense relief is right around the corner.

At any rate, good on the lad Silva for finding some motivation, in a new environment; I'll always remember when he was off to a similar start for us, against L.A., no less -- have to fight off tears, every time I watch those highlights (context of what the game meant to us and also with the, then recent, passing of his father).
    Last edited by JuliquE; 07-28-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It definitely stings to see Silva lighting it up for DCU, but if TFC uses the allocation wisely and Osorio continues to impress as an AM, it will make the trade more palatable.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-28-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you believe that they'll bring in a DP CAM then it makes a lot sense to move Silva.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Colour me confused with this post; quite sure there's a Former TFC player/coach thread, where this would be more than appropriate.

You seem to be on a mission to make everyone aware of how good Silva is, despite the general consensus here being that it's a tough loss and that he was likely one of our only players with any trade value.
    Given that TFC has yet to "close the loop" on Silva by bringing in replacements for him, I thought it appropriate to post here. IOW, evaluating what was given up for what you receive in return.

I am not on a mission as you suggest. I have not posted here very frequently (15 posts over several years?) and some other regulars have been discussing Silva in addition to me (someone else posted a link to his goal from the prior match and my guess is that the same would have happened this time around). I thought my posts had a rather neutral tone... he scored another great goal and he has a coach that appreciates him (which is a change from Toronto where he had to endure 4 coaches over 1.5 years including one who said he wouldn't have drafted him if it was his choice).

But with that said, I'll leave any future posts regarding Silva to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva may be scoring for DCU, but the team are still losing and his defensive work rate is most definitely a part of that.

Osorio > Silva and because he's from the academy i don't believe he counts as heavily against the cap, and is 3 years younger. Def something to consider.
    Last edited by sashavukelich; 07-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Silva may be scoring for DCU, but the team are still losing and his defensive work rate is most definitely a part of that.

Osorio > Silva and because he's from the academy i don't believe he counts as heavily against the cap, and is 3 years younger. Def something to consider.
    I'm going to come off as a homer or something, but I'm probably the least impressed by Silva of anyone on this board. I think he has exceptional technical skill and vision, but his work rate during games is not at a professional level and his movement is near non-existent (in terms of finding space himself and receiving passes).

He has a lot of potential, but he's getting to the age where if he doesn't start playing with some frenetic determination, he won't be an impact player in the long-term.

The reason a guy like Brockie who has tons of natural athleticism but not great technique scored more goals in fewer games (and on a much worse team) in the A-League than Del Piero is that his work rate is second-to-none. He's always on the ball when possible. Ditto with Osorio. They don't ball watch, they move, move, move, move.

When I was a kid, the best soccer coach I had had a rule: no walking. He would make you jog between plays for the very reason that he wanted people to feel urgently involved. Each player only gets so many touches per game; if all they do is try to dribble off pressure and look for a safe release pass (Lambe, Dunfield, usually Hall) or a through ball (Silva), they become one-dimensional players, dependent on perfect tactical flow-through to win.

But games don't go tactically perfectly. Players have to create constantly on and off the ball, and when they don't have it, fight like hell to get it. A lot of the players we're getting rid of just didn't have the intensity to win at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It definitely stings to see Silva lighting it up for DCU, but if TFC uses the allocation wisely and Osorio continues to impress as an AM, it will make the trade more palpable.

WORD POLICE: I think you were going for palatable

ON TOPIC: He was one of the few players of value that we had to get us the cash and allocation we needed to bring some guys in... still waiting for that shoe to drop before assessing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    WORD POLICE: I think you were going for palatable

ON TOPIC: He was one of the few players of value that we had to get us the cash and allocation we needed to bring some guys in... still waiting for that shoe to drop before assessing it.
    In all fairness, many people complained of him underperforming this season as well. It was not just that he was saleable, management thought he was a non-performer to some extent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that TFC has yet to "close the loop" on Silva by bringing in replacements for him, I thought it appropriate to post here. IOW, evaluating what was given up for what you receive in return.

I am not on a mission as you suggest. I have not posted here very frequently (15 posts over several years?) and some other regulars have been discussing Silva in addition to me (someone else posted a link to his goal from the prior match and my guess is that the same would have happened this time around). I thought my posts had a rather neutral tone... he scored another great goal and he has a coach that appreciates him (which is a change from Toronto where he had to endure 4 coaches over 1.5 years including one who said he wouldn't have drafted him if it was his choice).

But with that said, I'll leave any future posts regarding Silva to others.
    Hey, man, I really don't want to jump all over you posting -- I actually find it interesting when we have outsider perspectives in the mix. Someone mentioned that it stings a little to see Silva lighting it up and you'll forgive me if that showed through a little, in the tone of my post. I just felt like you weren't really making a point to directly connect what you posted to the thread, never mind that the same point could have been made, even in the same subtle way you chose to, in the Former players/coaches thread.

At any rate, please accept my apologies for coming off somewhat abrasive. Oh.. and please don't remind us of Mariner ever again; I mean, it felt like there needed to be a scrolling message under his every interview that would state "the views expressed do not represent those of the TFC."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/244389/Korea...ee-bij-PSV.htm

This might end speculation of Park coming to Toronto. Apparently, this is a reliable source according to folks at reddit. Shame, I wanted him here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Park was never coming to Toronto. I don't know how the rumour of him coming to Toronto started. TFC is obviously looking for players from South America for their DP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little update from today, the Neill deal is not happening. Disagreement(s) about compensation.
    Personally, very happy about this. His age was unsettling.

Also, heartbreaking to see Silva talking about learning from DeRo and trying to imitate him on the field (2 starts, 2 goals). Then again really happy for him. Just don't score against us, thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    Little update from today, the Neill deal is not happening. Disagreement(s) about compensation.

Also, heartbreaking to see Silva talking about learning from DeRo and trying to imitate him on the field (2 starts, 2 goals). Then again really happy for him. Just don't score against us, thanks.
    good to hear time and time again that this new management won't throw money at people like its nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/244389/Korea...ee-bij-PSV.htm

This might end speculation of Park coming to Toronto. Apparently, this is a reliable source according to folks at reddit. Shame, I wanted him here
    Yeah, VI is a pretty reliable new source. Personally though, if we're going to sign an old DP, I would hope it would be someone a bit better (no offense intended to any Park fans). Then again YP Lee signed for pretty little, so you never know what could have happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    The fact that they were even thinking about signing him scares me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    The fact that they were even thinking about signing him scares me.
    Agreed. I am very thankful this fell through.

We need to use more of the international slots on low-budget guys with upsides. It can't just be high priced DPs.