Page 155 of 288 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 8618
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    If they wanted patience from supporters the club should have followed the golden rule and not have spoken about incoming transfers. All they did was create false hope, players aren't coming it seems.
    Agreed. And if there hadn't been constant talk of these arrivals, maybe Nelsen wouldn't have been so quick to use this as an excuse for our performance thus far. It's almost like everything this season, in terms of rebuilding the squad, has been hinging on this transfer window - well, if nothing ends up happening, I guess that sets back their master plan by a half season at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree with the young DPs but we seem to be having trouble with the perception of our league and team and players like this have a lot of options abroad. Signing someone like Forlan may help persuade some young South Americans to at least give us a real look.
    110%! this is why I'm still for the Folan signing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Stop it! no more speculating in the speculation thread! I can't take it anymore! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Ill make it easier for you lol... Don't expect anything today or tomorrow. Nothing "Major" anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well most of our picks sucked and the ones who were good were deemed expendable one of our many following regimes. Add in the 'win now' cries and we have the disaster that is us.
    If you or I managed this team since 2007, and we kept every payer we drafted the club would be much better. You need players like Forlan (Dero) to instill excitement, but you also need to retain everyday players such as Cronin, Attakora, Wynne, Silva, Edu etc. Other teams are now benefiting from our blunders. Moving Silva may prove to be the dumbest decision yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    If you or I managed this team since 2007, and we kept every payer we drafted the club would be much better. You need players like Forlan (Dero) to instill excitement, but you also need to retain everyday players such as Cronin, Attakora, Wynne, Silva, Edu etc. Other teams are now benefiting from our blunders. Moving Silva may prove to be the dumbest decision yet.
    I doubt it. I think Cronin will be our worst drafted player dump ever. Edu was a transfer to Europe and besides the cash you can't hold a player back from European ambitions. Silva may or may not become great. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know about anyone else here, but I would definitely back a TFC team with William Gallas. 35 years old, but I think he's better quality than Mellberg. 1 or 2 years on DP would be solid. Minus the few injuries of course. He also would not cost $2 million dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems to be the 'Toronto' problem isn't it.
    Hoping there are some moves in the next day or 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

........ Man oh man.. Silva is a decent player but we've already got a cheaper option with more potential in Osorio on the team. Where was all this praise for Silva 3, 4, 5 weeks ago while he was still with the team? How come no one was anointing him as the next Pope back then?

Out of curiousity, does anyone know when Silva's current contract was expiring? I wonder how much he will end up costing DC when he does resign a new contract and what his production will be. Servicable player yes but if you look at the world as a whole there are better prospects out there that we should be able to sign.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can imagine Leiweke waking up this morning and going, "Hmmmm... can't announce anything today. Royal baby being born."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toto Tamuz is available for free. Yet, we wanna buy Diego Forlan. Pfff!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Toto Tamuz is available for free. Yet, we wanna buy Diego Forlan. Pfff!!!!
    Quite the scoring percentage. Pretty much 100 goals in 200 appearances.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I can imagine Leiweke waking up this morning and going, "Hmmmm... can't announce anything today. Royal baby being born."
    Well, if anything gets announced after today, then you may want to reconsider this post.

But seriously, if they had anyone signed, they would be announcing an announcement about the announcement date.

But seriously they can't keep a secret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As just speculations.....would we be interested in Adrian Mutu? If he stops doing Cocaine and drinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    As just speculations.....would we be interested in Adrian Mutu? If he stops doing Cocaine and drinking?
    Why does he have to stop? Do you want him to realize he just signed for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    Looks like he's scoring roughly 1 in 2 in Ligue 1. Let him do all the cocaine he wants if he could do that for us.

But seriously, no I wouldn't be unless he comes in as a replacement to Koevermans, at a non-dp salary. We already have one old guy capable of scoring. (hoping he recaptures form)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Why does he have to stop? Do you want him to realize he just signed for us?
    chuckle chuckle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Ahmad

XgoalsX Xfreedom fighterX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Considering how Iraq has performed at his age level the last year, that's probably a smart signing. Frankly, anyone at any level puts up those sorts of ratios deserves a look; I said that about a player a few years ago who scored 50 in Malta and apparently approached TFC but they weren't interested. Camilo's doing pretty well in Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Considering how Iraq has performed at his age level the last year, that's probably a smart signing. Frankly, anyone at any level puts up those sorts of ratios deserves a look; I said that about a player a few years ago who scored 50 in Malta and apparently approached TFC but they weren't interested. Camilo's doing pretty well in Vancouver.
    I didn'f know Camilo asked TFC for a tryout. Looks at how he's leading the MLS in scoring now. If thats not one of the biggest blunders in TFC history than I don't what else could top that. Damn Tom Anselmi and MLSE for royally screwing TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    I didn'f know Camilo asked TFC for a tryout. Looks at how he's leading the MLS in scoring now. If thats not one of the biggest blunders in TFC history than I don't what else could top that. Damn Tom Anselmi and MLSE for royally screwing TFC.
    My understanding is his agent contact them about interest and got a "meh." THey didn't even look at his tape.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cochbrain was probably heavily involved with the Camilo indifference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Really wish I didn't read this, I had no idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Cochbrain was probably heavily involved with the Camilo indifference.
    I know it's a million years in the past now, but someone should dig out those files and ask the tough question of: how did we end up signing so many players through so few agents? How was this handled? Were the deals actually made in the best interest of the club? Did the club actually seriously consider offers outside of their core group of agents? People were tripping all over themselves to help this club out early in the day and they were arrogantly turned away by an insular front office group.

Cochrane is the name we always talk about, but i'm sure there are probably a few others who should be turfed as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    ........ Man oh man.. Silva is a decent player but we've already got a cheaper option with more potential in Osorio on the team. Where was all this praise for Silva 3, 4, 5 weeks ago while he was still with the team? How come no one was anointing him as the next Pope back then?

Out of curiousity, does anyone know when Silva's current contract was expiring? I wonder how much he will end up costing DC when he does resign a new contract and what his production will be. Servicable player yes but if you look at the world as a whole there are better prospects out there that we should be able to sign.
    I doubt it. Remember this:

Luis Silva was selected by Toronto FC fourth overall in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft.

Silva attended the University of California Santa Barbara, scoring 17 goals in his senior (fourth) year, becoming UCSB's first NSCAA first team All-American. At the time of his selection, Silva became the highest draft pick in UCSB history. The Los Angeles-born midfielder is one of the all-time leaders at UCSB in many categories, including matches played (tied for first) and goals (fourth) at the end of the 2011 collegiate season. His tremendous senior year earned him a semifinalist nod for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy - the highest individual honour in U.S. intercollegiate soccer.
    College
    2011: NSCAA All-American First Team; College Soccer News All-American First Team; Big West Conference Midfielder of the Year
    Third in NCAA Division I with 44 points
    2011, 2010, 2009: All-Big West Conference First Team
    Tied for sixth all-time in goals at UCSB; fourth in points all-time

You cannot write these guys off so quickly, but that, more than anything, has become a TFC 'tradition'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it. Remember this:

Luis Silva was selected by Toronto FC fourth overall in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft.

Silva attended the University of California Santa Barbara, scoring 17 goals in his senior (fourth) year, becoming UCSB's first NSCAA first team All-American. At the time of his selection, Silva became the highest draft pick in UCSB history. The Los Angeles-born midfielder is one of the all-time leaders at UCSB in many categories, including matches played (tied for first) and goals (fourth) at the end of the 2011 collegiate season. His tremendous senior year earned him a semifinalist nod for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy - the highest individual honour in U.S. intercollegiate soccer.
    College
    2011: NSCAA All-American First Team; College Soccer News All-American First Team; Big West Conference Midfielder of the Year
    Third in NCAA Division I with 44 points
    2011, 2010, 2009: All-Big West Conference First Team
    Tied for sixth all-time in goals at UCSB; fourth in points all-time

You cannot write these guys off so quickly, but that, more than anything, has become a TFC 'tradition'.
    Maybe, but maybe not. Lots of guys in this league were stellar at college but duds in MLS. Lots of things beside individual talent come in to play professionally like dedication to training and mental toughness. Also excelling at the college level is different than in MLS. That being said he may be great or he may be another average MLSer or maybe even a floater bust. Too early to tell so there's no point in going on about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, but maybe not. Lots of guys in this league were stellar at college but duds in MLS. Lots of things beside individual talent come in to play professionally like dedication to training and mental toughness. Also excelling at the college level is different than in MLS. That being said he may be great or he may be another average MLSer or maybe even a floater bust. Too early to tell so there's no point in going on about it.
    Yep O'brian White anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Agreed. And if there hadn't been constant talk of these arrivals, maybe Nelsen wouldn't have been so quick to use this as an excuse for our performance thus far. It's almost like everything this season, in terms of rebuilding the squad, has been hinging on this transfer window - well, if nothing ends up happening, I guess that sets back their master plan by a half season at least.
    People are making way too much out of Nelsen and Payne saying players are coming. Go check just about any team's (MLS or Europe) news and every manager is saying the same things or worse. Saying we hope to have players coming in is the equivalent of saying no comment. Now if you are like David Moyes and are announcing every single offer you make to specific players then you set yourself up to look like a knob if it all falls through.

Besides who really thinks no one, at all, is coming? I for one would rather them take their time and at least try to get good players that are financially responsible and a good fit than have barged into the market and nabbed us up some wicked Gerbas, Usanovs, or Hscanovics. We did that already and I still have horrible visions of Mista floating around out there in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after high hopes and reading some comments from the FO the degree of difficulty in getting these 3 additional players that will change the team's fate seems challenging at best. Apparently, they have or had 2 players in mind for the "WOW" signing. One is a no go since he is not for sale, the other is for sale but wants money even bigger then Beckham. That sounds like I do not want to come but if you pay me crazy money I will. We should drop this idea, it's not going to help us in the short or long term. As others have pointed out, I would like to see more signings like Laba. If we can get Urritti and an attacking midfielder to pair with Laba and Orosio that would be good for this year. In the off season Kovermanns will not be resigned and we will renegotiate Erckersley's contract.

I like our development to point. The team played very well on the weekend, excellent organization and shape on the field, good discipline and a good effort to the last whistle. That is the base of a good team. We need to add the creative and attacking players now. But it needs to be done right. If we make a mistake it can cost us for years. Add a few pieces now and some more in the off season and will be competitive next season, not champions but truly competitive.

I do not want a crazy expensive "Show Pony" that will tie up too much capital for a two year rental.
    Last edited by SKB; 07-22-2013 at 07:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that article. I put the chances of signing a DP 60-40 against. I think the only player I can see coming is Forlan. Leiweke WANTS a marquee name. I mean marquee.

I agree with him in terms of not forcing the club to sign whatever DP is available. SIGN YOUNG PLAYERS WHO HAVE POTENTIAL. Payne needs to continue with his plan. However, it has to be players that will be with the club for some years not short term.